IGNORED

Where Are The Writers?

theinvisiblegirl

Calling all writers!

I can't be the only person on FJ that wants to have a fraction of the literary success that J.K. Rowling has.

What are you working on? Do you have writers block? Are you published? Let's talk about the worlds and people we create in our minds and put down on paper!

• 2 months later...

I don't think I have writer's block. I think I'm stuck in this weird slump where I want to focus on character backstories and nitpick at things like their birthdays. I feel like it's because college is going to start again.

I have never been published and I mostly just write with the hopes of finishing a draft and then getting it into print. What about everyone else?

I'm pondering.  Thinking.  Sometimes I think about stopping (unpublished) and then they (characters) begin babbling again.  We'll see.

Meanwhile the editor was in residence (in my brain) while reading fiction last night as a character told of his childhood and getting adopted and how the guy who later adopted him gave him a phone and put phone numbers in it.  And my mind is doing math and thinking - hey author - did you remember when cell phones really took place?  Seriously?  So something is still wandering around my head.

I have to ask. How does one get published? Like, what is the process of finishing your draft and then finding a company to publish it? I know very little about the publishing world because so far I stick to writing for myself.

• 2 months later...

Hey! Resurrecting an old thread here. I love writing stories. I'm nowhere near any kind of publication yet, mainly writing for fun/myself at this stage. Being on FJ has even inspired me to write stories about fundie families....

There was a great thread last year where we imagined a fundie-style restaurant. I made up a short story about a normal family who disguise themselves and visit undercover. Different fundies are referenced- you can tell who they are- but no names are mentioned.

• 10 months later...

I'm almost a year late to this party, but I'm here! Currently working on a women's fictional novel, similar style as to Gone Girl, Girl on the Train, etc. 

Who knew this was a topic??  Published here - 10 books, working on 11 and looking for a new publisher for number 12 for my next book.  I neeeedddd more dollars.   Am available if we want to make this a writer's support topic!    

I've never posted on here before, but been lurking about a year. I'm a novelist too - science fiction. I'm also a professor, so I don't need dollars, but they would be nice. I had one book picked up by a publisher. I had a two-book contract with them, but they were bought out by another house and I declined to continue my contract with the new publisher. I'm considering trying Amazon's Kindle Scout for my next book. For the (much) earlier question of how to get published: first I created a package of material about myself and my book. This included a letter describing the plot and my history, a short summary of the novel, and several samples in varied lengths. This is because some places want 1 chapter, or 3 chapters, or 1,000 words etc. I sent my package out to 50 literary agents and publishing houses. 50 was my "give up and self-publish" number and then I decided to send out to just a few more. Publishing house number 51 picked it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Archived