IGNORED

JosieDenise, a (former?) mommy blogger

Dark Matters

throws a hatchet at fellow mommy bloggers: http://josidenise.com/dear-mommy-blogger/

"Let me preface with a few important things. I am was a mommy blogger. I have three kids, and I’m popping out another one this fall. I have a background in marketing and had “real jobs” in the “real world” working with PR teams on the daily. I started this blog in 2013, thinking I could combine my writing talents with professional experience and rock this new industry of influencer marketing (before it was called that). And I did, I guess."

"

And yet here we are. So there’s my “I’ve been there” argument. Now for fuck’s sake, please listen to me and understand that I mean this in the most loving and well-intentioned manner:

Your mommy blog fucking sucks.

//nobody is reading your shit

I mean no one. Even the people you think are reading your shit? They aren’t really reading it. The other mommy bloggers sure as hell aren’t reading it. They are scanning it for keywords that they can use in the comments. “So cute! Yum! I have to try this!” They’ve been told, like you, that in order to grow your brand, you must read and comment on other similar-sized and similar-themed blogs. The people clicking on it from Pinterest aren’t reading it. They are looking for your recipe, or helpful tip promised in the clickbait, or before and after photo, then they might re-pin the image, then they are done. The people sharing it on Facebook? They aren’t reading it either. They just want to say whatever it is your headline says, but can’t find the words themselves. Your family? Nope. They are checking to make sure they don’t have double chins in the photos you post of them, and zoning in on paragraphs where their names are mentioned."

And then, her follow-up post addressing the pushback:  http://josidenise.com/women-who-deserve-sexism/

I don't get the impression she is specifically a Christian blogger since, just based on the few posts I've read on her blog so far, she doesn't push religion but you never know.

Wow, that was interesting. A world I really never knew existed.  I've often wondered how there can be So Many blogs, that all seem so unoriginal and frankly, badly-written, but have sponsored content? And seem to make money?! 

In the 60s, they had to hire one or two Peggy Olsens and pay her peanuts.  Today, they recruit thousands and charge them for the privilege of being "a voice in their community" in the hope that one or two of them turn out to be a freebie Peggy Olsen.

I had no idea about any of this. I did wonder how the mommy blogging thing got started, very few of them are interesting and a lot of themseem to be hawking stuff left right and centre. Having read her two posts it all seems like a big scam where women are creating articles for free in the hope of being given sponsorship and free stuff.

Yeah, they all say basically the same thing, it's really quite odd.

Unless they're in the "humiliate my disabled child on the internet" business, and then they're all uniquely awful.

I kinda knew it existed, I follow a holiday company on Facebook and became aware through their page that they 'encourage' bloggers to post about their holidays. They even have a blog of their own and their own special bloggers network.

I also went through a phase of entering competitions online, nothing taxing but just entering my details into hundreds of websites (I had a separate email address for it as it led to a lot of emails). So I understand the concept of giveaways that don't result in genuine fans.

Archived