IGNORED

F**k You Kirk Cameron

mango_fandango

16 hours ago, Shiny said:

Was the wife in Fireproof submissive? I thought she laid out an ultimatum for Kirk's character and he changed. I might not remember correctly though. 

I didn't see the movie and I don't know much about KC, but that wouldn't surprise me. Even though most of the Christians I know would say that they support the submissive wife/husband is the leader model, I have only known a few that actually functioned that way, or at least to the extreme that the Maxwells, Lori Alexander, etc. espouse.  I think most decent men who love their wives want her to be a partner and not a subservient being who can't remind them to order a pizza.  They may believe that submission means the man should get the final say in big decisions (which I am not supporting, btw) but being a tyrant, even a benign tyrant, isn't part of the picture, and they would definitely support a wife standing up to her husband when she needs to, so I wouldn't be shocked if that happened in the movie.  

On the other hand...I have also seen up close a few marriages where the husband felt like he had a Biblical mandate to be a micro-managing asshat and it was not pretty, and those women were NOT happy, no matter how much they claimed to be.  We got out of that church as soon as the reality sank in--but it took a few months, because despite my conservative Christian background, I did not know that that kind of thinking even existed. :(  It was scary.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, it was the husband in Fireproof who had to learn to be a servant to his wife, rather than (at the start) expect her respect in return for nothing.  She didn't really change much beyond deciding she could put up with him now that he wasn't being a pig.

FYSnarkage:

@CyborgKin, I haven't seen Fireproof, except one or two clips. That 60 second summary is hilarious!

50 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

@CyborgKin, I haven't seen Fireproof, except one or two clips. That 60 second summary is hilarious!

It was intended to be, so they got one thing right.

War Room in 60 seconds is funny too, but I can't find that on Youtube.  It has the bloopers though.

I listened to God Awful Movies' three-part takedown of the Left Behind movies, so I just had to watch to see if they were making any of what they said up (spoilers: they weren't). Kirk Cameron couldn't act his way out of a paper bag if there was a clearly marked exit.

Nastyhobittes I am a fellow listener of God Awful Movies and always enjoy their reviews. I have to wonder does anyone know how much Fireproof the assault on cinema made?

Probably not. I've never seen any of those sorts of events truly make a lasting difference and one of the problems is that, yeah, they might hand slap the men, but they are still telling them that they rule the women and the women are in the wrong if they aren't submitting to the men. 

I tend to agree with Former in her assessment. From what I have seen alter calls are lauded almost as a batch of honor for those who go up to the front. After all it adds to their testimony.

11 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

If anything, it was the husband in Fireproof who had to learn to be a servant to his wife, rather than (at the start) expect her respect in return for nothing.  She didn't really change much beyond deciding she could put up with him now that he wasn't being a pig.

FYSnarkage:

I also love pointing out that all the kissing in the movie had to be in silhouette because Irksome Kirk won't kiss, or even pretend to kiss, any woman who isn't his wife. They had to put his wife in a wig and shoot the kissing scenes in shadows to accommodate this. And as a consequence, they couldn't show a guy kissing his wife at a vow renewal. Now, I'm totally cool with actors who won't do nude scenes or won't eat meat or pork products on camera due to ethical or religious beliefs (for instance, Natalie Portman is vegan, and I think that food she eats on camera is either plainly vegan or, if it is meat in-story, is vegan food made to look meaty), but when the entire cinematography and blocking of several scenes have to be changed because you won't do the simple job of acting/you're afraid of getting feelings in your no-no parts from pretending to make out with a woman who probably wants to make out with you about as much as you want to make out with her (which is to say that I'm sure she'd rather French kiss an oscillating fan), it's time to rethink your life.

11 hours ago, infooverload said:

I tend to agree with Former in her assessment. From what I have seen alter calls are lauded almost as a batch of honor for those who go up to the front. After all it adds to their testimony.

The dyslexia is kicking in fierce today. I could have sworn you said "badge of horror". I even read it three times to make sure.

Well Kirk played a conniving, charming, cheeky charlatan on Growing Pains, and apparently channeled that character into proselytizing.  The main shtick of Mike Seaver is that he is always trying to get away with something and putting everyone else (especially his sister, Carol Seaver) down because he thinks he's smarter and better than everyone else.  It's especially telling that the character of Mike thinks charm is enough to get through life while telling his sister (a female) that being smart is a bad thing and that she's not worthy.  Perhaps he became convicted to seek religion because he recognized how vapid his character was, but instead he just turned the same caricature into a ministry.

