IGNORED

So we adopted a boxer mix, I think I've lost my mind!

Shadoewolf

Hubby finally decided it was time for me to have some help and daytime company since I'm still suffering from post concussion syndrome. This came to our house this week in the form of a 7 week old boxer/English Bulldog puppy. Who is cute and wrinkly and really smart, but I feel SO out of my element here!  I've rescued pits and pit mixes, huskies, and GSD's with less stubborn temperament. Some of my usual training techniques work but others not at all. Biggest problem right now is he isn't potty trained yet (and at 7 weeks I don't expect him to be) and he HATES being crated at night. The neighbors must think we're killing him for all the racket he makes.

If anyone has experience with boxers, any input/advice would be great! 

Seven weeks?  He is a tiny baby.  What happened to mom? 

Are you using positive reinforcement and clicker training?  I really recommend it.

It is a long time since I had a puppy but ...  If he hates the crate - you need to make it a really positive place.  Feed him in it, give him treats in it, put him in there for very short periods during the day and vary the amount of time.  Make it warm and cozy and a really nice little den.  Where is his crate?  It should probably be in your bedroom.  He should in the same room with you at night in case you need to rush him out (or to a puppy pad) and he must really be missing his mama.

I hope people with more recent experience of puppies chime in soon.

I'm very sorry you are dealing with post concussion syndrome.  I hope it improves.

Also, we need photos. :)

I agree with @Palimpsest, seven weeks is awfully young. Most pups get important anti-mouthing training from littermates and mama until 9 weeks.

A pup is NEVER too young to start training. Positive reinforcement is the way to go. Patricia McConnell's books are short and easy to follow. I don't want to open a can o' worms, but please stay away from Cesar Milan's advice.

I have Greyhounds, who are usually good with crates, but you need to make the crate the happiest place on earth. It should be comfortable and in a good place (usually where the pup can see and hear you). My dogs only get the highest value treats when they go in the crate, so they are happy to do so.

Most puppies need to go outside about 15-20 minutes after drinking water and 30-60 minutes after eating. You should start with going out a ridiculously high number of times (read every hour) with you giving the biggest, squealiest, happy dance with treats and praise every time he relieves himself outside. You should take him to the same area every time when you first go out, to signal this is a relief break, not an exercise walk. Once he "gets" it, you can start increasing the time between trips outside. I know it's hard, but don't scold him when he has an accident inside. Ignore that and reward going outside.

Finally, I agree that pictures are required!!

Training my Sophie was relatively easy since she was 11 weeks when I brought her home. I agree with @GreyhoundFan, ignore the potty mistakes and make a big joyful deal out of going outside the instant he finishes. He will catch on soon enough.

Socialize him like crazy every chance you get! I took Sophie to PetSmart every week for new chew toys when she was little. She would meet other people and dogs on a regular basis. Although it's not my habit I started going to a coffee shop in the next town just so we could sit outside and meet people and dogs.

There is a training school/doggy day care place nearby and I signed us up for puppy pre-school and puppy training. It was money very well spent.  Pre-school was half training and half playtime. It was a HOOT! Puppy school was a little pre and post class socializing but during training time the dogs learned to ignore each other. 

Good luck, have fun and congratulations! 

I will also take this opportunity to send advance condolences for your shoes, remote control, toilet paper, table legs and everything else he will get into!

I've done crate training and rescue before, including bottle feeds and stuff. We keep bite size training treats on us at all times. Potty training is going okay, in that he'll go to the side door and look at us. His crate is downstairs in the kitchen, with a straight view to the side door. We're working the leash now. Theres just a level of stubborn (and mouthy as in talking back kinda thing) with this lil guy that I'm not used to. This is our first boxer.

20160607_135120.jpg

20160609_224635.jpg

He is adorable! 

I've had some attitude problems with Sophie from time to time. Sometimes she forgets that she isn't actually in charge. She will even vocalize to me if I'm  not doing what she wants me to. Generally, I just need to use my firm voice, make her comply with a few commands and she remembers her place in the world. 

@Shadoewolf Aw, he's such a cutie!

Have you considered either moving his crate to your bedroom or putting a second crate there? It often helps them sleep if they can be in the same room with you. It took some figuring and working to get my last dog's crate in the right place so she could be happy and sleep through the night.

We have a crate upstairs in our room (all bedrooms are upstairs) and a crate downstairs. Upstairs crate is her bed, downstairs crate is where she hangs when we're not home, when she needs to chill, when the kids are pestering her too much.

Our mutt is REALLY pack-oriented, so having her on a floor different from the rest of us is torture for her. 

It sounds like you may have adopted yourself a little alpha.

That is an absolutely adorable puppy!

My experience recently has all been with adult dogs and the last time I potty trained a puppy (my JRT) was in 1986.  That is why I need to defer to others.  On the other hand, even in 1986 the prevailing wisdom was that if your puppy had an accident in the house you should roll up a newspaper - and hit yourself on the head with it for not taking puppy out often enough.

We always have fun at training classes and I strongly advise them for everyone.  You do have to check around a bit for positive training methods.  Some people claim they use them (it is a popular buzz word at the moment) but don't really understand what it means.  I ask to observe a class, without the latest pooch there, before I commit to classes.

@GreyhoundFan - you dared to mention Voldemort!  :)

54 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

@GreyhoundFan - you dared to mention Voldemort!  :)

LOL, I was thinking more of Beetlejuice. I should probably hit myself on the head with a newspaper for doing so.

Jake (not from State Farm!) is getting better at night. We couldn't bring him upstairs because hubby works long hours and needs sleep but we put one of my shirts(not washed so it had my scent) in his crate and that helped. He's going outside as soon as he wakes up, about 10-15 min after he eats, and anytime it looks like hes sniffing excessively. Lots of praise and treats and seems like he's getting it. He comes when called and likes to sit/curl up right next to my feet or next to my daughters on the floor. When he bit me a lil too hard I bit him back on his ear and rolled him onto his back, he whined but I think he got the point.  Got rid of his wormy belly this week and hes getting neutured next week. :)

Beautiful puppy!

I had a Boxer/Dalmatian. And she was the most amazing dog! With the most gorgeous Dalmatian spots and a lean body, only, with a cute, boxy face! We found her while camping in the high desert - free, in a box, amongst her other siblings. How I wish we could have had them all!

[Dont mind me! Puppies are a trigger for me to go off on a tangent: In fact, I love puppies, and animals in general, so very much, that still to this very day, my dream-proposal-scene takes place in a room full of puppies. I like to think it is the only way I would say, yes! Gawd, it's embarrassing to admit this childish thought.]

However, I would not describe her as stubborn, as you do yours. But wow, Boxers, and their associated traits, make for such a great dog! Silly, and sweet. The pictures you posted, remind me so much of Mango, the boxer/dalmatian I mentioned, I just had to share this with you. You are going to have such wonderful memories with Jake! The only advice I have, is to socialize - but that was already mentioned.

By the way, where or how did you come to name him, Jake?

@Local Gorilla, I'm trying to think of what you'd call a Boxer/Dalmation cross.  A Doxer?  A Dalloxer? A Boxmation?  

I saw something last week that was supposed to be a cross between a Dal and a Dachshund.  I think they called it a Dalsmachund.  It was just a chocolate dapple dachshund, like my dachsie.  Yes, some dachsies have spots.  They had another supposed dachsie cross, but I think it was just a long-haired dachshund.

OOo, a Dalsmachund... that does sound intriguing!

I do not currently own a dog. But sometimes I really need fix, so Ill take my man, and we will go to the busiest, largest dog-park in the city, to play and interact with other people's dogs. It almost feels wrong, looking at other people's dogs and interacting with them, without permission. Like a caninephile? And I do get weird looks. I know what their thinking, "Did they even bring a dog?" There is always a lot of side-eye going on. But there are too many dogs in the park to account for, so they couldn't really accuse me of not bringing in a dog of my own. LOL.

On 6/15/2016 at 10:29 PM, Local Gorilla said:

It almost feels wrong, looking at other people's dogs and interacting with them, without permission.

It is wrong.  Don't ever interact with other people's dogs without permission.  It is very rude and it isn't necessarily safe for you.

The correct etiquette is to find the owner, compliment the dog and ask politely if you can pet or play with it.  People will usually say yes, but some dogs are shy or easily frightened and some people may ask you to leave their dog alone for good reason.  

Also, dogless strangers at a dog parks could be looking for bait for their fighting dogs.

On 6/15/2016 at 10:29 PM, Local Gorilla said:

It almost feels wrong, looking at other people's dogs and interacting with them, without permission. Like a caninephile? And I do get weird looks. I know what their thinking, "Did they even bring a dog?" There is always a lot of side-eye going on. But there are too many dogs in the park to account for, so they couldn't really accuse me of not bringing in a dog of my own. LOL.

The reason it feels wrong is because it is wrong. You don't go touch or interact with other people's pets without permission. If you really want to pet a dog, do the right thing and go ask the owner, but don't make up bullshit excuses to do the wrong thing. 

Oh my. I was enjoyed the light conversation in this thread. Alas, satire does not translate. 

Yes, it sounds ridiculous. In fact, so ridiculous,... because the truth has been stretched for the purposes of an entertaining anecdote.  Sure, I will tag along with a friend, when they he visits the park with his dog. And since I am there without a canine, we joke about it - like I attempted to do here! Because it is awkward, in a humorous way. Oh, the the possibilities therein, of my being there solely to creep on others' dogs! Such as, the judgmental looks and side-eyes, in this particularly posh park that sits in the middle of the city. But since then, I have actually also gone in alone, when I am already at the park to read or curate a show. It is cheerful, not weird.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

The reason it feels wrong is because it is wrong. You don't go touch or interact with other people's pets without permission. If you really want to pet a dog, do the right thing and go ask the owner, but don't make up bullshit excuses to do the wrong thing. 

