IGNORED

Documentary: Virgin Tales

mrs

I watched it on showtime on demand...sorry! Does anyone know if it's on the Internet somewhere?

I can't find it, and I really, really want to watch it. We don't have Showtime so no Showtime on Demand for me. :(

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saying that if someone who has the ability to watch it online could use a program to capture it and then post it on youtube under a name like Jinger VT or something that it would be GREATLY appreciated... just sayin'. (seems that canadians can see it online at the cbc website too)

While we are on the subject, not sure if anyone on here has seen/mentioned this documentary, in a similar vein but does not seem to mention the same family:

It's a few years old now and I don't know if it's been on TV.

I'm watching it now and totally agree about the squick factor. I'd also like to add that I feel super sorry for the little brother. His parts of the doc make it very clear that such rigid gender roles are harmful for boys as well as girls. That Manhood Ceremony? No pressure, lil' dude.

While we are on the subject, not sure if anyone on here has seen/mentioned this documentary, in a similar vein but does not seem to mention the same family:

It's a few years old now and I don't know if it's been on TV.

I have looked for "Daddy I Do" in the past.I am super interested in both documentaries.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was watching this movie today and my husband looks at me and says "WTF swords?"

I wonder if father Wilson will council Josh Duggar at the FRC? Perhaps he will lead Josh to allow Anna to wear pants. The Wilson daughters are shown in jeans.

I just watched the documentary and the family immediately pinged my fundie radar. A quick google search of the father led me to the Family Research Council (of course!).

A few thoughts on it:

I felt the main family was way less fundie than most families we discuss here. Their daughters wear pants (!!), do ballet, and one of their son's met his spouse at at Patrick Henry College (!!). They are practically heathens by Maxwell standards. Not even the Duggars would go that far.....

The purity balls, womanhood and manhood ceremonies were the highlight of the documentary. The balls themselves would be a great idea for father-daughter bonding if it wasn't so fixated on virginity. I could even get on board with something like this even if there was talk about about virginity----I just don't think the basis of the father-daughter relationship should be virginity. It really sets the girl up for a host of issues later on in life.

The film also showed two "rite of passage" ceremonies, one for the youngest daughter and a second for their youngest son. The ceremonies were imbued with stupid, Dougie-like dramatics and props (i.e medieval weapons?) and theatrics that you'd find in a school play. However, I found myself appreciating the general sentiment of these ceremonies; i.e a celebration of the child's entry into adulthood with family and friends. It's not a bad idea for families to throw a party for family and friends and encourage a child to start taking adult responsibilities. I just hate the fixation on daughters' purity and on sons to be 'warriors'. Seriously, who talks like that in this day and age?

The family did a little better than the Duggars on homeschooling but still pretty heavy on Bible study. At least they encouraged their son to attend college, even though their daughter avoided college, aspiring to be a SAHD. Interestingly, the family was pretty happy with the son's bride, who was a college graduate (Patrick Henry) herself.

I liked that the documentary let the family narrate their story. There's no voice-over. At the end, there's a story card that points out people who make Purity Ball promises have premarital sex at the same rate as those who do not, but that they are less likely to use condoms. I only wished they mentioned where they got this statistic because it otherwise gives an appearance of bias by the filmmakers.

Overall, the documentary was quite good. As a fundie follower, it hit all the high notes (SAHD, purity pledges, SOTDRT). I wish it was available at a public outlet such as PBS. It's a must-watch for all Free Jinger members!

I'm home sick and my valium addled brain demands fundie documentaries. Why the heck can't we watch this online yet?!?! I'd even be willing to buy it on itunes or vudu. Sigh.

I discovered that I do in fact get this On Demand so I watched it today.

I found it somewhat ironic that the daughter said "I don't want to waste thousands of dollars on an education I won't use" when her brother met his wife in college. Someplace like Patrick Henry would seem like it would be a great place for her to meet a husband.

I thought Jordan/Jordyn? looked a little sad at times. Especially when she was talking about how her Mom had had four kids in four years and that the joke was that they would all get married within four years of each other. I think part of her is a little miffed that hasn't happened for her.

I've just realized that I was only half watching it so I'll probably have to actually watch it at some point because I missed out on some of the stuff other posters have mentioned.

ETA: I remembered my questions. In the end they quoted the 40% of Americans believe in creationism. I've heard that statistic before but where does it come from and what does it mean? What were they defining as creationism? I'm assuming it is not the earth is 5000 years old version of creationism.

A good friend of mine, who was shocked to find that people like this actually exist, happened to show me this video this morning... NSFW

The girls in white ballet dresses just made me go hmmmmmmmm. :lol: I showed her the trailer linked in the OP and she was rightfully disgusted.

I am watching this thing, and only about 10 min in. The interview with Hannah with her dad being right there reminds me of a ventriloquist act.

Jessica just made me cry with her story :(

Yes, "creepy" doesn't even begin to describe this.

The biggest take-away I had was that these people think intimacy = sex = intimacy. And that they think your heart is a finite part of you that can be depleted by forging "unnecessary and unintentional" emotional connections with other people.

As fucked up as my childhood was, I am so grateful that the purity movement was just emerging when I was teen and so I escaped most of it. And also, my dad was never around so it wouldn't have worked anyway :|

I am watching this thing, and only about 10 min in. The interview with Hannah with her dad being right there reminds me of a ventriloquist act.

Jessica just made me cry with her story :(

Neither one of Hannah's parents are giving her an inch of space. Her mother is literally smothering her during their interview; I wanted to jump into the scene and push her away. Poor girl has dead eyes. No spark. No personality.

These people are awful.

I was Googling "School of Grace" and on their website I found out that Jordyn is married now. So she did eventually get her man.

schoolofgrace.org/about-jordyn.html

Anyone know what happened to the rest of these girls after the filming -- like Hannah, for instance, who parroted lines her parents obviously fed her? I guess Khrystian Wilson (now Lewis) got married after a whirlwind courtship.

I was Googling "School of Grace" and on their website I found out that Jordyn is married now. So she did eventually get her man.

schoolofgrace.org/about-jordyn.html

Her younger brother grew up to be a total nutter. He runs a "school" too and likes to wear lots of costumes.

Her younger brother grew up to be a total nutter. He runs a "school" too and likes to wear lots of costumes.

I thought he seemed pretty creepy in the documentary going on about the virginity of his sisters, and that video really disturbs me for some reason. I think it is because people are paying to send their young boys to an incredibly sheltered and probably disturbed 17 year-old to learn about honor from costumes and random quotes. Did his video even define "honor?" (I've had a few glasses of wine so I may have missed it. )

Archived