TeddyBonkers

2 (10 oz.) packages fresh pearl onions

2 3/4 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. canning-and-pickling salt

3 3/4 tsp. mustard seeds

1 1/2 tsp. celery seeds

12 whole cloves

Place onions in a large pot of boiling water for 30 seconds; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain. Trim and discard ends of each onion and slip off the skins.

Sterilize 3 half pint jars and prepare lids. (Put the flat part in hot water.)

Bring vinegar, sugar, salt, and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a large stainless steel or enameled Dutch oven. Boil 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add peeled onions and return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes.

Place 1 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp celery seeds, and 4 cloves in each jar. Pack onions tightly in each jar, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Cover onions with hot pickling liquid, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Seal and process jars in hot water bath canner for 10 minutes. 

Let sit for 3 weeks for best flavor. 

I will have a bumper crop of brussels sprouts in a bit - do you think this recipe will work well to pickle them?  Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this recipe will work to pickle brussels sprouts. I'm sorry. TBH, I am fairy new at canning anything other than pickles. :)

I love pickled shallots. My mum made the best. The first time Mr. Wolf visited he became addicted. Last time we were in England, we went to a coffee shop where he ordered coffee and a pickled onion. He got some strange looks. Sadly, mum passed away and no one makes them like she did.

14 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

we went to a coffee shop where he ordered coffee and a pickled onion. 

What a weirdo. ;) I would totally do this!  

Archived