IGNORED

Boycott Target: No Men in womens bathroom group on facebook

19TrollsandCounting

Uh, yeah, evangelism, that's what that is. I found it interesting that the woman did the "preaching" and the guy just followed behind her. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shopped at Target yesterday, because it was close to my first errand and I like their dollar stuff. No one walked around shouting; it was pretty nice. (Didn't need the bathroom, so I missed any interesting adventures there.)

I'm not making light of the importance of transgender rights, but I have to say, the right to pee where you chose is a strange civil right to for which to have to fight. Not the right to marry, or vote, or to integrate schools, or to receive equal pay for equal work. Just the right to pee in peace. Whodathunkit?

The right to pee is a strange civil right to fight for, but holding it has some serious health consequences (such as UTI).  

Maybe this fight will lead to redesigning public restrooms that have a little more privacy (such as no gaps in the stall walls, floor to ceiling stalls, etc.   And I don't think that single-stall restrooms (that look like a home one) should be gendered.

57 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Maybe this fight will lead to redesigning public restrooms that have a little more privacy (such as no gaps in the stall walls, floor to ceiling stalls, etc.   And I don't think that single-stall restrooms (that look like a home one) should be gendered.

We went to a new brew pub that did single-stall restrooms on both sides of a hallway.  It didn't take up any more space than having two gender-specific restrooms, although I'm sure the initial cost of extra walls, doors and sinks was more expensive.  The plaques outside, which typically would say "men" or "women" said "whatever" (or something along that line).  I liked the set-up and hope other businesses take note.

On 5/18/2016 at 2:26 PM, Anonymousguest said:

Uh, yeah, evangelism, that's what that is. I found it interesting that the woman did the "preaching" and the guy just followed behind her. 

My dh was not the one who led us into our fundie church. To my shame (now), I was.

I guess I can give myself some credit for being the one to lead us out again. But no, the kids really get the credit for that. If it hadn't been for them being miserable, we'd probably still be there, even though I was miserable myself. I thought my feelings didn't matter, if everybody else was happy. The kids put on a good face because they wanted their parents to be happy. Spouse was unhappy but clueless and soldiering on because he thought it was the right thing to do.

A boatload of unhappy people, all pretending to be happy for the others' sake.

If that's not hell on earth...

2 hours ago, refugee said:

My dh was not the one who led us into our fundie church. To my shame (now), I was.

I guess I can give myself some credit for being the one to lead us out again. But no, the kids really get the credit for that. If it hadn't been for them being miserable, we'd probably still be there, even though I was miserable myself. I thought my feelings didn't matter, if everybody else was happy. The kids put on a good face because they wanted their parents to be happy. Spouse was unhappy but clueless and soldiering on because he thought it was the right thing to do.

A boatload of unhappy people, all pretending to be happy for the others' sake.

If that's not hell on earth...

Not greatly different than my own story.

2 hours ago, 19TrollsandCounting said:

I've finally found out who The Family in that video is theyre the Krienke Family from Spokane, WA

https://www.facebook.com/eddie.krienke

Oh, my.

I'm glad they're not from our area. I thought they looked familiar in the video. Am very glad to be mistaken.

10 hours ago, 19TrollsandCounting said:

I've finally found out who The Family in that video is theyre the Krienke Family from Spokane, WA

My home state does have its share of wackos.  Googling this family led me to other families who send their children onto the streets (and now into stores) preaching fiery righteousness.  Poor kids! 

13 hours ago, 19TrollsandCounting said:

Wowsa. He looks like he should be friends with the Andersons. I bet he wins a lot of souls for Jesus.

I found it interesting that he capitalizes Me.

On 5/20/2016 at 10:28 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I'm not making light of the importance of transgender rights, but I have to say, the right to pee where you chose is a strange civil right to for which to have to fight. Not the right to marry, or vote, or to integrate schools, or to receive equal pay for equal work. Just the right to pee in peace. Whodathunkit?

HB 2 was about a helluva lot more than where transgender people are permitted to pee! HB2 also limits how people pursue claims of discrimination because of race, religion, color, national origin, biological sex or handicap in state courts. North Carolina never did prohibit discrimination based on sexual preference or gender identity so that didn't change except for people who lived in cities that had anti-discrimination laws that specified LGBT people as a protected class. In addition to nullifying any local laws protecting LGBT people's civil rights, HB2 also means a city or county cannot set a minimum wage standard for private employers. Or, basically, pass any laws that aren't already in place statewide.

