IGNORED

Stanford swimmer convicted of rape only gets 6 months b/c it would have a severe impact on him,

Chowder Head

I have been so angry about this that I haven't known what to say. For me, the final straw was the tone-deaf line from the father:

Spoiler

“He will never be his happy go lucky self with that easy going personality and welcoming smile,”

That left me shaking, I was so upset. Cry me a river, dude. We're supposed to care that your brat is upset because he broke the law? The whole thing puts me in mind of Ethan Couch, another rich, spoiled, over-entitled white kid. I wish they could be cellmates, even for a day. They deserve each other.

• Upvote 20

This is utterly disgusting. He should have gotten the 6 years not 6 months. I hope they do not manage to overturn the sex offender designation or be allowed to compete in the Olympics.

• Upvote 7

FYI, people on my fb feed have been sharing this new meme of Brock's yearbook picture that says "Hi my name is Brock and I'm a rapist"

Also people are sharing his mugshot.

• Upvote 16

20 minutes ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

FYI, people on my fb feed have been sharing this new meme of Brock's yearbook picture that says "Hi my name is Brock and I'm a rapist"

Also people are sharing his mugshot.

Where can I find the mugshot? Do you have a link? Thanks!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TeaGrannie said:

This is utterly disgusting. He should have gotten the 6 years not 6 months. I hope they do not manage to overturn the sex offender designation or be allowed to compete in the Olympics.

He's not eligible for the Olympics. 

• Upvote 11

Look, folks, FWIW and YMMV (and probably does):  I sorta-kinda-have-learned-to-know-over-the-years a whole bunch of folk who are Very Definitely Not Nice To Know When They are Chemically or Otherwise Impaired.  THAT BEING SAID:

VIRTUALLY ALL of them play "Find your FOOT!" when stoned on marijuana, or they either fold up giggly or weepy when drunk, or maybe have to be kept from brawling when bombed or otherwise affected.  

I don't know anyone who wasn't raised by wolves (and my sincere apologies to lupines!) who DIDN'T need to be told that you don't sexually act out with anyone who is, uuuhhh, impaired---whether intellectually affected, whacked out of their minds by meds/drugs, or Whatever.

Booze and/or drug use/overuse by itself doesn't magically turn a sweet person into a sexual predator. Sociopathy or pure inborn ugliness does---a sheer lack of concern for others.

@TeaGrannie: Oh, but imagine the "color" coverage for any major sporting channels, Olympic coverage or not)?  "Here's Brock Allen Turner, the Stanford Dumpster Rapist, a convicted felony registered sex offender for YEARS and YEARS, who has somehow managed to OVERCOME his challenges and his demons (imagine! he can't even enjoy a nice rib-eye steak, and he's lost his happy go lucky self!)".

• Upvote 13

I reported the "Brock Turner for 2016 Olympics" page to Facebook for hate speech because it seriously made my stomach churn. So much victim blaming and minimizing of the crime.

Anyway other people must have been reporting en masse too because today I received a notification that the page has been removed. Hooray for small victories !

Edited by Seren Ann
clarifying
  • Upvote 22

I saw the articles all over my Facebook but I didn't read them because I didn't want to be triggered. Seeing them here in FJ, made me feel safe enough to read them. Brock Turner the dumpster rapist is a piece of shit. I am proud of this young woman for finding strength, writing that letter could not have easy. It's been twenty years since my attack and I don't think I could do it. I am going to Google tactic the fuck out of this lowlife. He will wish he had done more prison time.

• Upvote 12

I do believe that the survivor's fate might have been very different had those 2 heroes not come along. She mentioned in her speech that she cannot sleep when she thinks about what may have happened had those men not helped her. And I don't think she's off base at all. And that doesn't seem to have been factored into his sentencing at all. He didn't violate her and then stop and leave her. He was in the act of violating her when he was forcibly stopped. Who knows where he would've drawn the line? I think it could've easily ended up very differently. 

Edited by mstee
Tired.
  • Upvote 23

Okay so this whole thing throws me into the sort of rage coma where my hands become twitchy and I'm afraid I'm going to blow some blood vessels in my eyes. 

One of the worst parts to me? He's going to give lectures on drinking too much and promiscuity. PROMISCUITY? Promiscuity is having a lost year in college where you slept with some people whose Facebook profiles you look at now and cringe. Promiscuity is James Bond, Samantha Jones, and Russell Brand. Humping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster is not being promiscuous. It's assault. THERE WAS NO CONSENT!!! Why is this so hard for people to understand?

That word alone made me realize exactly what the father of Brock Allen Turner, Stanford Dumpster Rapist, thinks of the victim. She's some Mardi Gras bead wearing Girl Gone Wild who lured him in with her partying ways. She's trying to "ruin" his son.

"He will never be his happy go lucky self with that easy going personality and welcoming smile,”

Gee, considering as soon as he was free of his parents, Brock Allen Turner, Stanford Dumpster Rapist, purposefully preyed on drunk women and assaulted them, behind dumpsters, on the hard pavement, leaving genital trauma, and having to be run off like a rat by two men, maybe he never was such an easy going personality? Maybe the person you're seeing now is the real Brock Allen Turner, Stanford Dumpster Rapist. Something to think about pops. 

• Upvote 31

Wasn't trying to quote anyone: the computer is being Weirder Than Me, which is going quite some....

Is anyone else hoping for a whacking huge civil suit against the Stanford Dumpster Rapist, Brock Turner?  From the victim's statement, it sounds like a pretty good situation for PTSD. **waves pompoms and hopes for an eight-digit lawsuit--bring on the Rabid Weasel Lawyers!**

I'm also wondering if the rescuers (may all the dear Eternal Holy Beings give them thousands and thousands and thousands of blessings for their help and courage!) might be dealing with some "survival guilt" issues.

IIRC (can't deal with Google search right now, sorry, but vaguely remember seeing an article pickup): one of the guys who tackled Brock Turner, the Stanford Dumpster Rapist (or aggressive felony sex offender---pick your label) was so shook up that he wept while talking to the police.  Don't know if that strong and courageous man was upset thinking the victim might have been dead--because unmoving and unresponsive--or if he was horrified thinking "if I'd been up there only 5 minutes earlier...."

• Upvote 12

28 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

snip

I'm also wondering if the rescuers (may all the dear Eternal Holy Beings give them thousands and thousands and thousands of blessings for their help and courage!) might be dealing with some "survival guilt" issues.

IIRC (can't deal with Google search right now, sorry, but vaguely remember seeing an article pickup): one of the guys who tackled Brock Turner, the Stanford Dumpster Rapist (or aggressive felony sex offender---pick your label) was so shook up that he wept while talking to the police.

snip

I just read the police report.  Absolutely sickening.  You are correct about the man weeping.  The damage that Brock Turner, rapist did that night is far reaching.  

It sounds like Brock Turner, rapist, really doesn't understand that what he did was wrong. He sincerely thinks it's OK to wander around attempting to make out with strangers until you find someone that you can separate from the group and rape them. He is a predator to the core. He says that he didn't intend to rape without consent, but it's clear to me that he went looking for a woman who was unable to give it.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/1532973/complaint-brock-turner.pdf 

• Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, samira_catlover said:

Wasn't trying to quote anyone: the computer is being Weirder Than Me, which is going quite some....

Is anyone else hoping for a whacking huge civil suit against the Stanford Dumpster Rapist, Brock Turner?  From the victim's statement, it sounds like a pretty good situation for PTSD. **waves pompoms and hopes for an eight-digit lawsuit--bring on the Rabid Weasel Lawyers!**

IIRC (can't deal with Google search right now, sorry, but vaguely remember seeing an article pickup): one of the guys who tackled Brock Turner, the Stanford Dumpster Rapist (or aggressive felony sex offender---pick your label) was so shook up that he wept while talking to the police.  Don't know if that strong and courageous man was upset thinking the victim might have been dead--because unmoving and unresponsive--or if he was horrified thinking "if I'd been up there only 5 minutes earlier...."

I have also been wondering about the rescuers and how they are coping .  Because the if I was only 5 mins earlier had to come into there minds.

• Upvote 2

Even if this low life offender spends six months being sexually violated by every "Bubba" in the prison, he'll never fully understand what this woman he violated went through.  While his actions are deplorable, the greater fault lies with the parents and other supporting cast members of his life who allow him to think that he is entitled to whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and apparently however he wants.  Those people are society's failures and need to learn some hard life lessons as well.

• Upvote 19

13 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

@TeaGrannie: Oh, but imagine the "color" coverage for any major sporting channels, Olympic coverage or not)?  "Here's Brock Allen Turner, the Stanford Dumpster Rapist, a convicted felony registered sex offender for YEARS and YEARS, who has somehow managed to OVERCOME his challenges and his demons (imagine! he can't even enjoy a nice rib-eye steak, and he's lost his happy go lucky self!)".

I've no doubt they would certainly do it too. It would make me ill to hear it. Luckily I found out he's barred for life. Swimming association did a better job than the courts in my opinion.

Did anyone see this today? Poor guy wrongfully convicted and the girl admitted years later she LIED. He was imprisoned for years, tragic.

