http://www.sltrib.com/home/3862919-155/former-child-bride-onetime-polygamous-trust

Former child bride Elissa Wall, who was forced to marry her 19-year-old cousin when she was just 14, has settled for $2.75m in the $40m lawsuit she brought against the FLDS trust. Life changing for her; still not sure it's received the publicity it deserved.

Not sure how I feel about this outcome. Regardless, I'm glad Elissa is healthy and happy and doesn't have children from that marriage to further complicate things.

ETA: I would love to see us have a Quiver Full of Fundamentalist Mormons sub forum. There is so much to talk about, but it does get rather lost in everything else when anything comes up here.

Wow. I agree I'm not sure how I feel either. Vindictively, I feel like she deserved so much more. Regardless, I hope she's at peace and can invest wisely to do very well from it.

Fuck the FLDS, and bless the lives they've hurt.

ETA: I'll float the quiverfull of fundamentalist Mormons sub forum!

Wow, Well done to her (although that's less than she asked for). I hope it works as an example for the rest of the cult.

Unfortunately, not all FLDS women who have escaped have as clear-cut grounds to sue as Elissa did, so it may not be a situation where leading by example is particularly impactful. Still, it's a victory of sorts.

This seems like a great way to bleed the real beast. I hope more are able to do it too. Maybe not for the same reason, but it's not like there's a shortage of options. It seems like everything they did may have left them liable. 

Good for her. I hope she actually sees the money. You know the FLDS is going to drag its feet in paying her.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow. I just bought her book!  I'd finished the one by her sister, Rebecca and was just floored.  I'm glad she got some retribution...for what it's worth. 

4 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Wow. I just bought her book!  I'd finished the one by her sister, Rebecca and was just floored.  I'm glad she got some retribution...for what it's worth. 

If you're interested in Rebecca and Elissa's stories, you should also watch this video. It's an almost two-hour interview with their sister, Teressa (misspelled Theresa in the youtube title). I can't recommend it enough.

@withaj thank you!  I was captivated when Warren was finally caught, I hoped and hoped for him to be put away forever.  I saw online yesterday where there was a Dr. Phil episode where he had Rebecca and their father on in regard to her book.  In the comments forum for the show a lot of people were pushing the point about the discrepancies between the girls' books.  The only thing I've noticed so far is names....but to me that can be explained.  The girls being so far apart in age and time period in the goings on, either one of them could have heard their father and sister-mom be referred to by different names due to the needs to hide.  Or....in one book or the other, one daughter may not have gotten the release's signed and was forced to use similar names instead of real life ones.

Just now, Imrlgoddess said:

@withaj thank you!  I was captivated when Warren was finally caught, I hoped and hoped for him to be put away forever.  I saw online yesterday where there was a Dr. Phil episode where he had Rebecca and their father on in regard to her book.  In the comments forum for the show a lot of people were pushing the point about the discrepancies between the girls' books.  The only thing I've noticed so far is names....but to me that can be explained.  The girls being so far apart in age and time period in the goings on, either one of them could have heard their father and sister-mom be referred to by different names due to the needs to hide.  Or....in one book or the other, one daughter may not have gotten the release's signed and was forced to use similar names instead of real life ones.

I believe Elissa's book uses pseudonyms for nearly everyone. Rebecca's uses accurate names.

As I recall, it was a privacy measure, not a forced choice. 

2 minutes ago, withaj said:

I believe Elissa's book uses pseudonyms for nearly everyone. Rebecca's uses accurate names.

That sounds about right, Elissa's book came out first and it was before the boom was lowered on all the leaders.

On 6/14/2016 at 4:00 PM, withaj said:

I think that's a common practice to protect those who have relatives still in the FLDS.  I think Sam Brower used a pseudonym for Rebecca in "Prophet's Prey," and that's relatively recent.

On 6/14/2016 at 4:42 PM, Imrlgoddess said:

Came here to say exactly that. Finished the book last night. Unbelievable, especially her mother's comments - "I would rather see my children in the grave than go against the Priesthood."

Archived