IGNORED

Emergency recipe calls for help!

HerNameIsBuffy

I need a great coconut cake recipe.  My baby turned 21 today and we've got the bakery cake as backup, but I want to give homemade another shot.

for whatever reason I can't get coconut cake to come out the right texture - so if anyone had a can't miss recipe please post it asap today so I can make it for tonight.

thanks!

Wish I could help you, but I don't have a coconut cake recipe. It's a typical American cake I guess? Could you do with something else? Like a Mississippi Mud Pie or Cake with Lemon Curd and cream?

17 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Wish I could help you, but I don't have a coconut cake recipe. It's a typical American cake I guess? Could you do with something else? Like a Mississippi Mud Pie or Cake with Lemon Curd and cream?

Coconut cakes have holes in them to soak up coconut syrup - so not quite a regular American can.  And are made with coconut milk.  I can do a cake from scratch all day long, it's the intense moisture in one of these that I screw up no matter how carefully I follow a recipe and it turns into a mess.

and for his birthday it's coconut or nothing. :). He's soooooo picky and not a big dessert guy so it's one of the few things he loves.  

I have a great recipe for cupcakes, has always turned out for me but I haven't tried it in cake form.  It's not a proper coconut cake though but it is delicious:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vanilla-Bean-Coconut-Cupcakes-with-Coconut-Frosting-352095

Works fine with quality vanilla extract as well if you don't have beans.

I use this as the base for my coconut cake: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/special-occasion-white-cake.  Often I'll use butter instead of the shortening. I don't soak it in coconut milk though. I make a vanilla custard filling and a 7 minute frosting and then cover it with coconut. That's how my grandfather's mother always made his favorite cake.

33 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

I use this as the base for my coconut cake: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/special-occasion-white-cake.  Often I'll use butter instead of the shortening. I don't soak it in coconut milk though. I make a vanilla custard filling and a 7 minute frosting and then cover it with coconut. That's how my grandfather's mother always made his favorite cake.

That's basically my cake recipe, except I use vanilla instead of the almond.  Making a note to use almond because that sounds better.

Hmmm I never made a coconut cake soaked in syrup or coconut milk. I know you don't want to expiriment to much right now but I wonder if a tres leches cake would work for a base? I am intrigued by your coconut cake!

ETA I just googled coconut tres leches cake and there were a few options. I don't know what yours is supposed to look like.

ETA again Happy Birthday to Buffy Boy!!!!!!

I've never heard of this. Is coconut cake a regional thing? It sounds delicious and I want to know more!

Later tonight we'll see how it comes out - my fingers are crossed.  Im blogging the whole meal while I'm at it - jäger schnitzel, rahmspinat, spätzle, rotkohl...and saurkraut and mushroom pierogi - that I'm not making from scratch. I did that once and it's way too much work when the Polish deli has a much better homemade version.

the lady there who makes them is in her 80's and she's gotten my family addicted to her cooking...i live in fear of her retirement.

waiting on Mr. Buffy to get home with the groceries so I can start the cake and trying not to get more aggravated by the moment since I as pretty naggy about not waiting so late to go to the store.  

And I'm making coconut ice with blood orange also and if he's running all over trying to find blood orange juice I won't be happy since I put on the list in huge letters thst if reg store doesn't have it just get strawberries.

but it would be like him to try "just one more store" and that's why he's taking all day.  I should have just left it off the list.  It's getting so late ts not going to be a 3 layer anymore and I'll have to improvise.  Ugh.

im just posting it for fun but it's giving me a greater appreciation of real food bloggers.  It's hard to get good pics of the processes.   @laPapessaGiovanna And @Cartmann99 are awesome at the food blogging thing.  I miss cartmann99 and hope she comes back.

I am going to have to google half that meal . . . sounds fascinating!

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

That looks awesome! I'm sure it tastes great. 

My cat liked it!  Pics of kitty enjoying it here...

A few years ago, Jeffery Steingarten wrote a funny article in Vogue about his quest for the ultimate coconut cake.

Sugar High: Baking the Perfect Coconut Cake

The recipe he used was Paul Prudhomme's.

This blog post has the printable recipe and a nice picture of all 6 layers

http://culturally-confused.blogspot.com/2014/01/jeffrey-steingarten-american-coconut.html

Jeffrey finally ordered a coconut cake from Peninsula Grill in Charleston, SC aka the Holy City aka Chucktown.  It weighed 12 pounds and cost $100 plus another $97 for overnight shipping.  It was utterly delicious!  Now the cakes are $130.

@HerNameIsBuffy, you cake looks scrumptious and more to my liking than the $130 cake from Peninsula Grill!

Alton Brown had a recipe for Coconut Cake and it looked yummy.  How  did yours taste?  We want to know.

Archived