IGNORED

Homeschooling fundie mom rants against evil American Library Asociation

lilah

I remember reading a book(probably from the 60s)that mentioned having to pay doctor bills for the kids' measles, mumps, and chicken pox(not vaccinations, the actual diseases).

I went to high school in a tiny rural town without a public library; the next town over had a small one, but I preferred the much larger one in the city about ten miles away.  When you're too young to drive and dependent on others to take you places, being able to go was a rare treat.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks, please help me out in building a crazy wild insane dreamy fantasy---and wouldn't it be fantastic if it became real and true?

I am imagining a great big world where no urban child, ANYWHERE, is more than a mile from a lending library (or some Crazy Book Lady who has thrown open the doors and says "come in! READ!")---and where rural people can hit a bookmobile at least twice a week, and more often is wayyyyyy better.

Hundreds of books, thousands of books, millions and billions and trillions of books!

Oh, and eleventy-hundred times free and powerful wifi with all the Good Stuff available (Google and YouTube and Gutenberg and a million other good free sites).

Am thanking the Blessed Eternal for the wonderful good fortune that let me get born in the USA, with lots of books and public schools and teachers and free libraries.

Let's give it up to Teacher People of all flavors, and for Librarians/Informatics Experts/Booky People who make this wonderful stuff available for us!

15 hours ago, desertvixen said:

They do start going more towards fiction in the upper grades.  But I personally love the idea that kids are reading non-fiction and being excited.  Also, there seems to be a lot more of the "fiction, but has fact sections at the end" stuff.

My daughter (9) also loves the Magic Treehouse Fact Tracker books.

We're going through a kind of "classic reading" program where I read to her at night - so far we've read Charlotte's Web (bonus points for Mom bawling her eyes out), the Incredible Journey, Westing Game, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, and now we're on Cherry Ames - second book in the series.  I also love explaining things that come up when we're reading.

Those look like great books! I'd also suggest Snow Treasure, which tells the story of a group of children from Norway who saved their country's  gold from the Nazis. 

4 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

Am thanking the Blessed Eternal for the wonderful good fortune that let me get born in the USA, with lots of books and public schools and teachers and free libraries.

Australia tends to be pretty good in regards to public libraries.  When I was a kid, there was one a reasonable bikebride away, which I think we visited each week or two.  And a smaller school library.  And sometimes we'd visit a different library in the city for variety (they were also connected by inter library loan, but it's not the same as hardcopy browsing).  Now that we're out of town, there's still a few libraries a reasonable drive away, and my younger siblings are taken most weeks.  They reserve and request a lot of books online.  I do most of my reading online or through an Audible subscription, but I still have library cards for both nearby library systems.  Actually, they're so old they have my mum;s signature on them as guardian, lol!

Spoiler

I loved Snow Treasure, and the Cherry Ames books!    

Mods? Could we maybe just have a thread about favorite books, kiddie lit, stuff we are reading now, etc? 

7 minutes ago, BlackberryGirl said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I loved Snow Treasure, and the Cherry Ames books!    

Mods? Could we maybe just have a thread about favorite books, kiddie lit, stuff we are reading now, etc? 

I'm not a mod but there are book threads in the Quiverfull of words subforum.

28 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I'm not a mod but there are book threads in the Quiverfull of words subforum.

:shock: I really need to get out of Quiver Full of Snark more often. I didn't know we HAD a Quiver Full of Words subforum! *apparates to QFoW with a whoosh*

@samira_catlover, we are on the second book where Cherry is in her last year at Spencer.  I think we're going to read the third book and then I'm going to need the break.  One of the book clubs I'm in started offering new editions of the books, which is how I found them, and Cherry is also available on Kindle.

@Audrey2, I will have to check that out!

On 5/22/2016 at 5:55 PM, mango_fandango said:

I learnt about things like St Lucia in Scandinavia and Diwali and other more obscure ones.

I learned about St. Lucia through a fiction book too.  It was the Kirsten (American Girl) one about how her family spends the holidays.  I remember seeing the catalog where you could buy the candle crown wreath.

5 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I learned about St. Lucia through a fiction book too.  It was the Kirsten (American Girl) one about how her family spends the holidays.  I remember seeing the catalog where you could buy the candle crown wreath.

I learned about St Lucia through a book called 'The Golden Name Day.' I don't remember much about it except that the illustrations were by Garth Williams of Little House fame, and the girl in the story didn't have a name day so adopted St Lucia's day--I think. I haven't read the book since I was a child, so I'm a little hazy on the details. Must google it and see if I can find a copy somewhere!

On May 20, 2016 at 2:55 AM, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

snipped

I remember there being a fuss in my public school at one point over Susan Cooper's Silver on the Tree series.  It "promoted witchcraft".  It remained in the library, and one of my favorites.  The fussy parents were apparently unaware of the huge VC Andrews and Stephen King collections in the same library.  I read Andrews because all the other girls were and they had that forbidden fruit thing going on, and have been a fan of King ever since (though his most recent offerings aren't doing it for me).

snipped (& my bolding)

I worked my way through all the Sydney Sheldon books in my public junior high library in 8th and 9th grade. I wonder how many parents were aware of his books and how, um, graphically trashy his books are? I suppose someone who knew that he wrote scripts for  I Dream of Jeannie might not be familiar with his novels. 

I also loved/love Jonathan Bellairs! He wrote several of his books after I stopped checking for them, so I got to read them for the first time as an adult. Lucky me. :my_smile:

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? The comments are awesome.  As a parent in this school district, I have spent many volunteer hours with Ms. Bombeck (2 kids). The children do not receive enough library time.  The first part was spent learning how to actually learn about how a library works. The second 10 minutes was checking out books and the final 10 minutes was story time.

At one point there was a "specials" class that was called computer lab. The district now provides iPads for elementary students and MacBooks for Jr./high school students.  Computer lab was eliminated in elementary school because they are on computers all day.  

12 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Chelio93,  I just sent this to my daughter who is a librarian in an college library.

I do hope you let us know what she thinks.

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

I worked my way through all the Sydney Sheldon books in my public junior high library in 8th and 9th grade. I wonder how many parents were aware of his books and how, um, graphically trashy his books are?

Yes.  I think I read through parts of If Tomorrow Comes when I was a 6th grader (adults around me tended not to monitor what I read) and passed over it but reread it recently - I would think the whole scene where Tracey gets beaten up/gang raped in the prison (not graphic, but it leaves you in NO doubt of what is going on) - plus the fact that she miscarries because of it.  Plus all the other stuff, like the doctor who used the same speculum on all the women? 

Would not be my choice for a school library, no.

On 5/24/2016 at 9:21 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I worked my way through all the Sydney Sheldon books in my public junior high library in 8th and 9th grade. I wonder how many parents were aware of his books and how, um, graphically trashy his books are? I suppose someone who knew that he wrote scripts for  I Dream of Jeannie might not be familiar with his novels. 

I discovered Sidney Sheldon in junior high, too. And Jacqueline Susann, Erich Segal, Stephen King, Danielle Steel and many, many romance novelists. I didn't need the library, I used my babysitting money to buy paperbacks at the grocery store. My parents didn't pay any attention to what I was reading - and yet I survived.

Archived