• Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
FundieFarmer

Jazz Hands, Sparkle Crotch: Erika Schupe Pt. 9

628 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I don't know if I can pick a favorite. 

Merry Janes

keeping their hair strait

I love them all, they're so wacky. And of course, who could forget that she created the word "decluttering?"

 

You mean cleaning up after yourself?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what the big deal is over "decluttering"...it's easy...throw the shit out! I mean...we downsized from a 4 bedroom house to a 1 bedroom apartment. Even after we moved I tossed out half (or more) of my wardrobe, tossed God only knows how many pairs of shoes, There are some things I have in storage that I don't want to get rid of, and will put out when we move back into a larger place...but I don't get this...if you're constantly "decluttering", you're buying too much shit. 

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

I don't know what the big deal is over "decluttering"...it's easy...throw the shit out! I mean...we downsized from a 4 bedroom house to a 1 bedroom apartment. Even after we moved I tossed out half (or more) of my wardrobe, tossed God only knows how many pairs of shoes, There are some things I have in storage that I don't want to get rid of, and will put out when we move back into a larger place...but I don't get this...if you're constantly "decluttering", you're buying too much shit. 

If it were just myself, I'd agree with you. But a large family just generates a lot of stuff. Think of how many pairs of shoes you have, even at your paid down rate. Now multiply that by 10. And imagine some of them are out grown or worn out every 6 months. It's like that for everything. Stuff like paper, craft stuff, books, etc multiplies at an alarming rate in a big household. Toys make their way in all the time. Decluttering in a big family really is a big deal. Frequent and necessary. And the older the kids get and more able to bring their own crap into the house, the worse the situation. 

10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how so many people take advantage of deals like this! I know it's a big company and they're actually doing fine but it always made me feel like I was being rude or following it to the letter of the law but not the spirit if I got something free without buying something else. I'm sure I'd feel different if I had a huge family and was looking for cheap activities or outings. Still, I have about 300000 buy one get one free coupons saved for a local pasty place I love and I never use them because I'd feel so bad. 

That, and the crowds. I'd rather eat anywhere else than at Jimmy Johns on $1 sandwich day. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

If it were just myself, I'd agree with you. But a large family just generates a lot of stuff. Think of how many pairs of shoes you have, even at your paid down rate. Now multiply that by 10. And imagine some of them are out grown or worn out every 6 months. It's like that for everything. Stuff like paper, craft stuff, books, etc multiplies at an alarming rate in a big household. Toys make their way in all the time. Decluttering in a big family really is a big deal. Frequent and necessary. And the older the kids get and more able to bring their own crap into the house, the worse the situation. 

I did it when I had kids at home...for everything that came in, 2 things went out. Certain things were saved, everything else got tossed. I have no desire to live in clutter or disorganization...I literally can't handle it. I don't buy things I don't need. For example...my kids' school clothes. I got rid of their previous year's clothes before I bought new. They kept books, some toys, lovies. Some things went in totes, other things to Goodwill and still others to the trash.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 13, 2016 at 3:19 PM, princessmahina said:

I don't know if I can pick a favorite. 

Merry Janes

keeping their hair strait

I love them all, they're so wacky. And of course, who could forget that she created the word "decluttering?"

 

 

 

I told my brother that I was decluttering. He answered, "I call that throwing shit in the trash!"

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2016 at 8:23 PM, desertvixen said:

Yes.  I'm not down for any diet that requires me to avoid fruit.

Or carrots. Of all the things I've consumed in my lifetime that may have caused me to gain weight, I'm fairly sure carrots are not in the top 10 list.

Or green beans, tomatoes, squash, artichokes, and avocados. Most people could probably eat some protein and all of Erika's "don't eat" list and be healthy AF.

14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Decluttering in a big family really is a big deal. Frequent and necessary. And the older the kids get and more able to bring their own crap into the house, the worse the situation. 

YES. There are 7 of us. I don't buy a lot of unnecessary stuff, but I do buy a lot of stuff in general because there are a lot of people in this joint.

Three little boys mean I have to buy shoes and jeans pretty much every damn day (seems like). Two teen daughters require longer shorts all the time because their legs keep growing and they don't want to wear shorts that suddenly look like undies.

