IGNORED

Tedious, Complicated, and Particular: Erika Shupe, Part 8

FundieFarmer

16 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I wonder if Erika is having her girls CLEP out of classes so they can get their degree faster. I can see her doing that particularly for classes that might involve "weird notions."

weird notions? Like stacking kids like cordwood in teeny tiny bedrooms? Or limiting kids reading time? Or teenaged sisters attending to 3 am feedings while baby's father sleeps?

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

weird notions? Like stacking kids like cordwood in teeny tiny bedrooms? Or limiting kids reading time? Or teenaged sisters attending to 3 am feedings while baby's father sleeps?

*chuckle* Those aren't weird notions! We're talking about scientifically unproven things like evolution, global overpopulation (or, failing overpopulation, the fact that we all need to work together to care for the planet), the non-necessity of having eleventy children and poorly educating them, that women can work outside the home AND have children who aren't drug dealers, etc. 

You know, things Erika would find strange but that others take as...normal.

Oh and that not everyone is as obsessed with the crotch area as Erika is. 

8 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

*chuckle* Those aren't weird notions! We're talking about scientifically unproven things like evolution, global overpopulation (or, failing overpopulation, the fact that we all need to work together to care for the planet), the non-necessity of having eleventy children and poorly educating them, that women can work outside the home AND have children who aren't drug dealers, etc. 

You know, things Erika would find strange but that others take as...normal.

Oh and that not everyone is as obsessed with the crotch area as Erika is

Excuse me, I think you mean FRONT BOTTOM.

4 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

Excuse me, I think you mean FRONT BOTTOM.

:pb_lol:

OOH a conundrum. 

Is it only crotch on adults? When does it cease to be a "front bottom" and become a crotch?

Should we ask Erika and watch her virtually tear out her whisps as she gets existential with her craziness?

23 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Erika just posted a picture of a psychology textbook, stating that both of the oldest girls are reading from it. Its a textbook commonly used in Psych 101 classes in colleges across the country. I wonder if Karen is taking classes online, or if they just bought the book out of pure interest? Either way, its a college-level textbook that likely deals with matters of sexual orientation (and sexuality, in general) in a very secular manner. I wonder if Erika censors the textbooks before she gives them to the girls, or if their minds are being filled with this secular "propaganda"? :pearlclutching:

I wondered the same thing and searched for the book online. Chapter 10 is called "Gender and Sexuality" and clearly addresses the social construct of gender identity, oppressive gender stereotypes and sexism, the range of sexual practice, homosexuality, sexual dysfunction, etc. Even my fairly progressive Catholic parents would never have let me read this stuff as a teenager. 

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

:pb_lol:

OOH a conundrum. 

Is it only crotch on adults? When does it cease to be a "front bottom" and become a crotch?

Should we ask Erika and watch her virtually tear out her whisps as she gets existential with her craziness?

Well, in that potty training post she said "point his front bottom down" which implies little boy penis. It's one of the weirdest things she's ever written, and that's saying something.

40 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Well, in that potty training post she said "point his front bottom down" which implies little boy penis. It's one of the weirdest things she's ever written, and that's saying something.

Specifically, she says he has to point the front of his bottom down with one finger. I don't know if she was making sure to avoid excessive sinful touching of the font bottom, or if she was just being her regular control freak self.

9 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

Specifically, she says he has to point the front of his bottom down with one finger. I don't know if she was making sure to avoid excessive sinful touching of the font bottom, or if she was just being her regular control freak self.

Yes, re reading the post its actually the kid who has to do it. For a while I thought it was... ahem... Yeah. Even Erika isn't that weird. Although i wouldn't put it past her. Maybe she had to do so at the beginning.

7 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I wonder if Erika is having her girls CLEP out of classes so they can get their degree faster. I can see her doing that particularly for classes that might involve "weird notions."

In Washington State, there is a program called Running Start available to homeschooled high schoolers. They can get their high school diploma at the same time as their associate's by attending a local community college, and then they only need to pay for around two years of college to recieve a full bachelor's degree. Maybe Erika is taking advantage of this. Renee Bergeron has written about it on her blog recently.

13 minutes ago, 16strong said:

In Washington State, there is a program called Running Start available to homeschooled high schoolers. They can get their high school diploma at the same time as their associate's by attending a local community college, and then they only need to pay for around two years of college to recieve a full bachelor's degree. Maybe Erika is taking advantage of this. Renee Bergeron has written about it on her blog recently.

Erika is against college, though, for all the usual fundie reasons. So maybe she'll only let them get an associate's. 

We don't even know if they are doing any kind of college course- maybe they just expressed an interest in psychology and Erika let them get a textbook. 

Interesting choice of subject for fundie daughters, though. 

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

We don't even know if they are doing any kind of college course- maybe they just expressed an interest in psychology and Erika let them get a textbook. 

