IGNORED

Seventeen - Not the Magazine - Bateseseses Threads!

SpoonfulOSugar

1 hour ago, Exjw2015deed said:

They have same production company. I wrote a breakdown of it in an older post. The producers started taking them more seriously when viewership rose.

Where was that?  Could you link back to your post because I couldn't find it on a quick look and am very interested.  The production company is Figure 8 Films, IIRC.  Not a company that has much honesty or credibility although they would like us to believe that they are focused on truth ...

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On June 29, 2016 at 11:27 AM, 19 cats and counting said:

Can I just say that I think some of these Bates fans on IG are downright creepy.  Someone already made an account for Kaci Lynn and recently accounts were made for the youngest 2 sons.

I just think it's wrong to make a social media account using a minor's name.

Please tell me you are joking??? I am skeeved out enough by the FJ'ers who are planning Jinger's wedding.

I'm trying really hard to remember some of the things Jana has been shown doing. She obviously can sew, cook, clean, care for children, and play the piano. But I think they've showed her tiling floors and painting. I do believe Jana is probably good at a lot of stuff. She was forced to be as oldest girl in a family of 21. I don't really see Jana as timid or shy. She's just quite. I see a difference between quiet and shy. She's like Michael in that she doesn't blab on and on and on like Jill or Carlin always seem to. 

17 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I'm sure that is the case (I don't doubt you) but my point remains the same. The Duggars were painted with a brush that minimized their competency at the outset of their television "career" and the Bates with a brush that enhanced their competency. I think a lot of that has colored the perception of the members of the families.

I'm actually on my phone so I could only screen shot my previous post. I'm actually agreeing with your assertion. The duggars were certainly the dress rehearsal and this company listened to Duggar criticism and were sure to show the opposite. A poster a little while back listed the comparisons of how careful producers subtly say "hey we are like the duggars but less evil and funny". I'm sure figure8 took a hit when 19 kids and counting was cancel, so was more careful with bringing up bates.

Spoiler

image.png

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'm trying really hard to remember some of the things Jana has been shown doing. She obviously can sew, cook, clean, care for children, and play the piano. But I think they've showed her tiling floors and painting. I do believe Jana is probably good at a lot of stuff. She was forced to be as oldest girl in a family of 21. I don't really see Jana as timid or shy. She's just quite. I see a difference between quiet and shy. She's like Michael in that she doesn't blab on and on and on like Jill or Carlin always seem to. 

She's been showing tiling, painting, and woodworking. She also did some sawing and cutting of wood for the treehouse that the Duggars definitely paid someone to do, but she had the best (as far as I saw) technique. And we know that JB has used his kids to renovate and update his properties, including the house Jessa and Ben now live in. I think she probably picked up a decent skill set from that for a person without any technical training. 

45 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Where was that?  Could you link back to your post because I couldn't find it on a quick look and am very interested.  The production company is Figure 8 Films, IIRC.  Not a company that has much honesty or credibility although they would like us to believe that they are focused on truth ...

Breakdown was a little dramatic of a word. But on my free time I've been researching how much this company has benefited from the duggars and if they ever had meetings with producers discussing changing the tone of the show.

@Exjw2015deed I misunderstood! But yeah, it is pretty obvious that they are each feeling the effects of their disparate marketing team. I'm not surprised to hear that they're the same company, I think a lot of the shows are formulaic in a way that speaks to the same production team.

2 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

No sorry if I was confusing. I was saying that Chad is generally competent and good at crafting and fixing, and that this is generally discussed in comparison to Erin, which to me indicates that she may not be so good at those things.

As to Jana, before Counting On Tricking Viewers Into Thinking We Are Normal premiered, she was shown on 19KAC doing lots of crafty projects and JB did teach the children to do a lot of work as free labor an educational opportunity. I believe we previously discussed he once said she should have been born a boy because she was so good at manual labor type stuff.

Yeah I heard that recently. But I wonder if they are exaggerating when they say she's amazing when it come to doing those things like they do with her musical skills, etc. When they say she's incredible at manual labor or doing projects they're probably small mundane tasks that a good amount of women can do.

1 minute ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

Yeah I heard that recently. But I wonder if they are exaggerating when they say she's amazing when it come to doing those things like they do with her musical skills, etc. When they say she's incredible at manual labor or doing projects they're probably small mundane tasks that a good amount of women can do.