All 5 play sports and need new shoes/helmets/pants/whatever because they've grown. I ordered 5 pairs of running shoes/cross country spikes and 25 pairs of socks this week alone. Some of the old stuff can be saved for the littlest, but the rest has to be sorted and donated. Add in crafts they've made, toys (Legos, omg), random stuff my husband brings in from his projects, and the 5.8 million pieces of paper they carry home from school, and we basically have to declutter all day, every day to keep it even close to presentable in here.

Edited by SoybeanQueen
spelling
11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm late, but I really like to take care of my heals. I don't want them to get all crusty like Erika's. :) *rye smile*

26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 14, 2016 at 9:06 PM, SoybeanQueen said:

YES. There are 7 of us. I don't buy a lot of unnecessary stuff, but I do buy a lot of stuff in general because there are a lot of people in this joint.

Three little boys mean I have to buy shoes and jeans pretty much every damn day (seems like). Two teen daughters require longer shorts all the time because their legs keep growing and they don't want to wear shorts that suddenly look like undies.

All 5 play sports and need new shoes/helmets/pants/whatever because they've grown. I ordered 5 pairs of running shoes/cross country spikes and 25 pairs of socks this week alone. Some of the old stuff can be saved for the littlest, but the rest has to be sorted and donated. Add in crafts they've made, toys (Legos, omg), random stuff my husband brings in from his projects, and the 5.8 million pieces of paper they carry home from school, and we basically have to declutter all day, every day to keep it even close to presentable in here.

Preach it, sister!  There are only 6 of us, and I hear every word of your post.  We're preparing to move thousands of miles away, so we're trying to pare down.  I get up every morning and think "can we just burn it down and start over?"  Sigh...

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/07/2016 at 1:06 AM, SoybeanQueen said:

YES. There are 7 of us. I don't buy a lot of unnecessary stuff, but I do buy a lot of stuff in general because there are a lot of people in this joint.

Three little boys mean I have to buy shoes and jeans pretty much every damn day (seems like). Two teen daughters require longer shorts all the time because their legs keep growing and they don't want to wear shorts that suddenly look like undies.

All 5 play sports and need new shoes/helmets/pants/whatever because they've grown. I ordered 5 pairs of running shoes/cross country spikes and 25 pairs of socks this week alone. Some of the old stuff can be saved for the littlest, but the rest has to be sorted and donated. Add in crafts they've made, toys (Legos, omg), random stuff my husband brings in from his projects, and the 5.8 million pieces of paper they carry home from school, and we basically have to declutter all day, every day to keep it even close to presentable in here.

We are also a family of seven and my middle two are constantly bring home rocks. They dont look like anything, they're just rocks.

We also go on walks that we call "dinosaur hunts" and they're always bringing home sticks ("dinosaur bones", particularly pterodactyl bones which isnt even a true dinosaur but they wont listen to reason) and i have to wait until they fall asleep to get rid of them because if they catch me, oh man (same with their rocks)

 

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should maybe consider getting yourself a leopard gecko or two to put those just plain rocks to actual use. We have a 55 gallon tank currently housing two geckos and about thirty rocks. I give them a good scrub with a vegetable brush dedicated to scrubbing plain old rocks and then situate them in the warm end of the tank for endless hours of gecko patrol excitement. 

14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One day i'll get another reptile (used to have a grey banded kingsnake) but for now my children are too young and too numerous (4 kids 5 and under) and while my daughter is a super duper animal lover, small and delicate pets are best left to families with older children. But one day we will have something like that, geckos are so stinkin cute.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the diet thing is old news but I'm totally wtfing over no carrots. Aren't they like 15 calories a serving and have tons of nutrients? And you can only eat tomatoes and snow peas once a week like...why? I don't know where this diet came from but I can see Erika loving all the nonsensical rules and rigidity of it. 

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chevreuil said:

We are also a family of seven and my middle two are constantly bring home rocks. They dont look like anything, they're just rocks.

