• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
sophie10130

Pokemon Go!

156 posts in this topic

I saw some folks discussing Pokemon Go in the Naugler thread and didn't see one, so I thought I'd start my own!

Pokemon Go is an app game that is free to install and free to use. There are some microtransactions once in the game, however, but paying is not necessary to play or even succeed in the game.

The game is like a virtual GeoCaching game. You open the app and walk around your neighborhood until a Pokemon appears. You then try to catch it. There are PokeStops where you can stop and pick up free items. These are typically at points of interests in your town such as parks, plaques, fountains, etc. There are also gyms where you can battle other Pokemon for the top spot at the gym. There are other aspects to the game, but that's the main gist.

The game has only been released in a few countries (I think, US, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan maybe? correct me if I'm wrong) but they plan on making it worldwide. From what I've also heard, there are more updates in the future, but they've been having a lot of trouble with keeping up with traffic, so those might be pushed back.

I'm 24, soon to be 25, and people my age are in love. The first pokemon game for gameboy came out when I was 7 and was a HUGE DEAL. So now that we can be our own Trainer and walk around town it's super cool. People are having a ton of fun with it and I've already walked something like 8km in the past 2 days, so it's getting kids and teenagers and adults out and exercising and interacting with their communities.

I just downloaded it yesterday (I'm 36!:my_biggrin:), and it's a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to playing it with my kids.

Edited by HearMeRoar

I am 51 and am proud to say I caught my first Pokemon, right here in my kitchen!  This is going to be addictive, I can tell! :)

I've read some people are hooking up with their local Humane Societies to walk dogs while they are playing. I love that people are getting out and walking around because of this game! Myself included.

Edited by sophie10130
lol human societies.

No I did not just take a walk around the block to see what was in this egg, but LOOK AT WHAT WAS IN THE EGG!

image.png

48 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

I've read some people are hooking up with their local Human Societies to walk dogs while they are playing. I love that people are getting out and walking around because of this game! Myself included.

Too funny not to point out - my cats approve!

@Destiny  Is that good?  (I can tell I'm going to have to play in order to understand societal conversations.)

12 minutes ago, Destiny said:

No I did not just take a walk around the block to see what was in this egg, but LOOK AT WHAT WAS IN THE EGG!

image.png

Nice! I have a 2km egg cooking and a 10km egg cooking. I'll be taking a walk with my pup later to see if I can get them to hatch!

2 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Is that good?  (I can tell I'm going to have to play in order to understand societal conversations.)

I have no idea. It was just the only name I knew. I was more of a Power Rangers girl than Pokemon, so I was excited to get something familiar.

What I think is funny is that some of my Facebook friends are finding Pokemons on their cats, and the cats weren't amused. Others said they caught their first one when they were sitting on the couch.

Edited by ADoyle90815

Depending on where you live you might be able to catch some in your house. I haven't been able to except when I put incense down. 

I went down by the waterfront today with my dog and we walked along the water. There are a few stops down there and some people were posted up under a pavilion. A dad talked to me a little bit about it. It was fun! I caught some I hadn't even seen before, so that's pretty cool. 

I am across the country from my friends and family. I wish I were closer so that we could go around together! 

I'm in the UK and am really excited about this coming out here! I know I could download the APK but I want to wait until I can do it properly. It might even be the thing that inspires me to go out running again!

Until it's released here, I will enjoy reading this thread and finding out everything I need to know. :happy:

This game is having wild social impact, sometimes scarily so.

One girl went down by a river to walk, find aquatic Pokemon... And found a dead body!

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/09/technology/pokemon-go-dead-body/

A a group of armed robbers exploited the game: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/10/pokemon-go-armed-robbers-dead-body

A friend of mine woke up the other day and noticed that kids kept steadily coming in front of his house, playing on their phones, and then leaving. Turns out his house is a gym. lol

One person, at a beach, also reported a gym located far out in the water.

68113e0527044602e734cf42ad662ea8.png

@THERetroGamerNY someone kayaked out to that gym and took it for my team lol. #teammystic

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

@theretrogamerny someone kayaked out to that gym and took it for my team lol. #teammystic

How many teams are there?

Just saw this on Twitter: "Pokemon Go does more to combat childhood obesity in 24 hours than Michelle Obama does in 8 years"......lolol ok... So funny!

1 hour ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Three!

Red is Team Valor. Obviously the best.

Blue is Team Mystic

Yellow is Team Instinct

1 hour ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Three: Mystic (blue), Valor (red) (BOO!!!), and Instinct (yellow) (PAWS OFF MY GYM BOOOO!)

15 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

Red is Team Valor. Obviously the best.

I'm sure what you MEANT to say was the WORST, because Mystics are clearly the best. :-P

I SO want to play this game. Why do I live in stupid Germany? Ughhhhh!

@JillyO Have they given a timeline about when they'll roll it out in the rest of the countries yet?

Given how poorly it went in the US, I'm guessing it will be a bit. It's ridiculous how popular the game is. I went to the lake yesterday to hunt and there were over 100 people there doing the same. Including whole families and an 80 year old couple.

11 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

@JillyO Have they given a timeline about when they'll roll it out in the rest of the countries yet?

Rumor has it that it should come to more countries, including Europe, within a few days (possibly Thursday). Though I'm wondering if they'll actually pull through with the timeline because of what @Destiny said.

This lil guy is selling reflective buttons to keep people safe at night while they're playing. So precious. :5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying:

Don't read the comments where everyone's saying he's gonna get sued. But I guess his parents are working with him to make a different design.

http://imgur.com/gallery/dKeCU

In my small town, one has to drive 15 mph, which makes my phone blow up with finds!  Apparently the app thinks I can power walk like a crazy person.  Also, this:

Spoiler

dog pokemon.jpg