The transgender bathroom restrictions were just a bonus bit of bigotry.

@Black Aliss--That's a good point about the scope of the bill/law in North Carolina. I wish my state would add the words "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" to our human rights act, but so far it hasn't even made it to a committee.

I guess I was thinking that we see bigots marching around Target, loudly proclaiming the end of the world is near because trans people are using the bathroom, but I haven't seen any videos of landlords proclaiming their right to refuse LGBT tenants, or employers proclaiming their right to deny hiring LGBT workers. I'm sure there are landlords and employers doing that, but I haven't heard of anyone bragging about it.

Really enjoying watching these ridiculous videos of the bocotters  the checkout girls face in this YouTube video is SO over. It!  And getting involved in you tube video idiots comments is such fun!

image.png

Why can't people just hold their pee until they get home if they hate target so much. Problem solved

Personally I think we should just get past the entire gendered bathrooms. Tear down all the walls, have one door that says "bathroom" and then everyone can go to a stall and do their thing, and there can be sinks outside the stalls.

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

Personally I think we should just get past the entire gendered bathrooms. Tear down all the walls, have one door that says "bathroom" and then everyone can go to a stall and do their thing, and there can be sinks outside the stalls.

Because then the GOP politicians would not be able to solicit their gay sex in bathrooms.

"There will be blood in the streets."

"God is going to judge this nation."

"God will destroy you."

Sounds like threats to me. Can't Target kick these assholes out for rolling up in there acting all crazy?

And these are the people I'm most afraid of. The ones who think the behavior of people will cause the nation to be "judged." At what point are they going to take things into their own hands and start killing people or otherwise using force to impose their particular brand of religious craziness on all of us? It seems to be getting more and more out of hand, and the more rights transgender people, LGBT, women, etc. try to get, the more crazy they become.

This needs to be shouted down wherever we see it.

On 5/18/2016 at 6:31 AM, TeddyBonkers said:

From the Glen Falls video:  "It would have been nice to do a double, you know, combo rebuke, door-to-door evangelism..." 

Yeah, too bad. They could have dropped a deuce of rebuking on them a la MIchael from "The Office."

Spoiler

deuce.jpg

I was listening to a replay of one of Howard Stern's shows from last week, & they played an audio clip of the lady yelling at Target. I haven't seen the video yet, but listening to the clip was enough for me.

Planning on going to Target tomorrow after work, & I'll be looking for any screamers. I, for one, would love to see Otep lay into one of those wackadoos.

14 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I'm a huge fan. This way, a dad with a daughter can actually be nearby while she uses the toilet--same for a mother whose son needs to go. Plus, changing tables for little ones still in diapers! And, yeah, trans* people like me can go in peace and quiet, too. ;)

(Also, I worked in a plant where there were sinks outside the restrooms. It was a fantastic setup because we could wash our hands AFTER handling restroom doors that may or may not have been, yanno, clean.)

On 5/21/2016 at 8:23 PM, 19TrollsandCounting said:

Noooo, not Spokane! I had a wonderful visit there last summer for a convention and fell in love with it as a small getaway city. The city is very walkable and beautiful, and is a hidden gem. 

9 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

I was listening to a replay of one of Howard Stern's shows from last week, & they played an audio clip of the lady yelling at Target. I haven't seen the video yet, but listening to the clip was enough for me.

Planning on going to Target tomorrow after work, & I'll be looking for any screamers. I, for one, would love to see Otep lay into one of those wackadoos.

These people are scary. I would be afraid of my safety if one of these a-holes came into my Target acting all crazy. They might just get rebuked by my pepper spray.

ETA: This Facebook post has been showing up on my newsfeed for the past several days, and does a good job of capturing the issues here. It was originally posted under the FB name "Oh No! Did I offend you?" I'm putting it under a spoiler tag because it's long (but well worth the read):

Spoiler

Dear creepy heterosexual men guarding our bathrooms, My entire life, I've been told to fear you in one way or another. I've been told to cover my body as to not distract you in school, to cover my body to help avoid unwanted advances or comments, to cover my body as to not tempt you to sexually assault me, to reject your unwanted advances politely as to not anger you. I've been taught to never walk alone at night, to hold my keys in my fist while walking in parking lots, to check the backseat of my car, to not drink too much because you might take advantage of me. I've been told what I should and shouldn't do with my body as to not jeopardize my relationships with you.