We also go on walks that we call "dinosaur hunts" and they're always bringing home sticks ("dinosaur bones", particularly pterodactyl bones which isnt even a true dinosaur but they wont listen to reason) and i have to wait until they fall asleep to get rid of them because if they catch me, oh man (same with their rocks)

 

I have always told my 3 sons that nature has to stay in nature. And I reap the benefit of that with 2 early elementary school kids and a high schooler. Rocks sticks bugs sand pods flowers leaves?  Have to stay in nature!  Since they have been hearing that their whole lives they believe me. I fawn over and am mildly intrigued with his discovery and even will take a photo of him with his treasure but then we have to return nature to nature. I am a total screw up as a parent but have like 4 kinda smart ideas. The others escape me at this moment but they probly exist.

14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2016 at 0:00 AM, mango_fandango said:

Erika's all about healthy, whole foods eating, but as soon as anywhere gives out free stuff she's there. 

I guess Slurpees can count as Green Smoothies if you get the sour apple flavor.

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest repost is up, guys!! On how to become a master de-clutterer *chuckle*

She just makes me think of Phoebe Buffay singing "lather, rinse, repeat, lather, rinse, repeat"- because that is all she does. 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will there ever be a new blog post? I'd suggest "Teens and Growing Independence" that could cover the Shupe teens being allowed to get jobs, wear pants, and drive. Maybe something about the Shupe opinion on dating. They've moved beyond organizing diaper bags and rotating kids in and out of play pens as all of their kids are over 5 or 6 at this point, so let's get some fresh posts. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought in the past that they could maybe do one about Happy. The whole restricting-his-water-intake thing is stupid and controversial, but that hasn't stopped Erika before. 

This is the problem with this type of blog, which covers random topics and isn't used as a diary like the Maxwell blog. Eventually you run out of topics and end up re posting the same old shit. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding avoiding carrots and tomatoes, I think I have an answer. It seems she must have read something that listed their high "glycemic index." It's kind of misleading; some super healthful foods have a high number, and it's silly to avoid them on that basis when they do so much good for us. There's another thing called "glycemic load," which apparently matters more. I've been concerned about creeping weight gain recently as I head toward menopause, me and Kelly Bates with people thinking late pregnancy, which in my case is definitely not possible, because I had the plumbing blocked years ago after six (which had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with being preposterously fertile, but I am double digressing now,) and ANYWAY:

I realized I eat mostly Mediterranean already, probably some sort of genetic memory, as Mom's parents were from Sicily (sort of, to be overly underdetailed, because Grandma's family was apparently from Messina, but I always heard Grandpa mutter Calabrezi at her when they were fighting en italiano,) and wanted to read more about how I might make this work for me, and found this article at The Atlantic which mentioned the glycemic load as being the thing.

So in conclusion, Erika, boo on food denial, short-term or long-term. Just stop pretending you never eat candy, basically, and make carrots your friend.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

You want diet rules?  Check out the 1972 Weight Watchers plan.  I know they now say that nothing is forbidden, but it didn't use to be the case.

Don't know what happened with the quote.

Edited by smittykins
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I thought in the past that they could maybe do one about Happy. The whole restricting-his-water-intake thing is stupid and controversial, but that hasn't stopped Erika before. 

Yes, maybe a post about taking care of pets in a large family (ON PURPOSE!) I don't have pets, but I'd like to know there are blog posts to reference should things ever change. Thankfully, I already declutter with the best of them.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn that weight watchers thing is freaking complicated as hell. Interesting find!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of the low carb diets say no carrots. No corn or peas as well. I say no one is obese from eating too many carrots. But the diet seems to have worked well for her, and it was healthy enough for short term. It appears she's maintained the loss. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Erika is trying to shill her Lila Rose MLM crap again. One of her followers asks if it's worth the initial investment:

Quote

Is it really worth it? Ive always been hesitant to get involved with these types of things (Tupperware, Creative Memories) because of the initial outlay and selling requirement. But if there is no minimum sales it might be worth it. Do they operate in Australia do you know? I trief to look up the link to becoming a distributor but it didnt work.

As usual, Erika completely deflects:

Quote

I think they operate all over the world as far as I understand it. =) It also makes a great gift idea for cousins, aunts, friends especially with the personal discount; inexpensive, unique, but super pretty.

Way to avoid answering the important question, Erika! :clap:

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.