I don't think she is amazing, since she has no technical skills, and I'm sure they do exaggerate. But I do think she is competent and could generally fend for herself on those kinds of projects. She seems pretty sharp on those matters, considering that her curiosity was trained out of her and her education is limited. I definitely don't think she is a crafting prodigy but I think she is probably as generally competent as any given Bates.

7 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Please tell me you are joking??? I am skeeved out enough by the FJ'ers who are planning Jinger's wedding.

To be fair that thread started as a joke just to be snarky. And some people just take it way too seriously without remembering we are actually talking about the duggars. Only Jill Rodrigues could ever surpass them

UpTV has a clip of Lawson looks like he is hanging out with Emily Ann Roberts from "The Voice" 

unless that was already talked about?

2 hours ago, hollywood said:

UpTV has a clip of Lawson looks like he is hanging out with Emily Ann Roberts from "The Voice" 

unless that was already talked about?

Wasn't there talk in some previous thread about Lawson maybe trying out for The Voice? I vaguely remember it, but I don't remember where. Maybe he thinks cozying up to someone who was on there will increase his chances of getting on if he's interested in trying.

My heart breaks for all these people in this cult but I feel especially bad for Little Judson. I feel the same about Jennifer and Jordyn Duggar. I think that Judson is tossed aside more than the other ones because Jeb is the baby and so close in age. It seems like the focus is always on Jeb and Judson seems so sweet and when Gil broke his bike it broke my heart. 

Gil broke Judson's bike? I love Judson!!!  Did he fix it?  If not, where can I send Judson a new one?

19 hours ago, Exjw2015deed said:

I'm actually on my phone so I could only screen shot my previous post. I'm actually agreeing with your assertion. The duggars were certainly the dress rehearsal and this company listened to Duggar criticism and were sure to show the opposite. A poster a little while back listed the comparisons of how careful producers subtly say "hey we are like the duggars but less evil and funny". I'm sure figure8 took a hit when 19 kids and counting was cancel, so was more careful with bringing up bates.image.png

OK.  Now I get it.  I think you are over-simplifying the mechanics of the situation.  It's hardly my field - you need someone who knows about independent film companies and cable and network TV work together. The unReality TV stuff burns my butt.  Figure 8 Films seems deliberately to prey upon cast people living in states with lax child labor laws too.

I've been looking into this for years and done some reading ... so add the opinions below to your arsenal and keep researching because we all need to work on this in our free time.

So IMO:

Figure 8 Films really got their big break with the Gosselins.  They'd done a few things before but John and Kate Plus 8 was their first major hit.  They usually work by shooting a pilot and a follow-up and then selling the show as a series.  You can see that with both the Gosselins and Duggars and a lot of their one-off productions too.

Once the show is sold to a network - like Discovery/TLC - you get massive input from there too.  So it would (technically) be a 3-way discussion as to how the story-line progresses.  The network calls the shots, Figure 8 follows that direction, and family input and control depends entirely on what is in their contracts.  Some people are cleverer than others about their contracts but the terms of the ones that have been leaked (they are highly confidential) are appalling.  Families are at the mercy of the network decisions about what is filmed and how it is edited.   The Gosselins were colossally stupid, naive, or greedy (depending on what you think of them) when they signed their Discover/TLC contract.

As TLC cancelled the United Bates of America, probably because the Bateses were too similar to the Duggars, the Bateses and Figure 8 presumably sat down and repackaged the family image to be more salable.  UPTV picked up the series and now has influence over the story line.

I pity any minor whose parents have involved them in a "documentary."  You would think that people might have learned from the Louds or the Dionnes,

And we really should watch these shows with a critical eye.  Basically nothing we watch is really "real."

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

So IMO:

Figure 8 Films really got their big break with the Gosselins.  They'd done a few things before but John and Kate Plus 8 was their first major hit.  They usually work by shooting a pilot and a follow-up and then selling the show as a series.  You can see that with both the Gosselins and Duggars and a lot of their one-off productions too.

Once the show is sold to a network - like Discovery/TLC - you get massive input from there too.  So it would (technically) be a 3-way discussion as to how the story-line progresses.  The network calls the shots, Figure 8 follows that direction, and family input and control depends entirely on what is in their contracts.  Some people are cleverer than others about their contracts but the terms of the ones that have been leaked (they are highly confidential) are appalling.  Families are at the mercy of the network decisions about what is filmed and how it is edited.   The Gosselins were colossally stupid, naive, or greedy (depending on what you think of them) when they signed their Discover/TLC contract.

As TLC cancelled the United Bates of America, probably because the Bateses were too similar to the Duggars, the Bateses and Figure 8 presumably sat down and repackaged the family image to be more salable.  UPTV picked up the series and now has influence over the story line.

I pity any minor whose parents have involved them in a "documentary."  You would think that people might have learned from the Louds or the Dionnes,

And we really should watch these shows with a critical eye.  Basically nothing we watch is really "real."

I agree. But producers have almost the same amount of input as the network if not more. The producers are there day to day interviewing the "talent". They also meet with the families go over their schedules and decide what would be interesting to film and suggest changes. I read holly Madison's book "Into the rabbit hole", and she really gave a deep perspective how producers work with the "talent", and make suggestions for upcoming story lines; i.e. Visiting family, travel, parties. 

So they set up the events and film them in that environment. So figure8 most likely is the one who comes up with story lines, the network approves, the production company; films, edits, and handles interviews. To my knowledge, depending on the size and value of the production company determines how much control and involvement the network has.

For instance, after Shonda Rhimes gave Abc, Greys Anatomy and Scandal, her production company shondaland pretty much have a lot more control and most likely a contract with the network to give them first access to any show.

Figure 8 seems quite the juggernaut, I doubt UpTv who plays reruns, wields much power over them. Even their website shows they're devoted to bringing up bates and it has given them a much larger audience. 

Of course, that is majority speculation. I think this company is the one really controlling behind the scenes and was sure to repackage the bates so they are not viewed as country side kicks of the duggars. 

http://www.etonline.com/news/165199_19_kids_producer_2009/

This article sort of explains the behind the scenes with figure8.

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Why and how did Gil break Judson's bike?!

He was backing his truck up for the logs, one of the kids were directing him and he ran over judson's bike. He looked so sad, Gil held him apologized and allowed Judson to display a small amount of anger/disappointed (a lot for a fundie, but alas he is a boy).Gil then took it to their shed and replaced the front wheel.

You know those families always own like 50 bikes with no breaks. But I know his bike was his birthday present so it was probably a big deal to the kid.

It happens. I think my uncle ran over my bike and I got in trouble for not bringing it back to wear it belonged, like I was supposed to. 

46 minutes ago, Exjw2015deed said:

For instance, after Shonda Rhimes gave Abc, Greys Anatomy and Scandal, her production company shondaland pretty much have a lot more control and most likely a contract with the network to give them first access to any show.

Fruit and vegetables or even meat and bread.

Regular scripted TV and (un)reality TV are barely related. 

21 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Fruit and vegetables or even meat and bread.

Regular scripted TV and (un)reality TV are barely related. 

Fair enough. Okay maybe then Bunim-Murray productions. Or even Ryan seacrest productions.

Gil ran over Judson's bike with his truck but he was shown fixing it so Judson got his bike back.

Saw this on the Duggar & Bates Confessions page via Tumblr. So I am guessing that someone did not get approved to join FJ. Oh the bitterness........ Lol

Spoiler

image.jpeg

I know this is a Bates thread, but I was just thinking how Boob and DQ called Jana a concert pianist and I was trying to remember if they have ever shown Jana playing the piano on their show?  I know we have seen Josh, Jessa and Jinger playing, but has Jana ever been featured playing?  And if not, why hasn't that been part of a show.  Weird. 

1 hour ago, doubleT said:

I know this is a Bates thread, but I was just thinking how Boob and DQ called Jana a concert pianist and I was trying to remember if they have ever shown Jana playing the piano on their show?  I know we have seen Josh, Jessa and Jinger playing, but has Jana ever been featured playing?  And if not, why hasn't that been part of a show.  Weird. 

And that at all of her siblings' weddings, Erin Bates has played instead of her. If my sister was a pianist, I think her playing at my wedding would be a beautiful gift... 

Yes, the day of making up facts and passing it as real has comE!!! This deserves some ice cream. And it's because of the post, not because it's boiling outside

I love how the person who posted on Tumblr seems to think that she knows Erin personally.  She clearly has never visited this forum either.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived