IGNORED

Our guests for the summer

MarblesMom

I am so excited for this year's installment of summer lawnmowers sheep!  They are so fun to watch - and they gladly eat veggie and fruit scraps! 

fb sheepies.jpg

36 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

I am so excited for this year's installment of summer lawnmowers sheep!  They are so fun to watch - and they gladly eat veggie and fruit scraps! 

fb sheepies.jpg

I love me some sheep. I just saw a field full of spring lambs a month or so ago. SQUEE! I wanted to pull over and entice them over to the fence so I could pet them.

If I had these guys for lawmowers, I'd be out in my yard on the daily cuddling and loving on them. :romance-grouphug:

Well, I take them veggies every night, and I can hand feed them (this batch has to get "ewesed" to me first) - but cuddling and loving, aside from a head pat, is out - they get fleas and ticks (ick) and they also tend to lay in their poop, which then covers them... (ick).

They are entertaining as all get-out, though!

And lambies are the best, they way they bounce thru the fields!

I saw that the Reagan Library in Simi Valley,CA has let loose a herd of 50 goats in the scrub land to help abate the fire danger. Wish I could have 1 to do the job in my back yard. Can't get ahead of the weeds. 

And I have to add a random comment from FB on the sheep:

"I saw something on tv this morning about tree-climbing goats. Do yours?"

Hmm.  I thought they were sheep.

On 5/16/2016 at 8:53 PM, MarblesMom said:

And I have to add a random comment from FB on the sheep:

"I saw something on tv this morning about tree-climbing goats. Do yours?"

Hmm.  I thought they were sheep.

The tree climbers are definitely goats. Goats do exactly what the sheep do and are cleaner. And when I had goats a big plus was that they ate the poison oak and the antibodies show up in the nannies' milk. My human kids never got poison oak even though there was tons of it around. Thank you girl goats.

OK, what's the red spot on the head?---some sort of anti-tick treatment? Indication that this one has been dosed with wormer or something already?

@samira_catloverThe spray paint/marking on their foreheads is for inventory.... who has been wormed, vaccinated, not had lambies, etc.

They have already lost their "Scarlet Letters" and are completely snowy (cept for poo) now  :)

On 5/21/2016 at 4:08 PM, Lillybee said:

Goats do exactly what the sheep do and are cleaner.

Goats are also better parents. That saying/song about sheep going to heaven and goats going to hell is so true on so many levels.  Sheep are ... not great. Granted,  I'm comparing mountain sheep (Dall sheep)  to mountain goats.

Not that I'm complaining about the pictures.  @MarblesMom . I'll squeeze at just about any animal. :)

Love me some Cake, MM1!!!  

I like our new guests - we are getting acquainted.  Two more will arrive once they wean their babies.

• 2 months later...

Sheep update:  the ladies now call ME when they see me, and expect treats.  They came running over when they saw me tonight.  Pretty awesome.

The down side:  they are really brown and covered in mud right now.  Don't know what they were rolling in, but they are NOT white anymore.

And... they have not shrunk, not even in strong storms.

On 8/12/2016 at 0:47 AM, MarblesMom said:

Sheep update:  the ladies now call ME when they see me, and expect treats.  They came running over when they saw me tonight.  Pretty awesome.

They know who their buddy is! They sure sound like a lot of fun.

Archived