IGNORED

Seventeen - Not the Magazine - Bateseseses Threads!

SpoonfulOSugar

21 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I think about this a lot when reading assessments of their behavior. They're still people, underneath all the waxy veneer.

Unlike Spain and other small countries, the U.S. has different rules in each state, per the best needs of that state, in general. Highly urban states set the age limit higher; rural and farming states set the limit lower. Here in Ohio, under 18s have to take and pass an official driving school course which is done in normal traffic, and they are meant to have had a large number of hours behind the wheel with a guardian. The test is done on regular roads (in New Jersey you drive a course,) but first there is a maneuverability test, which is better than the old parallel parking test. You drive forward between cones 40 feet (12 meters,) back up between them to the left, then forward and back to the right. If you touch a cone, you fail. And if you can pass it, you can definitely parallel park, which is still done here downtown and in most neighborhoods.

In New Jersey, I drove on main roads. There was a course for the parallel parking and obstacle/pedestrian things, as well as the maneuverability and K-turns, but I turned out of the course into regular traffic. 

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

In Spain you have to be 18 to learn to drive and no way you can do It with your family, you have to go to a driver school and practice with a driving teacher using a special car with double pedals (there are pedals in both seats, so if you don't drive well, the teacher can stop the car, accelerate, etc) . You do the classes in the real world: in the city, on the highway, etc, and the driver exam is also in the city. Obtaining the permission is expensive and a bit difficult. And most 18-20 years old don't have a car: cars and car taxes are quite expensive.

If I had the option of using public transportation, I'd totally take it, especially to work.  Unfortunately in the vast majority of the US, it's useless, if it even exists.

2 hours ago, season of life said:

So, with Jinger getting hitched, who is gonna get married from the Bates family next? Tori is honestly too young, and I don't think she is in a huge rush. Jinger will probably get pregnant after her wedding, so somebody in the Bates clan has to match her. I'm guessing Alyssa.

Alyssa is already married, and has a kid.

18 minutes ago, Arix said:

Alyssa is already married, and has a kid.

I know, I meant I believed Alyssa would have her second child.

Guys, I was on Erin's Instagram and Becky commented that she was annoyed that Joey, Chad's brother, accepted her follow request only to block her less than a day later. I betcha she badgered him about Chad and got annoying, which got herself blocked.

50 minutes ago, season of life said:

I know, I meant I believed Alyssa would have her second child.

Guys, I was on Erin's Instagram and Becky commented that she was annoyed that Joey, Chad's brother, accepted her follow request only to block her less than a day later. I betcha she badgered him about Chad and got annoying, which got herself blocked.

That's interesting since there's no Joey Paine.  There is a Johnny Paine.  Maybe she meant him or maybe she friended some Joey guy who's completely unrelated.  She needs a reality check.

Question for those in the US - with different states having different ages to pass your test, what are the rules for a young driver who's passed their test in say Arkansas (where the age is low) going to somewhere where the age is high?  In this case they have a licence from the home state, but are too young to qualify to drive in a different state, are they allowed to drive there as they have a valid licence?

11 hours ago, Casserole said:

In New Jersey, I drove on main roads. There was a course for the parallel parking and obstacle/pedestrian things, as well as the maneuverability and K-turns, but I turned out of the course into regular traffic. 

None of my kids who learned there did. Thus, it is either not the same in all areas of the state, or in a different era. But here there are no license bureau test courses that I'm aware of, other than for the maneuverability portion.

I didn't even have to pass any of the parking to get my license ages ago in Kansas City. No doubt that won't fly there now.

There is something else different about the U.S. than other places, I imagine. In the states I've lived in, I've been to two DMVs, an MVC, a BMV, and an SOS, to take and renew licenses. No doubt there are others.

5 hours ago, imokit said:

Question for those in the US - with different states having different ages to pass your test, what are the rules for a young driver who's passed their test in say Arkansas (where the age is low) going to somewhere where the age is high?  In this case they have a licence from the home state, but are too young to qualify to drive in a different state, are they allowed to drive there as they have a valid licence?

You can't cross state lines with a driver's permit. After you get your license (at 16 or older) you can drive everywhere. 

6 hours ago, imokit said:

http://patch.com/new-jersey/caldwells/know-the-law-before-driving-outofstate_c1fc83df

In NJ - this is a good explanation. So NJ has a permit (age 16), probationary license (age 17), and an unrestricted license (18+.) With a permit, you cannot cross state borders. The probationary license has strict rules of not being on the road between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. and not having more than 1 non-family member in the car, etc. You *can* cross state lines, but you must follow other states' probationary rules if they have them. For example, like the article says, if you went from NJ to NY, while in NJ you can be on the road to 11 p.m., but in NY you must be off the road at 9 p.m.

It gets complicated, and of course you could play with fire and hope not to get pulled over. In NJ there are ID tags that go on the car to identify a 17 year old driver (I think they velcro if you share a car?) but of course plenty of kids pull them off and hope they don't get pulled over. 

In Norway you have to be 18 to get a licence. You can get a permit from 16, but you have to either have a scooter licence or take basic traffic course first. Before you can take your driver's test you need to have some mandatory things done, like driving in the dark and a slippery driving course. Then there's a written test and a practical test. The driving in the dark course can only be done in the winter months, because it doesn't get dark enough here during the summer, so if you take your test in the summer months you have to come back and finish it.  

On 8/25/2016 at 3:19 PM, JillyO said:

Wow. Whitney bounces back REALLY fast!

I wonder if she's using one of those belly wrap things. I read about them on one fundie blog (The Modest Mom). I often wondered if Jessa was using one because her stomach looked so flat after she gave birth. 

Or maybe they're both just really genetically blessed. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived