IGNORED

Tedious, Complicated, and Particular: Erika Shupe, Part 8

FundieFarmer

This thread's title was drawn from @elliha's description of Erika's wildly unnecessary potty training method! Now remember. You can use this thread from 10:45-11:26am on Tuesdays and from 1:00-:1:48pm on Fridays. Not a minute more or less! ;)

Continuing on from here: 

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recent activity: the Shupes have been taking advantage of their local high school tennis courts to play, err, tennis. The girls are naturally in skirts, with what looks like denim ones for Anna Marie and Melanie. Erika also recently linked to something but Ann Voskamp, who does the "aholyexperience" blog. Posts on this blog are basically a huge load of pictures with the general message "life may be hard, but believing in Jesus makes it all worthwhile." They're even more predictable than Maxwell posts FFS.

Ann Voskamp: Pray to Jesus and be thankful. The end. Somehow this *always* seems like new and enlightening info to Erika and Co. 

25 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Recent activity: the Shupes have been taking advantage of their local high school tennis courts to play, err, tennis. The girls are naturally in skirts, with what looks like denim ones for Anna Marie and Melanie.

Public schools are bad until you find some personal utility in them! At least they're out of the house getting some exercise and fresh air?

Part of Erikas bio seems rewritten on the blog too but I can't put my finger on what changed exactly and am too lazy to look it up in an archive site.  She's been doing so much pruning. Still any ideas why?

2 hours ago, December said:

Public schools are bad until you find some personal utility in them! At least they're out of the house getting some exercise and fresh air?

Part of Erikas bio seems rewritten on the blog too but I can't put my finger on what changed exactly and am too lazy to look it up in an archive site.  She's been doing so much pruning. Still any ideas why?

Her bio was definitely rewritten and pruned of any Jesus or God talk. Her reasons why aren't clear at the moment. There were many ideas thrown around in the previous thread, but change is happening. I kind of think (hope?) that it may be a relaxation of their fundie practices. Allowing Karen an outside job at a gym seems like a sign towards that. Definitely not Maxwellian (though they're probably one of the furthest down the fundie spectrum). 

I think she's just updating and reposting old stuff for the newer group of readers. If they don't know it's been done before, it's new to them. 

Regarding her potty training in a day, there's no way I'd want to be sequestered in a bathroom for 6hrs.

7 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Her bio was definitely rewritten and pruned of any Jesus or God talk. 

Fortunately it kept my favorite part, referring to her husband as the "blog technician." They're using Blogger... what technical help could be needed?! Ladies of FJ, you can all be your own blog technicians!

Also, that potty training post... :pb_eek: Not to mention, did she really need to put their pictures up? Oversharing at best.

On May 25, 2016 at 0:37 PM, Eternalbluepearl said:

Ann Voskamp: Pray to Jesus and be thankful. The end. Somehow this *always* seems like new and enlightening info to Erika and Co. 

Ann Voskamp always sounds like she's orgasming for Jesus. I can't figure her out but every post sounds so breathy and like she's two seconds from climax...because of God's saving grace, y'all.

Then again, she's literally said this in one of her books: "I fly to Paris and discover how to make love to God." (One Thousand Gifts, pg. 201)

And also this...slightly creepy gem: "God makes love with grace upon grace, every moment a making of His love for us. And He invites the turning over of the hand, the opening and saying Yes with thanks. Then God lays down all of His fullness into all the emptiness. I am in Him. He is in me. I embrace God in the moment. I give Him thanks, and I bless God and we meet and couldn't I make love to God, making every moment love for Him? To know Him the way Adam knew Eve. Spirit skin to spirit skin." (One Thousand Gifts, pgs. 216-217)

12 hours ago, December said:

Fortunately it kept my favorite part, referring to her husband as the "blog technician." They're using Blogger... what technical help could be needed?! Ladies of FJ, you can all be your own blog technicians!

Maybe Blogspot Blog Technician or similar for post count title? Or something else to work in Erika's grandiose LinkedIn profile? @happy atheist

What she really needs is a proofreader/editor.

4 hours ago, slickcat79 said:

Maybe Blogspot Blog Technician or similar for post count title? Or something else to work in Erika's grandiose LinkedIn profile? @happy atheist

What she really needs is a proofreader/editor.

I'd actually been thinking of using it! And yes, it would really build up her LinkedIn profile even more... I'd love to see her apply to some tech job and cite "Blogspot Blog Technician" as previous experience! 

And she does list an editor... her husband. :pb_eek: He's not supposed to have much to do with their homeschooling, right? 

4 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

Ann Voskamp always sounds like she's orgasming for Jesus. I can't figure her out but every post sounds so breathy and like she's two seconds from climax...because of God's saving grace, y'all.

Then again, she's literally said this in one of her books: "I fly to Paris and discover how to make love to God." (One Thousand Gifts, pg. 201)

And also this...slightly creepy gem: "God makes love with grace upon grace, every moment a making of His love for us. And He invites the turning over of the hand, the opening and saying Yes with thanks. Then God lays down all of His fullness into all the emptiness. I am in Him. He is in me. I embrace God in the moment. I give Him thanks, and I bless God and we meet and couldn't I make love to God, making every moment love for Him? To know Him the way Adam knew Eve. Spirit skin to spirit skin." (One Thousand Gifts, pgs. 216-217)

:shock: I keep starting to write a response to this, but then I keep deleting what I wrote because I just...I don't know WHAT to say to this. :pb_confused:

To know God the way Adam knew Eve? Spirit skin to spirit skin? :puke-front:

9 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

This sounds like a trashy romance, fundie-style. A frumper ripper, if you will.

OMG, I hate Voskamp and her overwrought writing. I want to yell, "Just shut up already" whenever I read her stuff. She is very popular in my homeschooling/Christian circles. Voskamp doesn't seem like Erika's style at all... I'm surprised she would repost anything of hers!

12 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

I'm defrauded for sure. that is some raunchy shit.

13 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

I need a cigarette!  :obscene-smokingred:

12 hours ago, Loveday said:

:shock: I keep starting to write a response to this, but then I keep deleting what I wrote because I just...I don't know WHAT to say to this. :pb_confused:

Maybe she's a fan of St Teresa of Avila.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecstasy_of_Saint_Teresa

I saw in his hand a long spear of gold, and at the iron's point there seemed to be a little fire. He appeared to me to be thrusting it at times into my heart, and to pierce my very entrails; when he drew it out, he seemed to draw them out also, and to leave me all on fire with a great love of God. The pain was so great, that it made me moan; and yet so surpassing was the sweetness of this excessive pain, that I could not wish to be rid of it. The soul is satisfied now with nothing less than God. The pain is not bodily, but spiritual; though the body has its share in it. It is a caressing of love so sweet which now takes place between the soul and God, that I pray God of His goodness to make him experience it who may think that I am lying.

Seeing the statue in person was, uh, interesting.  

91b5bbb54118b058375e900c731b4128.jpg

Ah, the statue of St. Teresa! Santa Maria della Vittoria was a stop on my super nerdy self-guided "Angels and Demons" tour of Rome. :pb_biggrin:

6 hours ago, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

Maybe she's a fan of St Teresa of Avila.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecstasy_of_Saint_Teresa

I saw in his hand a long spear of gold, and at the iron's point there seemed to be a little fire. He appeared to me to be thrusting it at times into my heart, and to pierce my very entrails; when he drew it out, he seemed to draw them out also, and to leave me all on fire with a great love of God. The pain was so great, that it made me moan; and yet so surpassing was the sweetness of this excessive pain, that I could not wish to be rid of it. The soul is satisfied now with nothing less than God. The pain is not bodily, but spiritual; though the body has its share in it. It is a caressing of love so sweet which now takes place between the soul and God, that I pray God of His goodness to make him experience it who may think that I am lying.

Seeing the statue in person was, uh, interesting.  

91b5bbb54118b058375e900c731b4128.jpg

Welp. I've seen photos of the statue, but I don't think I've ever read about her actual 'ecstasy' before. I'm even more speechless now.:my_sick:

23 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

What. I would remove the "slightly" from your description of this. 

New repost about laundry. Apparently it's "die" that fades from clothes. Apart from that, same old same old. 

Snore.

3 hours ago, libriatrix said:

What. I would remove the "slightly" from your description of this. 

I was conflicted...I couldn't tell if maybe some here were into that?? I don't even know. It is...odd. So many people quote her normal quotes on FB and all I can think about is those two quotes and it makes me >> :| 

"When our boys' night time Pull-Ups leak, they're then sleeping in wet pj's for hours until morning.  This has resulted in really stinky pj's, even after they've been washed!"

From her latest laundry post.

Uhhhh...I don't have kids, but I'd strongly consider switching to another brand after the first on leaked and definitely after the second time! She makes it sound like it's a regular thing.

To get rid of the smell, she runs one load of laundry 3 or 4 times. 

"I put those items into the washing machine together, fill the detergent dispenser with my regular detergent like usual, and fill the fabric softener container/cup with vinegar, the same amount that I would normally fill it with fabric softener.  I run the wash load this way once or twice - two full cycles, refilling the detergent and softener cups with vinegar again.  Then I run those same items through again a third time with detergent and fabric softener this time so that they smell nice.  *ta-da!*  Sweet smelling pj's again!  (or towels that were smelling sour!)  *Aaah...*"

I can't believe she's wasting water like that! 

On 5/26/2016 at 0:36 PM, FundieFarmer said:

I think I need to lay down and smoke a cigarette after reading that. :pb_eek:

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived