IGNORED

Modest mom blog

19 cats and counting

2 hours ago, Petrel said:

Ain't no such thing as "adrenal fatigue"... Alt medicine might misdiagnose someone with lupus as having "adrenal fatigue", but it's not an actual medical condition. 

Unfortunately I'm afraid she was suffering from chronic depression, which can cause all sorts of physical symptoms, but is not on the fundie-approved list of acceptable medical conditions. 

Interesting. I didn't know adrenal fatigue wasn't real. 

Is there any way we could separate the thread into one about the Catholic lady and one about the Modest Mom blog? It's a little difficult to follow with two discussions about two different blogs running concurrently. I'm not complaining about a thread derail, but I'm finding it a little confusing. 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Yep. Fuck off, judgy Catholic bitch. I'd far rather party away in Hell in my tank top and shorts than bore myself to tears in Heaven listening to your sanctimonious asshole-y-ness. Who's with me? :dance:

@mango_fandango I'm right there with you!  I'm going to hell for sure because I wore a running bra and shorts on today's long run.  Crazy Catholic lady would so disapprove :my_smile:

I tried to give the Modest Mom a chance. There was an entry on her blog written by her husband talking about how housework is hard, and women deserve credit for it. He also said that wives need to be respected. I thought to myself, this family can't be that bad!

Then of course I read the other terrible things on the blog and saw the discussion going on here and promptly changed my mind. There's always more insanity just beneath the surface with these people. 

5 hours ago, princessmahina said:

She does Plexus now, which seems like a total scam. I think she also does something with essential oils, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't sell them.

Her mom had lupus, which I remember reading could be connected to adrenal fatigue, so I wonder if there's a connection there. 

In her 2-part post about being diagnosed and all that, there's a bit that really stood out to me:

"For the next 8 months I struggled more than I ever have in my life, trying to just keep everything together during those intense anxiety attacks. Well meaning friends tried to tell me that I didn’t have enough faith in the Lord because I was having these anxiety attacks. My husband and I wrestled over those statements, and I was prayed over by elders in our church several times trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally I told my husband I couldn’t go on like this anymore, and we went to a MD that specializes in natural medicine. After spending a huge amount of money in her office for visits and different tests, I was diagnosed with having really low adrenal glands. The diagnose took a huge load off of my mind. Finally I had something to work with!"

That just sounds so depressing. Fuck those kinds of friends.

But she did have something to work with..

ANXIETY. and DEPRESSION.

It's so sad that she thinks she has to legitimize her mental illness with a physical one before she can get treatment other than praying it away.

Do you think she also looks down upon Postpartum Depression?

2 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

But she did have something to work with..

ANXIETY. and DEPRESSION.

It's so sad that she thinks she has to legitimize her mental illness with a physical one before she can get treatment other than praying it away.

Do you think she also looks down upon Postpartum Depression?

I don't think she looks down on people with post partum depression. I don't usually get a strong judge-y vibe from her though. She admits in at least one post that she's struggled with it:

http://www.themodestmomblog.com/2015/07/why-i-love-babywearing-and-a-tula-baby-carrier-giveaway/

She's written other posts that lead me to think postpartum depression is something she struggles with, but she doesn't really use the phrase much. 

I recall the horror of eternal damnation that will someday meet immodest women and often remind myself of the glorious reward awaiting those who love modesty.

Why didn't God just create people with all skin already covered if skin covering fashion choices are that much of a priority for him? Some nice scales or feathers in strategic places would do the trick nicely.

There's plenty of defrauding steampunk too, of course.

Oh catholic lady! You made my night.  I haven't had this good of a laugh in a while. What an insipid ditz.

On 22/05/2016 at 10:11 PM, nausicaa said:

Also, Steampunk, though it's technically modest, is associated with zombies, and therefore Satanic. 

This woman...

Wha..?

6 hours ago, kunoichi66 said:

Wha..?

http://thecatholicladyblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/on-trends.html

Someone attempts to explain to her that Steampunk is a blend of Victorian and science, and isn't about Satanism at all. Her response:

"Maybe not technically, but the resemblance is there. Try looking up steampunk zombie or heavy metal steampunk... It's often mixed with creepy things. I bet this Halloween we will see a lot of creepy steampunks."

Translation: My modesty advocacy has nothing to do with the Bible. I'm a very frightened person who's lived a very narrow life and would like everyone to conform to keep it that way. 

Also, read her comments on the Target transgender bathroom post. That poster's comment about intersex people went right over her head.. She is really not a very intelligent person is she? (I've never actually meant someone who denies the existence of intersex people. To me that's like denying the existence of deaf people.)

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 5:51 PM, Petrel said:

Ain't no such thing as "adrenal fatigue"... Alt medicine might misdiagnose someone with lupus as having "adrenal fatigue", but it's not an actual medical condition. 

Unfortunately I'm afraid she was suffering from chronic depression, which can cause all sorts of physical symptoms, but is not on the fundie-approved list of acceptable medical conditions. 

Alternative health providers also diagnose a lot of "brain fog."  Of course, those providers always sell some kind of supplement to "cure" the "brain fog."

13 hours ago, VooDooChild said:

Oh catholic lady! You made my night.  I haven't had this good of a laugh in a while. What an insipid ditz.

"Insipid ditz" is a good description. Maybe I'm just a super bitch or maybe it's because I've got some raging PMS right now, but when I see someone like that who married at 18 and was always taken care of and so goes around casting aspersions on everyone else from her little bubble, some part of me sort of hopes they find themselves divorced at 27 with a couple kids to take care of and a sore butt from landing so hard on reality. 

Yeah, I'm a super bitch.

I assume that crazy Catholic lady can't get through the average mass without her head spinning due to all the inappropriately dressed people surrounding her. 

Sunday morning, I wore cropped black skinny jeans and a t-shirt to mass. I've worn skirts above the knee to mass. Because I don't own longer skirts. I've seen people in spaghetti strap tops and teen girls in short shorts. I am personally a bit conservative in that I will not wear shorts, strapless anything, or spaghetti straps or anything too low cut to mass. But many people in my parish do wear stuff like that. 

I'm thinking that unless she goes to a Latin mass parish, she is seeing a lot of women and girls dressed far outside of her crazy standards. 

I remember visiting an Episcopal church in Florida near the beaches, a long time ago. There was a wide variety of dress there, from shirt-and-tie to shorts and bikini tops. (and this was "high church", the kind with "smells and bells" -- priest in full robes, incense, very formal -- not "low church" which I've also visited, that looked a lot like other evangelical community churches, meeting in a rented school gymnasium, where casual dress was the norm. Do Episcopalians still distinguish between "high" and "low" churches?)

I am good at providing a loving ambience for my family.

translation: I light votive candles and provide microwaved goodies to enhance our family Supernatural binges and shout "bitch! jerk! assbutt!" at all the appropriate moments.  :my_angel:

Someone posted that the Catholic lady was actually smart. I have to disagree with you. I only read her Target post and comments, and she does not strike me as intelligent in any way.

I barely believe she is real and not a parody. I have to get some work done but I think I may be a while on her blog later.

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

I'm thinking that unless she goes to a Latin mass parish, she is seeing a lot of women and girls dressed far outside of her crazy standards. 

I'd bet $500.00 cold hard cash right now that she's Latin mass only. 

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

http://thecatholicladyblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/on-trends.html

Someone attempts to explain to her that Steampunk is a blend of Victorian and science, and isn't about Satanism at all. Her response:

"Maybe not technically, but the resemblance is there. Try looking up steampunk zombie or heavy metal steampunk... It's often mixed with creepy things. I bet this Halloween we will see a lot of creepy steampunks."

Translation: My modesty advocacy has nothing to do with the Bible. I'm a very frightened person who's lived a very narrow life and would like everyone to conform to keep it that way. 

Also, read her comments on the Target transgender bathroom post. That poster's comment about intersex people went right over her head.. She is really not a very intelligent person is she? (I've never actually meant someone who denies the existence of intersex people. To me that's like denying the existence of deaf people.)

Maybe not technically - so she's just admitted that she is spouting rubbish?  argh

I'm going to pull this entire quote from her comments section because it's Pure Comedy Gold. These people are fucking terrible.

JamesOctober 10, 2015 at 7:06 PM

This post caught my attention at the top of your "Most Viewed Posts" column. I think you do good addressing this issue. Many Catholics suffer from a certain bi-polar disorder regarding swim wear. They rightfully think that it is inappropriate for a woman to walk down the street or go shopping in her underwear---and tempt every normal healthy male to look at them and sin in their heart---yet somehow if you do it while walking on sand with salt water within sight it is OK.

The idea of public bathing on the beach was considered scandalous from the Middle Ages until about the 19th century (and even into the 20th) regardless of dress. 

The following is my opinion from a Catholic (and male) perspective.

I believe that, at a minimum, mixed-sex bathing on a public beach is never acceptable no matter the circumstances, age, or modesty of the swimsuit. Swimsuits necessarily have to be form-fitting and cover less of the body than a normal outfit in order to be safe for swimming. When they get wet they reveal much, if not everything, of a woman's body.

Children swimming together is not a problem in itself, but after a certain age boys and girls should not swim together.

Can a woman swim? 

First, I would say that women swimming in a single-sex environment in modest swimwear (nothing form-fitting) is not bad in itself.