I guess any exposure to outside thinking is still a good thing. Hopefully this news plus other recent items means that she's letting the kids have a little freedom. 

2 hours ago, 16strong said:

That's an interesting idea. I got the feeling that Erika was only interested in her daughters getting an associates- Karen for cosmetology and Melanie for art- the latter, however, may get the opportunity for a 4 year degree. 

I can just picture Erika telling Karen and Melanie "Don't read Chapter 10!" Which of course means they will. I couldn't have planned it better myself with an actual gay agenda.

On June 24, 2016 at 11:49 PM, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

I redid my kitchen in 2011 and the microwave went from the counter to built-in over the stove.  The space was definitely needed since I have a small galley kitchen.  But alas, I could only manage white appliances.  Stainless was outrageously priced then, and it just being me, that's all I could afford.  I think it looks great and not dated (at least to me).

This is the exact same year I redid my kitchen--and in the exact same way! I went with white appliances, and the microwave/range hood cost something like $139. I didn't go with stainless steel and granite because it wouldn't give me any return on investment in this neighborhood (and besides, I prefer the old-fashioned look of white appliances).

2 hours ago, princessmahina said:

That's an interesting idea. I got the feeling that Erika was only interested in her daughters getting an associates- Karen for cosmetology and Melanie for art- the latter, however, may get the opportunity for a 4 year degree. 

There's a community college within reasonable commute distance for them with a cosmetology program.

4 hours ago, 16strong said:

1 hour ago, lawlifelgbt said:

I can just picture Erika telling Karen and Melanie "Don't read Chapter 10!" Which of course means they will. I couldn't have planned it better myself with an actual gay agenda.

I could see Erika going through Chapter 10 with a sharpie and redacting all the bits she thinks are "unwholesome."

Or maybe she won't look too closely and they'll both get an eye (and brain) full of interesting new concepts... 

Well, Erika does worship the Maxwells. And the Maxwells marked out entire pages of text and pictures in books because of a thousand reasons (dress, gender roles, fantasy/fairy tale, anything suggesting happiness as a goal (i.e. "Merrily merrily merrily merrily. Life is but a dream")). My guess is that Chapter 10, if the book is theirs, was exacto-knifed out of there PDQ. 

6 hours ago, 16strong said:

That's true. It's not open to homeschoolers though. Technically the student needs to be enrolled in a public school and then the school sends them. The student does not ever have to attend a class in the school, and can be a student in name only, but they do need to be enrolled. 

1 hour ago, Shiny said:

That's true. It's not open to homeschoolers though. Technically the student needs to be enrolled in a public school and then the school sends them. The student does not ever have to attend a class in the school, and can be a student in name only, but they do need to be enrolled. 

Lots of homeschool use this option though, in fact every one I know who is in running start home schooled until they started in the program and sent went straight to community college. That could be because I know more homeschoolers, but still, it's a very popular option for homeschoolers. None that I know took any classes st the high school, though I do know a couple who played sports with the high school. 

As die hard as Erica is about homeschooling I doubt she would use running start. But maybe the free higher education will win out. 

New family photo posted. It's not bad. They seem to like to pose in patriotic colors, which always seems strange to me. Karen and Melanie are in the middle- run, Shupe girls, run! 

7 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

New family photo posted. It's not bad. They seem to like to pose in patriotic colors, which always seems strange to me. Karen and Melanie are in the middle- run, Shupe girls, run! 

And both Karen and Melanie are wearing pants!

It's so refreshing to see some Shupe girls in pants! And no excuses like oh well it's only because they were exercising...or a skirt over top of the pants...nope! Just pants! Give 'em hell Karen and Melanie!

I had totally missed they were in pants. Wow, Erika! I guess she's decided some things aren't worth her while. 

1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

I had totally missed they were in pants. Wow, Erika! I guess she's decided some things aren't worth her while. 

I wonder if it relates to the great blog purge a few months ago. There are still a few references here and there about transitioning to skirts only but the post about modesty and skirts is still gone. Maybe she has eased up about a few things and is trying to cover her tracks. 

At first I thought that Karen and Melanie's pants in the playground pictures were a special case, perhaps for outdoor exercise only. But the fact that she has taken staged family photos with them wearing pants is pretty huge, considering the big hullabaloo she made in the past about drawing men's attention to crotches and whatnot. Good for them for choosing flexibility over rigid legalism. 

1 hour ago, wikinggirl said:

And both Karen and Melanie are wearing pants!

Wow, they definitely are! There's more photos in the same set that show them wearing pants, too. The girls look happy and the new outfits are nice (normal looking but still "modest" as I'm guessing is still somewhat important to the family). 

I hope this is a sign they're easing up on their rules. If so, good for them -- I hope it makes things better for the whole family. 

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived