IGNORED

LDS/Mormon Fashion Bloggers

samurai_sarah

3 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

I've never heard of there being an official number either... although an ideal of 5 sounds about right from what I've seen :in_my_humble_opinion:

Something that I have heard a lot from Mormons is that purity/marrying young is generally much more important than childbearing decisions... birth control, child spacing, and whether to have kids or not (although encouraged) are entirely between the couple and God, figured out via prayer. But maybe that's a more liberal view within LDS. I have no idea.

In any case, the women running these Mormon blogs don't seem as obsessive about procreating as most of the fundies we follow.

I've also never heard of an official number of children recommended by the LDS church, although from what I've seen, the average number of children Mormons tend to have is 5. I do think the cultural idea of marrying by the age of 22, and not waiting to have children before having a college degree contributes to Mormons having larger families than average. Even then, they're not trying to catch up with most of the fundies we follow.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, ADoyle90815 said:

I've also never heard of an official number of children recommended by the LDS church, although from what I've seen, the average number of children Mormons tend to have is 5. I do think the cultural idea of marrying by the age of 22, and not waiting to have children before having a college degree contributes to Mormons having larger families than average. Even then, they're not trying to catch up with most of the fundies we follow.

My thoughts exactly! I personally know a Mormon family who has 5 kids, and while it's possible they might have more, 5 seems just right for them. I can think of other families who have 5 kids as well. Not very often do I hear of a Mormon family with more than 5 kids. Marrying right out of high school is heard of, but I think they're starting to wait until early 20's now. Marrying earlier than average Americans definitely gives them more time to have more kids. Most Mormons I've seen have 2 kids by the time they're 24-26.

Here's what some Mormons said about this topic: Why do Mormons have so many kids and how do they manage to feed them?

On 5/10/2016 at 0:46 PM, NakedKnees said:

Yaaay, I'm so glad there's a thread on the fashionable Mormon blogs!

Something that always strikes me is how much they seem to downplay temple life in these blogs. Being a pretty family and homemaker and making modesty more palatable is all over the place, but most devout Mormons I know (and I know many) are involved in the temple and similar organized activities 2-4 days a week, and aren't typically any more secretive about it than other protestant churchgoers.

Are they really just downplaying the religious aspect to attract folks to the lifestyle? Or are some of them just not that religious? The swimsuit and belly pics do strike me as a bit odd.

I always wonder this when I am looking at their blogs. It seems odd that they are not discussing temple life. 

The Freckled Fox. How have I not known about this. I am so envious of her hair. 

57 minutes ago, Witherwings said:

I always wonder this when I am looking at their blogs. It seems odd that they are not discussing temple life. 

The Freckled Fox. How have I not known about this. I am so envious of her hair. 

From the Freckled Fox: "My goal is to uplift and inspire as I share that life with you." I suppose that discussing temple life is just part of their blogging life. I know, isn't her hair just amazing?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kitcae said:

From the Freckled Fox: "My goal is to uplift and inspire as I share that life with you." I suppose that discussing temple life is just part of their blogging life. I know, isn't her hair just amazing?

Her hair is so amazing. I keep looking at her hair. 

What is the story with her husband?

8 minutes ago, Witherwings said:

Her hair is so amazing. I keep looking at her hair. 

What is the story with her husband?

I don't keep up with her blog that much so someone else might be better at explaining her husband's situation than me. Anyway, what I know is that her husband has stage 4 melanoma and it has spread so he has tumors in his liver. Right now he's getting immunotherapy. He's on oxygen and is tired all the time because of the pain medication. Emily (the wife) must be just so overwhelmed with caring for her sick husband and five kids! I can't imagine what it's like for them right now.

1 hour ago, Kitcae said:

I don't keep up with her blog that much so someone else might be better at explaining her husband's situation than me. Anyway, what I know is that her husband has stage 4 melanoma and it has spread so he has tumors in his liver. Right now he's getting immunotherapy. He's on oxygen and is tired all the time because of the pain medication. Emily (the wife) must be just so overwhelmed with caring for her sick husband and five kids! I can't imagine what it's like for them right now.