I will sit on a the bench, and before long I am dog-piled with friendly Fidos, introducing themselves to me - this is a leash-free dog park, where dogs run around and introduce themselves to everyone. We are talking about a public off-leash dog park. It is definitely, usually, NOT wrong, to pet a dog therein.

In a public dog park, many people interact with one another's canine. It is normal. The first question they usually ask, "What's his name?", while they are either already petting the stranger-dog, or throwing the ball for 'em. It is never followed up with, "Can I pet him?"  You see,these park-goers do not normally ask one another if they can pet one another's dog, because it Fido has - usually - already come up and shown interest first. Maybe urban dog-parks are different, not so friendly. No one should be bringing a dangerous dog with a history of biting.

And by entering the dog park, I take an assumption of risk, and I am fine with it. Furthermore, if an owner's dog is prone to biting, or is dangerous, and they have brought him to such a park regardless, the owner is responsible for any injuries to human or dog. Leash-optional parks are not zones of immunity for irresponsible dog owners and dangerous dogs.

16 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Also, dogless strangers at a dog parks could be looking for bait for their fighting dogs.

Sure, I guess they could be. But strangers with dogs, could be "looking for bait for their fighting dogs", just as well. In fact, the latter is far more bound to happen. And even then, that seems like fear-mongering.

In short, I was just trying to participate in what I thought to be, a light conversation with a funny anecdote. I am not an idiot who inappropriately reaches for someone's distempered dog on a leash, on the street. And I am sorry if anyone took issue with my post. Ugh. I have to go to work... I will sign in again late tonight! Take care! :my_smile:

7 hours ago, Local Gorilla said:

Oh my. I was enjoyed the light conversation in this thread. Alas, satire does not translate. 

Yes, it sounds ridiculous. In fact, so ridiculous,... because the truth has been stretched for the purposes of an entertaining anecdote. 

It didn't sound like satire. 

When my dear doggies were still alive I ended up having to stop going to the one dog park available, because people without dogs thought it was perfectly cool to come over, sit down and start petting and holding my dogs all without asking. It was a bummer because the dog park also had a nice child park for my daughter and I found it worth the drive. But rude people ruined it. This was also a public off leash dog park and it is still rude to do that at those sorts of parks.

So no, that was not an entertaining anecdote, that just sounded like another person who thought it is okay to go to dog parks and pet dogs without permission. 

I just want to say that 6our puppy is adorable. Boxers are extremely loyal dogs. However you need to make sure you are the boss ASAP and be consistant. Obedience training is crucial along with consistency.  Boxers WILL  take on the role of your protector if you let them  and it often leads to an aggressive dog. So be the boss, train early, be consistent,  and socialize,  socialize,  socialize! Do those 4 things now and you will have  an amazingly wonderful, happy, goofy, loving family pet. 

I have friends with exhibits of both Boxer dog rearing practices. One of them is not pretty.

Enjoy him! You sound like you have lots of dog experience. I really just wanted to affirm your note of a stubborn" streak in him. I know that is a Boxer thing. I don't have experience really with the English Bulldog part.  

• 1 month later...

We picked Jake because we wanted him to have a more normal name, as he now goes with me EVERYWHERE. All our other animals have 'magical' names.

He's doing very well in most things. He knows who is boss in the house, has potty training down pat and our biggest issue right now is barking. Secondary is chewing but he's a teething puppy. We had to get him a puzzle bowl to slow him down when he eats. He is always out in public, and for the most part is inclined to lick someone half to death. Bit protective if you move too fast on me and when hubby went on a hell of a screaming fit the other day, there was Jake, right at my side.  Normally he and hubby are besties but Jake wasn't about to let him near me with the mood he was in.

Because our pretty little town is located near a city with very high crime rates, he often gets mistaken for a pit mix. I've gone head to head with the neighbors twice. Local police have met Jake, deemed him safe and told said bitchy neighbor to stop harassing my children every time they're out walking him. 

So far he just keeps me on my toes and the kids adore him!

Dogs and crates:

I had one pup that we crate trained. We got him as a 10 week old pup, GSD/Lab/Rottie(?) mix. Smart as hell, goofy as they come. As a wee pup, his crate was next to our bed and I spent many nights on the floor next to him with my hand inside the crate. He was MY dog. He LOVED his crate and even as an adult, we kept his crate. It was his place, his "night-night". He got fed in it and every night when he went night-night, he got a "nommy". 

Unfortunately, when our lives blew up and we lost our house, we had to rehome him and our other dog. They went to a friend of a friend and have a yard and kids. I haven't gone to visit them because it would crush me. 

Its hard, giving up furbabies. We had one of our rescue pups for more than a year, we all got SO attached. He found a home with a friend of mine and I still get a bit misty-eyed when she posts pics on her FB. But I know by seeing the pics that he is happy and loved, so its a small comfort. 

It has now been almost a year and I STILL cry when I look at their pictures. I wonder sometimes if they know how much they were loved. 

Archived