IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 16

samurai_sarah

40 minutes ago, anne.stults said:

I'm no expert on "training" a child, but maybe you need to start it now.   I'm sure the Pearls would say it's never too soon to show that baby who the boss is and to make baby submit to your will.  Maybe they have a rod to use while you are pregnant that will only "train" the baby and not cause any harm to you.

Normally I wouldn't find this as funny as I just did. But I spent over six hours in the ER last night for extreme nausea and vomiting - so this made me crack up. I definitely had a few not so nice things to think about Velocibaby in the midst of my suffering.

And now I'm sipping lemonade iced tea and snacking on pickles. Because that's what I can stomach. The pickles are the one and only thing I will ever thank the Duggars for - they're REALLY good at curbing my nausea. :pb_lol:

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, paulypepper said:

Just glancing at this pic, it kind of seems like a still from a Quentin Tarantino or Robert Rodriguez film. :pb_lol:

What's with the fingers up in Izzy's neck? This is not a dog that you come up to and 'skritch' (to quote Charles Schultz)

It looks like someone is tickling Izzy's chin.  It's the classic "coo-chee-coo" gesture for babies.  (It's not scratching the neck.)

@VelociRapture

My Mum had to deal with that during the whole pregnancy. (One of the reasons why I am a single child. It really must be horrible.) Hope it stops soon! She ate watermelon and sauerkraut. And though she lost lots of weight I was fine the entire time. 

I hope your husband is better than my Dad though. They went to a restaurant while she was pregnant and while she could not keep down anything at all he sat beside her and told her about all of his glorious food and how good it tastes. Now 25 years later she is still mad at him for doing that and mentions it every now and then. ;-) I have my Autism from him, so he had no idea that it was not the best thing to do... 

1 hour ago, anne.stults said:

I'm no expert on "training" a child, but maybe you need to start it now.   I'm sure the Pearls would say it's never too soon to show that baby who the boss is and to make baby submit to your will.  Maybe they have a rod to use while you are pregnant that will only "train" the baby and not cause any harm to you.

And if it does cause harm to the mother, well women are here to bring forth children in pain. It would be even holier if the pain started well before labor. It's not like a hurting a real, male person. 

3 hours ago, friendofgreen said:

so i know the rumors have been out there forever but is jill preggers? did i miss that?

and congrats @VelociRapture

If she is pregnant, they might be waiting to announce it because of their location. Going home would be the best bet for Jill if she is, given how disastrous her first labor was.

3 hours ago, Snarkylark said:

Are they coming home for good in June? To me, it seemed like they planned to stay there for the long haul, not just a one year gig. 

Maybe they planned to be there for the long haul but then Zika came and fucked up their childbearing plans. Since they absolutely can't use birth control, and because Jill needs to be joyfully available at every moment of the day, I can see why they would pack up and head home now.

52 minutes ago, Gobbles said:

@VelociRapture

My Mum had to deal with that during the whole pregnancy. (One of the reasons why I am a single child. It really must be horrible.) Hope it stops soon! She ate watermelon and sauerkraut. And though she lost lots of weight I was fine the entire time. 

I hope your husband is better than my Dad though. They went to a restaurant while she was pregnant and while she could not keep down anything at all he sat beside her and told her about all of his glorious food and how good it tastes. Now 25 years later she is still mad at him for doing that and mentions it every now and then. ;-) I have my Autism from him, so he had no idea that it was not the best thing to do... 

Lol!!! Your poor mom! Your dad sounded like he probably meant well though. Maybe he thought conversation would help distract her? And yeah, I kept telling husband I was one and done last night. He didn't like that very much. We'll have to see how the rest of this pregnancy goes.

Hubby is fantastic. He drove me there, made himself a dinner from the vending machine (chips and a giant Kit Kat), helped answer questions for me, and barely complained. Then he got up after only 3 or 4 hours of sleep, took care of our dog, and went to work.

I picked me a winner! :pb_biggrin:

@VelociRapture. Glad you are pregnant and sympathize with the nausea, Do you have what Kate Middleton had, I can't think of the name, but she had to go to the hospital as we all heard. This will be a healthy baby and I guess we should start a pickle fund for you.

