IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 21: As many threads as Duggars

samurai_sarah

i am NOT ragging on josie, never will, so don't even think that...but, i opened the video on their facebook page called "josie's first piano lesson". i was expecting maybe a scale or even finding middle c with her thumbs. but no!   what she has learned is which is her right hand and which is her left! and the leg humpers are falling all over themselves. why would anyone post that on facebook???

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I am not sure what you mean when you say it is "funny" that Cruz isn't endorsing Trump.  Do you mean that you think he ought to endorse Trump because Trump is so much nastier about Hilary? Or do you mean it serves Trump right, after all the insults leveled at Cruz, that Cruz isn't jumping on the bandwagon?

I meant it purely in a language sense; that sort of narrow form of irony. People called him Satan because of his face, but I mean, if they'd liked him, they wouldn't have. Trump's followers are calling Clinton Satan because of the views she's currently expressing, plus, it can't be ignored, a number of them still perceive female leaders as nastily clawing over men to reach the top. Cruz is on neither of their sides mostly because he's on only his own side, and if I could muster an opinion of my own, I'd agree that's playing some very long odds.

I guess we've finally reached critical mass, for something or other, and Trump is the match his followers wish to strike. My impression of Clinton supporters is that she got to where she is later than they hoped, and it must seem awfully unfair for her to have to fight this hard for it.

15 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

To the posters who mentioned voting for potted plants...I suggest baby Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy

#WeAreGroot2016

As "groot" in my language means "great", that somehow seems even more appropriate! :my_biggrin:

8 hours ago, griffin said:

i am NOT ragging on josie, never will, so don't even think that...but, i opened the video on their facebook page called "josie's first piano lesson". i was expecting maybe a scale or even finding middle c with her thumbs. but no!   what she has learned is which is her right hand and which is her left! and the leg humpers are falling all over themselves. why would anyone post that on facebook???

these are the same people who post private anniversary messages to the world aka JB and Moochelle about how much they in love 

a piano lesson please - i am surprised we don't get video of the kid going poo 

33 minutes ago, nst said:

these are the same people who post private anniversary messages to the world aka JB and Moochelle about how much they in love 

a piano lesson please - i am surprised we don't get video of the kid going poo 

a la l Kate Gosselin taking pictures of her kids pooping in the toilet.

9 hours ago, griffin said:

Was the video recent?  Shouldn't she know right from left by now?

1 hour ago, gustava said:

Was the video recent?  Shouldn't she know right from left by now?

Looks quite recent. To be fair, I still had a hard time with left and right when I was around her age, and when I taught Taekwondo to little kids, I had to give a lot of left/right crash courses to preschool and kindergarten-aged kids. I think that the Duggar kids are intellectually and emotionally stunted and that Josie is infantilized by her parents/sister-parents, but on this particular front, I'm not actually that bothered or worried. Though I'd wait to post videos until she's, ya know, playing some songs or scales or something. Though because Josie is the Golden Miracle Child, and judging from Duggar standards of proficiency and excellence, I'm sure that Josie successfully playing a scale will qualify her to be called a World Renowned Concert Pianist Who Is Possibly Better Than Jana.

7 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Looks quite recent. To be fair, I still had a hard time with left and right when I was around her age, and when I taught Taekwondo to little kids, I had to give a lot of left/right crash courses to preschool and kindergarten-aged kids. I think that the Duggar kids are intellectually and emotionally stunted and that Josie is infantilized by her parents/sister-parents, but on this particular front, I'm not actually that bothered or worried. Though I'd wait to post videos until she's, ya know, playing some songs or scales or something. Though because Josie is the Golden Miracle Child, and judging from Duggar standards of proficiency and excellence, I'm sure that Josie successfully playing a scale will qualify her to be called a World Renowned Concert Pianist Who Is Possibly Better Than Jana.

I agree that Josie is not backward in this.

Although some kids can tell right from left as early as age three, I think the average age is six with some perfectly normal kids taking until eight.  I think about 5% of the adult population (with average or higher IQ) have some problems with the left/right distinction.

So I see no reason to snark about Josie.

Just now, EmCatlyn said:

I agree that Josie is not backward in this.

Although some kids can tell right from left as early as age three, I think the average age is six with some perfectly normal kids taking until eight.  I think about 5% of the adult population (with average or higher IQ) have some problems with the left/right distinction.

So I see no reason to snark about Josie.

I still sometimes get them mixed up an I'm a grown-ass adult.

20 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I get confused also and I'm an adult also. Considering I'm left-handed I didn't think I still have a problem. 

18 hours ago, griffin said:

That is part of the first piano lesson, speaking as a teacher. My students go home with a poster-paper of a tracing of both their hands, with the finger numbers. Josie didn't seem to want to show too much; raised the hand then dropped it. Well, it being the first lesson, I guess she was nervous and not wanting to film.

9 hours ago, manda b said:

a la l Kate Gosselin taking pictures of her kids pooping in the toilet.

That was gross to watch, Jon was grossed out as well but not as bad them showing Hannah pooing her pants, same with Duggar's filming Josie having an accident those kids will be embarrassed.

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I get confused also and I'm an adult also. Considering I'm left-handed I didn't think I still have a problem. 

For me, being left-handed is maybe part of the problem. That is to say, I knew left hand and right hand very early, apparently. However, if you ask me about orientation, I can more easily do cardinal and ordinal directions rather than just saying, "turn right." I usually have to make hand motions to be certain. :-) I have always assumed it's because I spend a lot of time doing things upside down or backwards.

I have some beginner piano lesson books. They have big pictures of the hands, marked left and right, with numbers on them, placed over a picture of the marked keys. I figure it's so the teacher can use it variously depending on what the kid can already understand.

I have to point when giving directions too. I will tell you "turn right" when I mean "you're other right."

To compound the issue, the GPS on my phone often does the same thing. It's very annoying, because I rely on it to get around.

my point wasn't about a child's comprehension or progress. my point was that it was ridiculous to video and post a "first piano lesson" when there was nothing to see. why not wait and post her plinking out something? they ( not josie ) are so desperate for attention

5 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

As I said, a out 5% of the adult population don't always know left from right.  There is really two parts to this: one is the sense of which hand is which  (usually connected to recognizing the dominant hand) and the other is spatial location -- knowing the directions outside the self. 

The "recognizing which hand" part, I mastered by age 6-- probably somewhat sooner.  Spatial directions, on the other hand, are among my weaknesses.  I would go left when told to go right, send people to the right when I needed to send them left, and totally confuse friends by saying one direction and indicate the other with my hand.  ("Do you want me to turn right or in the direction that you are pointing?" my mom would ask me when I was giving her directions in the car.)  Thank God for the phone GPS.  It has made getting places much less stressful.

But I could always hokey pokey.  When they said "Put your right foot in," I didn't hesitate. In terms of body-sense, I always know which is "left" and therefore which is "right." (I am lefthanded, so my strong sense is of my dominant hand), but my general space-location sense is a bit defective. ;)

There is so much that is legitimately snarkable about the Duggars.  Why pick on Josie for needing to be reminded about right and left?

32 minutes ago, griffin said:

my point wasn't about a child's comprehension or progress. my point was that it was ridiculous to video and post a "first piano lesson" when there was nothing to see. why not wait and post her plinking out something? they ( not josie ) are so desperate for attention

Agreed.  But it's more that they can't tell what is or isn't worthy of attention.  And then when we make a big deal about how ridiculous their posting X is, we give them the attention.

17 hours ago, fraurosena said:

As "groot" in my language means "great", that somehow seems even more appropriate! :my_biggrin:

Make America Groot Again

My computer told me this posted like right after fraurosena posted this but then just posted it now when I reopened my computer... my bad! I can see others have also made this (hilarious) joke.

I just not sad thinking that the Duggar kids can't do the Hokey Pokey  (isn't it Hokey Cokey is the UK?) as it's considered dancing.  I bet they can't even do "Head, shoulders, knees and toes (knees and toes)". :(

10 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

For me, being left-handed is maybe part of the problem. That is to say, I knew left hand and right hand very early, apparently. However, if you ask me about orientation, I can more easily do cardinal and ordinal directions rather than just saying, "turn right." I usually have to make hand motions to be certain. :-) I have always assumed it's because I spend a lot of time doing things upside down or backwards.

I'm exactly the same and I'm left handed. For example, the time I annoyed a taxi driver...On the way back to my flat I was giving directions to a taxi driver who hadn't a clue where to go. A turning came up and I told him to turn right. He asked me if I was 100% sure it was right because I was pointing left, I assured him I was 10000% sure it was right. We turn right and I go 'oh, wait, shite, it was left'.

Go me.

37 minutes ago, Bushes of Love said:

I'm exactly the same and I'm left handed. For example, the time I annoyed a taxi driver...On the way back to my flat I was giving directions to a taxi driver who hadn't a clue where to go. A turning came up and I told him to turn right. He asked me if I was 100% sure it was right because I was pointing left, I assured him I was 10000% sure it was right. We turn right and I go 'oh, wait, shite, it was left'.

Go me.

I suppose we all have stories like that. :-) Once I point, I know which direction it is, though; I just need to follow my hand. But it would be easier to just say "turn west when you get to the Speedway," or "it's on the side of the street with the pet adoption thrift store, just past the fancy spa."

6 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I just not sad thinking that the Duggar kids can't do the Hokey Pokey  (isn't it Hokey Cokey is the UK?) as it's considered dancing.  I bet they can't even do "Head, shoulders, knees and toes (knees and toes)". :(

Yeah, now that you mention it, they probably didn't learn most of the traditional kids' songs--not just because they may involve dancing but because they are "secular."  I wonder if they even occasionally got to watch Sesame Street.

17 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Yeah, now that you mention it, they probably didn't learn most of the traditional kids' songs--not just because they may involve dancing but because they are "secular."  I wonder if they even occasionally got to watch Sesame Street.

Oh hell no! They talked to kids on that show about parents being in prison, told boys and girls it was okay to cry, there was tons of dancing (Savion!!!), and singing silly songs (Ladybug Picnic, Teeny Little Superguy, and the one song about the alligator king and he had a long of rings?), and they had bands and celebrities on all the time. Plus Oscar liked living in his trash can. It taught kids about love and loss and NOT in a fundie way. And remember when Ernie was NAKIE in the TUB with Rubber Ducky?!

Yeah, definitely no Sesame Street for them, unfortunately. I can't think of who it was, but I recently just talked to someone who couldn't watch Sesame Street when they were little because it was deemed to "urban." Hell, my mom loved it so much she would watch it with us!

Was Jana behind the camera talking to Josie?

its pretty sad but especially for the younger girls the only Duggar member who seems to be around/involved is Jana. No wonder extra SADH's are needed for various duties: see Tabitha Paine, Mandie Query.

7 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

Yeah, definitely no Sesame Street for them, unfortunately. I can't think of who it was, but I recently just talked to someone who couldn't watch Sesame Street when they were little because it was deemed to "urban." Hell, my mom loved it so much she would watch it with us!

It was very urban in the early days. I have a tape where they are playing in a construction site, going up ladders and through pipes, and spilled some old water from a worker's bucket on themselves. Different than the late '80s and later.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • samurai_sarah unpinned this topic

Archived