IGNORED

what if a fundie kid got a hogwarts letter?

HeadshipRegent

I would concur that they'd need to go to school. Does a ton know the canon on it? I have 1% battery or I'd check now! Either way I'll check before I return to the thread...just making a placeholder :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sent Jo a tweet asking if muggleborns or their parents are allowed to choose not to attend a magical school.  I also asked what happens if the authorities know the kid is being abused.

I've found other boards asking the same questions with no definite answers.  They all bring up that magical home schooling is allowed and that Voldemort outlawed it in the UK during the '96/'97 school year. Most also bring up what happens if the muggleborn child or their family choose for the child not to attend, some people answer the school or ministry official would try gentle and then more persistent persuasion.  Others bring up the idea of the imperius curse for these cases, or kidnapping the child and obliviating the parents. 

Hopefully I get a reply from Jo. 

On 6/25/2016 at 1:55 PM, princessmahina said:

They would definitely have to find alternate accommodations for the summer break. There's no way they could send a child back to say, the Anderson household. They'd straight up kill that child with abuse, and I'm not using hyperbole here. 

If we're sorting (adults only, of course), I'd put Josh Duggar in Slytherin. He's certainly cunning.

I agree, if an Anderson child returned from Hogwarts on summer break, their parents would kill them, so they would have to find alternative accommodations in order to survive to the next year. That is, if they weren't killed for getting that acceptance letter in the first place.

On 26.6.2016 at 6:44 AM, Jellybean said:

Magic aside , Hogwarts is an oddly conservative place . Boys are not allowed into the girl's rooms and do they even have sex education ? Is there a magical pill or condom ? And following up on that , how are little wizards born . I sure as hell would not want to go through labour if I don't have to .

Edit: I can't seem to get that empty quote box out of this post .

18 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

I agree, if an Anderson child returned from Hogwarts on summer break, their parents would kill them, so they would have to find alternative accommodations in order to survive to the next year. That is, if they weren't killed for getting that acceptance letter in the first place.

I like to think that a fundie kid would figure out how to respond to the acceptance letter and get to Hogwarts while hiding the letter and such until someone from school came to get them. I mean, a lot of fundie parents are overwhelmed, and sheer numbers mean that siblings can work together against the parents.

I would hope that a fundie kid would be able to hide the letter (like in some HP fanfiction where Harry slips the letter into his cupboard or clothes rather than opening it at the breakfast table, changing the initial narrative), and maybe that an older sibling or aunt who was close to them and tasked with errands in town would let them come with as "accountability" but secretly go deliver the letter.

I don't see Hogwarts intervening to save a fundie kid from going home for the summer - after all, look what kind of abuse Harry was subjected to, and nobody did anything about it.

1 hour ago, meee said:

I don't see Hogwarts intervening to save a fundie kid from going home for the summer - after all, look what kind of abuse Harry was subjected to, and nobody did anything about it.

Dumbledore knew they wouldn't legitimately kill Harry because of Lily and such. I don't think they could have any such assurances when it came to a fundie child. They've beaten, starved, and neglected their adopted children for disobedience-- what would they do to one who's existence was contrary to Exodus? "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" and so on. 

The wizarding world didn't step in when there was abuse, but I think if there was grave danger something would be done.

3 hours ago, princessmahina said:

Dumbledore knew they wouldn't legitimately kill Harry because of Lily and such. I don't think they could have any such assurances when it came to a fundie child. They've beaten, starved, and neglected their adopted children for disobedience-- what would they do to one who's existence was contrary to Exodus? "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" and so on. 

The wizarding world didn't step in when there was abuse, but I think if there was grave danger something would be done.

Did he, though?  What about when they were starving him in the beginning of book 2?  What if Dudley and his games had gone too far?  It sounded like Vernon and Dudley didn't know about the Lily thing, hated Harry, and were not especially moral people.  I've see fanfictions in which they nearly kill Harry from their abuse and honestly the premise makes sense to me.

Did anyone read the new Ilvermorny (American wizarding school) information on Pottermore? The founder of the school, Isolde Sayre, was slated to go to Hogwarts, but her evil aunt/kidnapper, Gormlaith, wouldn't allow it, so she was homeschooled. No magical intervention to save her or fetch her for school.

Because Hogwarts letters arrive slightly before a child's 11th birthday, and, because I'm currently raising my 11yo daughter, I believe that most fundies kids of that age would be frightened by the letter. I think they would feel deeply upset to be accused of 'something they know is wrong'. I think they would worry privately and hope no one found out. Or maybe they would ask someone (even a parent) to pray with them and help remove the possibility of evil from themselves.

