IGNORED

Rocco and bone cancer

Gossamer1

@Gossamer1, just wanted you to know that I am sharing Rocco's story with a friend who just had her Saint Bernard  dxed with early osteo.  The decisions are so hard and you talking about your experiences here is very important for other dog owners.

Thank you for sharing.  And congratulations on caring for Rocco throughout.  There is a lot of nursing involved.

And, it goes without saying, go Rocco! :animals-dogrun:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

@Gossamer1, just wanted you to know that I am sharing Rocco's story with a friend who just had her Saint Bernard  dxed with early osteo.  The decisions are so hard and you talking about your experiences here is very important for other dog owners.

Thank you for sharing.  And congratulations on caring for Rocco throughout.  There is a lot of nursing involved.

And, it goes without saying, go Rocco! :animals-dogrun:

I'm glad to help! Rocco's last chemo is Wednesday!

9 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

I'm glad to help! Rocco's last chemo is Wednesday!

Hooray for Rocco! I hope it goes well.

Rocco's last chemo was this morning!  As always, he was a trooper. The hospital where he gets his treatment always takes a graduation photo, gives a bandana and a diploma at the end of chemo.   Doesn't he look proud?

FB_IMG_1474483809117.jpg

Aw, Rocco.  :romance-inlove:

Live long and prosper my brave and furry friend.

2 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

He is a very handsome boy  :)

I hit the wrong button and accidentally downvoted your comment. I think I fixed it, but just in case...SORRY!

Oh, and thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently at the animal hospital with Rocco. His shoulder has become extremely painful.  He was shreiking the way he did when he was having the phantom pain.  They had to bring him in on a gurney. They are going to try to get his pain under control before they start with the tests.

It could be arthritis or some other injury.  It could be the unthinkable.  Please think happy thoughts for Rocco!

I am very sad to report that it was the unthinkable.  The x-rays showed the cancer spread throughout his chest. I made the decision to let him go.  

I know I made the right decision but my heart is broken. 

Thoughts and peace be with you @Gossamer1. I had to let my sweet kitten furbaby go 2 weeks ago today. I share your pain and send you healing memories.  With ❤️

I'm so sorry for your loss. The two of you put up such a good fight.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about this.  You definitely did the right thing.  What a sad time it is.  I hope Sophie is ok and that you all can comfort each other as you move through this hard time.  :group-hug:

@Gossamer1, I am so very sorry.  You made the right decision to let Rocco go but it is always so hard.

You and Sophie are in my thoughts.

18 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

I am very sad to report that it was the unthinkable.  The x-rays showed the cancer spread throughout his chest. I made the decision to let him go.  

I know I made the right decision but my heart is broken. 

@Gossamer1, I'm so sorry. Godspeed sweet Rocco. Hugs to you and Sophie.

I'm so sorry, @Gossamer1.  Rocco was a beautiful dog and was lucky to be so loved by you. It is such a heartbreaking outcome.

@Gossamer1 I am just now seeing this.  My heart just breaks for you.  I know he is now out of pain and at peace.  May many wonderful memories help ease your pain.  Hugs to you.  :tw_heart:

Thank you all for the kind words. It's been a rough couple of days.

Sophie is definitely off her game. When I came home that night Sophie gave me the sniff over of my life. I think she understood that he wouldn't be coming home. I had Rocco's leash and collar in my car. The next day when Sophie jumped in the backseat she smelled his collar and almost jumped back.

I took her to doggie day care Wednesday and Friday afternoon so she wouldn't be alone all day. He appetite is returning to normal as well.

9 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

Thank you all for the kind words. It's been a rough couple of days.

Sophie is definitely off her game. When I came home that night Sophie gave me the sniff over of my life. I think she understood that he wouldn't be coming home. I had Rocco's leash and collar in my car. The next day when Sophie jumped in the backseat she smelled his collar and almost jumped back.

I took her to doggie day care Wednesday and Friday afternoon so she wouldn't be alone all day. He appetite is returning to normal as well.

Poor Sophie. It's nice you can take her to day care. I'm glad her appetite is improving.

Archived