IGNORED

Counting On- Part 10: Counting out in Central America!

samurai_sarah

4 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

Hey hey now they also read biographies of great Christians and "fiction" (read: word vomit) about keeping princesses who remained pure a la Before You Meet Prince Charming and nonfiction about how to remain pure before marriage and kissing dating goodbye.

Well, that would certainly keep me entertained. Not. :laughing-rofl::laughing-rofl:

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Well, that would certainly keep me entertained. Not. :laughing-rofl::laughing-rofl:

The young strapping man, whom I was not sinfully looking over with Lust, pulled me close and said the most romantic words I would ever hear:

"I'm like Olive Oil, EXTRA virgin."

12 hours ago, Analytica49 said:

This is a very good question. The kidults are not being educated in any way, shape or form. I suppose the younger ones might spend an hour or two on the computer, ostensibly studying, and an older one might check on them occasionally. The "girls" are not allowed to do paid work. Surely housework does not take all day, and the goddess knows they don't devote any quality time to cooking.

So what the heck are they doing? If I belonged to that family, I'd be deeply distressed and disheartened by how worthless my life would seem. Nothing much to do, no goals to achieve, no independence possible outside of marriage, no encouragement to be creative--what empty lives they all seem to have.

But it's not about this life now, is it? It's all about the next one. So it doesn't matter if this life is empty and boring. Just pray and proclaim to have Jeebus in your heart and you're all set for their (imaginary) afterlife. This (real) life has no further meaning for them than that.

On May 28, 2016 at 1:45 AM, OrchidBlossom said:

Personally super looking forward to some more tittilating side hugs. The "will they won't they" of getting engaged (spoiler alert: they will!), will she find a modest dress?! (yes), what about the bridesmaids' dresses?! (also yes), what courtship rules will they set (side hugs at courtship, no hand holding before engagement, no kissing until the altar)... wait... I guess we don't need another courtship after all.

I just can't stand how JB and Michelle act like they're giving their kids freedom to pick courtship rules and the kids just "happen" to pick the most stringent ones. Yeah right. JB would flip out if one of his daughters was like, "We've decided to front hug, kiss, and fornicate before the big day to see if there's any chemistry there"... Obviously that would never happen but I wish... 

On May 29, 2016 at 5:18 AM, fraurosena said:

But it's not about this life now, is it? It's all about the next one. So it doesn't matter if this life is empty and boring. Just pray and proclaim to have Jeebus in your heart and you're all set for their (imaginary) afterlife. This (real) life has no further meaning for them than that.

They have raised their children to waste their lives. I've never liked how fundies keep their children from the outside world. There is so much beauty, culture, and experiences one could have. The Duggar children have been all over the world and they didn't appreciate any of it because a lot of what they saw, I'm sure, was considered evil by their parents. Like when they went to Japan for instance. A lot of people there aren't Christian. I wonder if off camera JB waxed poetic about how Shinto and Buddhism are bad. God forbid he walked past a temple. 

On 21/05/2016 at 9:14 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Hey, if you "get De Sex" you wouldn't be defrauding!  It is only defrauding when you attract but don't put out.

The whole idea of defrauding is that if you excite sexual thoughts you are responsible for having excited them.  If you excite sexual thoughts that you cannot or will not act on, it is [in Gothard thinking] the equivalent of offering money or goods that the other person "pays" for (by getting excited) and then not delivering the goods.  But if you excite sexual thoughts and satisfy the desire, you are not defrauding, just leading into sin.  That, as you know, can be a lot of fun. ;) 

But I will admit that it is probably not a good idea nowadays to talk about footwear thongs without making it clear that you mean footwear (as in "thong-style-sandals").  The underwear has taken over the word "thong."  (Happens all the time.  In the nineteenth century and early twentieth too, "make love" used to mean to "court," not to have sex with. During the middle ages and renaissance, "mistress" was the woman a man was trying to please, sometimes with the intent of seduction, but sometimes with the intent of marriage and quite often with just the desire to charm and earn patronage.  And "pot" used to mean a cooking utensil. ;))

What does pot mean now?

22 minutes ago, 19Kittens said:

@kunoichi66 Probably Marijuana.

Oh, yeah

:bangheaddesk:

I do know that - it just didn't occur to me XD

thanks!

As an aside: I have FINALLY reached the end of these threads - go me!  Do I get a cookie?

52 minutes ago, kunoichi66 said:

What does pot mean now?

As @19Kittens says, it is a common slang term for marijuana.  It is non-count (like rice or sugar) so you never say "a pot" or "many pots" when you mean marijuana.  You just say "pot."  (As in, "Jack first smoked pot at a friend's party.")

But in a sentence like, "That pot saved my life," the word "pot" is ambiguous.  It could be a cooking pot or it could be the drug.

On 5/21/2016 at 4:14 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Hey, if you "get De Sex" you wouldn't be defrauding!  It is only defrauding when you attract but don't put out.

The whole idea of defrauding is that if you excite sexual thoughts you are responsible for having excited them.  If you excite sexual thoughts that you cannot or will not act on, it is [in Gothard thinking] the equivalent of offering money or goods that the other person "pays" for (by getting excited) and then not delivering the goods.  But if you excite sexual thoughts and satisfy the desire, you are not defrauding, just leading into sin.  That, as you know, can be a lot of fun. ;) 

But I will admit that it is probably not a good idea nowadays to talk about footwear thongs without making it clear that you mean footwear (as in "thong-style-sandals").  The underwear has taken over the word "thong."  (Happens all the time.  In the nineteenth century and early twentieth too, "make love" used to mean to "court," not to have sex with. During the middle ages and renaissance, "mistress" was the woman a man was trying to please, sometimes with the intent of seduction, but sometimes with the intent of marriage and quite often with just the desire to charm and earn patronage.  And "pot" used to mean a cooking utensil. ;))

1 hour ago, kunoichi66 said:

As an aside: I have FINALLY reached the end of these threads - go me!  Do I get a cookie?

