IGNORED

Lesbian Grows Hair Out and Marries a Guy-Emily Thomes

DomWackTroll

She's only been married two weeks and she's talking this big a game? Girl...

Anyway, hallelujah, praise the lord, may he rescue us all from the valley of the shadow of smooching girls and smoking weed! :lol:

• Upvote 12

Emily Thomas:  "God's Pattern for Wives" from JMac is trying to tear my heart out this morning. Lord, help me to love like you do. Help me to see myself, marriage, and You as I ought to.

So two weeks into wedded bliss and God's Pattern for Wives, which lays out the whole deal re: Biblical wifely submission, is already trying to 'tear her heart out.'   My guess?  Very brief courtship with no no no premarital sex.  Now she's having heterosexual sex and finding out who her husband really is, for better or worse (literally), when his version of wifely submission is the only one that counts.   Not getting a great vibe here.  Not implying that the new husband is an awful guy, just.....

ETA: After looking at the photos, she and her husband look really young.  Anyone know how old they are?  I'm guessing 20-ish. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 16

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Sure hope this is the real thing -- whatever that is -- for Emily.  

Her account of when she came to Jesus does not make me optimistic, though:

Where in the Bible does it say not to smoke weed? Not that I'm advocating the activity (I'm a dull straight edge type and weed doesn't interest me, although I think putting people in prison for it is nuts) but this just seems to be another case assuming that certain things are in the Bible that aren't. I guess the treat your body like a temple thing could be interpreted not to do drugs, but I think it could also be interpreted to mean leading a generally healthy lifestyle, and I don't see our fundies condemning fast food or TTC like they do marijuana. 

• Upvote 17

Just now, Cleopatra7 said:

Where in the Bible does it say not to smoke weed? Not that I'm advocating the activity (I'm a dull straight edge type and weed doesn't interest me, although I think putting people in prison for it is nuts) but this just seems to be another case assuming that certain things are in the Bible that aren't. I guess the treat your body like a temple thing could be interpreted not to do drugs, but I think it could also be interpreted to mean leading a generally healthy lifestyle, and I don't see our fundies condemning fast food or TTC like they do marijuana. 

I don't get that either. God created plants for us to consume. We consume them in the most fun way possible. I don't see the problem here. 

• Upvote 12

I think a lot of people are against weed because they personally don't want to do it anyway (whether because they consider it dangerous, low class, or just don't care for it), so just to be on the safe side let's rule it out for everyone. Kind of like how fundies tend to be about everything else in the world. If it's not mandatory then it's forbidden.

• Upvote 9

@Cleopatra7 Where in the Bible does it say not to smoke weed?

Heh. Benny Shanon of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem is not the first to believe that many revelations, visions and incidents in the Bible are fueled by psychoactive plants.   

Psychology professor Benny Shanon says it was likely Moses was hallucinating under the influence of a mind-altering drug at the time of his biblical achievements. To back up his theory, Professor Shanon says the acacia tree, frequently mentioned in the Bible, contains one of the most psychedelic substances [dimethyltryptamine] known to man.

According to the professor, Moses was not alone in dabbling with drugs, with the assembled Children of Israel likely to have been in "an altered state of awareness" when Moses brought the Ten Commandments down from Mount Sinai.

Professor Shanon told Israeli radio: "As far as Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics."    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-525993/Moses-high-hallucinogenic-drug-received-Ten-Commandments-claims-academic.html

For any of you out there who are (*cough*) children of the 1960s (*cough*), you know this makes so much sense. 

ETA: For your amusement, here's a Web site that reviews psychoactive plants and substances (and their effects) that appear in the Bible: 

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2015/05/30/psychoactive-plants-in-the-bible/

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 7

It appears that she is about 24--per her FB page, she graduated from high school in 2010. No idea how old he is. Interestingly, there is an "in a relationship with" someone else just a few months prior to the "in a relationship with" the husband. 

The Shelley who converted her seems to be an aunt and there is a post about going to church with Grandma shortly after, so I'm thinking there was some serious family pressure. Doesn't look like it was from parents, though, so I wonder what the parents think of the big change. 

Aside from all her "lost and found" posts, the worst one was the letter that new husband apparently left the staff at their honeymoon hotel...a big dose of "you need Jesus right now so you don't go to hell!". 

The audacity of that stuff just blows my mind. How does he know they aren't Christian? Why do these people assume that they never, ever encounter another Christian in their daily life and everyone they meet desperately needs saved.? 

• Upvote 19

13 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

I think a lot of people are against weed because they personally don't want to do it anyway (whether because they consider it dangerous, low class, or just don't care for it), so just to be on the safe side let's rule it out for everyone. Kind of like how fundies tend to be about everything else in the world. If it's not mandatory then it's forbidden.

I think that for fundies at least, the opposition to marijuana is due to the fact that they associate it with the 60s counterculture and racial minorities. The entire reason marijuana was made illegal in the first place was not because of any ill-health effects but because of racial panic surrounding fears of blacks and Mexicans raping white women while stoned. The same is true for cocaine, because of rumors of "cocaine-craze Negroes" that were impervious to police bullets in the South. There was a great article in the most recent Harper's, which is unfortunately behind a paywall, in which a former Nixon staffer admitted that the War on Drugs was a front to disrupt leftist and black movements by painting them as drug addled degenerates ruining the fabric of mainstream America. Since a lot of American Christian fundamentalism, whether Catholic or Protestant, is based on reacting against the 1960s, whether in terms of racial politics or cultural norms, it makes sense that they would consider marijuana to be forbidden, not for health or legal reasons, but because of what it represents from a culture war perspective.

Edited by Cleopatra7
  • Upvote 24
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, habert said:

He is "reformed". They got engaged "quickly, very quick". She got married on April 9th, the two year anniversary when she was saved :/

What does "reformed" mean? 

All this stuff from her FB page is sounding more and more ominous. 

• Upvote 9

12 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I think that for fundies at least, the opposition to marijuana is due to the fact that they associate it with the 60s counterculture and racial minorities. The entire reason marijuana was made illegal in the first place was not because of any ill-health effects but because of racial panic surrounding fears of blacks and Mexicans raping white women while stoned. The same is true for cocaine, because of rumors of "cocaine-craze Negroes" that were impervious to police bullets in the South. There was a great article in the most recent Harper's, which is unfortunately behind a paywall, in which a former Nixon staffer admitted that the War on Drugs was a front to disrupt leftist and black movements by painting them as drug addled degenerates ruining the fabric of mainstream America. Since a lot of American Christian fundamentalism, whether Catholic or Protestant, is based on reacting against the 1960s, whether in terms of racial politics or cultural norms, it makes sense that they would consider marijuana to be forbidden, not for health or legal reasons, but because of what it represents from a culture war perspective.

All true, but then, the hardcore fundies that are against all alcohol use (and not just drunkenness) and insist on the ridiculous "wine in the Bible means grape juice" nonsense would be against weed regardless of what it represented, I would imagine. Fundy-lites and more mainstream Conservative Christians are more likely to just be against it because of what it represents culturally.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MakeitSew said:

This came across my Facebook yesterday and I was saddened. If the girl loves her husband and is happy I am happy for her. I just feel devastated to think that she may have chosen this route in some emotional and desperate response to God/church/family/friends who may have done the whole "love the sinner but hate the sin" type of thing. How much anguish did she have to go through to outwardly change, to conform to what she came to believe was "right"? I really hope she is happy...but I fear someday the rush of religion will be over and she will find herself stuck in a position that she was never meant to occupy.

Or she's bi and able to feel romantically about a man. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

From what I gather (I have insomnia bad right now and read farther down her fb than I really care to admit), in her opinion, she wasn't a lesbian because that's not a legitimate thing a person can be. They can just be sinners who aren't accepting God's role for them. You can feel attraction to people of the same sex, but basically just suck it up (not literally...) because this isn't about you.

But to people who aren't dumbass fundies, it sounds like she probably is actually a lesbian. Hopefully for her sake she's bisexual and can be happy with her husband, but it's not really the impression I got from what I read.

On a side note, from her page I somehow ended up on this woman's page https://www.facebook.com/leah.johnson.121?fref=ufi and my gosh, she's like the most negative, joyless, lecturey person ever. She makes John Shrader look like a ray of sunshine.