Should a Catholic lady swim?

All men are not "born and remain free and equal in rights" as the Declaration of the Rights of Man says. Just as God-given sex roles, strengths, and rules of modesty are different for men and women, so too do rules for swimming apply to men and women. 

Woman is naturally called to nurture her family, to provide a loving ambience for her children and her husband, to excel in the domestic arts such as sewing, cooking, cleaning, music, singing, and the overall management of a household. In short, everything the Holy Ghost mentions in Proverbs 31. Ideally she should not have to do outdoor work or activities outside the home that might brutalize or erode her femininity.

Men in general are more fit to do outdoor work, to be in contact with nature, subduing it, dominating it, and harvesting from it to provide for and protect his family. Boys and men love to explore the woods, climb mountains, hunt animals, and show the scars to prove it. Swimming is related to this rough, tough, more "outdoor" nature of man and is therefore more of a "boy" activity. 

Swimming, like bathing, is by nature a very intimate activity. There is something about the nature of swimming that makes it very easy for a person to forget their normal decorum, inhibitions, manners, propriety, and modesty in demeanour, to just let themselves go. Women have a special role in setting the example for their families and society in all these things. Why is it that we often associate the word "frolic" with beaches? Is that how children should see their mother? 

The word "beach" is so linked to modern neo-pagan immodesty that a counter-Revolutionary Catholic lady could not tell someone "We went to the beach last weekend" without causing him or her to imagine that they went in a bikini, like everyone else. You have to qualify it in order not to give scandal: "We went to a deserted beach with just the family" or "Just the children swam." Our world has taken impurity and immodesty to levels never seen before in history. Going to the beach during the summer is not just a common practice but is practically obligatory If you live within driving distance of the ocean and say "I don't go the beach" you are looked at as strange. 

Should a counter-Revolutionary lady, one who wishes to oppose the corruption of our world, participate in a pastime that is so linked to impurity and sin? 

No. A Catholic lady should not swim.

image.png

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!   Wearing high heels adds grace to vacuuming! 

Well motherfucker, I was just complaining to myself how inelegant vacuuming was. I sure don't want to look like a dirty cunt whilst doing my feminine chores. I'm running to my fucking closet to put those little bitches on my feet now!

8 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

image.png

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!   Wearing high heels adds grace to vacuuming! 

Well motherfucker, I was just complaining to myself how inelegant vacuuming was. I sure don't want to look like a dirty cunt whilst doing my feminine chores. I'm running to my fucking closet to put those little bitches on my feet now!

I'm doomed, then. I don't even own a pair of high heeled shoes. I vacuum in my Converse All Stars if I wear any shoes at all. :?

But I could wear a string of pearls, a la June Cleaver. Maybe that would somewhat mitigate the unladylike Converse (hey, they're pink, so they're kind of ladylike!).

2 hours ago, refugee said:

Do Episcopalians still distinguish between "high" and "low" churches?)

Yes, though casual wear would be more bottom-barrel low church from what I've seen.  To me low church is no chant, no choral psalms, just readings, and more, let's say, accessible music--no Rachmaninov, nothing in foreign languages. 

It's weird how she emphasizes modesty in the sense of covering certain regions of one's skin but not modesty in the sense of being self-effacing.  Wearing clothes to express one's personality and wearing fucking high-heeled shoes to do housecleaning because it makes you feel like royalty is not modest in that sense.  

9 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I'm doomed, then. I don't even own a pair of high heeled shoes. I vacuum in my Converse All Stars if I wear any shoes at all. :?

But I could wear a string of pearls, a la June Cleaver. Maybe that would somewhat mitigate the unladylike Converse (hey, they're pink, so they're kind of ladylike!).

I don't even vacuum!

(just kidding)

ETA I was just reminded of something the kids love to quote. I have no idea where it comes from. (Seinfeld?)

1: Here! Have a nice, hot cup of coffee!

2: It's not hot.

1: Here! Have a nice cup of coffee!

2: It's not "nice."

1: Here! Have a cup of coffee!

2: I'm not even sure it's coffee...

1: (pause) Cup!

On 5/23/2016 at 5:08 PM, princessmahina said:

Interesting. I didn't know adrenal fatigue wasn't real. 

Is there any way we could separate the thread into one about the Catholic lady and one about the Modest Mom blog? It's a little difficult to follow with two discussions about two different blogs running concurrently. I'm not complaining about a thread derail, but I'm finding it a little confusing. 

Feel free to start a new thread on the other blogger if there's not one already! Otherwise, thread drift is fine :) 

Does she know that men have worn shoes with heels for a few hundred years?! Some of the first men who wore heels wore them to keep their feet from coming out of the stirrups when riding horses! So elegant and extremely civilized!

Archived