IGNORED

Fundie Retreat to Marry Off Children ~ Vaughn Ohlman

Leftitinmysnood

I'm half tempted to email and ask if a young Catholic woman is welcome. I would love to know what the response to that would be. 

Then again, I don't want those wackos to have my email address. 

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing is for damn sure, my husband was was never like a brother to me before we married. WTH? That's all kinds of fucked up thinking.

So what age do they think people should get married? They quote a bunch of stuff that says 12 year old girls are ready to be married, and then say no, they don't actually approve of it. 

5 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

So what age do they think people should get married? They quote a bunch of stuff that says 12 year old girls are ready to be married, and then say no, they don't actually approve of it. 

It sure seems like don't (but, wink, wink really DO) approve of pre-teens getting married. They're not putting ages out there because it would be encouraging illegal marriages.

Does anyone know if this group is all about being "married in the eyes of God" and against legal marriage because of teh gheys? I'm hopping on the ISB to wonder if there are very young teens getting "married" in their group based on their toxic teachings.

29 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

One thing is for damn sure, my husband was was never like a brother to me before we married. WTH? That's all kinds of fucked up thinking.

There's actually some kind of psychological thing -- I can't remember the official name -- where boys and girls who grow up together in a sibling relationship do not "normally" feel any sexual attraction to each other.

I wonder if the incest known to happen in quiverfull families is more a power thing, or related to the unnatural treatment of sexuality?

There are a lot of things that seem weird about this stuff when you get a little distance - but when you are "in" it - it seems all perfectly legit :/ I've been there.

Mr. Ohlman has a seriously unhealthy obsession with adolescent performance of what P.G. Wodehouse termed "the old oompus-boompus."

Can I assume this retreat is TLC's next special? 

Well, this seems... normal. This is what happens when you never let your children go off the fundie farm.

I'd love to know the ages of the attendees. I'm betting mid to late 20s. Clock's ticking. 

12 hours ago, Jucifer said:

And check out that sinister figure in the middle background. Is it someone sneaking up on them or is it just a clump of dark weeds?  Is it a spy making a list of their misdeeds so they can be punished later? 

:o

image.jpg

That's Mike Pearl, actually.

When I read this stuff, I am so, so thankful that I got out long before the fundy world devolved into this much insanity. Yes, it was batshit even back then, but no one was selling their daughters in those days. Girls were marrying right out of high school and reproducing as soon as possible, but they DID at least have the ability to choose their partners. My parents saw me as hopeless because I *wasn't* married early. I think they were secretly relieved when I finally did get married (at 27, which, let's face it, is still pretty early) even if it wasn't to a fundy.

If I'd been born 20 years later, I could easily see them dragging me along to some kind of crazy retreat like this and passing me off to some much-older fundy creep who'd have kept me barefoot and pregnant. *shudder* These poor, poor girls.

1 hour ago, CloakNDagger said:

There are a lot of things that seem weird about this stuff when you get a little distance - but when you are "in" it - it seems all perfectly legit :/ I've been there.

Yes!  It took me quite a while to understand that even though I did get some good Christian teaching growing up, there was also some pretty strange stuff mixed up in there.  And it all seemed so normal at the time.

So will Jill take  Nurie & Tim (Rodrigues) to this retreat? The whole family can try and sing for entertainment (like 1/2 the other families, the other 1/2 will try shilling essential oils)

25 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

So will Jill take  Nurie & Tim (Rodrigues) to this retreat? The whole family can try and sing for entertainment (like 1/2 the other families, the other 1/2 will try shilling essential oils)

She will only take them if they comped as part of the "entertainment."

22 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

In all broad mindedness, they accept that daughters may come without a headship, but a young man interested in pursuing her must speak to one of the staff about his intentions.

So a random Christian man who doesn't even know the girl can decide if a young man who's interested in her has the right intentions?!? 

What the the flying fuck!?

7 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

So a random Christian man who doesn't even know the girl can decide if a young man who's interested in her has the right intentions?!? 

What the the flying fuck!?

Well duh. The only requirements are a profession of faith and a penis! Actually the main thing is the penis really.

Just now, libriatrix said:

Well duh. The only requirements are a profession of faith and a penis! Actually the main thing is the penis really.

I really shouldn't be surprised but it's just infuriating regardless

This whole scenario, aside from the mention of marriage, reminds me of what would go on at an animal breeders' convention.

4 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I'm half tempted to email and ask if a young Catholic woman is welcome. I would love to know what the response to that would be. 

Then again, I don't want those wackos to have my email address. 

Ok which brave Catholic (or acting Catholic) is brave enough to take one for the FJ team and ask? :D

Vaughn Ohlman is probably one of the straight-up wackiest fundies. Google "Josh and Laura Ohlman." Vaughn met Laura's father and learned that he had an unmarried daughter the same age as Josh  (i.e. a teenager). The two fathers arranged the whole thing without the full knowledge of the kids. They had them write to each other about doctrinal issues but wouldn't tell them who they were writing to.  Josh eventually gets let in on the fact that he's about to marry someone, and decides to buy an engagement ring after Skyping with Laura's father, having never actually seen or spoken to Laura. Her father determined that "the betrothal would go forward" after a one on one meeting with Josh, with no indication that Laura was ever consulted. The pair first met at the time that the betrothal was to happen, and were "too nervous to talk to each other" until after the ceremony.

It also appears that Laura has a brand new blog. princecharmingdiapers.com

17 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Vaughn Ohlman is probably one of the straight-up wackiest fundies. Google "Josh and Laura Ohlman." Vaughn met Laura's father and learned that he had an unmarried daughter the same age as Josh  (i.e. a teenager). The two fathers arranged the whole thing without the full knowledge of the kids. 

Re: bolded. Please. You're making things seem much worse than they really were. :naughty:

Laura fundysplains in full just how it happened:

I should note that people often get the impression that we got married on blind faith, simply trusting that God would miraculously sort out any difficulties which came along afterwards. I think this is, in large part, a product of people’s own insecurities: they cannot imagine trusting in a vetting process in which they did not directly participate. But when I say “months” of communication went between the two fathers, I hope it’s obvious that we weren’t doing anything on “blind faith”.

Indeed, what really happened is that Joshua and I trusted our respective fathers to do the vetting for us… and to do a much better job than we could have done. Our dads weren’t dealing with raging hormones, crazy emotions, or an overwhelming desire to ignore important issues simply for the sake of getting married. My dad was able to take a serious look at Joshua’s character in a way I would have been unequipped (and unlikely) to do.

Oh, in Kansas. Sarah Maxwell should go. I mean, this being in the same state may well be god dropping a man in Steve's lap - exactly what he's waiting for. 

1) The ‘youth’ ready for marriage has breasts. A woman who is to be married is one who has breasts; breasts which signal her readiness for marriage, and breasts who promise enjoyment for her husband.

So, they pay a bride price and check them for big boobiez, that their menz will get pleasure from. :roll: Do they also check their teeth?

This sounds like the purchasing of animals or slaves in a slave market. :(

And, yeah, as someone commented upthread girls are getting breasts at younger and younger ages, so how old is old enough, pervy old men? 9? 10? 12?

Sicko perverts.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked this topic

Archived