IGNORED

What's Going On in Maxhell? A Whole Lotta Nothing, Pt. 2

FundieFarmer

21 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

*Does anybody else have an ever-growing list of photographer friends?  It seems to be the trendy young mom career around here. 

Yes and some are good and some are meh. They seem to only do outdoor photography, I think indoor is a bit tricker. 

---

So I pop over to the Maxwell thread every once in awhile.Well it's exactly like the last time, nothing exciting and all are still in full on codependency mode. 

Back to other threads :D

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a budding pro-photographer. I have done jobs for some of my friends/family.  I also have a growing interest in astrophotography.  I can do better than the Maxwells since I am always learning new techniques.

Hyde Mill and Milky Way 800.jpg

22 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Yes and some are good and some are meh. They seem to only do outdoor photography, I think indoor is a bit tricker. 

I know tons of people who have become photographers. None of them are good at what they do. And I'm amazed that they actually have clients. As far as I can tell, all you need to do to establish yourself as a professional photographer is to buy an expensive camera and have the ability to suck up to your clients on your Facebook page. 

2 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

I know tons of people who have become photographers. None of them are good at what they do. And I'm amazed that they actually have clients. As far as I can tell, all you need to do to establish yourself as a professional photographer is to buy an expensive camera and have the ability to suck up to your clients on your Facebook page. 

A lot of times it's not even THAT expensive a camera, as cameras go. Many of the mom-with-a-camera type photographers have entry level DSLRs with kit lenses bought on Black Friday, set in "auto". Throw some Pinteresty filters on, and people will eat that up!

The fact is many people just don't actually know what's good, sometimes because they just can't see it. A photo can be off-focus and have a tree growing out of someone's head and a dog pooping in the background and they just don't see it. 

Those baby pics posted before are pretty typical average ones for most inexpensive photographers. Same poses, same cliches, washed out filters-a-la-Pinterest, and people beg for those even when they do shell out money for a more highly skilled photographer - and I've seen lots of pros complaining about that online. Some have come to appreciate the entry-level mom-with-a-camera types for weeding out the customers that prefer that, I think.

I'm an intermediate level amateur photographer at best, and I've had occasional inquiries about doing photos for people. I'll do it for close family and friends sometimes, for free, only for non-critical things (no weddings or anything like that) on the stipulation that if they don't turn out well, they got what they paid for. I'd be a nervous wreck doing a paid job.

17 hours ago, Divemaster01 said:

I am a budding pro-photographer. I have done jobs for some of my friends/family.  I also have a growing interest in astrophotography.  I can do better than the Maxwells since I am always learning new techniques.

That sky photo is gorgeous! I have managed to get one Milky Way photo myself, but it was completely blurry. :-(

Thanks Alisamer for your kind words.  The key is using manual focus for a scene like this, find something to focus on at your chosen focal length.  I used the light of a distant farm down the road. When it was sharp, I new the rest of it would be.  This was taken at 10:13 PM on July 26. Settings were F.3.5, ISO 3200, focal length 18 mm, 30 second exposure. The light pollution here is non-existent. See light pollution for your area here.    

Back to the Maxwells, they would never stay up late to see God's glorious universe like this because it might deviate from their precious schedule :) 

15 minutes ago, Divemaster01 said:

This was taken at 10:13 PM on July 26. Settings were F.3.5, ISO 3200, focal length 18 mm, 30 second exposure.

Thank you for providing the camera settings! As an eager hobbyist, I always like to see the data behind nice pictures in order to learn something new. As for getting sharp photos in dark, using a tripod is pretty much a must, of course. I'm very lazy to drag it with me and often end up trying to find a bench or a fence or something to lean on, and the end results are what you might expect - not that great. 

Do you have an online portfolio, a Flickr account or something? I would love to see more of your photos - that Milky Way pic surely is beautiful!

I have not really done too much with online photo albums, too busy writing my blog Adventures in Travel.  Unike the Maxwells I have lots to write about!  You can see places that my husband and I visited, I showcase my pics there and on Facebook under my personal account. 

Thanks! I'll check your blog out.

1 hour ago, Divemaster01 said:

Back to the Maxwells, they would never stay up late to see God's glorious universe like this because it might deviate from their precious schedule :) 

They infinitely prefer to see God's glorious universe at dawn.  They have seen plenty of those.

The Maxwells famously refuse to change their clocks when traveling between time zones because of the sacred schedule.  I don'r remember what they do about daylight savings time.  They are probably on Maxwell time year round.

Nice photos, BTW!

Very nice pix, everyone!

I do know two women who have turned their interest in photography into a business. One left a career in finance and has a studio in her home. The other was a nurse who decided to take the plunge and within a year had a thriving business and was able to quit her day job. She's been incredibly successful and has now branched out from portraiture to commercial work. At one point, she had a studio in Chicago but most of her work now is on location.

I don't think it would matter if Christopher studied with the masters. You can learn about lighting, you can learn about composition, you can learn to edit but you've either got that innate creative eye or you don't, and he don't. There's no heart and soul in his photos. IMO, he's got no passion for photography either, it's just his assigned role. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Love the night sky pic Divemaster01!

Photography is a hobby for me and I know people who have made a business out of it. There's a difference between having a photography business and being a professional photographer with a business. True professionals have put in a lot of studying in a school of some sort and training and have acquired a degree or merits. However, anyone is allowed to start their own business and profit from it. If someone likes the photos a non-professional takes and wants to pay them for it then why not.  

I actually see both sides of the issue- professionals who do this for a living are being cut in the profits by amateurs. But if what the amateurs are delivering is what people want then that's what's going to sell.  I think people today like the natural light, somewhat posed-somewhat candid photos. The studio portraits or outdoor very posed portraits are not popular. Styles come and go I don't see anything wrong with Pinteresty photos if that's what a family wants.  

But not all of these overnight photography businesses can succeed. There are too many of them and if they don't have proper training and business skills, they aren't going to make it when it comes to handling difficult customers. 

On July 24, 2016 at 7:31 AM, meee said:

@Odd1Out - "they are flying on airplanes again" - is this something they were previously against?  I don't remember that!

Sorry, I hadn't been on here to reply but see someone answered you. 

On July 31, 2016 at 4:40 AM, Divemaster01 said:

Divemaster01- those stars!  So gorgeous!!! :)

Good job! 

So I just took my first look at the Maxhell family blog today.  It was truly eye opening.  I feel like I have learned SO many valuable things.  Like I should be carrying pepper spray when walking my dog, Christmas in July seems like such a thrill, how to nest before giving birth and the oh so important skill of making baby gender announcement signs!! This is some of the most boring shit I have ever read and yet I just keep reading it.  It's right up there with Sierra's blog.  Now excuse me while I go grab myself a Pepsi. I may need it to power through their blog.  Oh how sinful lol  

15 minutes ago, Jessie E said:

So I just took my first look at the Maxhell family blog today.  It was truly eye opening.  I feel like I have learned SO many valuable things.  Like I should be carrying pepper spray when walking my dog, Christmas in July seems like such a thrill, how to nest before giving birth and the oh so important skill of making baby gender announcement signs!! This is some of the most boring shit I have ever read and yet I just keep reading it.  It's right up there with Sierra's blog.  Now excuse me while I go grab myself a Pepsi. I may need it to power through their blog.  Oh how sinful lol  

The Maxwell's are like a train wreck. You don't want to look, but you feel like you have to just to see what happens next. 

10 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

The Maxwell's are like a train wreck. You don't want to look, but you feel like you have to just to see what happens next. 

Yep. Just in case there is something interesting like a surprise wedding- involving a Maxwell girl, especially Sarah.

Otherwise, it's just lather, rinse, repeat.

There are so many bad photographers. My cousin had a GORGEOUS wedding and thank goodness other people took photos. Their photographer had some really pricey equipment and was doing some sort of "photojournalist" style where he did posed photos for about 2 minutes and gave up, stood around doing nothing during key moments (totally disappearing during toasts and dinner), decided to f--- the photo-booth, and then inexplicably sitting on the dance floor to take photos. We won't be shocked if the only photos are up skirt shots or something. The whole time i was thinking "Christopher Maxwell would do a better job" Which is CRAZY, but at least CM would have gotten some family shots posed. So there are some really bad photographers out there and they charge a lot. I wonder if Christopher's million silly rules about the morality of the weddings he shoots isn't as much about Steve's rules but a way of getting out from doing more than one or two weddings a year. Because although he might be better than the photographer at my cousin's wedding, he's still one of the worst I've seen display their "art" online. Even the cell phone photos my family took as a response to the photographer are better than CM's stuff. 

26 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Their wardrobe choices are sufficiently worse than the Duggars!  Very hard on the eyes!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived