IGNORED

Stanford swimmer convicted of rape only gets 6 months b/c it would have a severe impact on him,

Chowder Head

22 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

@samira_catlover, I think I would be glad my son got only six months in a county jail as opposed to prison. I would be freaking grateful for it.

This is a competitive sports parent. Not your average parent. Every great accomplishment  thier son has made has been more about them than thier kid. Look at me, look how great I am, my son is an elite athlete. They are ashamed thier son was so publicly punished, not that he raped a girl. They likely coverd up and downplayed his shit for years because it would be an embarrassment to them to admit thier son is not this great person after all these years. 

I know this because my kids play competitive soccer and I have sat on the sideline and listened to so much crap over the years. To add to that my husband is a coach who has produced athletes that get scholarships. The lengths parents will go to to have thier kid play on the top team is insane. I can tell you some shocking,horrifying, hilarious, and creepy stories. I don't talk about it in real life because I don't think people would be love me it sounds so crazy. He jokes with other coaches that one day they want to just coach orphans. The parents ruin it for everyone. Always.

I'd believe you. 

Sometimes I wish my parents had been at least a little more involved with the actual coaching/practicing. They were supportive in that they made sure I got to practice and games on time and took pictures. They weren't like my friends parents who actually had useful advice and encouragement to get better. Then there were the other parents who would yell at the refs and coaches which isn't beneficial to anyone. And this one guy I grew up with whose parents paid for grades so he could get a sports scholarship. He is now a football coach at a DIII school.  

• Upvote 1

I've coached soccer and my husband and sons were refs. I'd believe you.

• Upvote 1

I'd totally believe it.  Parents take that shit way too seriously sometimes.

The athletic association my brother and I were involved in as kids made the coaches (who were parents 99% of the time) ref/ump at least a couple of games every season.  That way they were forced to see it from the other side to help with them getting pissy with the officials.

Didn't stop the parents though.

• Upvote 1

I've coached competitive gymnastics for years. As I've aged, I have become one of the most sought after coaches for parents who want their kids to have the skills necessary (strength, flexibility) to become very good gymnasts while having fun and learning. 

Fortunately for me, most of these parents are Rec parents and don't want their kids to compete. That said, I have generally coached pre-comp boys and I have had the odd parent who wants their kid to be a champion. They usually end up hating me because I treat all of the kids fairly and their child isn't a special snowflake. That said, they initially LOVE me because their child gets soooo much better. 

Gymnastics is a tough one, because the parents are as bad as stage parents and I have listen to a Mom tear apart a 6 year olds HAIR at a competition. 

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, PsyD2013 said:

Brock had a reputation with the Stanford women's swim team.  http://nypost.com/2016/06/16/womens-swim-team-not-surprised-by-brock-turner-arrest/

I wrestled in University. When Standford says that they are free to do as they wish as private individuals, what that translates to is - yeah, as private individuals they can speak out and say what they want, but our student athletes aren't private individuals, they are University property (trust me on this one - our list of rules just got bigger and bigger) especially if they are on scolarship.

So yes, they could write a statement.

And then, they could become private individuals who no longer have the money to pay for school when their scholarship is revoked for breaching the Code of Conduct.

BTW - most schools have Codes of Conduct for their athletes. Usually being a drunk idiot is enough to get you kicked off the team based on the code, I would not be surprised if the only reason Brock hadn't been kicked off was his skill. 

• Upvote 4

well the tradition keeps on going this is even worse and he got even less punishment. I mean he can go to jail anytime he wants too.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/04/state-trooper-gets-just-6-months-for-raping-car-accident-victim.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

An Alabama state trooper accused of raping a car accident victim and forcing her to perform oral sex was sentenced to just six months in jail.

Samuel H. McHenry II, 36, pleaded guilty on Thursday to misdemeanor sexual misconduct under a deal with prosecutors. He originally faced charges of rape and sodomy for the December 2015 incident, but those were dismissed.

Under the agreement, the ex-trooper’s state certification will be revoked and he will be required to register as a sex offender, the Associated Press reported.

McHenry will also be permitted to serve his sentence “in increments at his own discretion,” WSFA reported. The 182 days must be served within the next year.

The Alabama Attorney General’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

“Both sides have to agree to it, so in that sense there was that discussion about is this acceptable to both sides,” Mcgowin Williamson, one of the attorneys who represented McHenry, told the Associated Press.

When reached by The Daily Beast on Thursday, Williamson wouldn’t comment on McHenry or the Internet’s outrage over his client's plea deal. 

The attorney said the victim and her attorney were present during the proceeding, indicating civil litigation may be forthcoming. 

“The normal thing is … this [deal] would not be done without the victim’s agreement and acquiescence,” Williamson told The Daily Beast. “As I wasn’t privy to those communications, I don’t know in this case, but normally that would happen.”

Williamson told the AP that prosecutors offered McHenry the plea deal. The agreement came after three hours of negotiations, according to Judge J. MacDonald Russell Jr., the AP reported.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JillyO said:

Brock Alan Turner, Stanford dumpster rapist, is set to be released on Friday after serving only 3 months of his already laughably short sentence. FUCK THIS SHIT!

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Brock-Turner-to-be-released-from-jail-Friday-due-9191098.php

The only good thing is that the infamous judge will jugde civil cases from now on, no more rape cases for him to mess up.

• Upvote 6

I am absolutely disgusted that he is being released early. To me, the people who should get early release from jail are those who comitt victimless crimes - ie. Drug Possession, Driving Infractions (driving without a license - NOT drunk driving), people who are in jail for failure to pay criminal fines or failure to pay their taxes (if the dollar amount is under a certain amount - rich guys who get caught in tax evasion need to serve the max to teach them a lesson), gambling offenses, prostitutes (not John's or Pimps - I believe that pimps and john's exploit  women living in poverty with addiction). Everyone else - gets to stay put (or be transfered to a less crowded facility) and serve their total sentence. 

• Upvote 7

So . . . he's been let out in time to return to school this fall? How nice for him to only have to give up his summer vacation and then be able to resume normal life. Too bad rape survivors don't have that option.

• Upvote 16

I too am angry about his release, but it was a given, based on the ridiculously short sentence. What really chaps my hide is information from this article about Judge Persky.

Spoiler

Quote from the article:

Dauber said Persky’s biased sentencing has a long history that she hopes voters will learn about.

“I think he clearly does not understand violence against women and sex crimes as serious crimes. He treats them like misdemeanors,” Dauber said.

“He seems to have a particular area of bias for collegiate athletes. I think the way this bias operates is he sees these offenders as promising kids who got drunk and made a terrible mistake, rather than as serious felony offenders who are dangerous.”

She said Turner is far from the only example, pointing to a 2015 case involving 21-year-old Ikaika Gunderson that in her opinion “might be worse.”

In February 2015, Gunderson confessed to police that he had choked and beat his ex-girlfriend. Three months later, he pleaded no contest to a felony count of domestic violence, which meant he faced up to four years in jail, BuzzFeed reported.

Normally, sentencing occurs within a month or two of the pleading, but Persky delayed the sentencing for more than a year so Gunderson could attend the University of Hawaii, where he had planned to play football. He also said he would reduce the felony charge to a misdemeanor if Gunderson attended weekly Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and completed a year-long domestic violence program.

In October — by which point Gunderson had dropped out of the University of Hawaii, stopped attending AA meetings and wasn’t participating in the domestic violence program — the young man was arrested again for domestic violence, this time in Washington state.

“There are so many problems with how this case was handled that I’m not even sure where to start,” retired Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge LaDoris Cordell told BuzzFeed. “The system is set up so that if someone has admitted a violent offense and is now a convicted felon, they should be closely monitored. You don’t just cross your fingers and hope everything is going to be fine. That’s not how the courts are supposed to work.”

I'm glad the judge isn't going to be hearing future rape cases, but he should be recalled. \

• Upvote 6

Brock Turner, Stanford Rapist, was released today. May the internet keep him in a personal hell for the rest of his life. 

• Upvote 5

Bock Turner, the Stanford dumpster rapist, was followed by the media as he was released today. & then at the airport. He even changed his shirt between getting released & appearing at airport.

Articles say he is going to live in Ohio with his parents. As a sex offender, can he go on any college campus? I hope not. He has to register in Ohio as s sex offender & notify his neighbors.  I'm all for shunning him severely since his jail sentence was a joke.

• Upvote 4

Honestly I'm surprised it has held people's attention this long. I think we are at a time where people are getting frustrated with rape culture, so hopefully this will be some kind of catalyst. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, meep said:

What's the liklihood that he will be known as "Brock, the dumpster rapist" even a year from now? Will people still care?

This guy should still be in jail, no question. It's offensive and revolting that he us not. But I do think he will forever be known as "Brock the Rapist." And that's in no small part to his victim having the amazing courage to stand up to him and seek prosecution and then stand up to the judge who failed her.  I hope that gives her some peace.

• Upvote 4

Brock Turner, the dumpster rapist, had to register as a level 3 sex offender today. As a level 3, he will have to re-register every 90 days, be photographed, and a deputy will pay a visit to his home. I didn't see anything about what would happen if he failed to comply or lied about his whereabouts.

• Upvote 3