IGNORED

The Bates before they were so shiny and perfect including grifting

formergothardite

40 minutes ago, tumblr said:

I ended up moving early so I'm up here now. It's really nice, I came from NC so I am loving the cooler temps right now! 

I noticed your fries at fast food restaurants are less salty, which is really very odd to me and that pedestrians don't wave to cars when crossing the street here. 

I will also recomend Cape May Zoo, it seems to specialize in baby animals and I caught I pikachu there so really a wonderful way to spend the afternoon! (Also it's a you choose what you pay situation.)

They wave here in Ohio, which I find super odd. In New Jersey, the law that you stop for pedestrians is taken super seriously, so I think people feel they need not thank you for avoiding them. Here when I stop, they act like I'm doing them a huge favor, when all I'm doing is following the law and not murdering people. It's a fair exchange, no need to thank me.

I hope you love New Jersey!

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When on vacation in London, we took an Uber back to the airport. Our driver had a serious hate for pedestrians in crosswalks and refused to slow down on approach. There was waving going on for sure, but not the friendly kind. :pb_razz: I tipped him a lot just to reward his restraint. Nice guy, fun ride, but being a party to murder would've really put a damper on the whole vacation! :pb_smile:

• 1 month later...
On 19/05/2016 at 0:03 AM, Fundie Bunny said:

Yep, pretty common around here. Not my cup of tea, but it's on the menu of most restaurants

yeah, we have it in England too, only it's called oxtail here. And we have tongue, liver and bacon (so good with mashed potatoes!), steak and kidney pie.

• 1 month later...

I was hardcore creeping back to the original Bates threads since I didn't follow any fundies back then and saw this picture of I think Callie from Gil's sister-in-law's blog (Greg Bateses family). I never could figure out exactly who Allie Jane Webster looks like, but damn, the girls are nearly twins (minus the age difference of course).

Capture.PNG

14 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I was hardcore creeping back to the original Bates threads since I didn't follow any fundies back then and saw this picture of I think Callie from Gil's sister-in-law's blog (Greg Bateses family). I never could figure out exactly who Allie Jane Webster looks like, but damn, the girls are nearly twins (minus the age difference of course).

Capture.PNG

Yes! I have always thought that Allie looks just like Callie! Now I see it's even more so than I thought. 

Allie and Callie.

Alyssa and Kelly.

Their names are just too similar if you ask me. I can see that in a family of this size finding nice baby names can be hard, but come on!!

But I have to agree - Allie really looks like Callie!

On 06/08/2016 at 3:12 AM, AnywhereButHere said:

When on vacation in London, we took an Uber back to the airport. Our driver had a serious hate for pedestrians in crosswalks and refused to slow down on approach. There was waving going on for sure, but not the friendly kind. :pb_razz: I tipped him a lot just to reward his restraint. Nice guy, fun ride, but being a party to murder would've really put a damper on the whole vacation! :pb_smile:

Recently we were in a taxi on a weekend trip and we definitely had a driver with the thought process of "Road rules and speed limits are for suckers!"

Still a $70AUD trip but I think the reason he may have been doing it is that the minute rate goes up at higher speeds. 

There's a very cute pic on their of Brandon looking after Callie & Ellie.  Considering how rare it is for fundy brothers to be seen playing/minding their sisters (though the Bates boys do more of it in pics than others), its impressive that in their pre TV show/frumper days they showed Brandon interacting with other people's littles.

{it may be the first fundy pic to make my ovaries twitch}  {I'm not leg humping - just pointing out that its a rare pic all the more impressive for that fact that its pre mainstream image era}

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:22 AM, Iokaste said:

Two posts down. It's from 2011 and Mama Keilen already has a distinct taste in hairstyles:

That's a tactful way of describing them...

On 11/24/2016 at 5:22 AM, Iokaste said:

Is this the first time, we hear about the Keilens?

Two posts down. It's from 2011 and Mama Keilen already has a distinct taste in hairstyles:
https://web.archive.org/web/20110817061300/http://gilbatesfamily.com/blog/ 

From previous times that I combed through the old blog I'm pretty sure it is the first time. There's a post not too long after that shows a lot of fellowship pictures and you can see the Keilans and Paines in the background .  There is also a clear attraction already apparent between Erin and Chad .  

2 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Mother Keilen's hair is the stuff of my nightmares.  I just do not UNDERSTAND.

This entire time I thought it was a wig! How does it stay like that?!

5 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Mother Keilen's hair is the stuff of my nightmares.  I just do not UNDERSTAND.

Back in the late '80s, I had a friend who had hair quite similar to Mama Keilen, except my friend's hair was curly. A mutual friend was became ill, we learned later from nicotine poisoning, and basically thought it was 1959. She didn't know any of us. All three of us were sitting in an exam room in the ER. The friend with Keilen hair stepped out to use the restroom, and the other woman leaned over to me and whispered, "I don't know who that is, but she has strange hair." I struggled to stop laughing in time to not offend the first woman. It was a moment of levity in a scary evening.

That is kind of hilarious. 

For real tho.... how do you decide to do that shit to yourself on purpose? She would be a very pretty woman if she just wore her hair naturally!