I too, have caught up on the threads and don't know what to do with myself.

On 5/30/2016 at 10:16 PM, EmCatlyn said:

As @19Kittens says, it is a common slang term for marijuana.  It is non-count (like rice or sugar) so you never say "a pot" or "many pots" when you mean marijuana.  You just say "pot."  (As in, "Jack first smoked pot at a friend's party.")

But in a sentence like, "That pot saved my life," the word "pot" is ambiguous.  It could be a cooking pot or it could be the drug.

I have heard people say stuff like "I smoked five pots", but only to make a joke.

Here is one thing I've been thinking about. You know how the girls can only read christian biographies,  'knight in shining' armor books and the Bible? Can you see any of the Duggar boys acting like a knight? They just don't seem like they are the answer to any fundie girl's dreams! 

Ben never struck me as a knight either. I had hopes for Derick, but I honestly don't know where he sees his life going right now.

41 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Here is one thing I've been thinking about. You know how the girls can only read christian biographies,  'knight in shining' armor books and the Bible? Can you see any of the Duggar boys acting like a knight? They just don't seem like they are the answer to any fundie girl's dreams! 

Yes, I can. John David, but in the old way of it--working hard, putting his family first, doing his expected jobs around the house promptly and taking care of his wife in that old-fashioned way, like my Grandfather (born 1904). John David will also be a good example (in the way that he knows) to his children of calm, careful reactions and living by the rules as he knows them. Not every knight makes a splashy entrance on a white horse or films an over-the-top proposal. Some are just quietly there with you enjoying the rest of you lives together. I think he has that quality.

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Ben never struck me as a knight either. I had hopes for Derick, but I honestly don't know where he sees his life going right now.

I actually liked Bin for a while especially when they drove to Erin's wedding. JD and Jer I think were merely sitting at the kitchen counter and playing scrabble while Bin was actually helping to load the Duggar bus. 

6 hours ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Does this mean the books are defrauding? They are setting up desires in the girls that can not be righteously fulfilled. (The desires could potentially be fulfilled if the girls married unfundy men but then the marriage wouldn't be righteous as they would be yoked with an unbeliever.)

Really though, what these girls seem to mostly be told to look for is a man like their dad. I've heard several of the Bates girls say in interviews they want a man just like their dad. My husbands cousins and nieces say this. As much as we pick on Gil for his beliefs and lifestyle, he does seem to be a pretty good husband to Kelly. I pity the Duggar girls though. If they're looking for a man like Jim Bob I hate to think of what they may find. If they've worked out they need to look for something a bit different, they really haven't had any experience to pick the good from the bad. Either way, they loose.

2 hours ago, PartriarchydefyinValkarie said:

I actually liked Bin for a while especially when they drove to Erin's wedding. JD and Jer I think were merely sitting at the kitchen counter and playing scrabble while Bin was actually helping to load the Duggar bus. 

he was trying to impress them.

nothing more 

50 minutes ago, Miggy said:

Does this mean the books are defrauding? They are setting up desires in the girls that can not be righteously fulfilled. (The desires could potentially be fulfilled if the girls married unfundy men but then the marriage wouldn't be righteous as they would be yoked with an unbeliever.)

Really though, what these girls seem to mostly be told to look for is a man like their dad. I've heard several of the Bates girls say in interviews they want a man just like their dad. My husbands cousins and nieces say this. As much as we pick on Gil for his beliefs and lifestyle, he does seem to be a pretty good husband to Kelly. I pity the Duggar girls though. If they're looking for a man like Jim Bob I hate to think of what they may find. If they've worked out they need to look for something a bit different, they really haven't had any experience to pick the good from the bad. Either way, they loose.

I've heard all the Duggar girls say they want a husband who is not quick to anger. I'm pretty sure that's Gothard talk.

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I've heard all the Duggar girls say they want a husband who is not quick to anger. I'm pretty sure that's Gothard talk.

In a community that promotes a lifestyle that enables domestic abusers AND is likely to hide and/or justify any abuse that does come to light, I too would want a husband that is not quick to anger.  I would be straight terrified of any man with even the hint of a temper.  

3 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

In a community that promotes a lifestyle that enables domestic abusers AND is likely to hide and/or justify any abuse that does come to light, I too would want a husband that is not quick to anger.  I would be straight terrified of any man with even the hint of a temper.  

Definitely. But some abusers are very calm most of the time and these girls 1) have quick courtships/engagements and 2) are never alone with them. So it's very possible their future knight in shining armor could be abusive and they would never see the warning signs.

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Definitely. But some abusers are very calm most of the time and these girls 1) have quick courtships/engagements and 2) are never alone with them. So it's very possible their future knight in shining armor could be abusive and they would never see the warning signs.

I do worry about that and sadly they are hugely at risk. For some reason though all this talk about knights reminds me of when on Sex and the city Charlotte thinks she's found her White Knight, and then turns out he really just likes to pick fights.

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Wasn't it mentioned that JB has a temper? Can't remember if it was mentioned on the show or I read it here.

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wasn't it mentioned that JB has a temper? Can't remember if it was mentioned on the show or I read it here.

I thought Michelle has said she has a temper. 

• Destiny locked and unpinned this topic

Archived