IGNORED

Marjorie Writes a Book on Love

goldfishgoddess

Why do I get the funny feeling that once this book is "pubished" Marjorie's mistake of referring to  Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty as an item will be the least of the mistakes and/or untruths in this masterpiece of love wisdom.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe if Peppermint Patty weren't wearing pants and playing football with the boys, her courtship would have gone better.

Should be a real quick read, what is she....17?

Then again, if Gothard can be an expert on marriage and kids when he has never even kissed a woman, who knows?  "Cringe"

Here's her blog entry about it: https://marjoriejackson.wordpress.com/

It doesn't sound like a tell-all to me. It actually sounds like a version of 'The Four Loves' by C.S. Lewis dumbed down and sanitized for a fundie teen girl audience. I also can't help but roll my eyes a bit at a 17-year-old girl giving out sage love advice, but what else is new.

Lol I had to stop at Romeo and Juliet. Anyone who mistakes their lust fueled death pact as a "love story" isn't worth continuing to listen to.

No,they weren't.  Peppermint Patty and Marcy were the strip's closeted lesbian couple.

Well Marcie was in love with PP, but it was never shown that PP felt even the slightest bit of attraction to Marcie. She did, however, voice a lot about love over the years, especially in relation to Charlie Brown, and it's pretty established that she was crushing on him.

Peanuts.gif

Peppermint Patty Charlie Brown.jpg

Peppremint Patty Redheaded Girl..gif

I am nearly double this child's age and she thinks she can write about love? She doesn't even know the meaning of the word! I know nothing about relationships (I've been in long term ones before but I am terrible at relationships!) plus she was in a courtship; the sex and emotions didn't really even come into it!

Edit to remove tapatalk sig

I am nearly double this child's age and she thinks she can write about love? She doesn't even know the meaning of the word! I know nothing about relationships (I've been in long term ones before but I am terrible at relationships!) plus she was in a courtship; the sex and emotions didn't really even come into it!

Edit to remove tapatalk sig

She's probably thinking she's at least one up on the Dugger Girls, none of whom had been in a courtship/relationship when they wrote their book.  Can we just take a moment to reflect on that god-awful courtship announcement? Cringe.

Oh dear this should be good. I thought that she was a bit of a um how to say this nicely "attention seeker" when I saw the courtship announcement. Now I want to see what she has to say on love because clearly she knows all. Someone needs to tell her that "she knows nothing!" 

At seventeen, I didn't believe in "love," let alone have the gumption to write about it... so I suppose she one-ups me in that way, only this is going to be more cringe-worthy than my previous pessimism.

I don't care how fame-whorey she may be - WRITE IT, girl. She's a fundie who is allowed to express herself in a better-than-Maxwell way, so go for it. 

And who knows, maybe this could be a real asset to other fundie lite girls who need to know what love ISN'T. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the stereotypical "fundie approved" message about love. Waiting, not giving your heart away to just anyone, etc. I doubt we'll hear anything about her courtship unless she uses it as a way of saying "this is why you should be like me and not give your heart away, rather let your parents make the emotional decisions for you."

Seriosly though, didn't we all think we were experts on love at 17?  The difference is if I had tried to publish a book about it my mom would have had a little come to Jesus talk with me about keeping a journal rather than embarrassing myself in public.

True. If I had had a PC at her age, and social media to market myself I might have done something similar. I was verbally strong, enjoyed writing and read a lot so I was intellectually ahead of my age group. Now of course it is easy to see that everything I would have written would have been just a summary of what I had read. At that age (unless your life was very unusual or traumatic) you would have no original thought or real insights to add. A book like that would be a huge source of shame later on. Unless you would never mature beyond 17.

Thankfully, like you, I have parents that would have encouraged me to find other ways to share my 'wisdom'.

Here's her blog entry about it: https://marjoriejackson.wordpress.com/

It doesn't sound like a tell-all to me. It actually sounds like a version of 'The Four Loves' by C.S. Lewis dumbed down and sanitized for a fundie teen girl audience. I also can't help but roll my eyes a bit at a 17-year-old girl giving out sage love advice, but what else is new.

For the love of all that is good and holy, her writing can only make a mockery of the many many books already out there about this subject. She has pretty much spent her whole life only around her family and the people her family decided acceptable. Any outside exposure has been in small carefully controlled doses. She has never really had to find a way to get along with people different than her. When has she had to find a way to get along with people she does not really like? When has she gotten to know people completely different than her and seen the similarities, or the differences that are good? Go on fundie girl, amaze and confound me with your spectacular drivel. Blow my mind.

For the love of all that is good and holy, her writing can only make a mockery of the many many books already out there about this subject. She has pretty much spent her whole life only around her family and the people her family decided acceptable. Any outside exposure has been in small carefully controlled doses. She has never really had to find a way to get along with people different than her. When has she had to find a way to get along with people she does not really like? When has she gotten to know people completely different than her and seen the similarities, or the differences that are good? Go on fundie girl, amaze and confound me with your spectacular drivel. Blow my mind.

Spectacular Drivel would such a great name for the book!  

Now I want to write a book and call it that.  :) 

With regards to Marjorie's book, it does seem pretty typical for fundies to be a a self styled expert on something, often something that they have little to no experience with.  Or a very limited subset of it.  Rather typical.

Now whether Marjorie was hungry for the limelight with regards to her courtship with Josiah and lost interest after the show was cancelled, who knows, she's only 17.   However personally I think it was good that she avoid the trainwreck that is the Duggar family, regardless of the reason for the courtship bust up.   Yes, it's unfair to Josiah as he's not responsible for his brother's and parent's actions and the resultant fall out but I think anyone would do well to avoid getting caught in the family's orbit.   And especially a 17 year old girl who doesn't need to really hurry up and do the courtship and marriage thing yet.

I think Marjorie was "chosen" by Boob for Josiah because she does come off as a fundie version of an overly excited theater geek. (No offense, I was in theater myself, but she reminded me of a few girls I knew in HS) He was probably hoping her pep would whip Josiah into shape or something, but of course, no show, so why would a teenager like her stay? I'm torn between wanting to at least be happy she's got a bit of an outlet to express herself, or to just roll my eyes because what does she know? She used Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty as an example of "love" ffs.

I do find it interesting that she's using Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty as an example of "love".  Would have never thought that.

Unrequited love perhaps, but Charlie always had a thing for the unseen little red haired girl.

I don't even view it as an example of unrequited love because Charlie always liked the red haired girl and I never remember Patty ever liking Charlie either. I always thought Patty and Marcie were a thing. :pb_lol:

There is only one book I would ever want to read from Marjorie: a true tell-all of all the crap and hypocrisy she would have seen going on with the Duggars. No love, just truth. Unfortunately, considering that she (or her mom on her behalf, since she wasn't 18 when she and Josiah were courting) probably had to sign a nondisclosure agreement and that her world view is skewed by her fundamentalism, I'm sure it would never be written.

Wouldn't we be more shocked if Jim Bob didn't have those who were coming into the family sign nda's?

Wouldn't we be more shocked if Jim Bob didn't have those who were coming into the family sign nda's?

That is a little surprising to me. I guess he still hasn't learned enough from all the Josh scandals etc. I think the first thing on his mind would be to "protect the brand". Or maybe he is still naïve and believes love trumps all.

I wonder how large her ego is that she feels at her age she can write a book on love? Really.

Hard to know if Marjorie (or her parents) had to sign an NDA.   Given that she would be appearing with Josiah on the show, I would think that yes, she or her parents would have to sign.   It probably was a TLC thing.

I would certainly like to hear about her experiences with the Duggar family but given her fundie upbringing and the fact she knew the family for some time, I highly doubt we will know anything.

The ego trip over doing a book is not too different from the likes of other fundie maidens who think they know it all, cue the Botkinettes or Miss Racquel.

When I was her age, I'd had about as many months of experience as her, only mine was real dating.  I used to write short stories about love and what I thought it was, and added in a dollop of God's Love while I was at it.  Since I was 17, had read all the Sweet Valley High books, and practiced kissing on my hand, I was an expert on love!

A few years ago, I found my teenager writings, and was so embarrassed at what I wrote that I trashed them.  I'm so happy that there was no internet back then for me to have shared my writing on.  Thank dog we can deny our teenaged humiliations instead of having them live on the internet forever.

When I was her age, I'd had about as many months of experience as her, only mine was real dating.  I used to write short stories about love and what I thought it was, and added in a dollop of God's Love while I was at it.  Since I was 17, had read all the Sweet Valley High books, and practiced kissing on my hand, I was an expert on love!

A few years ago, I found my teenager writings, and was so embarrassed at what I wrote that I trashed them.  I'm so happy that there was no internet back then for me to have shared my writing on.  Thank dog we can deny our teenaged humiliations instead of having them live on the internet forever.

I am often thankful the internet wasn't around in my younger years. I have some pretty embarrassing home videos (and cassette recordings) that I would be mortified for the world to see (and hear.) I do have a pretty pathetic blog that I've kept since I was around 20-21 but thankfully no one really read it ever.

I am often thankful the internet wasn't around in my younger years. I have some pretty embarrassing home videos (and cassette recordings) that I would be mortified for the world to see (and hear.) I do have a pretty pathetic blog that I've kept since I was around 20-21 but thankfully no one really read it ever.

I'm pretty sure that if Xanga still existed, people could dig up some REALLY painfully embarrassing things I wrote back in the day, particularly about love.

That said, there are some diary entries I'm glad I never posted online when I was younger and my friends were reading my Xanga/MySpace/Facebook Notes.... Like this one time that I gushed to my diary about having found a guy... The only thing I wrote about him were how he met my "standards." Which, apparently, at the time included being straight, my age, and alive. lol

I think xanga may still be around. A couple years ago, I did download all of my old entries to keep. :) I stopped writing in a regular journal for most of my college years. So it's nice to have those old ones to read. I wouldn't share them with people though, that's for sure!

Archived