TRIGGER WARNING http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/wrongfully-convicted-brian-banks-disgusted-brock-turner-ruling-article-1.2663595

Edited by TeaGrannie
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Gee, considering as soon as he was free of his parents, Brock Allen Turner, Stanford Dumpster Rapist, purposefully preyed on drunk women and assaulted them, behind dumpsters, on the hard pavement, leaving genital trauma, and having to be run off like a rat by two men, maybe he never was such an easy going personality? Maybe the person you're seeing now is the real Brock Allen Turner, Stanford Dumpster Rapist. Something to think about pops

This! Yeah, it's not like we've never heard of any other similar situations like this, where people later say, "Oh, Jim next door? I can't believe he did that. He was always so nice and smiling and seemed kind."

Not to overstate things, and I'm not a psychiatrist (nor do I play one on TV), but isn't that one of the hallmarks of a sociopath or someone who is challenged in the empathy department? They exhibit a superficial charm, so people don't suspect them.

I'm not saying Brock Allen the Stanford Dumpster Rapist is a sociopath, but saying because he smiled and was easygoing and could enjoy a good steak (but can't anymore...boo fucking hoo) doesn't preclude the possibility of him also being a predator.

The quotation, "That one can smile, and smile, and be a villain" comes to mind.

And the two Swedish guys. Yeah, what heroes. These guys are from all accounts thoroughly decent guys who had a shit ton of human empathy when they saw this young lady being humped violently behind a dumpster (by Brock Turner the Stanford Dumpster Rapist), and it's only due to their actions that this guy was even prosecuted. He would otherwise have gotten away, and could have done worse to her.

I'm so happy to see this going viral. The survivor isn't getting the justice she deserved from the criminal justice system, but she will hopefully get a kind of justice if this guy isn't able to show his fucking face and go on his ridiculous "drinking and promiscuity and all that goes along with that" world tour. Fuck that noise.

• Upvote 20

5 hours ago, Nonyabznoch said:

I just read the police report.  Absolutely sickening.  You are correct about the man weeping.  The damage that Brock Turner, rapist did that night is far reaching.  

It sounds like Brock Turner, rapist, really doesn't understand that what he did was wrong. He sincerely thinks it's OK to wander around attempting to make out with strangers until you find someone that you can separate from the group and rape them. He is a predator to the core. He says that he didn't intend to rape without consent, but it's clear to me that he went looking for a woman who was unable to give it.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/1532973/complaint-brock-turner.pdf 

I agree with what you say. In regards to the bolded, I do want to point out something (I assume you already know this and you were using the words of Brock Allen Turner, Stanford Dumpster Rapist, but wanted to mention it anyway):

There is sex and there is rape. Giving consent means you have sex. Not getting consent means it's rape. There is no such thing as nonconsensual sex. It's either sex or its rape - no in between.

• Upvote 13

Exactly my thoughts @VelociRapture 

I thought it was such a an odd phrasing from Brock Turner, Stanford dumpster rapist.  It seems like, his mind it is only rape if it is monster narritive version. He doesn't seem to understand that rape is rape.

It seems like he thought he found a loophole by assaulting an unconscious person; since she didn't protest it wasn't rape.  And that is horrific and exactly the problem with "no means no."  She was unconscious, and even before she was unconscious she was slurring her words because of drinking (which is not an invitation to be raped no matter how drunk anyone gets). In both cases she was unable to give consent.  He took advantage of that fact and still doesn't see the problem with what he did, only the problems it has created in his life.  

She is nowhere in the picture as far as I can tell from his, his family, or friends' statements. Which speaks volumes about Brock Turner, Stanford dumpster rapist. 

• Upvote 6

Here in UK Sunderland and England footballer Adam Johnson got convicted of grooming and asaulting a fan from the age of 14 to 15. Many people blamed the girl because intially she agreed to meet him. He was in the position of power he told everyone she was lying and even had fans calling her a liar at games before he admitted it, he got 6 years. Sports stars often think they are untouchable and they should not get any special treatment 

• Upvote 5

Again: I think Brock Turner, the Stanford Dumpster Rapist (or felony aggressive convicted sex offender---pick your label) is a sub-human piece of shit.

FWIW: I know IRL people who are Very Seriously Rather Kinky (and some folk who are into Power Exchange Dynamics that I just *cannot* wrap my head around), but they all seem to understand silly little things like "consent", and "no means NO!", and "do not Play with Impaired People, because they can't give anything that looks like a valid consent".  

• Upvote 4

I'm not a violent person, but Brock Turner the Stanford Dumpster Rapist needs to be on the receiving end of some redneck justice.

OK, I have a very limited knowledge of exactly how the legal system works, but doesn't a judge make these sentencing decisions?   Why aren't people all over the judge in this case??  Maybe our degreed law professionals can explain if I'm off the mark here....