IGNORED

Food Budget

amazing707

On 5/15/2016 at 0:56 AM, Geechee Girl said:

I'm in SoCal, and my budget is $50-60/wk (including wine) for 2 adults and our feline headship. I shop at multiple stores, and rarely ever venture into the big box supermarkets. The key to getting more bang for the buck is to shop around the perimeter of stores. Also, my best kept secret is to shop in ethnic stores. The staples (rice, masa, tea, spices, beans, grains, etc) are so much cheaper. I get the bulk of my produce from the stores which cater to the Hispanic community, like Northgate and Numero Uno. Granted, this produce isn't free of blemishes or highly glossed. I buy seafood from Asian markets with working counters of live and fresh seafood, cleaned to order. 99 Ranch & H-Mart carry a wide variety of produce not commonly found in western supermarkets. The 99cent store is hit or miss, but some weeks I find butter lettuce which is pricey at supermarkets. Their ripe fruit is perfect for jam and smoothies.

@amazing707 Check out the ethnic markets in your hood. 

I don't use coupons. I make most of my condiments besides hot sauce, sambal, misste.o, and curry pa

Last night SIL grilled and grandson D3 (who is 9) made the best Italian dressing for a salad he made using french cut green beans(drained), artichoke hearts (drained, rinsed, drained again and patted dry) and a few ripe tomatoes.  The salad was colorful, the dressing just right and he was one very proud young man.  Getting kids to eat foods they have prepared makes them a less fussy eater.  Any comments on this?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@NewOrleansLady Most definitely having the kids in the kitchen make for less picky eaters is true in my home. I've encouraged Miss GG to master of her own creations since she was knee-high to a grasshopper. Now she's not afraid to experiment with cooking techniques and flavor profiles. Kudos to your grandson! Salad dressings are a great way to test the waters by making a different version each time. Allowing them to make mistakes is part of the growing process. There are hits and misses in every kitchen.

My rule for the home is one should try a food prepared 3 different ways before writing it off. I've found the cooking preparation contributes much to the flavor and mouthfeel. For example, Miss GG isn't keen on okra in gumbo or stewed with tomatoes. However, battered in cornmeal and fried, it's a go.   

I'm in South Carolina and I spend between 80-100 a week on groceries. We do about half organic and half not. A lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. It's just my husband and I. 

I buy rice in bulk. Make bigger batches of food so my husband and I have leftovers for lunches. I also buy chicken in bulk... get a pack of 6 chicken breasts for between 10-12 dollars and split them up and immediately freeze them. Lasts three meals for us. 

12 hours ago, NewOrleansLady said:

Getting kids to eat foods they have prepared makes them a less fussy eater.  Any comments on this?

It's certainly worked with my kids. Beyond cooking with them, planting and harvesting a garden (or visiting/volunteering at a CSA farm) helps, as well, and not just kids!  I had never eaten kohlrabi, turnips, and garlic scapes (to mention a few items) before belonging to a CSA. Now they're all family favorites that we grow in our own garden.

I was at a 4H event a couple weeks ago and two 12-yo girls attached themselves to my 14-yo boy, which was cute. I brought ingredients for guacamole so I could give everyone (about 50 people) a snack in the evening. I asked the kids to help and they were willing, especially when I said I wanted them to "smoosh" - they thought that was funny.

So I got them going, smooshing the avocados, then adding some seasoning. I had one of them taste test (the other was allergic to tomatoes, which I unknowingly added) - did it seem right yet? First time, she said it was bland, so we adjusted. Next time, not quite spicy enough - adjusted. Finally, just right.

I served it, with an announcement that the kids had made it and that Taster had finalized the seasoning. It was a huge hit!

Funny thing was, I talked to Taster's mom and she though it was hilarious! Turns out Taster had NEVER eaten an avocado before that night :-)

So yes, I think helping to prepare, plant, water, and harvest food helps children overcome their natural tendency to avoid different foods.

Nebraska, two adults. I spend no more than $60 a week at the grocery store and that includes non-food items like sandwich bags, toilet paper, etc... and greens for the bunny. Husband buys his own soda and chips because I eat neither. We buy some meat and poultry at Sam's as well as sparkling water, a few staples like canned veggies, and juice so that is a bit extra added to that budget. 

We eat dinner out generally once a week and eat breakfast out once or twice a month after church. 

We have a lot of fresh produce. In the winter, we eat soup more than anything else which stretches meat and poultry a lot. Husband is a meat eater. I can cut two chicken breasts for chicken noodle soup and get three meals or more from one big pot or cook two for one meal. The first is much better for the budget. I also like one pot recipes to stretch meat and get more vegetables in his diet in warm weather months (fruit is not a problem...can barely keep that in the house). I have a one pot recipe cookbook which has a lot of processed stuff in the recipes--like boxes of pasta-a-roni and such. I usually substitute plain pasta and use my own spices, add extra veggies and then note in the book what works best for next time. 

Metro NY. I generally keep it under $140/week for the 5 of us. No coupons or shopping in bulk (we don't have the space for storing massive quantities of food). Mainly, I don't buy a heck of a lot of snack foods (usually just a bag of popcorn seeds, a big box of Goldfish, a box of Triscuits, and a box of graham crackers), no juice or soda. Meals are usually Mediterranean style: mostly grains and veggies, small to moderate amounts of meat or fish, very small amounts of nuts and oils. Dessert and snacks are usually things like fruit, yogurt, cheese.  

(Subset topic-Summer lunches for the kiddies and others)

Like many of you I will have kids in the house for the summer.  The grands live the next street over, DD works 11-6:30 on M,W,F. and SIl works the same days 4 a.m. till about 3 p.m. (he's a commercial fisherman)  Usually the grands are here from 10-3.  Sometimes we feed them breakfast and lunch and sometimes only lunch.

My suggestions for summer lunches are:

Peanut butter and jelly   (a fave)   sub Philly cream cheese if allergic to peanuts

Tuna salad on hot dog bun

Grilled cheese with lettuce/tomato salad   (In winter split pea soup (homemade) to go with sandwich)

Egg salad on hamburger buns

Tacos (a treat)

I serve them iced tea (just don't add a lot of sugar and use  real lemon)  Tea contains a lot of good for you chemicals and they enjoy it hot or cold)

Milk is offered but they seem to prefer tea maybe because the milk sits a little heavy on their tummies.  Kool-ade is ( to me ) a lot of wasted calories of no healthy  benefits)8 & 9.

For dessert fruit is always offered. I have found that they eat more fruit if 1/2 servings are offered.  They seem to waste a whole apple but will eat two of the 1/2  servings during the day

Both Sissy and D3 are getting into cooking more (Adult supervision, of course) and they have learned grilled cheese, hard cooked eggs for both salads and pb&j.  Coming up this summer are crock pot beans, chicken and pork tenderloin.  Pretty good for kids 8 and 9.

Always on the hunt for you favorite budget lunches for kids (and adults).  YOUR SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

22 hours ago, NewOrleansLady said:

Always on the hunt for you favorite budget lunches for kids (and adults).  YOUR SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

What's wrong with just water? 

Pasta salads are usually pretty popular in the summer. Chilled pasta with dressings and veggies. 

I'm also not seeing a lot veggies on your menu. You could just keep chopped veggies (carrots, celery, peppers, etc) for snacks as well. 

As far as spices go (which can make or break a meal), consider looking elsewhere for them.

At Aldi (which I started shopping at because of the Duggars), all spices are 99 cents.  Nutmeg is 99 cents for 1.25 oz vs $4.59 for .09 oz at Wegman's.  

Also there's a store called Christmas Tree Shop, which despite their name, sells more than Christmas trees.  They also have good deals on spices.

I also think this forum needs a frugal recipe thread.

3 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

As far as spices go (which can make or break a meal), consider looking elsewhere for them.

I order spices from Penzey's, they are top quality with huge variety. There are frequent free shipping and gift with purchase specials. They also publish a catalog with lots of recipes, it reads more like a magazine.

23 hours ago, NewOrleansLady said:

Tacos (a treat)

Just posted a taco/burrito/chili recipe in the recipe thread.   

Thank you.  D3 and I are making homemade taco spice mix.  I'll probably add it to more than tacos.  Got to do something to the .39 per pound chicken legs and thighs.

3 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I wouldn't serve iced tea to young ones. It has caffeine. 

Yes, it does.  But it also has some powerful antioxidants and it contains less caffeine than most sodas ( a no-no at memaws house)

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

What's wrong with just water? 

Pasta salads are usually pretty popular in the summer. Chilled pasta with dressings and veggies. 

I'm also not seeing a lot veggies on your menu. You could just keep chopped veggies (carrots, celery, peppers, etc) for snacks as well. 

The kiddies drink a lot of water.  We live in the deep south and water is a must.  The kids eat a lot of raw veggies.  The suggestions were just for mains.and they are usually only here for lunch.  They love pasta and veggies but not together  (strange isn't it?).

Unless you are brewing it from whole leaves, their aren't going to be many antioxidants in the average glass of iced tea. And if you are, as most southerners do in my experience, serving it with sugar, you aren't that much ahead of Kool-aid. I just can't fathom giving children iced tea. 

And an 8 oz glass of black tea has 47 mgs of caffeine while a 12 oz can of Coca-Cola has 32 mgs. You might want to rethink this. 

My kids really liked "monkey plates" when they were younger. I'd give them each a plate or muffin tin filled with a little bit of several fruits and veg - whatever was in season plus at least one new/different item like jicama, star fruit, baked/breaded zucchini fries, etc. - a few cubes each of meat/cheese and/or a roll-up sandwich cut into sushi-size bites, some crackers or pita or chips or rice or pasta, and a dip or sauce of some sort (hummus, ranch, honey dijon, teriyaki, etc.). It's cheap because you use whatever you have, and you're not serving much of any one thing.

Even now that they're teens and mostly make their own lunches, they love it when I set out pizza dough (or pita) along with an assortment of toppings. Same with tacos/burritos/tostadas.

Monkey plates sound wonderful.  I have some plastic plates with monkeys on them.  What a great thought to serve them monkey meals on monkey plates.  LOL

I'm not sure I can be of any practical help.  I shop for myself and my son, and I think I average between $70 to $120 per week (that includes non-grocery items like cat food and/or cat litter as needed, garbage bags, paper towels and the like).

I am diabetic, and eat low carb, high fat.  That means I don't eat out much, because most restaurant meals are going to have too many carbohydrates. 

@NewOrleansLady I didn't see mention of the age of the children. Are they adventurous eaters? Long list ahead...

Our summer meals included items which could be served room temp or chilled. gazpacho, borscht w/sour cream, frittatas, muffin tin crustless quiche, falafel, open-faced avocado sandwiches, black bean burgers w/sweet potato fries, tuna salad, panzanella salad, fruit salad, quick pickled veggie plate, salmon croquettes, roasted veg in pita pockets w/pesto, baba ganoush, and all manner of dips with crudite or chilled roasted veggies. Any leftover veg at the end of the week became the basis for fried rice. 

On 5/19/2016 at 0:08 PM, louisa05 said:

Unless you are brewing it from whole leaves, their aren't going to be many antioxidants in the average glass of iced tea. And if you are, as most southerners do in my experience, serving it with sugar, you aren't that much ahead of Kool-aid. I just can't fathom giving children iced tea. 

And an 8 oz glass of black tea has 47 mgs of caffeine while a 12 oz can of Coca-Cola has 32 mgs. You might want to rethink this. 

Right? 12 ounces of iced tea has, on average, 70 mgs of caffeine. Jolt - the energy drink that is know for having the most caffeine - has 73. 

Especially in the South, in hot weather. Caffeine accelerate dehydration. And kids are smaller (so less caffeine will affect them) and they (hopefully) haven't had the same exposure, so that's another factor in how even a tiny bit will give them increased heart rate. Too much and you get nausea and dehydration. 

4 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Right? 12 ounces of iced tea has, on average, 70 mgs of caffeine. Jolt - the energy drink that is know for having the most caffeine - has 73. 

Especially in the South, in hot weather. Caffeine accelerate dehydration. And kids are smaller (so less caffeine will affect them) and they (hopefully) haven't had the same exposure, so that's another factor in how even a tiny bit will give them increased heart rate. Too much and you get nausea and dehydration. 

I don't get it at all. 

But I know a lot of people who harbor the notion that tea is always better. A friend of mine trying to cut sugar and caffeine decided to give up her 32 oz daily soda break and trade it for 32 oz of sweet tea because that would be healthier---she bought it at McD's and wouldn't believe anyone who explained to her that she was actually getting more sugar and caffeine. 

I gave up caffeine completely because it bothers my stomach--huge reflux and gastritis trigger. 

13 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I gave up caffeine completely because it bothers my stomach--huge reflux and gastritis trigger. 

I'm dealing with these as well.  I hadn't focused on caffeine as a trigger because I don't take in much -- no soda (maybe once a year I indulge in a ginger ale or vanilla cream soda or root beer).  I avg maybe 1 cup coffee/day.  It's a comfort habit, not an addiction, so I could go without or make it a once-a-month treat.  Tea is maybe a weekly thing for me, and I'm just as happy with herbal, so that's easy.  But -- chocolate!  Again I don't eat a lot of it, but regularly, yes!  I have a bit of a sweet tooth so I'm sure I could find replacement treats that didn't have chocolate.  But - darn!  Next time it flares up, I will do a no-caffeine test and see what happens.

Just now, church_of_dog said:

I'm dealing with these as well.  I hadn't focused on caffeine as a trigger because I don't take in much -- no soda (maybe once a year I indulge in a ginger ale or vanilla cream soda or root beer).  I avg maybe 1 cup coffee/day.  It's a comfort habit, not an addiction, so I could go without or make it a once-a-month treat.  Tea is maybe a weekly thing for me, and I'm just as happy with herbal, so that's easy.  But -- chocolate!  Again I don't eat a lot of it, but regularly, yes!  I have a bit of a sweet tooth so I'm sure I could find replacement treats that didn't have chocolate.  But - darn!  Next time it flares up, I will do a no-caffeine test and see what happens.

I switched to decaf coffee. I have it a few times a week. That after a huge daily coffee habit.  A great book I found says that milk chocolate is okay, dark chocolate has been proven to be a trigger. 

I highly recommend the book called The Acid Reflux Solution by Jorge Rodriguez. The three biggest changes I made based on it were no caffeine, more fiber and 1.5 to 2 qts of water a day. Those three things have drastically reduced my symptoms and need for medication. 

4 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I switched to decaf coffee. I have it a few times a week. That after a huge daily coffee habit.  A great book I found says that milk chocolate is okay, dark chocolate has been proven to be a trigger. 

I highly recommend the book called The Acid Reflux Solution by Jorge Rodriguez. The three biggest changes I made based on it were no caffeine, more fiber and 1.5 to 2 qts of water a day. Those three things have drastically reduced my symptoms and need for medication. 

Thanks, I appreciate the information!  I will read that book.  I'm usually pretty good about water (but not always).  Now need to start paying attention to fiber -- would not have thought about that being a gastritis trigger.  Thanks again! 

Archived