I LOVE THE POME

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, xRoo said:

POME! POME! POME!

I LOVE

I LOVE THE POME

Omg, this pome is exactly what I needed. I just got dumped in the worst way and it's one of those days when it feels like nothing will lift my spirits...but this pome makes me smirk with delight.

Raquel is giving reminding everyone that it's perfectly fine to "just leave" that job that doesn't make you blissfully happy. 

Also why is it that when she talks about God it always sounds sexual? Wait for his gentle touch, oh honey, he doesn't need your consent. 

Her stuff always has this undercurrent of "I'm special. I have passion and vision and the world OWES me for that." Her job, her friends, her relationships can never be ordinary. Her advice to walk away from unhealthy relationships might be worth more if her idea of a healthy relationship wasn't straight out of the movies.

I'm taking a break from canning like we have to survive the winter on food that I store, to read this mindless drivel that Raquel wrote. 

Allow yourself to leave any place you don't like, any job you don't enjoy, anything you aren't passionate about.

Well, this sounds all wonderful, but sometimes being an adult is about just dealing with shit you don't enjoy. It would be wonderful to only do things that you are passionate about, but real life is going to be doing lots of things that you don't particularly like. 

Somewhere with more vision.  Just because people think you're crazy for "giving it up" or "not being happy with what you have" doesn't mean you can't decide what's right for yourself.  Allow yourself to search for something that makes you excited about waking up tomorrow.

There is no perfect place and yes, people are going to look at you like you are crazy if you quit everything because it "lacks vision". 

Allow yourself to not settle for the complacent, non-visionary, non-passionate friends.

WTF?! :roll: 

Instead, surround your life with like-minded individuals.

Surrounding yourself with only people who agree with you is the worst. 

Allow yourself to think outside the box, be different, not be normal, regardless of what others think of you.  Set incredible goals for yourself, get that tattoo or piercing you've been wanting, change up your hair style, apply for that world-traveling job, write a book...

How is Fathom doing, Raquel? You will never write that book if you quite the second it stops being super fun. Set goals, but then plan how you are going to reach those goals. Incredible goals are worthless if they are totally unrealistic and there is no plan to reach those goals. 

Back to canning now, even though it stopped being kind of fun a couple of weeks ago, but I have a kitchen full of produce and it would be silly to let it all go to waste because I am no longer passionate about canning tomatoes. 

Honestly, Raquel desperately wants to live in a Hollywood movie, with a tastefully decorated apartment, a job that only exists when convienent and a boyfriend who adores all her quirks and declares that they make her better than other "ordinary" girls. 

For all she talks about passion and vision, it's shallow. Real passion is what carries you through the tough spots, because your goal is important enough to make the struggle worth it.

Too many young living oil seminars, lol. She sounds like the poster child of the entitled millennial generation. 

So I take it it will be bye bye college the minute it stops being fun and exciting and some professor offers narrowminded and unvisionary criticism.

Not that I think that you have to persist in jobs and relationships that make you unhappy if you got better altrrnatives... But a lot in this blog just comes across as justifications for a short attention span. And no, I can't just walk away from my job and travel the world whenever I want to, I have kids to feed.

1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

Too many young living oil seminars, lol. She sounds like the poster child of the entitled millennial generation. 

SMH, I hadn't thought of that! You're right, it does sound like the kind of enticements MLM pushers throw out to try to get people to sign up for their downline. I'm all for doing what you love, but sometimes you have to do what you don't necessarily love, to put gas in the car (or tires on the bike, or shoes on your feet if they're what get you places) and food on the table. And a roof over all that.

Sorry to state the obvious. The YL connection just struck me hard, just now.

I guess she can afford to walk away from a job that's gotten boring... I don't know too many people her age who can just up and jump on an airplane to visit relatives. Somebody's subsidizing that lifestyle -- it doesn't sound like she's independently wealthy.

9 hours ago, xRoo said:

Raquel is giving reminding everyone that it's perfectly fine to "just leave" that job that doesn't make you blissfully happy. 

Well of course it's okay! Or she wouldn't have done it... how many times, now?

9 hours ago, xRoo said:

Also why is it that when she talks about God it always sounds sexual? Wait for his gentle touch, oh honey, he doesn't need your consent. 

She's following in the tradition of some religious mystics, perhaps? 

55 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

So I take it it will be bye bye college the minute it stops being fun and exciting and some professor offers narrowminded and unvisionary criticism.

Unfortunately, so many students do go to college expecting every moment to basically be like "Dead Poets Society" (not college, but definitely the vibe some people I went to college with were hoping to find in every lesson!). Her job goals definitely do sound like she may not be cut out for getting through the boring parts of college (though hopefully she can stick with it and learn a lot).

It is a win-win situation though. She can quit any responsibilities and friendships she doesn't like anymore and it is a good thing because she' s decided to follow her vision. However,  if someone should object they can not really argue because it was God's plan to change Raquel's life, so you can't blame her for following a stupid vision since it was all God and you can't argue with Good, and her consent was not required anyway. So if you like what she did she is taking the credit for being visionary and if you don't like it it is not her fault and you have to argue with God because God made her quit her job and her consent was not required.

Also, @AmazonGrace, just to add a little polish to what you wrote, if someone else does this kind of thing and it affects her in a negative way (like a guy walks away from a relationship with Raquel), then he's just being an unreasonable jerk.

Imagine if somehow she did manage to hook up with a soul-mate, who agreed to be the sole support of the household, and she had those babies she keeps dreaming of -- and then he decided he wasn't feeling fulfilled in his job, and walked away?

Would she still pronounce it perfectly fine?

I think the answer to that is fairly obvious, even without consulting the magical 8-ball.

Heck, imagine if she had kids and decided she wasn't being fufilled. The world doesn't need any more bathroom babies.

5 hours ago, Terrie said:

Heck, imagine if she had kids and decided she wasn't being fufilled. The world doesn't need any more bathroom babies.

She wont be fulfilled by children.  Unfortunately, I think she will LOVE pregnancy.  It's all about the attention.  A child, who is learning to be themselves, could never give Raquel the complete and uninterrupted attention she craves.   Which will be sad, because they will try very hard to.

A newborn, however, completely dependent and focused on its mother, may be able to do that.  And the attention associated with pregnancy and having a new baby (a rare time in a woman's life where society generally justifies a woman being selfish and looking out for her own needs) will be just the ticket for Raquel.

This, of course, will conflict terribly with Raquel's vanity.  Popping out babies is not known to be great on the figure.  

I could see Raquel suddenly becoming Quiverfull or adding another child every time her youngest starts to show a sense of self.  

Oh I hope not... 20 kids and that "i'll walk away if it is not fun" attitude just don't mix

Wow - so surround yourself with people just like yourself.  How.. shallow.  How bland.  I get so much out of people NOT like me.  People who have different views and experiences.  I heard a sermon (gasp) this morning on podcast and something was said in it about how we put people around us who show us things about ourselves that we normally can't see.  but how can I see those things if I have put others around me with my exact same view?  

As for canning a job because it is hard or difficult or doesn't excite me - Raquel - I am over 50.  I have a list of jobs I haven't been excited about.  But you know what - they paid my bills and put a roof over my head and food on the table.  That is the way the world works and not everyone is privileged and special and has the luxury of abandoned a job they dislike.  Debt collectors, utilities, the landlord and the grocery store doesn't function on whine whine whine I  didn't like my job.   

(I ran screaming from that last blog entry after the surrounding yourself with people like you nonsense and didn't read the rest)

It's totally fine to look for a job you're really interested in/excited about first, but when push comes to shove, you need to take the job that pays the bills and keep looking if you really don't like it. If she had any skills, she'd probably like working for a temp agency. That short attention span might work out for that, but you have to be able to perform some task that employers need.

17 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

It's totally fine to look for a job you're really interested in/excited about first, but when push comes to shove, you need to take the job that pays the bills and keep looking if you really don't like it. If she had any skills, she'd probably like working for a temp agency. That short attention span might work out for that, but you have to be able to perform some task that employers need.

And you have to know how to behave appropriately with the customers, even if (and maybe *especially when*) you're a temp. The receptionist doesn't just get up and do an impromptu waltz with the UPS guy... or the important client who just came in the door for his appointment with your boss. (In case you missed it, I'm referring to the time in the coffee shop when she wanted a customer to dance with her. I think he was a young cop? Not sure, but someone else probably remembers the details better than I do.)

ETA: And I'm pretty sure that none of my bosses, from the time years ago when I was a temp, would have been happy with me posting snapchats and other social media pictures of myself and/or my workplace. Maybe a coffee shop wouldn't mind the free publicity. OTOH, maybe it would drive potential customers to go find a quieter, saner place to have their caffeine fix. There are plenty of coffee places in this part of the world.

On 7/20/2016 at 3:10 PM, Terrie said:

Her stuff always has this undercurrent of "I'm special. I have passion and vision and the world OWES me for that." Her job, her friends, her relationships can never be ordinary. Her advice to walk away from unhealthy relationships might be worth more if her idea of a healthy relationship wasn't straight out of the movies.

THIS. She wants to live the life of Carrie Bradshaw -- a life that doesn't fucking exist and never fucking will. No, Raquel, you are not a special snowflake, and true passion is sticking with something or someone even when it's hard or boring or lots and lots of grunt work to get to the fun bits.

As for leaving jobs that make you unhappy, I've done that, but 1) I didn't do so until I had another job lined up, and 2) I was ridiculously conflicted about it; it basically took my parents and a therapist saying "the circumstances of this job are making you cut yourself and binge drink, you need to fucking quit" for me to make the decision to leave. Now, my particular situation is pretty exceptional (for those curious, quitting was the absolute best thing for my mental and physical health and I am much better now), but my point is, Raquel wimps out and flounces the second doing something doesn't fit her ideals. I can't imagine her parenting a child, living on her own, or leading any kind of stable adult life, because she'll just throw a fit if it's not a Pinterest picture all the time. Honestly, her best bet for happiness would be to marry a sugar daddy who could hire a nanny to raise the kids and make enough to let her be a "stay-at-home mom" (read: sits around reading Pinterest and writing crappy poems while some underpaid Honduran woman mothers her 5 kids she popped out in quick succession because she liked all the attention she got when she was pregnant).

Her latest is "How to compliment a girl." Trying to avoid reading too much into the fact that she says "girl" and not "woman." Among some things you can complment her on are her "visionary mindset." I tried to find a smiley that would properly convey my level of "you're kidding me, right?" but none of them come close to my level of "For the sake of all that it is good, please get over yourself."

I saw the header for her latest blog (they come to my email), shook my head and didn't actually read it.  Because I saw that not as now to compliment a girl but how to compliment Raquel.

She also suggests complementing someone on how humble they are. I'm not sure she understands the irony of that. Or, you know, what humble means. 

I actually agree with this:

5)  Know the difference
Compliment:  That color looks very nice on you.
Hitting on:  That color is sexy on you.

Compliment: Your smile is very lovely.
Hitting on:  You're hot.

It's perfectly possible to compliment a stranger without sounding amazingly creepy. It's all about the words you pick. For example, some random old dude in a parking lot once said I look good in lime green, and while I was a little puzzled I found it flattering. If he had said "you look sexy in lime green" I would have been majorly creeped out.

Then she says this:

Time and place, people.  Time and place.

*cough* AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :dramallama-nanner:

I don't know what that smiley is supposed to imply. I just think it's kind of funny.

That is the Drama Llama. I haven't used him yet, mostly because someone always beats me to it.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived