IGNORED

Anton Yelchin of Star Trek has passed away

47of74

Some sad news out of Los Angeles today

latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-me-anton-yelchin-20160619-snap-story.html

Actor Anton Yelchin, perhaps best known for his role in the new “Star Trek” films, died early Sunday after his vehicle rolled down his Studio City driveway and trapped the actor against a mailbox, authorities confirmed.

Friends went to the 27-year-old actor’s home shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday, when he didn’t show up for a rehearsal as expected, LAPD Officer Jenny Houser told The Times. Authorities believe Yelchin’s vehicle rolled backwards down the steep driveway, Houser said, pinning him against a brick mailbox and security gate.

Yelchin, the Russian-born son of professional figure skaters, began acting as a child, picking up roles on television shows and independent films. He starred in the 2007 crime thriller “Alpha Dog” and was in the teen comedy “Charlie Bartlett.”

But his biggest role to date was in the rebooted "Star Trek" films as the character Chekov. The third installment in the series, "Star Trek Beyond," comes out in July.

:(

RIP Mr. Yelchin.

Was so sad to hear. He was so young! 2016 has taken so many good artists:(

I cannot stop thinking about this. His talent meant so much to me. Such a loss for humanity.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand, his vehicle model was recalled for drivers mistakenly putting their car into neutral instead of park. This death could have been avoided. I won't be surprised to see a class action suit arise from this.

I'm only familiar with his work from Terminator: Salvation & the latest Star Trek movies. I was sad to hear of his passing. :( 

Archived