Hope it stops after the three month mark...

10 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Lol!!! Your poor mom! Your dad sounded like he probably meant well though. Maybe he thought conversation would help distract her? And yeah, I kept telling husband I was one and done last night. He didn't like that very much. We'll have to see how the rest of this pregnancy goes.

Hubby is fantastic. He drove me there, made himself a dinner from the vending machine (chips and a giant Kit Kat), helped answer questions for me, and barely complained. Then he got up after only 3 or 4 hours of sleep, took care of our dog, and went to work.

I picked me a winner! :pb_biggrin:

Every pregnancy is different. My first I was terribly ill, as befits a Daughter of Eve, :) 

The other two, nothing much. And the first was a healthy 7 lb.,4 oz. girl. And I was 15 pounds thinner than when I was first pregnant. And quite full of my skinny self, forgive me I was young and vain!

Almost forgot, your husband sounds fantastic! Lucky you.

9 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

@VelociRapture. Glad you are pregnant and sympathize with the nausea, Do you have what Kate Middleton had, I can't think of the name, but she had to go to the hospital as we all heard. This will be a healthy baby and I guess we should start a pickle fund for you.

Hope it stops after the three month mark...

Hyperemesis Gravidarium. Luckily I don't have that. Not sure what the qualifications would be. I got sick five times Wednesday and over fifteen times yesterday. I think they only give that diagnosis if you're seriously dehydrated from all the vomiting and unable to keep any food down - which I wasn't seriously in trouble there. My urine had indicators that my body was in early starvation mode, but luckily that was the only test that came back with a small red flag.

I seriously sympathize with Duchess Catherine and anyone who has experienced Hyperemesis Gravidarium though. I was completely miserable yesterday - I can barely imagine how bad someone diagnosed with it must feel!

9 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Every pregnancy is different. My first I was terribly ill, as befits a Daughter of Eve, :) 

The other two, nothing much. And the first was a healthy 7 lb.,4 oz. girl. And I was 15 pounds thinner than when I was first pregnant. And quite full of my skinny self, forgive me I was young and vain!

Aw thanks! He's a real sweetie. His parents did an excellent job raising him. :pb_biggrin:

On 5/25/2016 at 2:14 PM, Chicken bones said:

Congrats! And ginger root pills made my life much easier during the pukey period.

Congrats! And those ginger root pills are a miracle worker! Get the real ones from a health food place or a pharmacy. I kinda used them for a different reason that involved lots of shots and a bus ride the morning after up a mountain. But they really are amazing. I also get nauseous from food because of stomach issues but for that I use Zofran. Not sure about using it during pregnancy tho. 

Congrats on your pregnancy! Train her up right!

3 hours ago, anne.stults said:

I'm envisioning swallowing some plumbing supply line ( or their travel-size alternative: glue sticks), and it whacks the baby on the way down.

Speaking of which, when I was graciously gifted a copy of one of the Pearls' books, I remember getting to the part about using plumbing supply line for a spanking implement. Now, having been an apartment-dweller my whole life, I had no idea what that was, so all I could picture was a big ol' PVC pipe. At that point I thought the book was supposed to be a parody, because imagine whacking the shit out of a toddler with 3 feet of 4-inch diameter pipe, like a hitman would take a lead pipe to a set of kneecaps.

4 hours ago, nst said:

that picture is from the season finale.   That's what Derick wears 

He is just all sorts of cray cray 

God you make me so glad I missed watching the Season Finale. Although I do need to deep clean the apartment before my next run down to the States so maybe I should download it...hmmmm

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Hyperemesis Gravidarium. Luckily I don't have that. Not sure what the qualifications would be. I got sick five times Wednesday and over fifteen times yesterday. I think they only give that diagnosis if you're seriously dehydrated from all the vomiting and unable to keep any food down - which I wasn't seriously in trouble there. My urine had indicators that my body was in early starvation mode, but luckily that was the only test that came back with a small red flag.

I seriously sympathize with Duchess Catherine and anyone who has experienced Hyperemesis Gravidarium though. I was completely miserable yesterday - I can barely imagine how bad someone diagnosed with it must feel!

