IGNORED

Any articles/resources on Tradition Family Property?

Cleopatra7

Does anyone have any articles or other resources to share on the Catholic fundie group Tradition Family Property (TFP)? From what I've been able to gather, it's a quasi-fascist organization that began in Brazil but has spread to other countries, where their members fight against the "false values" of the French Revolution. It seems to be strongest in Latin America, but the American branch seems to be very active in protesting same-sex marriage in particular. However, I haven't been able to find much critical commentary on TFP, aside from oblique accounts from conservative and traditionalist Catholics who have soured on it or have become suspicious. Since conservative and traditionalist Catholics are obsessed about "creating scandal"  (i.e., not wanting to make their particular vision of Catholicism look bad to outsider), I'm not surprised that their critiques on TFP are purposely vague. I do know that TFP has a boys' school that criminally underpays its staff, is unaccredited, and seems to spend most of its budget ferrying the students around to anti-same sex marriage protests, all of which are lawsuits waiting to happen:

http://www.slowlyboiledfrog.com/2014/11/the-strange-cult-of-tfp-student-action.html

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Does anyone have any articles or other resources to share on the Catholic fundie group Tradition Family Property (TFP)? From what I've been able to gather, it's a quasi-fascist organization that began in Brazil but has spread to other countries, where their members fight against the "false values" of the French Revolution. It seems to be strongest in Latin America, but the American branch seems to be very active in protesting same-sex marriage in particular. However, I haven't been able to find much critical commentary on TFP, aside from oblique accounts from conservative and traditionalist Catholics who have soured on it or have become suspicious. Since conservative and traditionalist Catholics are obsessed about "creating scandal"  (i.e., not wanting to make their particular vision of Catholicism look bad to outsider), I'm not surprised that their critiques on TFP are purposely vague. I do know that TFP has a boys' school that criminally underpays its staff, is unaccredited, and seems to spend most of its budget ferrying the students around to anti-same sex marriage protests, all of which are lawsuits waiting to happen:

http://www.slowlyboiledfrog.com/2014/11/the-strange-cult-of-tfp-student-action.html

I've seen their videos linked from time to time, and I'm so used to seeing them referred to as "The Red-Caped Catholic Loons," I didn't remember what they called themselves. I think all the info I've seen comes from their own YouTube channel so it's not much help. I thought they were a much more loosely-organized youth group that got together to pester people at events where they weren't wanted. The fact that they have a school is scary.

On 5/24/2016 at 4:30 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

it's a quasi-fascist organization that began in Brazil but has spread to other countries, where their members fight against the "false values" of the French Revolution

A little late for that, isn't it? :pb_lol: 

Never heard of them before, but it sounds like a group that shouldn't be running a school. 

20 minutes ago, December said:

A little late for that, isn't it? :pb_lol: 

Never heard of them before, but it sounds like a group that shouldn't be running a school. 

Catholic traditionalists are obsessed with the French Revolution, because they regard it as the date when Western civilization went downhill (that and the Reformation, of course). Pre-revolutionary France gave the Catholic Church lot of privileges that were later stripped during and after 1789. France is still known as "the Eldest Daughter of the Church" because the French kings were traditionally strong defenders of Catholicism and the pope, both of which were compromised when the French Church lost its privileges. Throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the French Church and the secular French government were often engaged in knockdown dragout fights over everything, because the former refused to accept a secular republic and its values. The anti-religiou sentiment seen in a publication like Charlie Hebdo stems from these religious fights, as well as a long history of French anticlericalism that has no analogue in the Anglophone world. If you remember, we used to have a traditionalist member named Ave Maria who claimed that she favored a monarchy before she flounced. Such sentiments are quite common in traditionalist circles, who believe that liberal democracies put issues up for a vote that should never even be up for discussion, like abortion or same sex marriage. 

Archived