IGNORED

Leaving your child as bear food

MarblesMom

That's crazy! I can't believe two parents could think that is a just punishment.

I am all for wishing people into a cornfield (J/K) but .... to leave a child in danger..... no.

They still haven't found him. The search had to be suspended because of very heavy rains. Sounds like it's been pretty cold (59F) for a wet, lost 7 year old. It's so insanely cruel. I can't imagine how scared he is. :pb_sad:

On 5/31/2016 at 1:04 PM, MarblesMom said:

I am all for wishing people into a cornfield (J/K) but .... to leave a child in danger..... no.

Puzzled Aussie here. Why do you wish people into cornfields? 

Never heard that expression before.

This is a sad story... I hope the parents are held accountable.

Prayers for the child, who had no idea his rock throwing might cost him his life.  Cue the therapists, if he is found.

4 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

I always took the expression as one of "I am so done with you, I am wishing you into the cornfield."   Here is more info: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wish ___ into the cornfield

I never got the Aussie "flat out like a lizard drinking" so I guess we are in the same boat! 

Same language, weird sayings.  Me talk, now you talk.  Me listen.

I will say that the full version of the story (if it's true, since the parents originally lied because they were afraid to admit they left him intentionally) isn't quite as bad as "abandoned" and "left in the woods" makes it sound. 

They say they left him by the side of the road and drove off and then returned almost immediately.  They reports I've read sound like they were pretending to leave him behind and expected him to just be sitting stunned on the side of the road. 

It's absolutely not okay to leave a child by the side of the road.  And this poor boy probably paid for his parents mistake with his life.  I'm just saying in full context, I could see his parents thinking they would just come right back and not considering he would walk away so fast.  Again, I'm not advocating leaving kids behind and driving away.  I'm just saying that I can see frustrated parents making that kind of stupid mistake

@MarblesMom thanks for that.

"flat out like a lizard drinking" isn't something I'd ever use myself, but "flat out" can mean going as fast as you can (eg accelerator flat to the floor). And if you imagine how a lizard drinks - i.e. stretches themselves really flat to get their mouth into water, then "flat out" means stretched to your limit i.e. really busy.

Am I the only one that wonders how many rocks said boy could have thrown from inside the car? I mean ... lets say my child throws one rock out of my moving vehicle. I'd be like "What are you doing? Why do you have rocks in the car?" I would pull over and dispose of the remaining rocks - and continue on my way.

I do not believe the rock story, and the parents have lied before so there is reason to assume this is also fabricated. I'm with AmazonGrace on this one - I don't necessarily believe the boy was ever alive on the mountain.

19 hours ago, Blahblah said:

The Twilight Zone was such a great show. If there's any way to get DVDs of it, I highly recommend watching. A family favorite for us. Anyway, here's a recap of the cornfield episode: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Good_Life_(The_Twilight_Zone)

ETA: interesting theory about the boy not ever being alive on the mountain. I hope they figure it out. Poor kid.

10 hours ago, SummerRocks said:

Am I the only one that wonders how many rocks said boy could have thrown from inside the car? I mean ... lets say my child throws one rock out of my moving vehicle. I'd be like "What are you doing? Why do you have rocks in the car?" I would pull over and dispose of the remaining rocks - and continue on my way.

The child wasn't punished for throwing rocks from inside the car. He was punished for throwing rocks earlier that day. Supposedly they went to a river to play and he threw rocks and people and cars. 

10 hours ago, SummerRocks said:

I do not believe the rock story, and the parents have lied before so there is reason to assume this is also fabricated. I'm with AmazonGrace on this one - I don't necessarily believe the boy was ever alive on the mountain.

I don't know. 

I'm wondering if someone came along and picked him up. Or if the "we left him for just a few minutes" is a lie. Or a million other things. 

Just now, Maggie Mae said:

The child wasn't punished for throwing rocks from inside the car. He was punished for throwing rocks earlier that day. Supposedly they went to a river to play and he threw rocks and people and cars. 

Ok, I'm officially more confused if that is the case ... so the kid throws rocks at people and cars earlier in the day. A while after the rock throwing incidents the boy gets in a car with the parents. They drive a while and all of a sudden these parents decide to stop the car and teach him a lesson?! 

I read somewhere an older sister was present, I hope maybe she can shine some light on the truth. 

The dad has broken his silence, apparently, and says that with hindsight it was a terrible thing to do. Well, no shit Sherlock! *slaps forehead*

I'm so angry that the parents thought for even a minute that leaving that child there, no matter the time frame, was a suitable punishment. It seems very suspicious that they didn't tell the truth immediately about the circumstances surrounding his disappearance.  I am often baffled when parents or caretakers wait to report the child missing. EVERY MINUTE COUNTS. I once spoke to a woman at a park whose 3 year old she hadn't seen in 10 minutes!! I pulled out my phone to call 911, just as a stranger appeared, holding the little girl's hand. So much could have happened in 10 minutes.

I really hope this boy is found safe.

@Kailash, can I like this a million times eleventy?

Do some hobbyish reading in criminology/true crime (but am by no means an expert!), but to my very limited understanding, the disappearance of a child under the age of eight or so (absent possible parental abduction, but am working from memory) is totally terrifying.  IIRC, there are excellent odds that the missing minor child is in mortal deadly danger from the instant they go missing---and every minute does count in terms of finding the trail.

*Lights a candle and incense for the sake of ALL chldren people who got kidnapped/vanished, by whoever, whenever---may they keep secure and somehow find a safe way back to their homes.*  

**puts out lots of boxes of matches and incense and candles and other stuff for other folk who want them--and please feel free to add your own helping tools!** (nagging a bit here) @all: Spiritual bouquets, masses, berachas, blessings in WHATEVER tongue, good hopes, Pagan energy, great vibes, memorial flowers/toys/dolls, your fervent prayers to one/many loving God(s), whatever: send ANYTHING helpful, please!  I am trying to imagine the panic and horror of someone who has a loved one go missing---and at the same time, trying to suppress that thought because it's wayyyyyy awful.

One case that has haunted me for years after hearing about it: the "Boy in the Box" (Philadelphia, PA, 1957--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_in_the_Box_(Philadelphia)).  He was a victim of murderous child abuse (blunt trauma): but despite extensive investigations and a massive pamphlet campaign at the time (and lots of looking around for 50+ years), the investigators are no closer to getting a name for the poor kid, much less a perpetrator.

The grave is in a lovely part of the cemetery, but it was so sad to see the tombstone marked "America's Unknown Child"--with (estimated) date of death, and nothing really else---and some Matchbox cars and other grave-goods by it---stuff that might amuse a small child.

Peace unto him, and to Amy Billig, and to the many "disappeared ones" (desaparecidos: translate that into as many languages as needed!) in many lands, and goodness-knows-how-many unknown and unclaimed dead folk we have.

Personally, I think they killed him (either deliberately or through neglect) and made up this bizarre story to try to hide it.

Why would anyone do such a stupid thing.

I am guessing that either the kid is already dead and they know it, so they made up a stupid excuse, or that they did dump the kid, but they wanted him to die in a way that is technically out of their hands, like being eaten by a bear or kidnapped. Waiting so long to report their child missing is an instant red flag, nomatter what you did and how the hell youre going to explain what you were doing to CPS, you report your child missing straight away so they do not die.

These are truly wonderful news! I thought there wasn't any hope anymore, but I'm so glad that he is still alive. :my_smile:

Thanks for sharing Bethella. Did not expect this! I am very relieved to hear that he is found alive 

I'm really glad he's alive and well. Pretty amazing considering how long he was out there. I hope his parents rethink their disciplinary measures for the future.

I'm happy he's alive but please don't tell me his terrible parents were given full custody with nothing

Archived