That is what I gathered. I saw she did a periscope thingy the other night and couldn't find what it was about. 

so sad. :( 

On the five kids thing:  I lived in SW Colorado (close to the Utah border) for 15 years and there is a large  Mormon presence in that area.  It was "common knowledge" that Mormons were required to have 5 kids, probably reinforced by the Mormon families we knew with five kids.  Since that time, I've always assumed it was some type of guideline.  The Google does not support me in this!  So apologies on the five kids thing; it's an outdated urban (or rural!) legend.  

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Oh, dear.  This is beyond sad. A friend of a friend passed last Wed after being diagnosed with an unusual cancer less than a year ago;  I thought 54 was incredibly young.  He had just retired a year or two ago and was getting on with continuing to enjoy life.  

To lose a husband in his late 20s or early 30s in the midst of a young family and life -- so very tragic. 

The Freckled Fox situation is so sad.   I found this article, which I'm posting as a cautionary tale.

https://www.babble.com/parenting/emily-meyers-martin-meyers-cancer-online-bullying/

The site that shall not be named is, of course, GOMI.  There was a Guardian article a while back that also touched on this, but it also contained stuff about That Wife, which made it feel like the author did not do proper research.

So when people wonder why we don't allow this or that and feel like we are moderating too heavily in certain situations, it's because I don't ever want to see articles like this one about FJ.

• Upvote 9

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:33 PM, Witherwings said:

I have recently discovered this phenomenon. My understanding is that some live completely off their blogs, with Barefoot Blonde being sponsored and having vacations all around the world paid in full. Neither seem to dress incredibly modest, or at least they are both seen wearing bikinis and sometimes skimpy clothing. 

Pink Peonies

Barefoot Blonde

Love Taza/Rockstar Diaries

Hey Natalie Jean

i believe in unicorns.

There are more. They all seem so shiny and polished. 

@samurai_sarah, Thanks for starting this!

http://www.salon.com/2011/01/15/feminist_obsessed_with_mormon_blogs/

Oh, Mormon mommy "fashion" bloggers.  Everything's shiny new and color coordinated, everyone's calm and smiling.  So not my life.  Emily at Ivory Lane and Rachel at Pink Peonies are sisters, and have equally shiny and coordinated blogs.  It's rumored that Rachel pulls in seven figures per year from her blog.

• 3 months later...

@Funwithfundies That was my thought as well. It's only been three months since her late husband passed away. To lose a husband, grieve, meet someone new (-ish, they have history) and marry again in three months. Maybe this is the right thing for her, but I have mixed emotions about this. 

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

@Funwithfundies That was my thought as well. It's only been three months since her late husband passed away. To lose a husband, grieve, meet someone new (-ish, they have history) and marry again in three months. Maybe this is the right thing for her, but I have mixed emotions about this. 

It might be right for her but I worry about the kids and their grieving process.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Bethella said:

It might be right for her but I worry about the kids and their grieving process.

I came here to mention exactly this. I can wrap my head around the fact that she's married already. I could *almost* get my head around having met someone new, but it being early stages. How has she had time to reconnect and marry someone in the three months or so that have passed? I can't understand how you'd even be out of the early stages of grief by that point, especially as she and Martin seemed so happy together. I hope it's the right choice for her and her family but it just seems really fast.

• Upvote 10

Does anyone else find it weird that she says they "parted ways as friends" when she and Martin got engaged? If they were friends and not romantically involved, then what bearing did that have on her relationship with Martin? I'm not trying to suggest anything untoward happened, and I really do believe Emily loved Martin dearly, but I wonder if perhaps she loved Richard as well, which would explain why they connected again so quickly after Martin's death. Then again, maybe I've just been reading too many YA books.

Regardless, I hope she and her kids are doing all right and this isn't moving too quickly for any of the children.

• Upvote 2

I think it's just the logical next step. What ARE you gonna do when you're a widow at 25 and you have five incredibly young kids to take care of? I don't know anything about her apart from what's in this thread (so not much at all), and I don't know if she has any kind of education or training. I assume she makes some money off of her block, but certainly not nearly enough to sustain her family of six long-term. Her oldest is, what, five? Not nearly old enough to be any kind of help (not that she should have to be!). So even if she does have any marketable skills, how could she possibly work outside of the home for any length of time?

Getting married again quickly was the only real option she hafd. Just like in the good old days. One of the many reasons leaving women uneducated to have child after child is a really fucking stupid idea. That said, I wish them peace and healing. And I hope the children can properly grieve.

• Upvote 14

4 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

Same. I'd understand reconnecting with someone and getting into a relationship at the three-month mark, but marriage by then? That's really fast. Maybe that works for her, but I do worry about how it affects her kids -- three months is an awfully short time to process losing your father to a terminal illness (so you have learning that sometimes people get sick and don't get better, and experiencing firsthand what death is) and then building a relationship with a new stepdad.

• Upvote 6

I wondered if this was something along the lines of Nigella Lawson's first husband, John Diamond, encouraging her to think about her future, and future relationships, while he was dying of cancer (though she ended up with Charles Saatchi, so that didn't go well) - but the blog doesn't imply anything like that.

I dunno, seems awfully fast, and there's a world of difference between "we were nearly lovers, but it never worked out, and I married someone else - then later re-connected, and after a year and a half, we got married", and that story compressed into 3 months after the death of a husband.  I hope they're all ok, because it would be horrible if they wake up in 3 months time and realise it as a huge mistake. 

• Upvote 2

I was just reading about this on another site. (Not gomi.) According to them, members of Martin's family are horrified by the quick re-marriage. Apparently his headstone isn't even done yet. I'm sure she feels like this is the right decision, and lord knows what she's going through must be awful. But. People waaayyy smarter than me wouldn't even consider introducing a new guy to their kids so soon. Now they have a new dad after watching theirs die like 3 months ago? This is all going to implode if he's not practically a saint. I'm hoping for the best though. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, JillyO said:

Getting married again quickly was the only real option she hafd. Just like in the good old days. One of the many reasons leaving women uneducated to have child after child is a really fucking stupid idea. That said, I wish them peace and healing. And I hope the children can properly grieve.

Maybe she got married cause she wasn't about to live with a man before marriage, I guess because of her religion.

Im sure she married him in part because she doesn't have many options, but it does seem so quick. Did she have any life insurance, or could her family (or her first husband's family) have helped her? 

It does seem fast. I can't imagine being ready to even think about dating, let alone being married again after such a short grieving period. But, everyone is different. It's understandable that his family is surprised or upset. Even if he told her to move on quickly, that's between husband and wife, and could still be very difficult for the rest of the family.

I'm no expert on all things Mormon. Isn't there something about women needing a husband to call them to heaven? What happens in this situation? Does she technically have two husbands for that now? Are there any religious reasons that she needs to be married again? Not judging on this particular issue, just curious.

5 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

I was just reading about this on another site. (Not gomi.) According to them, members of Martin's family are horrified by the quick re-marriage. Apparently his headstone isn't even done yet. I'm sure she feels like this is the right decision, and lord knows what she's going through must be awful. But. People waaayyy smarter than me wouldn't even consider introducing a new guy to their kids so soon. Now they have a new dad after watching theirs die like 3 months ago? This is all going to implode if he's not practically a saint. I'm hoping for the best though. 

That was my first thought - I can't imagine what her original in-laws are thinking.

ITA about the children as well.  A friend of mine lost her husband in a horrible tragedy, leaving her alone with a toddler and a newborn.  She met a great guy a couple of years later, and I remember her telling me that her son (who would have been 4-5 at the time) would occasionally erupt at him, "you're not my father!".  She is still with this guy (15 years after the loss of her husband), and he seems to have a wonderful relationship with the two kids.  So...point being, if a great guy a few years after the loss was initially rough for my friend's kids, I can't imagine what these poor kids are going to feel with such a quick turnaround (no matter how wonderful the new husband might be).