I've been warned not to emasculate you, to let "boys be boys", to protect your fragile ego and to not tread on your even more fragile masculinity. I've been taught to keep my emotions in check, to let you be the unit of measure for how much emotion is appropriate and to adjust my emotions accordingly. I’ve been taught that you’re allowed to categorize women into mother/sisters/girlfriends/wives/daughters but any woman outside of your protected categories is fair game.

So to those of you who think you're being helpful by "protecting" me and my fellow women, you're like a shark sitting in the Lifeguard chair. I wasn't uncomfortable until you showed up at the pool and the only potential predator I see is you.

Your mothers, sisters, girlfriends, wives and daughters don't need you to walk them to the bathroom for safety. Your fathers, brothers, friends and sons need to walk themselves away from their own double standards. Women are sexually harassed and sexually assaulted on school campuses, on the street, at their jobs, on the Internet, in their own homes, in ANY public place. And it has been excused or ignored for so long because of what you and I are taught from the first years of our interactions with each other: You, as a male, are not accountable for your own actions. It's MY responsibility, as a female, to not "provoke" you. But then you get to Knight-In-Shining-Armor your way through life for those in your protected categories and I am expected to applaud you. Why the outrage now over bathrooms? Why aren't you outraged every single day?

If you're telling me that there are high volumes of boys and men out there, in schools or in general, who are just waiting for a "loop hole" to sexually assault girls and women, we have bigger problems on our hands than bathrooms. The first problem would be your apparent lack of knowledge of how often it happens OUTSIDE of bathrooms, with no "loop holes" needed. This isn't about Transgender bathroom access. This is about you not trusting the boys and men in your communities and/or fearing that they're all secretly predators. Why do you have this fear? How many fathers have panicked when their daughters started dating because they "know how teenaged boys can be because they used to be one"? How many times have girls been warned "boys are only after one thing"? A mother can bring her young son into the women's restroom and that's fine but a father bringing his young daughter into the men's restroom is disturbing because men are assumed to be predators and "little girls" shouldn't be exposed to that.

So instead of picking up your sword and heading to Target or the girls' locker room to defend our "rights", why don't you start somewhere that could actually make a difference? Challenge your children's schools to end sexist dress codes and dress codes that sexualize girls as young as age 5. Advocate for proper (or any) sex education classes in all public schools by a certain grade level. Focus more on teaching your sons not to rape vs teaching your daughters how to avoid being raped. Stop asking "How would you feel if that was your mother or sister?" It shouldn't take the comparison to clue you in to what's right or wrong. Question why you're more worried about your daughter being around men than your son being around women in bathrooms and dressing rooms. Stop walking by Victoria's Secret with no problem but covering your son's eyes if a woman is breastfeeding in public. Stop treating your daughter's body as some fortress you're sworn to protect as if that's all she's got to offer the world.

Author: Kasey Rose-Hodge

The kids and I went to Target last night. There were no crazy people roaming the aisles, but it was significantly less busy. The lack of people there, was kind of unsettling. My kids even noticed it, and asked what was going on.

So I told them about the "Target TG Bathroom Debacle", which involved into an entire conversation about transgender people. To make a long story short, my kids think some adults are stupid and mean (to which I totally agreed with them). They were also kind of peeved, that said adults, don't seem to care what happens to THEM in public bathrooms (since all TG people are raping and pillaging in the ladies room /end sarcasm).

On 5/23/2016 at 11:10 AM, paganbaby said:

Someone tells one of these idiots to mind his own fucking business.

Yeah I was just on my way here to post that video myself.  I love how someone got in his face instead of letting him spew his foul liquid horseshit all over the store.  I especially loved how the Target employees showed that jackhole the door.  That's what needs to happen with these reich wing freaks is that the moment they start harassing others they need to be shown the goddamn door, and if they resist call the cops and have them arrested.  Target should take that video and use it to train all their people on how to deal with reich wing freaks.

On 5/20/2016 at 9:26 AM, 19 cats and counting said:

The right to pee is a strange civil right to fight for, but holding it has some serious health consequences (such as UTI).  

Because of the Senator Larry "Tappy Toes McWidestance" Craig debacle the Twin Cities airport remodeled bathrooms to short circuit guys who wanted to widestance it into neighboring stalls, putting in stalls that reached down to the floor.

Archived