I ended up with unitentional Farrah Fawcett hair the other day. I wore it out, but am well aware it is not in fashion (no time to fix hair!)

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2016 at 11:08 AM, formergothardite said:

I know a lot of people think that the Bates and Duggars aren't really friends, but reading the old blog, I think they are because they do seem to mention the Duggars a lot in a way that seems like they are friends.

I love this post where people had asked the Bates for financial advice and Kelly responds by trying to sell them Gil's IBLP lectures about grifting. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20110121101710/http://gilbatesfamily.com/2011/01/14/cheaper-by-the-dozen/

There are also lots of mentions in the old blog of having to use the ER. Of course, they have no insurance, so they use the ER since they can't be turned away. 

Carlin had to tag along to care for Judson on their yearly anniversary trip*. Clearly Carlin was the buddy to Judson, but Kelly tries to play it off as it being a treat that Carlin had to go to care for the baby. It makes no sense for them to bring her to just buckle and unbuckle from the carseat. No she was brought along to care for him when he wasn't needing to be fed.

*I'm amazed that with all those kids, not being able to afford food and needing people to give them things like clothes for their children they manage to go on a yearly trip.  Sure it is only $50 for the night and who knows how much the food costs, but still, when you can't afford to purchase food for your children, it is time to take a break from the yearly trips and spend that money on something else. It seems like Gil and Kelly prioritize themselves above their children. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20110121101641/http://gilbatesfamily.com/2010/12/21/23-years/

I'm confused by how living debt free/giving to the poor  is considered "grifting" Am I missing something in this link? 

You're missing a lot. I suggest you do some research on the Bates family. Read through the Bates related threads. Things are not at all as they seem.

We really need to write up a summery of why the Bates aren't what they seem, since there are soooooo many threads and they tend to drift. Maybe I will sometime.

8 hours ago, freedom_for_all said:

We really need to write up a summery of why the Bates aren't what they seem, since there are soooooo many threads and they tend to drift. Maybe I will sometime.

I don't have time to do a write up. But I do believe this is an excellent option for a thread title-

"The Bateses: The Shiniest Turd of Them All!"

@19BabyGerkins- definitely read through old threads. Pay close attention to posts by @formergotharditewhen you do so. She lived this lifestyle and does a great job explaining the many issues with it.

I had a huge learning curve with both families, Duggar and Bates. Freejinger helped me a lot, so reading old threads took some time, but it's been worth it. My first thought about this lifestyle was: well it can't be that bad? Later, after getting out of some rabbit holes, i knew: I was right it can't be that bad. It is so much worse.

On 1/31/2017 at 10:45 AM, 19BabyGerkins said:

I'm confused by how living debt free/giving to the poor  is considered "grifting" Am I missing something in this link? 

Do you understand anything about the Bates? And despite that whole "being a channel for God to bless others" thing, there has been no indication that they have actually given to the poor. Gil and Kelley are takers, not givers. Their whole lecture on IBLP about raising a billion kids with no steady income is to just wait for people to give you stuff so you don't have to worry about getting a job that will support your family. 

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Do you understand anything about the Bates? And despite that whole "being a channel for God to bless others" thing, there has been no indication that they have actually given to the poor. Gil and Kelley are takers, not givers. Their whole lecture on IBLP about raising a billion kids with no steady income is to just wait for people to give you stuff so you don't have to worry about getting a job that will support your family. 

I Suppose I know just what I read here and what they have publicly stated.  I know they live without bank debt, they have been given a lot of stuff but that they have given away at least one car that I know of to a family in need, they volunteer, do stuff in the community, and the boys have done a lot of medical trips to the Philippines.  I get that there is a ton of shady stuff going on but I guess I was just unsure about how her promoting getting out of debt was considered "grifting"  As a former gothardite,  you can say better than any if that is what Financial Freedom teaches, I assume you've been subjected to it a time or two?  I've been fascinated by the Duggars/bates/FLDS families etc for a very long time and stalked FJ but new to posting and really digging deep.   Feel free to enlighten or point me int he right direction of finding the juicy details.   My fundy blog following has been gateway fundies at best but have been staying up late on here the past few days "catching up" 

I would suggest you read the archives.

There is no cute fluffy side to the Bates. Gil in particular has hurt a massive amount of people. These aren't hard working, avoid debt people. These are lazy, exploit their children for money, won't bother to work people. 

@19BabyGerkins-

I would start here: 

https://www.google.com/amp/radaronline.com/celebrity-news/duggar-friend-bringing-up-bates-patriarch-sex-abuse-scandal-gil-bates-institute-basic-life-principles-lawsuit/amp/?client=safari

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/10/22/five-women-sue-bill-gothards-ministry-that-has-ties-to-the-duggars/?client=safari

Also, look through these threads.

And this one: 

Long story short, he's an asshole who quit a decent job so he could beg for others to provide for his family. He and his wife appear to have used abusive methods to discipline their children. Oh, and he knew about sexual assaults, covered them up, and allowed some of his daughters to travel with a man he likely knew was a sexual predator. 

Archived