10 is too young for kids to be questioning their parents' religion in such a controlling culture. I doubt 10 year olds want to escape. They probably do want their parents to 'be nicer' but in an unsophisticated way, not one that is considering severing the toxic relationship. They probably believe the whole worldview, and feel a strong alliguence to their family. It wouldn't be an offer of freedom and adventure... It would be threatening and shameful.

1 hour ago, meee said:

Did he, though?  What about when they were starving him in the beginning of book 2?  What if Dudley and his games had gone too far?  It sounded like Vernon and Dudley didn't know about the Lily thing, hated Harry, and were not especially moral people.  I've see fanfictions in which they nearly kill Harry from their abuse and honestly the premise makes sense to me.

I think they would have refrained because Petunia would have put a stop to it going too far. Our definitions of "too far" are very different. I also think that if Harry had had broken limbs or any real lasting physical damage from abuse, it would have been mentioned in the series, especially after Lockhart removed the bones from his arm. It seems to me that the abuse was mainly in the forms of emotional abuse, neglect, and withholding food, which are terrible but not necessarily going to lead to death. 

This is all speculation though. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think they would have let the "savior of the wizarding world" and the "chosen one" die at the hands of his relatives.

1 hour ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Did anyone read the new Ilvermorny (American wizarding school) information on Pottermore? The founder of the school, Isolde Sayre, was slated to go to Hogwarts, but her evil aunt/kidnapper, Gormlaith, wouldn't allow it, so she was homeschooled. No magical intervention to save her or fetch her for school.

Speaking of Ilvermorny, I just got sorted on Pottermore. I got Pukwudgie. I was really hoping for Horned Serpent.

54 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

Speaking of Ilvermorny, I just got sorted on Pottermore. I got Pukwudgie. I was really hoping for Horned Serpent.

I got Thunderbird.

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

Hmm. I just took it and DID get Horned Serpent. Of course, I also got Slytherin (when every one of the unofficial sorting tests had marked me a Ravenclaw), so there's that, but is there any indication that they map to Hogwarts houses at all?  

2 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I read that in Hermione's voice. "Am I the only one who have read the history of Ilvermorny?" :pb_lol:

Ugh, I haven't been on Pottermore forever. Might go back tonight. 

I'm not sure if they correlate or not. I don't see myself as a Healer though. I like the idea of helping people, but I get fed up with people too easily and can't stand whining. Otherwise I might have gone into the medical field.

In Hogwarts houses, I always either get Ravenclaw (usually) or Slytherin (sometimes). 

I'm still not sure how much I like the new stuff being set in America. A good 10-20% of my love of Harry Potter is that it takes place abroad. Or maybe it's just because I live here that it seems so boring. :pb_lol:

I'm definitely a Ravenclaw. And in the Divergent series, I would probably be like Tris's sister, Caleb, raised Abnegation but who chose Erudite. Because I can be helpful and selfless (near my work now there are many homeless people, and I give out water on hot days and film any police who try to get them in trouble for panhandling), but I am also smart and curious with a troubling elitist streak. Like, I am for tracking education by ability and such, like in Germany, and sometimes think I know what's best for others.

So I might even have some Slytherin in me. I would love to build my own world and rule it!

1 hour ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Ok, I got Thunderbird. And Hufflepuff. 

My kindred spirit! Those are my houses, too.

I got Horned Serpent. I'm also a Hufflepuff.

I'm Hufflepuff and I got Wampus. 

I'm just imagining Jill Rod interacting with Arthur Weasley. He would LOVE her makeup tutorials! 

Talking of Hogwarts reminds of this letter I saw, not 100% it's real but someone tried to select Hogwarts as a university in the UK and got this reply from the admissions service.

ucas-letter.png

Whoever applied, and also whoever wrote that letter, is my soul mate. Both of them. 

I'm a Ravenclaw and got Thunderbird.  I'm not sure about the new test, 5 of my friends have gotten Thunderbird too, and they definitely belong in other houses. 

On June 28, 2016 at 4:25 PM, princessmahina said:

I'm not sure if they correlate or not. I don't see myself as a Healer though. I like the idea of helping people, but I get fed up with people too easily and can't stand whining. Otherwise I might have gone into the medical field.

In Hogwarts houses, I always either get Ravenclaw (usually) or Slytherin (sometimes). 

I'm still not sure how much I like the new stuff being set in America. A good 10-20% of my love of Harry Potter is that it takes place abroad. Or maybe it's just because I live here that it seems so boring. :pb_lol:

Plus, for all of America's wizarding world to go to ONE school, there'd have to be like over 200 professors

I also got thunderbird. At Hogwarts I'm a hufflepuff

Archived