18 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I also love pointing out that all the kissing in the movie had to be in silhouette because Irksome Kirk won't kiss, or even pretend to kiss, any woman who isn't his wife. They had to put his wife in a wig and shoot the kissing scenes in shadows to accommodate this. And as a consequence, they couldn't show a guy kissing his wife at a vow renewal. Now, I'm totally cool with actors who won't do nude scenes or won't eat meat or pork products on camera due to ethical or religious beliefs (for instance, Natalie Portman is vegan, and I think that food she eats on camera is either plainly vegan or, if it is meat in-story, is vegan food made to look meaty), but when the entire cinematography and blocking of several scenes have to be changed because you won't do the simple job of acting/you're afraid of getting feelings in your no-no parts from pretending to make out with a woman who probably wants to make out with you about as much as you want to make out with her (which is to say that I'm sure she'd rather French kiss an oscillating fan), it's time to rethink your life.

I'm sorry but I had to laugh at no-no parts. Hee. 

On Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

As I recall from the E! True Hollywood story on Growing Pains, Kirk claims to have found "god" (or something) because the life of a teen idol felt shallow and meaningless. However, I think Kirk has simply traded in being a secular pin-up to being a fundie equivalent of the same. He's still quasi-famous and has people squeeing over him, albeit for different reasons. Given how open Kirk has been about his fundieness and his horrible movies, I think if he was living a side life of any sort, someone would have stepped forward about it by now or we'd at least have heard rumors like with John Travolta, Kevin Spacey, or even Josh Duggar. Not saying I know anything either way about those two, but both Travolta and Spacey have been dogged with rumors for so long that many people assume they're true, rightly or wrongly. Instead, I think Kirk buys into his own hype and is simply a priggish jerk. Besides, Candace is also fundie, albeit more fundie lite, and it seems like her conversion was just as sudden as Kirk's, even if she wasn't a total jerk about it.

I really think kirk is gay and is using religion to try to pray it away. Especially the way he turned to religion so fast and went crazy as hell

On 5/1/2016 at 4:28 PM, Coy Koi said:

That is interesting. How many people attended this nonsense? How much did it cost?

To answer your question, it was pretty packed and it was a megachurch auditorium.  So I'd estimate about 200 people were there.  It's not cheap if you get the VIP tickets where you actually get to meet Kirk it's $50.  Without that it's more like $25-$30.  I paid to meet him in order to get his autograph for my son who thought the whole thing was hilarious.  Kirk did a little talk for us before the show where he stated that the media made it seem like he was homophobic by asking him questions.  People seemed to agree with this assessment and they were all in awe of him.  It was bizarre.

10 hours ago, freehannie said:

To answer your question, it was pretty packed and it was a megachurch auditorium.  So I'd estimate about 200 people were there.

To me, 'packed megachurch auditorium' means more like ten times that many, at least.  200 is a packed rented school hall.

On 5/3/2016 at 7:36 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, this begs the question...Kirk's real life wife is an actress. Why didn't they just cast her?

41 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Also, this begs the question...Kirk's real life wife is an actress. Why didn't they just cast her?

Is she still allowed to work after having kids?

On 5/3/2016 at 5:05 PM, CyborgKin said:

FYSnarkage:

Wow. This tripe is actually meant to be taken seriously?

And all that destroying things. Sublimation for the impulse to tune up on the old wife, eh? :?

@EyeQueue, did that clip from Fireproof really show a guy's head getting struck by a speeding train?  GROSS!

12 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@EyeQueue, did that clip from Fireproof really show a guy's head getting struck by a speeding train?  GROSS!

Yes--that's what it looked like to me. He must have been a dirty sinner.

1 hour ago, EyeQueue said:

Yes--that's what it looked like to me. He must have been a dirty sinner.

"If thou hast impure thoughts, the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, shall smiteth thine head with a train." Dalmatians 4:11

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

No.  The guy was fine.

14 minutes ago, CyborgKin said:

No.  The guy was fine.

Wait...the guy survived that? That looked reallyreally bad.

5 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Beats me. They also made her the villainous flight attendant/UN official (odd career trajectory there) in Left Behind and cast another actress as Kirk's sidehug piece. My guess? Kirk wants to be paired with younger/younger-looking women in his movies.

33 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Beats me. They also made her the villainous flight attendant/UN official (odd career trajectory there) in Left Behind and cast another actress as Kirk's sidehug piece. My guess? Kirk wants to be paired with younger/younger-looking women in his movies.

Oh, god. I need to go back and re-watch that steaming pile of tripe just for the snark value. My daughter and I watched it several months ago and could not stop laughing. It was truly horrible.

But, yeah. So much for him standing on this vaunted principles if he's willing to sell them out to have a younger sidehug piece in his films. :pb_rollseyes:

And I think something relating to sidehug piece should be a post count title. That's hilarious.

@ScreamingIzzy, I need to share that Dalmatians 4:11 verse with my vet.  She has Dals and also has several fake bible verses from the books of Canines and Felines in her office.

Aww, Kirk just wants attention.  Think of him as the Christian Kardashian.

Archived