My spouse's aunt is a lesbian  but from a serious fundie family. She have up women and "dedicated" herself to The Lord. She's a hardcore tongues-babbling missionary who lives mostly in the jungles in southern Mexico and she is a fervent, scary and committed zealot. 

This young woman could be able to sacrifice a normal relationship for religious zealotry. It's a high for these people. She seems to be relishing her role as a Christian martyr. This seems super political for her and may give her more power in her culture than she could ever have hoped to have: More than a boring straight woman who married a man and certainly more than a sinning, outcasted lesbian. 

Edited by amendgitan
  • Upvote 10

Looks like they started dating in November, got engaged in February and married in April.

That god sure works in mysterious ways when trying to stop a young woman from having the sex.

I assume she is bi and ignoring the 'other side' now that she's found Jesus and a man to take care of her. At least, like others, that is what I hope. I couldn't stand being married to a man I wasn't attracted to - and I am straight. I got divorced. Life is hell when you're tied to someone who doesn't fulfill you - the real you.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, polecat said:

What does "reformed" mean? 

All this stuff from her FB page is sounding more and more ominous. 

I don't know, that's what they said in the video

It does however look as if she's been coerced into this by her not been 'comfortable' as a lesbian (as in she seemed to feel 'guilty' in god's eyes as a sinner and is struggling to come to terms with her sexuality) and Aunty Shelley's 'help'.

The husband describes himself as being 'Once dead in sin, now alive by the atoning blood of Jesus Christ' vampire? :confused2:

I get that fundies often have this dialogue of being sinners but now walking in the light etc so it may not mean anything specific, but it does make me sad that these people can't just be happy in who they are as human beings without the shackles of being 'sinners'.

I hope she's happy now and in the future, I hope she truly loves him and vice versa, I hope she's bi and doesn't regret her decision to be married to a man, I hope she doesn't think that marriage means she has to lie back and think of England (or what ever the US equivalent is).

(I feel I should point out that my hairstyle is very similar to the short spikey do, and yet I somehow manage to be heterosexual/married)

Edited by CoveredInBees
hair
  • Upvote 11

1 minute ago, CoveredInBees said:

It does however look as if she's been coerced into this by her not been 'comfortable' as a lesbian (as in she seemed to feel 'guilty' in god's eyes as a sinner and is struggling to come to terms with her sexuality) and Aunty Shelley's 'help'.

The husband describes himself as being 'Once dead in sin, now alive by the atoning blood of Jesus Christ' vampire? :confused2:

I get that fundies often have this dialogue of being sinners but now walking in the light etc so it may not mean anything specific, but it does make me sad that these people can't just be happy in who they are as human beings without the shackles of being 'sinners'.

I hope she's happy now and in the future, I hope she truly loves him and vice versa, I hope she's bi and doesn't regret her decision to be married to a man, I hope she doesn't think that marriage means she has to lie back and think of England (or what ever the US equivalent is).

I wonder how much of that language has to do with his embrace of Calvinism--which emphasizes a doctrine of "total depravity" without God. 

• Upvote 4

Emily starts talking at 4:25 and again at 8:45

Edited by habert
giving a time code

2 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

She's only been married two weeks and she's talking this big a game? Girl...

Anyway, hallelujah, praise the lord, may he rescue us all from the valley of the shadow of smooching girls and smoking weed! :lol:

Sounds like a fun Friday night to me! Where is this valley? Uh.. for research purposes....

• Upvote 10

If I were lesbian (I'm not), and decided I was going to switch to hetero ( is that even possible?), I would not grow my hair out. My hair is very short, suits my face, and has been short for 30 years. What does hair length have to do with it? 

• Upvote 19

I'm pretty sure the Bible doesn't mention weed. ;) It does tell people not to engage in "drunkenness," but exactly what that means or how it applies to other intoxicating substances is not defined, as far as I know.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

THIS +1000

The book "Drug Crazy" lays out the entire sordid history of illegal drugs in America. Way back in the early 1900s, there were congressmen who disapproved of regulating what people could put into their own bodies because to do so was overreaching the Constitution. 

• Upvote 4

I kind of want to note that she might not be lesbian, but bisexual. Bi erasure is a thing and it makes bi lives shittier in all kinds of small and large ways. 

Edited by sockinshoe
a word
  • Upvote 12