IGNORED

Lori Alexander Pt. 9: Writing The World's Worst Book

I'm watching CNN now and awhile ago two commercials for publishing companies  came out. One company is called Christian Faith Publishing and basically did the whole spiel about how "Are you a Christian author and need a publisher?". The other company was Page Publishing, which also offered a "free" author's submission kit.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first post after lurking for years! I'm a writer (though not of the delightful book that is my avatar) so at last feel I have something to contribute:

I believe that those two mentioned above are vanity presses. I think it's very likely that Lori's publisher is also vanity, though I don't think she's idenitifed them yet, has she? Or that she will be self-publishing.

If you want to know more about any publisher, the writing forum Absolute Write is a wonderful resource. There is discussion there on most every publisher. (Their search function is lacking, so best to use the stickied publisher index.)

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?22-Bewares-Recommendations-amp-Background-Check

Some scammy publishers highlight Christianity as a way to get authors to trust them. Some well-intentioned but highly inexperienced small publishers highlight their faith genuinely, but the effect for authors can be the same: a poorly published book that uses up their first rights.

She said editor, does that indicate the step in process? It's supposedly the editor editing Stephan Curry's book.

1 hour ago, iheartchacos said:

She said editor, does that indicate the step in process? It's supposedly the editor editing Stephan Curry's book.

There are freelance editors out there. It's not hard to get them to bid on your book on an online freelancing website, though quality most definitely will vary.

1 hour ago, refugee said:

There are freelance editors out there. It's not hard to get them to bid on your book on an online freelancing website, though quality most definitely will vary.

I can't imagine she'll really want an editor. The most she will want is a proofreader. She can't tolerate constructive criticism.

Out of curiosity, I googled to see if there were news articles on Stephen Curry's book and nothing comes up except for links to books that were written about him by other people. I find it a bit odd since in recent years whenever athletes or actors write or have books ghost written it becomes huge news(think Aziz Ansari Amy Schumer books) in magazines and entertainment news sites.   It's possible that Curry and the editor are trying to shop the book around with help from an agent. I hope that editor ditches Lori later on, I've said it before I hope there is a chance her book gets scrapped.

Stephen Curry is a major athlete.  Some are calling him this generation's Michael Jordan.  He's a big star.

Would an editor dealing with a big star like that really deal with Lori?  Is that typical?

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

Stephen Curry is a major athlete.  Some are calling him this generation's Michael Jordan.  He's a big star.

Would an editor dealing with a big star like that really deal with Lori?  Is that typical?

That's what I find a bit puzzling. In recent years, there have been some popular bloggers, vloggers, and podcasters who have received book deals and published books. Good examples are Christian vlogger and blogger Jefferson Bethke, vlogger Joey Graceffa, Young House Love bloggers, and others who have huge Internet followings. Lori's blog isn't that popular. I suspect some of the people who "liked" her blog on FB are against her and lurk on that FB page. Of course, we don't know how many hits her blog gets per day, but I don't think it's a large number. If Lori's blog was well known like Pioneer Woman or NieNie's, it wouldn't be surprising if an editor also working with major athlete would be working with her.

I think it might be possible that Stephen Curry has a book deal but is keeping it on the down low. There have been other Christian athletes and sports coaches who have released books and sometimes they are with Christian publishers. Former NFL coach Tony Dungy has released several books and including one with his wife about marriage. Tyndale Publishing has released those books. Tim Tebow's book was published through HarperOne, a division of HarperCollins that focuses on religious themed books. I can see companies like these being interested in a book by Stephen Curry. There are other Christian companies that could possibly working with Curry, but it is still odd that an editor and company would also be willing to work with an unpopular Christian blogger like Lori.

My guess for Lori's editor/publisher is Mel Cohen and Inspired Authors Press: http://inspiredauthorspress.com/

Mel Cohen edited Erin Harrison's book Living Virtuously (Lori wrote a back cover review) and CTBHHM 10th Anniversary edition (Erin Harrison illustrated). I think Erin and/or Debi hooked her up with this guy.

Lori has another post up by Shannon Ethridge. This one, however, lists "Guest Post by Shannon Ethridge" as opposed to "Written by Shannon Ethridge." It seems to be the exact same post as Shannon had at Intimacy in Marriage last year. I wonder if Shannon allowed Lori to use this or if Lori is just clueless about what a guest post actually is.

15 hours ago, molecule said:

Lori has another post up by Shannon Ethridge. This one, however, lists "Guest Post by Shannon Ethridge" as opposed to "Written by Shannon Ethridge." It seems to be the exact same post as Shannon had at Intimacy in Marriage last year. I wonder if Shannon allowed Lori to use this or if Lori is just clueless about what a guest post actually is.

I wonder if Shannon found out about Lori using her posts and then emailed to ask for credit. I think if something that happend, Lori's ass would have been chapped.

Okay, I'm sorry, but she is just a complete hypocrite.  Today she dared to post a picture of a group of young ladies who she identified as the homecoming court at her son's Christian highschool.

First she posted her own picture at homecoming (holding herself as the standard for modesty of course).  Then she post the picture of the girls her son went to school with.  She says the following:

This picture below is from my son's Homecoming Court. He attended a private Christian High School.  These dresses are very low cut and all made out of slinky material that looks more like lingerie than dresses and this is at a Christian High School!

She continues:

We must train our daughters up to know better than this. They need to dress according to biblical standards, not the standards of our culture. God calls women to be shamefacedness; not drawing attention to ourselves.

Are you absolutely kidding me??  She's criticizing the way other people's daughters dress?  What about her own daughters?  Why isn't she posting their pictures as an example of immodesty?  How dare she shame these other girls?

Crazy!

1. Nice way to let us all know, Lori, that you were on the homecoming court in high school. Humble bragging, much? :pb_rollseyes:

2. I'm kind of appalled that she didn't at least blur out the faces of those girls in the more recent photo. If I were one of them, or even their parents, I'd be pretty pissed off right now. :my_angry:

3. This is one of those times I wish I had a second FB account. I'd love to post that pic of Lori in her low cut dress on her wall. 

Hypocrisy, thy name is Lori Alexander.

I can answer Lori's question about how dresses look at public school now: about the same as the picture from the Christian school. 

I am a bit surprised that those dresses were allowed at a Christian high school. The one I worked at would not have allowed that. There was a dress code for homecoming and not-prom which included no strapless dresses, no spaghetti straps, no halter style, etc...the uptight admins would have been slapping ugly knitted shawls on those girls and securing them with clothes pins and ordering them not to remove them all night. 

That said, I don't have a problem with what the girls are wearing. 

2 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I can answer Lori's question about how dresses look at public school now: about the same as the picture from the Christian school. 

I am a bit surprised that those dresses were allowed at a Christian high school. The one I worked at would not have allowed that. There was a dress code for homecoming and not-prom which included no strapless dresses, no spaghetti straps, no halter style, etc...the uptight admins would have been slapping ugly knitted shawls on those girls and securing them with clothes pins and ordering them not to remove them all night. 

That said, I don't have a problem with what the girls are wearing. 

Yeah, my daughter's prom and homecoming dresses looked much like those in the picture. Maybe a little shorter as she's very short and long dresses don't look quite right on her. She wouldn't have been allowed to wear anything like that in middle school, though, as she went to a Catholic school then. At the very least, she'd have been made to cover up with a little sweater (a shrug? not sure what they're called). 

1 minute ago, Loveday said:

Yeah, my daughter's prom and homecoming dresses looked much like those in the picture. Maybe a little shorter as she's very short and long dresses don't look quite right on her. She wouldn't have been allowed to wear anything like that in middle school, though, as she went to a Catholic school then. At the very least, she'd have been made to cover up with a little sweater (a shrug? not sure what they're called). 

What those girls were wearing would have been fine at the Catholic school I taught at. The only thing they got real worried about, for whatever reason, was excessively short dresses--like the ones that show everything when the girls bent over at all while dancing. 

The Christian school I taught at did not have dances. Homecoming was a "banquet" in the gym with each class contributing some sort of lame entertainment. Prom was called "Classic" (I always went with "not-Prom") and was a formal meal in another location with the juniors providing lame entertainment for the seniors. Sometimes, not-Prom entertainment got pretty amusing because the juniors would take skit ideas from pop culture without the official faculty sponsors having any idea as they were hardcore about avoiding all that. So we had Seinfeld references, SNL characters and ,one year, part of the "Lumberjack Song" from Monty Python and only a few teachers knew where it all came from (and we never told on them--we would have just got in trouble ourselves for knowing what it was). 

I'd be livid if Lori posted my daughter's picture on her blog. Lori, you're treading on thin ice. 

I'm actually pretty prudish when it comes to teen clothing. I am uncomfortable with the super-short shorts and crop tops and low-cut tops. But those dresses? I don't see the issue. The two in the middle might be a little low cut, but not to the point that I'd call them inappropriate for prom. So throw a wrap over their shoulders if they're a problem. But apparently they weren't or the school admin would have said or done something.

I'm going to be flat-out catty here, so fair warning to sensitive people ... 

Spoiler

Maybe the issue isn't the girls' modesty but that the girls have more to show than Lori does in her seriously plunging neckline. Someone's a bit jealous or plain old lacks body confidence. 

2 hours ago, Loveday said:

I'd love to post that pic of Lori in her low cut dress on her wall. 

You mean the one that is cut practically to her waistline?  Yes, now that you mention it, Lori described the clothing of the girls she was shaming as:

These dresses are very low cut and all made out of slinky material that looks more like lingerie than dresses

Lori's low cut top is made out of material exactly like that and is cut far lower than any of the girls she is shaming. Maybe she should have posted her own picture as an example of immodesty.

8 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

What those girls were wearing would have been fine at the Catholic school I taught at. The only thing they got real worried about, for whatever reason, was excessively short dresses--like the ones that show everything when the girls bent over at all while dancing. 

The Christian school I taught at did not have dances. Homecoming was a "banquet" in the gym with each class contributing some sort of lame entertainment. Prom was called "Classic" (I always went with "not-Prom") and was a formal meal in another location with the juniors providing lame entertainment for the seniors. Sometimes, not-Prom entertainment got pretty amusing because the juniors would take skit ideas from pop culture without the official faculty sponsors having any idea as they were hardcore about avoiding all that. So we had Seinfeld references, SNL characters and ,one year, part of the "Lumberjack Song" from Monty Python and only a few teachers knew where it all came from (and we never told on them--we would have just got in trouble ourselves for knowing what it was). 

My daughter's school was concerned with length, too, but their big problem was with spaghetti straps or no-straps. It was hard, let me tell ya, trying to find a semi-formal little dress with sleeves--that my daughter would actually WEAR! --for the 8th grade graduation dance! :pb_lol:

1 minute ago, Loveday said:

My daughter's school was concerned with length, too, but their big problem was with spaghetti straps or no-straps. It was hard, let me tell ya, trying to find a semi-formal little dress with sleeves--that my daughter would actually WEAR! --for the 8th grade graduation dance! :pb_lol:

We teach confirmation at our church and our previous director was very uptight about confirmation dresses not being sleeveless. In late April or early May. Everyone constantly told her that junior dresses that 8th grade girls actually want to wear that are seasonally appropriate are almost all sleeveless. She would not bend. Most of the girls last year ended up wearing sweaters over their dresses for the mass. I was wearing a sleeveless dress which she looked all askance at, I did not care. 

Thankfully, we now have a new director who said sleeveless is not a hill we should be dying on or wasting our time arguing with teens and parents about. They still ask that dresses not be too short and no spaghetti straps or strapless. 

Even worse than that, the parish I worked in demanded for years that 8th grade girls wear pantyhose and closed toed shoes to confirmation. A 70-something woman was in charge and that was the appropriate attire in her day and she saw no need to change it now. That policy was a yearly nightmare for the 8th grade theology teacher at the school who was in charge of the school kids being confirmed (the elderly lady was in charge of the parish kids who went to public school and for whatever reason got to call all the shots). 

Dress codes have to be reasonable enough that people can actually find clothes that meet their requirements, and for teens especially, should be aware enough of current fashion so that they are comfortable in their skin. Especially at these meaningful life events. But I know that that is not a common view, especially within church/religious circles. 

The only "modesty" difference between the two pictures is the bare arms. Oh, and the fact that the dresses were made out of slinky material.

Lori's dress at the wedding is way more low-cut than any dress in either picture. Here's a reminder:

greg's wedding.jpg

Posting pictures of other people's kids is so, so inappropriate---and then to compound that by judging the "Godliness" of their clothing?? This would be absolutely horrible coming from someone who wore head coverings and ankle-length frumpers; but  when you factor in the glaring hypocrisy....mind boggling. 

I really wish someone from the school would see this and call her on it.  Being Queen Bee of her little blog world is not good for this woman---she needs a reality check. 

29 minutes ago, molecule said:

The only "modesty" difference between the two pictures is the bare arms. Oh, and the fact that the dresses were made out of slinky material.

Lori's dress at the wedding is way more low-cut than any dress in either picture. Here's a reminder:

greg's wedding.jpg

The woman wearing that dress dares critique anyone on their modesty? Oh hell no. She can stuff it where the sun don't shine and I sincerely hope the kids' parents get hold of this picture and her blog post. 

59 minutes ago, molecule said:

greg's wedding.jpg

bbm -- yep, Lori's dress exposes far more chest area than the homecoming girls' dresses showed. I have no idea how she's sitting on her throne of superiority sniping away at them. The girls she's criticizing look happy and pretty.

How dare they. smh.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived