IGNORED

Jazz Hands, Sparkle Crotch: Erika Schupe Pt. 9

FundieFarmer

We do laundry once a week. We have the small stackable washer/dryer. I would say just for the two of us it's at LEAST 5 loads. Maybe if we had a bigger washer/dryer combo it'd be less, but right now, 5 sounds about right (my hubby does the laundry). There's a load of his scrubs (4 sets), a load of underthings, my clothes and his regular clothes, towels, sheets. Towels may not get done every week, we have a bunch of towels so they get hung up to dry and tossed in the hamper and clean ones used.  Sheets may not get washed weekly either...they get taken off the bed and tossed in a basket in the closet...and clean sheets put on the bed. 

I personally think Erika is just nasty...6 pairs of drawers per person? Damn...I have 8-10 in my drawer. 

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

When was the post about the 8 loads of wash dated? It's possible she did not have the twins yet, so was just 7 small kids. That's still not much, but with a limited wardrobe and not washing towels or bedding often... maybe?

She has several laundry posts but this is the one where she talks about her schedule being two loads on each of four days over the course of the week. It's dated January 2nd, 2016 and specifically says the laundry room is 'perfectly adequate for the 11 of us' so I don't think it's something she wrote awhile ago and just posted more recently.

http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/05/large-family-laundry-strategies-how-i.html

5 minutes ago, pancakes said:

She has several laundry posts but this is the one where she talks about her schedule being two loads on each of four days over the course of the week. It's dated January 2nd, 2016 and specifically says the laundry room is 'perfectly adequate for the 11 of us' so I don't think it's something she wrote awhile ago and just posted more recently.

http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/05/large-family-laundry-strategies-how-i.html

I think she reposted this one. If you look at the comments, the oldest are from may 2011. Then again, not much has changed in terms of the # of people.

I can't believe she only does 8 loads a week; we have 2 kids and also do 8 loads a week!

27 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

We do laundry once a week. We have the small stackable washer/dryer. I would say just for the two of us it's at LEAST 5 loads. Maybe if we had a bigger washer/dryer combo it'd be less, but right now, 5 sounds about right (my hubby does the laundry). There's a load of his scrubs (4 sets), a load of underthings, my clothes and his regular clothes, towels, sheets. Towels may not get done every week, we have a bunch of towels so they get hung up to dry and tossed in the hamper and clean ones used.  Sheets may not get washed weekly either...they get taken off the bed and tossed in a basket in the closet...and clean sheets put on the bed. 

I personally think Erika is just nasty...6 pairs of drawers per person? Damn...I have 8-10 in my drawer. 

I think we have closer to 20 pairs because as I already mentioned, I'm not especially organized when it comes to laundry, lol. 

Erika just posted 2 new pictures, one selfie, and one with the twins. They're in their pj's, so I hope they were just sleepy, but they look "off" to me.

39 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

I think we have closer to 20 pairs because as I already mentioned, I'm not especially organized when it comes to laundry, lol. 

I threw all my holy drawers out...so I'm down to 8-10...but as soon as the cash situation starts getting a bit better, I'll get more. 

42 minutes ago, 16strong said:

Erika just posted 2 new pictures, one selfie, and one with the twins. They're in their pj's, so I hope they were just sleepy, but they look "off" to me.

Erika's smile makes me a little uncomfortable...girlfriend got more teeth than most people I know...she kind of looks like a rictus when she smiles. 

They probably are sleepy. But boy they don't look happy! I'm not gonna snark though- it's probably just a candid shot. 

Definitely a rictus kind of grin on Erika in that selfie. It doesn't look really genuine- it doesn't reach her eyes. 

3 hours ago, 16strong said:

I think they're just listening to their story and not being forced to perform for the camera for once, which is nice! And now I hella want a caramel apple. But I don't want to grimace aggressively at it.

I would be willing to bet they re-wear a lot of things. They live in a cool (well, cool to me, living in the deep south) climate, don't go outside and get sweaty (or stay inside and get sweaty). Sheets probably don't get washed every week either. So if everyone is only wearing 3-4 outfits a week, instead of the 7+ most people wear, the laundry is more manageable and they probably wouldn't smell too bad.

She just posted pictures on her Facebook page. Tie two older girls in pants. Interesting she hasnt updated her blog in a while either. 

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Nope, ALL the girls are in pants!!! :tw_astonished:

Oh my God!!! I just about screamed when I saw the picture!!!! I know Erika admitted that she put the girls in pants if the activity called for it. They went horseback riding so perhaps that's how she justifies it. Still... Definitely seems like change has happened in the Shupe household!!! Someone commented about the girls' pants so now we'll have to wait and see her response...

The twins aren't dressed identically either. One is wearing long sleeves and the other short sleeves. Looks like a fun day - beam

11 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Oh my God!!! I just about screamed when I saw the picture!!!! I know Erika admitted that she put the girls in pants if the activity called for it. They went horseback riding so perhaps that's how she justifies it. Still... Definitely seems like change has happened in the Shupe household!!! Someone commented about the girls' pants so now we'll have to wait and see her response...

I dunno if it's the horseback thing. I found the family farms album from 2012 and the girls are wearing skirts there, riding horses. 

https://m.facebook.com/LargeFamiliesOnPurpose/albums/455582531151520/?ref=page_internal

Not sure if the clothes are an indication that Erika is lightening up, but it's great to see all the Shupettes out of the house and smiling. It looks like they had a nice time and any chance for those kids to interact with non-siblings is great.

Those are legitimate smiles-- not the awkward forced looks you see on say, the Anderson children. I'm also happy to see that Brandon has braces (probably not a new development, but grad school keeps me from stalking the way I used to). I never noticed his teeth before, but I'm glad they're getting seen by real professionals and not just chiropractors. 

Brandon still looks tiny. In that photo of them all sitting on the hay bale you would never guess that he's actually four years older than Riley. He may go through a growth spurt soon but IDK.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Brandon still looks tiny. In that photo of them all sitting on the hay bale you would never guess that he's actually four years older than Riley. He may go through a growth spurt soon but IDK.

Another thing about Brandon is that he is always happily doing the things the littles are doing. Make a zucchini car? Sure! He obviously hasn't hit the no-thanks-I'm-too-grown-up-for-that stage like his big sisters have.

Do we know what job Karen has?

Like everyone else, I'm just stunned by the change of attitude in this household. It has to have something to do with Karen and Melanie growing up, maybe deep down Erika does love her daughters and doesn't want to lose them? Or she's just afraid she'll have to raise her kids herself, I don't know ^^

2 hours ago, nellautumngirl said:

Like everyone else, I'm just stunned by the change of attitude in this household. It has to have something to do with Karen and Melanie growing up, maybe deep down Erika does love her daughters and doesn't want to lose them? Or she's just afraid she'll have to raise her kids herself, I don't know ^^

Isn't she working at the local gym? I think I remember reading that. 

2 hours ago, nellautumngirl said:

Her job is at a gym. 

Yeah, the change is odd. Maybe there were rumblings of dissent from Karen and Melanie about their clothing and Erika said "okay, you can wear pants occasionally". But what is so, so weird is that her whole reasoning behind going skirts only (they did actually wear pants up until Erika's 6th pregnancy, with Tyler) was that a) they were finding it hard to source modest enough pants and B) that wearing pants draws a man's eyes to the crotch. Erika was aaaaaaaaaalllllll about the crotch, hence the second part of this thread title. 

Just now, mango_fandango said:

Her job is at a gym. 

Yeah, the change is odd. Maybe there were rumblings of dissent from Karen and Melanie about their clothing and Erika said "okay, you can wear pants occasionally". But what is so, so weird is that her whole reasoning behind going skirts only (they did actually wear pants up until Erika's 6th pregnancy, with Tyler) was that a) they were finding it hard to source modest enough pants and B) that wearing pants draws a man's eyes to the crotch. Erika was aaaaaaaaaalllllll about the crotch, hence the second part of this thread title. 

That sunnies-wearing emoji is meant to be a B.

Maybe the little girls were allowed to wear pants because of riding horse or maybe last time they went to the farm they found stray in places on your body you don't wanna find it. If it was an exception, I hope the little girls loved wearing them so much that they keep on insisting to wear them like their older sisters. It's five girls vs. one adult (I don't count Bob, I guess he couldn't care less). Fight your way to more freedom, Shupe kids!

I do I'd say three loads every two weeks and no machine-drying (because the environment). And my clothes are perfectly clean.

We have a larger washer, almost 4 cu ft, and there are 7 of us. Nearly everyone is in a school sport or does some type of physical activity regularly, so in addition to normal clothes, we have to wash uniforms, running clothes, etc. We run at least one load a day just for clothes. Maybe I'm too focused on not overloading the washer, because I think it's better for the clothes to not be scrunched in there.

I run a load for all of the towels from my bathroom, a separate one for the kids bathroom, and another one for kitchen (towels, pot holders, dish cloths) and cleaning cloths. Bedding is another 4 loads, probably. More if I wash all of the featherbeds/mattress covers.

That puts us at 14 loads of wash per week. I have no idea how Erika does less than that without cramming things in the washer in a way that doesn't let them get clean!

• December locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived