IGNORED

Marjorie Writes a Book on Love

goldfishgoddess

On May 26, 2016 at 10:42 AM, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

The book that sticks in my memory like a thorn in my side is Love in the Time of Cholera. I had to read that for my lit class freshman year of college. Oh god, it was so painful. I hated every minute of it. I just wanted to throw the book against the wall and slap the shit out of the main characters. On the brighter side, I remember being in Brit lit in high school and getting a list of books to read to create individual projects over. I chose The Scarlet Pimpernel. Then, I made a board game out of it for the entire class to play during my presentation. Fun times!

LITTOC is one of my favorite books ever, but I love GGM.  

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, FJismyheadship said:

This thread title just stuck a song in my head "I Don't Know A Thing About Love" by Conway Twitty.

OMG

You just said Conway Twitty....My absolute favorite country star whose Twitty City I got to visit before all the family turmoil :my_sad:

I've got "American Pie" by Don McLean going through my head.

Marjorie wrote the Book of Love, and she has faith in God above, 'cause the Bible tells her so?

• 5 months later...
26 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

new upload here:

Oh I can't handle Marj. The way she talks and bobs her head all around are so annoying. I could never watch her for more than 3 minutes without throwing my phone. She sounds like a Fundie Valley Girl. 

She's annoying, but she's young. She's clearly got ambition and drive, and she seems pretty smart. She's definitely got some creativity, innate talent, and with time and experience should be able to refine her speaking style. I hope she stays far, far away from the Duggars, stays far, far away from fundie guys, and pursues her own goals.

I'm actually pretty impressed by how focused she's been at such a young age. It definitely makes me a little suspicious of her courtship with Josiah, though. I'm not saying she went into it just to get attention and widen her audience, but maybe that was kind of subconsciously there? Anyway, the last thing this girl needs is to get married and start popping out babies right now. There are a lot of doors still open to her at this point and I hope she realizes she has the luxury of taking her time and doing things on her terms.

While I found the video annoying, and the whole Book of Love smacks of something like those two self styled relationship experts the Botkinettes would do, I give her credit for going to college, working and doing her own thing, including this project.   To be fair, given her upbringing and that she was willing, at least for a time, to entertain being in Duggarland on a permanent basis, she's actually doing quite well.

I couldn't really tell what her intentions were during the Josiah courtship at the time however I agree with @singsingsing, wanting attention could have been a subconscious thing.  At any rate she got out of there and I personally thought it was the smartest thing she could do, regardless of the reasons.  She was far too young to get into a relationship that defined marriage as the goal.    I hope she does well and maybe she will look back, if she's not already, as exiting the courtship as a defining life moment.

I think she sounds exactly like the two "girl defined" women we discuss in the other thread. Same speech pattern, intonation. I wonder if that's a thing? A special speech pattern that young fundie women/girls have to sound distinguished and intelligent?

As a foreigner, whose native language is not English, to me, they all sound like a mix of california valley girl, a very hyper youtuber and very young teenagers (13-14 ish).

I kind of forgive her for the voice and manic movements. I wasn't fundie, but she looks and talks like I did when I was first learning about public speaking as a teenager. I think it's a teen trying too hard thing. 

I think it just needs a little polish. I used to have that inflection issue when I was a teenager and giving a presentation. If she watches who she admires, practices to sound more fluid, and learns how to stabilize her head more she'll be fine.

She talks pretty much the same way most 15-21 year old girls speak. As someone older, it's a little annoying,  but she'll grow out of it. 

I'm still glad she dodged the Duggar bullet. She seems smart. If she followed through with that courtship with Josiah, she'd likely be married and pregnant by now. I'd rather her be writing and exploring educational opportunities. 

5 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I'm still glad she dodged the Duggar bullet. She seems smart. If she followed through with that courtship with Josiah, she'd likely be married and pregnant by now. I'd rather her be writing and exploring educational opportunities. 

Yes, 1000 times yes!  She's at college, she has a part-time job, she's making those lettering things, and writing a book, and doubtless getting into student activities.  I never understood why some FJers were so sad for Josiah because he didn't get to be an undereducated, dependent on his father, parent at 20 - I still have a hope he'll be allowed to go away to a college, like Joe did.

On 9/1/2016 at 7:07 AM, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Even if she only got the book published because of the Duggar name/recognition by association, she's actually quite smart and savvy to use that as a means to make herself some money. I have to say that Marjorie actually seems like she could be quite an intelligent young lady, she is very well spoken for her age and I believe she is bilingual. 

I'm glad to see she is at school. She's probably always going to be a conservative Christian, but given that she has a job, will hopefully get a degree, writes books and marks lettering/art projects........she's in a much better position than if she had of followed through with marrying Josiah. When she gets married, she'll be getting married as a woman who has had some life experiences and is able to work to help provide for the family, which is way better than getting married as sheltered kid to another sheltered kid with a controlling father. 

Girl dodged a bullet. Good for her. 

It seems that her parents guided her out of the courtship with Josiah.  After a 3-4 months, I bet Josiah asked for hand in marriage and her parents told her that there's more to life than marriage and babies, she agreed and the relationship was over.

Perhaps she will marry a man that is more "equally yoked". She has a real job, is enrolled in college away from home and is writing a book on her own. It doesn't seem like a good match for her to be with a guy like Josiah, who only has a GED, no further education, and "working" for Jim Bob (doing what??) with no health insurance or other benefits. She is young and ambitious. Maybe she wants to marry a young conservative Christian lawyer, business owner, etc, with a degree, paying job, life experience and slightly different views about marriage, birth control, and gender roles. I think Marjorie will always have ideas and she'll always be doing something, whether she's married or not.

I'm glad she has good parents. There are some parents that don't value individual hobbies/interests, education, or life experience away from home.

• 1 month later...

Marjorie's book was released yesterday & is climbing the Amazon Christian teen book charts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/new-releases/books/5412659011/ref=zg_bsnr_nav_b_2_12290

She's also taking her freshman year college exams this week.

Beats the hell out of being a teen newlywed with a baby, doesn't it? Which she most likely would be today if she hadn't broken up with Josiah.

35 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Marjorie's book was released yesterday & is climbing the Amazon Christian teen book charts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/new-releases/books/5412659011/ref=zg_bsnr_nav_b_2_12290

She's also taking her freshman year college exams this week.

Beats the hell out of being a teen newlywed with a baby, doesn't it? Which she most likely would be today if she hadn't broken up with Josiah.

Yay, but free house and sitting on your ass doing nothing on Duggar Time. * heavy on the sarcasm.*

Archived