Aw thanks! He's a real sweetie. His parents did an excellent job raising him. :pb_biggrin:

I'm not sure if this will give you encouragement or not, but a friend of mine barfed all day, every day, through two pregnancies. Her first baby, they drove to the hospital when her water broke and they were home, with the baby, four hours later. Her second she decided to just have at home with a midwife and he was born within an hour of her water breaking. I tease her that if her pregnancies weren't so awful she could repopulate the world with how easily she gives birth.

All of which to say, maybe your labour will be quick to compensate for all the barfing :( 

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Congrats! And those ginger root pills are a miracle worker! Get the real ones from a health food place or a pharmacy. I kinda used them for a different reason that involved lots of shots and a bus ride the morning after up a mountain. But they really are amazing. I also get nauseous from food because of stomach issues but for that I use Zofran. Not sure about using it during pregnancy tho. 

Congrats on your pregnancy! Train her up right!

I was given a small dose of zofran last night, but the Doctor didn't want to prescribe more because it's a Class B medication (meaning there have been no studies to prove its safe during pregnancy.) She gave me a prescription for something else classified as Class A (proven safe), so I'm hoping that works for the next two weeks.

And I fully intend to train my child to believe they are actually a Velociraptor. It's going to be phenomenal. :pb_lol:

Zofran has been used safely in pregnant women. My sister used it for all her pregnancies. Flu shots also aren't tested in pregnant women, either, but Dr's still recommend them. 

1 hour ago, just...sare said:

I'm not sure if this will give you encouragement or not, but a friend of mine barfed all day, every day, through two pregnancies. Her first baby, they drove to the hospital when her water broke and they were home, with the baby, four hours later. Her second she decided to just have at home with a midwife and he was born within an hour of her water breaking. I tease her that if her pregnancies weren't so awful she could repopulate the world with how easily she gives birth.

All of which to say, maybe your labour will be quick to compensate for all the barfing :( 

Interesting! I had no morning sickness with any of mine, but marathon labors (the shortest being 23 hours; and that's active labor, not Jilly Muffin timing)...

On 5/24/2016 at 1:35 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

This is making my dry spell at 24 look even more pathetic.

You can be a virgin again!    Say you gave it up for religious reasons and then 'fell from grace' again.  

6 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

It's all such a crap shoot too. I have the weakest stomach. Waking up too early makes me nauseous (lol, I'm pathetically lazy apparently). I smell something gross and feel nauseous. So I was SURE I'd have the worst morning sickness ever, especially when pregnant with two babies (don't if it is true or not, but all the extra hormones of a second baby I heard might make it worse). But I was only ever mildly nauseous. Never had a craving (liked mustard a lot while pregnant, but I always do). I didn't throw up once.

3 hours ago, Snarkylark said:

Zofran has been used safely in pregnant women. My sister used it for all her pregnancies. Flu shots also aren't tested in pregnant women, either, but Dr's still recommend them. 

There has been a big hub bub about Zofran recently so I think that might be why doctors are hesitating to Rx more.

A friend had hyperemesis gravidarium with both of her pregnancies.  Since she was keen to have three kids she was delighted that the second pregnancy was twins as she said she just couldn't do a third pregnancy.  We joked that she should have called the boys Max and Allen as if it hadn't been for the Maxalon*she was prescribed the doctors said she would have had to terminate the second pregnancy, she was so sick.

* this was 20 years ago, I've got no idea if that drug is still in use.

Hope velocibaby starts behaving soon, @VelociRapture!  

11 hours ago, Snarkylark said:

The flu shots is not recommended because of thiomersal. There's a special one for pregnant women that does not containing it. It was what was offered to me as an alternativa when I got my allergy diagnosed

CDC and multiple other medical bodies around the world recommend the flu shot for pregnant women and there is no medical concern about the thiomersal in pregnancy. :)  It's category B or C depending on the country because there is no evidence proving it's safe, but that's because doing formal studies on pregnant women is an ethical and legal minefield so very few newer medications are category A.  Every drug prescribed in pregnancy is a matter of balancing risks.  In women who don't respond to Maxalon trying Zofran is a better bet even with the recent concerns than terminating the pregnancy or letting the mother die for instance.  Some doctors may be less keen to do it for women who have bad nausea/vomiting but they may have a different view if a woman is becoming very unwell.

Hope Velocibaby behaves!  It's seriously unpleasant being so unwell.

17 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I was given a small dose of zofran last night, but the Doctor didn't want to prescribe more because it's a Class B medication (meaning there have been no studies to prove its safe during pregnancy.) She gave me a prescription for something else classified as Class A (proven safe), so I'm hoping that works for the next two weeks.

And I fully intend to train my child to believe they are actually a Velociraptor. It's going to be phenomenal. :pb_lol:

I just want to give a little advice with Zofran. It can be a godsend when it help to curve vomiting but the side effects can be hellish. I have a health problem that when it flares up leaves me with vomiting at all hours of the day with multiple reenactments of the exorcist in a day. Due to the side effects of Zofran I ended up in the hospital after three days on it. I just wanted to warn you and hopefully it doesn't have any reverse effects.

3 minutes ago, kjmackin said:

I just want to give a little advice with Zofran. It can be a godsend when it help to curve vomiting but the side effects can be hellish. I have a health problem that when it flares up leaves me with vomiting at all hours of the day with multiple reenactments of the exorcist in a day. Due to the side effects of Zofran I ended up in the hospital after three days on it. I just wanted to warn you and hopefully it doesn't have any reverse effects.

I didn't have any issues thankfully. The alternative medicine (an anti-histamine and I believe vitamin B6) seems to be helping too. It was so nice waking up the past two days without feeling like death. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, jozina said:

CDC and multiple other medical bodies around the world recommend the flu shot for pregnant women and there is no medical concern about the thiomersal in pregnancy. :)  It's category B or C depending on the country because there is no evidence proving it's safe, but that's because doing formal studies on pregnant women is an ethical and legal minefield so very few newer medications are category A.  Every drug prescribed in pregnancy is a matter of balancing risks.  In women who don't respond to Maxalon trying Zofran is a better bet even with the recent concerns than terminating the pregnancy or letting the mother die for instance.  Some doctors may be less keen to do it for women who have bad nausea/vomiting but they may have a different view if a woman is becoming very unwell.

Hope Velocibaby behaves!  It's seriously unpleasant being so unwell.

Yep, yep, and yep to all of this. I've been very careful about trying to avoid any medication since finding out I was pregnant - I took a total of three-quarters of a single Benadryl in the weeks before my ER visit out of an abundance of caution. I don't know nearly enough about all this to feel comfortable taking that type of risk. My first real appointment will be this coming Friday (I'll be 7w6d.) I figure I can ask my Doctor about medications at that point and see what she recommends.

@VelociRapture, I believe the antihistamine/B6 combo you're referring to is doxylamine and B6.  It was previously marketed as Bendectin, but was voluntarily taken off the market in the mid-80s due to some spurious lawsuits.  After a number of clinical trials affirming its safety, it's back under the trade name (US) of Diclegis.

Pyridoxine/doxylamine

I took Bendectin for half of my first pregnancy and through the first three months or so of my second.  Both of these daughters are ridiculously healthy and SMART.  The Bendectin kept me from having a miserable pregnancy. 

ETA: I really ought to tell my morning-sick PG daughter about this.  I didn't realize it was back on the market.

On 5/27/2016 at 8:48 AM, VelociRapture said:

Normally I wouldn't find this as funny as I just did. But I spent over six hours in the ER last night for extreme nausea and vomiting - so this made me crack up. I definitely had a few not so nice things to think about Velocibaby in the midst of my suffering.

And now I'm sipping lemonade iced tea and snacking on pickles. Because that's what I can stomach. The pickles are the one and only thing I will ever thank the Duggars for - they're REALLY good at curbing my nausea. :pb_lol:

and amen for PICKLES - 

can you eat pickle chips - if not I will for you 

just think - I think I can - I think I can :)

On 5/27/2016 at 10:41 AM, VelociRapture said:

Apparently Maria Shriver had what the Duchess had - and look at her babies :)

VR- you go girl :)

On 5/27/2016 at 1:08 PM, just...sare said:

My best friend - who had 4 kids - ended up in the hospital with her last three because of throwing up endlessly -

and now they are all HAPPY healthy kids 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived