IGNORED

what if a fundie kid got a hogwarts letter?

HeadshipRegent

so, there I was in a harry potter rp, as usual and suddenly it hit me, if the HP world was real and a fundie kid got a letter, what would happen? what if one of pp's kid got it? would he go full uncle vernon on them? would hagrid pay them a visit? where would they be sorted? jessa is a slytherin 100% imo.  :my_biggrin: i'm very entretained by the thought of a fundie at hogwarts. lol

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see two possibilities. Most likely the letters are all burned, and Hagrid is told to get lost.  The other one is that they view it as a whole new ministering opportunity. 

Imagine Vernon Dursley's reaction, multiply it by a thousand,& add a whole bunch of passive agressive prayer (and straight out condemnation about Pagan ways and witchcraft and hellfire.  You shall not allow the witch to live and all that crap.)

Poor kid would get locked in a cupboard under the stairs.

3 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Poor kid would get locked in a cupboard under the stairs.

I could see that happening. 

The poor kids would have to be stolen in the middle of the night(parents wouldn't notice they would be too busy making more blessings)  so they could make it to kings cross train station platform 9 3/4 in time.

I'm fairly certain  someone would need to set up alternative accommodation over the holidays. There's no way those kids would be welcome back over the summer break.

BTW, what happens to kids who have subpar literacy and numeracy at Hogwarts?

They might end up in Hufflepuff, I have always seen Hufflepuff as being the house for kids with learning disabilities.

but frankly, I don't see this as being a big deal for Hogwarts because it is in the UK. I think the American wizard schools would have to deal with this much more often and maybe have a special program for them. If Hogwarts got one they would probably ask the Americans what to do.

14 hours ago, mallallory said:

I see two possibilities. Most likely the letters are all burned, and Hagrid is told to get lost.  The other one is that they view it as a whole new ministering opportunity. 

Uncle Vernon tried to outrun the letters and in the end Harry still went to Hogwarts . If a fundie kid got a letter he/she will still attend Hogwarts . What is the fundie parent going to do about it ?

8 hours ago, uber frau said:

I'm fairly certain  someone would need to set up alternative accommodation over the holidays. There's no way those kids would be welcome back over the summer break.

BTW, what happens to kids who have subpar literacy and numeracy at Hogwarts?

Maybe Hogwarts would set up remedial classes to bring them up to speed - have to keep the kids over the summer though, for extra help, doncha know.

8 hours ago, anachronistic said:

They might end up in Hufflepuff, I have always seen Hufflepuff as being the house for kids with learning disabilities.

but frankly, I don't see this as being a big deal for Hogwarts because it is in the UK. I think the American wizard schools would have to deal with this much more often and maybe have a special program for them. If Hogwarts got one they would probably ask the Americans what to do.

I completely disagree about Hufflepuff. That "all the rest" thing that Helga Hufflepuff said was not meant to be a put down. Children with learning disabilities can also be brave, intelligent, or cunning. It doesn't mean they're going to get "stuck" in Hufflepuff.

As for fundies, Huffepuffs may be an inclusive group, but they highly value loyalty, fairness, and - most of all - hardworking. I highly doubt any fundie would end up in Hufflepuff because hardworking is the exact opposite of grifting, the fundie specialty.

Plus, having subpar literacy and numeracy skills are not direct signs of a "learning disability". They can be, but - especially coming from fundie land - it's more of a sign of subpar teaching from the SOTDRT. Not to mention that, in Harry Potter canon, many magical students are homeschooled before attending Hogwarts, and they're apparently up to speed when they get there. So it would show just how horrible fundie homeschool truly is, compared against wizard homeschool which apparently prepares you sufficiently for school.

I'm very passionate about my house, if you can't tell :embarrassed:

They would definitely have to find alternate accommodations for the summer break. There's no way they could send a child back to say, the Anderson household. They'd straight up kill that child with abuse, and I'm not using hyperbole here. 

If we're sorting (adults only, of course), I'd put Josh Duggar in Slytherin. He's certainly cunning.

Hey! I'm a proud Hufflepuff. We're smart nice people.

Perhaps Josh would end up with a pig's tail!

5 hours ago, hasunah said:

Uncle Vernon tried to outrun the letters and in the end Harry still went to Hogwarts . If a fundie kid got a letter he/she will still attend Hogwarts . What is the fundie parent going to do about it ?

Harry was born into a magical family though, he wasn't muggle born.  If it were an adopted fundie kid who had been born into a magical family or they were sure the kid was being abused, then I can see the same sort of barrage of owls happening. Maybe a professor would go to talk to the family, like Dumbledore did with Riddle, but no one is required to attend Hogwarts.  It was a big deal when Voldemort made attendance compulsory. 

I don't think the parents would be very accepting, but if the kid ends up going, I think their acceptance of everything would depend on the child. The only fundie family I'm pretty familiar with is the Duggars, and I could see 11 year old Jinger or 11 year old Josiah enjoying Hogwarts. Young Jill, on the other hand, would probably prefer to stay home. 

9 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

I don't think the parents would be very accepting, but if the kid ends up going, I think their acceptance of everything would depend on the child. The only fundie family I'm pretty familiar with is the Duggars, and I could see 11 year old Jinger or 11 year old Josiah enjoying Hogwarts. Young Jill, on the other hand, would probably prefer to stay home. 

I would like to have seen young Josiah or young Josh at Hogwarts. You know the ones I mean- in the first season or so, when they'd pompously pontificate about how "in an average family, they go to the mall and spend $400 on shoes, but in our family, we go to the thrift store." 

I'd love to see them going on about the Muggle world to the wizard kids.

Another Hufflepuff here.  I'm down with that.  

I don't think Dumbledore would push so hard to get a muggle-fundie (mundie?) born child to accept the way he did with Harry. Take Hermione for example, she's muggle born. I bet if she'd have gotten the letter and the Grangers had said "pass," Hogwarts would have just let it go. Plus, we are assuming the mundie kid wants to go. By 11 the poor dear is probably so brainwashed he or she would burn the letter themselves!

I could imagine Fundies taking many of the lessons/examples of HP and applying them directly to the Fundie world. In much the same way that they use the bible, now that I think about it. 

They might think that god is sending out invitations but only certain people will respond (cf parable of the sower). The sorting hat illustrates that we're all different but equal (complementarian), so women should shut up already. 

Those children wouldn't need to go to Hogwarts because they've already been chosen to go to an even better place (SOTDRT). They don't even need magic to make it difficult to find the right textbooks, or to visit the real world!

I don't think there is an option "pass" on magical education. These kids have powers, but no idea how to control them. Ministry of Magic probably sents all wizards to schools want they or not, because Ministry can't run after teen with uncontrollable powers and erase memories of their family members, friends and random strangers. 
With fundies they could just take a child in the middle of the night and parents wouldn't notice that one of their blessings is gone till summer break. Then a child can stay and chill at Hogwarts, because no fundie would accept witchcraft.

4 hours ago, AlwaysExcited said:

I don't think there is an option "pass" on magical education. These kids have powers, but no idea how to control them. Ministry of Magic probably sents all wizards to schools want they or not, because Ministry can't run after teen with uncontrollable powers and erase memories of their family members, friends and random strangers. 
With fundies they could just take a child in the middle of the night and parents wouldn't notice that one of their blessings is gone till summer break. Then a child can stay and chill at Hogwarts, because no fundie would accept witchcraft.

9 hours ago, Kaylo said:

I don't think Dumbledore would push so hard to get a muggle-fundie (mundie?) born child to accept the way he did with Harry. Take Hermione for example, she's muggle born. I bet if she'd have gotten the letter and the Grangers had said "pass," Hogwarts would have just let it go. Plus, we are assuming the mundie kid wants to go. By 11 the poor dear is probably so brainwashed he or she would burn the letter themselves!

I meant for these quotes to go in another order, but I don't know how to change it. Anyway, I don't think the wizarding world would want someone who can't control accidental magic living in the muggle world. They do allow for homeschooling, but I think all muggleborns go to school. 

Whether or not the kid is "brainwashed", 11 year olds are still somewhat impressionable. If they're anything like Harry they might wonder why weird things are happening, like their hair growing the day after a haircut. After getting an explanation they might be excited to go to school. 

I giggle whenever I see this. My eldest has been rewatching the series with her boyfriend. Now I want to watch it again too. 

I would pay good money to watch the outcome of a Hogwarts/Dumbledore Vs. Joe Naugler fight.

Archived