IGNORED

Miss Raquel's 2nd Novel - Part 4

samurai_sarah

9 hours ago, daisyd681 said:

That is the Drama Llama. I haven't used him yet, mostly because someone always beats me to it.

I love that little llama. 

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, daisyd681 said:

That is the Drama Llama. I haven't used him yet, mostly because someone always beats me to it.

I feel like we used to have a ROFL smiley. In absence of that I guess I went for a mutant green llama? :pb_lol:

Anyone watch this? I started, but she annoys me too much. 

They are both annoying the shit out of me, he has noodles on his arm, and well she is just stupid!

At 5:30 in the vid she said she had a paranormal experience...doesn't that seem like one of those things she would have condemned a few years ago (like astrology)?

And her brother asked her when she had the paranormal experience, and she said "just last week, I'll tell you about it," and he said "tell your audience!" and she said "No because I wanna write about it." And stuck her tongue out.

She spent most of the video flipping her "crazy writer hair" (lol) around and making really contrived faces and omg I really really really can't believe I watched most of that. I need ear bleach...and eye bleach.......and soul bleach

The newest blog entry about her going to college and the gap.  She is not the special snowflake she thinks she is.  I know someone that I graduated from high school with in the early 80's who got her degree a few years ago.   

A gap year is becoming very normal.  Even President Obama's daughter is taking one.   

Let's be honest - her 4-year gap is really because it took her this long to figure out that she really needed a college degree to get somewhere in life that didn't involve being a barista now that she has figured out a boy isn't going to swoop in the door and cart her off in marriage.

In the video, her brother strikes me as having been dragged into this whole thing against his better judgment -- just got off work, grabbing something to eat, and being nagged half to death to sit down and "just do this one little thing, it'll be fun, I promise!"

He seemed to loosen up -- maybe the wine helped. (And I know food definitely helped my own brothers' mood when they were that age, if they'd come home from some calorie-intensive endeavor like physical work or sports. I don't know what Noah does for work, but it's haying season here, and if that's what he's working at, he's got to be starving when he gets home from work. Disclaimer: all speculation on my part.)

I found her more annoying than I found him, but then I only watched the video for a little less than 3 minutes.

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

The newest blog entry about her going to college and the gap.  She is not the special snowflake she thinks she is.  I know someone that I graduated from high school with in the early 80's who got her degree a few years ago.   

A gap year is becoming very normal.  Even President Obama's daughter is taking one.   

Let's be honest - her 4-year gap is really because it took her this long to figure out that she really needed a college degree to get somewhere in life that didn't involve being a barista now that she has figured out a boy isn't going to swoop in the door and cart her off in marriage.

She just reminds me of the guy in the video who spent his Gap Yah in Per-aaaahhhhh.

Maybe things have changed, but isn't "never have I ever" a game you usually play with friends not siblings? At least from what I remember, it often gets fairly raunchy. 

Also, nothing special or shocking about taking a few years off between high school and college. It's one thing to intentionally take time off (a gap year to travel, volunteer, etc.) but what she seems to be doing is crafting the meaning behind her time off after the fact. She says she's definitely sure about studying psych because of the time she's taken off, but from my experience many people change majors within college when they realize the classes and field are different from what they anticipated.

She claims she's past the teenage point of finding yourself because of her time off; that's quite a big statement to live up to when you're starting college. Most people change in college, simply because you're being exposed to new ideas and different people... schools are places to learn, for goodness' sake! Going into college with the attitude of having everything all "set" finally seems like setting yourself up for failure when reality doesn't meet your expectations. 

12 minutes ago, December said:

Maybe things have changed, but isn't "never have I ever" a game you usually play with friends not siblings?

A serious question: Does she have friends? I get the impression that she has coworkers (when she's working, who if they are responsible employees might get rather irritated with her attitude and doings in the workplace), and she has her "best friend(s)" as a part of a captive audience in a boys' home in Peru, and she has had a string of boyfriends, maybe?

It's quite possible she doesn't have a group of friends to play this game with, which is why she had to drag her brother into a (filmed!) version of the game. And who, honestly, would make a video of people admitting to negative behavior? ("Never have I ever stolen something from a family member," is one I remember from the little bit I watched. "Never have I ever kissed more than 5 people" -- which would be a big negative in the culture they were raised in.)

It almost makes me sorry for her lonely state. But it sounds like she drives people away with her attitude, cutesiness, and little games.

4 hours ago, refugee said:

A serious question: Does she have friends? I get the impression that she has coworkers (when she's working, who if they are responsible employees might get rather irritated with her attitude and doings in the workplace), and she has her "best friend(s)" as a part of a captive audience in a boys' home in Peru, and she has had a string of boyfriends, maybe?

It's quite possible she doesn't have a group of friends to play this game with, which is why she had to drag her brother into a (filmed!) version of the game. And who, honestly, would make a video of people admitting to negative behavior? ("Never have I ever stolen something from a family member," is one I remember from the little bit I watched. "Never have I ever kissed more than 5 people" -- which would be a big negative in the culture they were raised in.)

It almost makes me sorry for her lonely state. But it sounds like she drives people away with her attitude, cutesiness, and little games.

She has a handful of all male friends.

3 hours ago, xRoo said:

I can't see any male friends with a modicum of intelligence being willing to play that stupid game with her. Too much material for emotional blackmail...

Reading that entry, it seems that deep, deep down, she feels that she wasted four years of her life. In order to maintain her fragile ego, she must rationalize her failure.

Nothing new here. Good stuff, but nothing new. She's gonna be a GREAT psych student, I can't fucking wait for this.

:popcorn:

14 hours ago, December said:

Maybe things have changed, but isn't "never have I ever" a game you usually play with friends not siblings? At least from what I remember, it often gets fairly raunchy. 

Also, nothing special or shocking about taking a few years off between high school and college. It's one thing to intentionally take time off (a gap year to travel, volunteer, etc.) but what she seems to be doing is crafting the meaning behind her time off after the fact. She says she's definitely sure about studying psych because of the time she's taken off, but from my experience many people change majors within college when they realize the classes and field are different from what they anticipated.

She claims she's past the teenage point of finding yourself because of her time off; that's quite a big statement to live up to when you're starting college. Most people change in college, simply because you're being exposed to new ideas and different people... schools are places to learn, for goodness' sake! Going into college with the attitude of having everything all "set" finally seems like setting yourself up for failure when reality doesn't meet your expectations. 

Though in a way, I'm glad that she's set on what she's going to study, because otherwise, she'd be changing majors every damn week and wasting untold amounts of money on tuition. Though it's likely she'll do that anyway. Psychology will expose her to yucky things she doesn't like, the professor will not accept POMES as assignments, "they just need Jesus and coffee" will not be an acceptable answer to "what should you do to help a person who has schizophrenia", she would actually have to do work and quantitative research (which, let me tell you, can be boring as fuck no matter how much you love the subject matter), and she wouldn't be the specialest snowflake in the room. Then she'll find out that veterinary science isn't just cuddling kittens all day. And early childhood education involves a lot of theory and discussions of ethics (including things like "don't cuddle your students in a semi-sexual way and steal/sniff their clothing"). And music isn't just freewheeling artistic expression, but a lot of theory and precision practice.

And through all of her fickle flitting between disciplines the instant they're not what she imagined them to be, she will insist that she is growing as an individual and will totally become a famous writer/musician/teacher/whatever.

Conversation between me and my boyfriend:

Me: Would you like to hear a poem?

Him: Sure!

Me: 'The room was alive...'

Him (immediately): Oh. It's Raquel.

12 hours ago, xRoo said:

She strikes me as the sort of person who says "I don't like to hang out with girls, they're too much drama". Translation: "Other women find me utterly insufferable because I constantly start drama, so I hang out with boys who tolerate me because I'm attractive".

6 hours ago, ari_belle said:

Reading that entry, it seems that deep, deep down, she feels that she wasted four years of her life. In order to maintain her fragile ego, she must rationalize her failure.

Exactly, I think those posts are more to convince herself that she hasn't failed at life so far. She has spent a lot of time(since she was around 16, I think) explaining why she is a special snowflake who will never need college. And now that her life turned out to be totally normal and she is going to need a college degree just like most people do, she is going to have to turn her four years of doing basically nothing into four years of being special and that most people would be wise to follow her path. 

I'm not sure Raquel knows how to make friends. I don't think she knows how to be a true friend. Raquel knows how to use people and that seems about it. I'm not sure how she ended up this way, her parents did appear to encourage her awful behavior as a teen, but her life is getting sadder as time goes on and she stays the same shallow, self-absorbed person.

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

'm not sure Raquel knows how to make friends. I don't think she knows how to be a true friend. Raquel knows how to use people and that seems about it. I'm not sure how she ended up this way, her parents did appear to encourage her awful behavior as a teen, but her life is getting sadder as time goes on and she stays the same shallow, self-absorbed person.

I wonder if her parents have noticed, all along, and are distressed and feel helpless, and have been praying and fasting for God to touch her life. Maybe they're talking about nouthetic counseling for her, or maybe they've already tried that, without effect.

That seems to be the MO of most of the fundie parents I know. Psychology is evil, you know.

And of course, there are those issues that even psychology/psychiatry doesn't seem to help, like narcissism. Not diagnosing R. as a narcissist, just saying that narcissism is one of the things I've heard is not much altered by therapy/drugs, so I expect there are others that aren't helped, as well.

I remember in one psych class being struck by the statement that of all those who seek therapy, 1/3 improve, 1/3 stay the same, and 1/3 get worse. And in all those who don't seek therapy, 1/3 improve, 1/3 stay the same, and 1/3 get worse. I don't know if they still teach that -- it was several decades ago. And the impression you get is, why spend the money on therapy? But I know it has made a huge positive difference in our own case.

I couldn't watch it either. I was bored and annoyed, which is weird because I managed to watch Captain Bret's entire dance tutorial, some parts multiple times.

3 hours ago, refugee said:

I wonder if her parents have noticed, all along, and are distressed and feel helpless, and have been praying and fasting for God to touch her life. Maybe they're talking about nouthetic counseling for her, or maybe they've already tried that, without effect.

I'm not sure they did notice it until she was an adult and she started doing things that they really disliked. If they read her blog, the signs that she was lying like crazy on her blog to get attention were obvious, something they should have immediately put a stop too. She admits now that her life was nothing like she blogged. Raquel used her blog to feed get the attention she craved and she was lying to get that attention. Why didn't they stop her?

They went along with her ridiculous tantrum when a friend said she had a crush on someone and actually called a meeting to talk to that girl's parents about how horrible they daughter was for saying that. They let her blog about how cute it was to neglect a horse. They apparently gave her a really shitty education all while making her think she was  a super special snowflake. And I really doubt Raquel is paying for her own trips to Peru, I'm betting they have helped pay to get her down there all those times she went.

If her parents had realized and noticed, the simple solution would have been to take Raquel's blog away from her. They weren't helpless, they could have done something. Hell, just finding out that their 14 year old daughter was attracting the attention of thousands of strangers because of her writings AND that she was putting all her personal info out there should have been enough for them to have pulled the plug on her blog! 

Raquel's parents seemed to make it pretty damn easy for her self-centered, uncaring side to grow and thrive. They had a hand in creating the monster that Raquel became. 

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I'm not sure they did notice it until she was an adult and she started doing things that they really disliked. If they read her blog, the signs that she was lying like crazy on her blog to get attention were obvious, something they should have immediately put a stop too. She admits now that her life was nothing like she blogged. Raquel used her blog to feed get the attention she craved and she was lying to get that attention. Why didn't they stop her?

They went along with her ridiculous tantrum when a friend said she had a crush on someone and actually called a meeting to talk to that girl's parents about how horrible they daughter was for saying that. They let her blog about how cute it was to neglect a horse. They apparently gave her a really shitty education all while making her think she was  a super special snowflake. And I really doubt Raquel is paying for her own trips to Peru, I'm betting they have helped pay to get her down there all those times she went.

If her parents had realized and noticed, the simple solution would have been to take Raquel's blog away from her. They weren't helpless, they could have done something. Hell, just finding out that their 14 year old daughter was attracting the attention of thousands of strangers because of her writings AND that she was putting all her personal info out there should have been enough for them to have pulled the plug on her blog! 

Raquel's parents seemed to make it pretty damn easy for her self-centered, uncaring side to grow and thrive. They had a hand in creating the monster that Raquel became. 

I think it's easy to think it's just a phase and hope it gets better. Especially if she is prone to drama or tantrums. Sometimes parents put up with shit cuz they don't want ANOTHER tantrum, then you find yourself walking on eggshells. Hopefully you realize what the heck you are doing and stop it.

I base this off of my own parenting mistakes. Glad I came to before they hit adulthood.

Raquel chose a psychology major not because of future career goals but because reading about majorly messed up people makes you feel normal and okay. It's entertaining reading for Raquel. She doesn't care about the work involved because she knows she will give up along the way, and she certainly doesn't care that a psych degree truly requires the minimum of a master's afterward because she has no intention of striving that far.  Her real reason in going to college is getting what has eluded her so far . . . an MRS degree.  There are better pickings at college than at a coffee shop, and the pickings at college are certainly going to be better able to  support her.

She tweeted that she was shutting down her snapchat account for August.  And, that when she starts back up it will be with a new account.  

Am I the only one thinking that she's either fighting with someone or getting pervy snaps back?  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived