IGNORED

Counting On - Part 8: You've Seen Half this Show Before

choralcrusader8613

6 hours ago, fundiesarefascinating said:

I'm not sure what his actual ethnicity is, but yes he is the one of the few non-white individuals that the Duggars spend time with (can't forget about flame). His instagram seems almost normal, aside from being a friend of the Duggars.  I agree with you though, living somewhere else and getting some new life experience would be a excellent for any of those children. 

I had wondered about Joy (though is pains me to say as she is still so young) since Anna has made it clear that she could be "6 months away from marriage/babies". Maybe he would let her wear pants and shorts and play sports since he seems to be okay interacting with other women who do that. That might be nice for her. 

A couple episodes ago when Joy was talking about not liking dresses, the way she phrased it made me think she also didn't like wearing skirts.

I hope her father wouldn't veto a guy who he thinks would allow His Daughter to wear pants. But I really hope Joy would be able to leave, live on her own or with friends or other relatives, and not get 'cast out' of the family. After what Josh did - and got caught for - I think the other kidults have a lot of room to run with. They just need to realize it and go for it!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

Changing the topic slightly, does anyone else remember, in the most recent episode, that Jessa claimed that, after all the agony of Spurgy's birth, she said she did not want any more children?

Of course, she then went on to say she changed her mind once the baby was in her arms. But I thought, maybe she had a moment of clarity, and at least briefly re-thought the idea of churning out babies like a clown car.

From her point of view, though, would the thought. "I don't want any more babies," be a kind of sin? Because (from the perspective of her cult) she would, in effect, be rejecting what God wants to send her.

I think even in fundie-land. women in labor are allowed to think/say that they will not do it again.  The catch, if you are quiverful, is that after labor is over, you have to change your mind and want to have more babies to add to your husband's quiver.  The preferred time for changing your mind is as soon as your new baby is put in your arms.  But I would guess they give a young mother who has had a rough time at least 24 hours to take back the "I am never doing this again!"

16 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

Changing the topic slightly, does anyone else remember, in the most recent episode, that Jessa claimed that, after all the agony of Spurgy's birth, she said she did not want any more children?

Of course, she then went on to say she changed her mind once the baby was in her arms. But I thought, maybe she had a moment of clarity, and at least briefly re-thought the idea of churning out babies like a clown car.

From her point of view, though, would the thought. "I don't want any more babies," be a kind of sin? Because (from the perspective of her cult) she would, in effect, be rejecting what God wants to send her.

Hard to say, as truth is after my slightly difficult birth, I thought, "Hell no! Never again!". But there are natural hormones that take the edge off that, as does sleep deprivation effecting memory, makes this switch in thinking pretty normal. While, she could have gone on, to realise she needs to keep the party line or not, its not something, I see as that unusual.

The pen thing though is very weird, I have never heard of someone using one to get their baby to do things.

I really want the announcement to be, something like, "We are going to be thinking about doing the paperwork, for a possible adoption." from any of them. Basically, dragging things out. I agree with someone else who posted, that more then likely, hold any birth announcements for after the season is over, but probably a courting, probably, could end the season though, but hope not.

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

That Steiger guy!! I forgot about it. Wasn't it the guy who the duggars started randomly following on twitter a year ago or something? Probably more time.

Yes. The Duggars starting following him in 2014. Amy follows some of his siblings.

Specualtion: The Duggars were going to announce a courtship last year, but Josh was exposed and the show was cancelled.  In a spring 2015 interview JB said would could see some new courtships( besides Josiah and Marjorie) in the upcoming season. That season never happened.

55 minutes ago, NewOrleansLady said:

My son also took his life 16 years ago.  I really DO NOT like that emoji.  Please don't snark on this but try to be understanding. My sincere sympathy.  My sincere  thanks.

Wtf are we doing with a suicide emoji?? :(

20 hours ago, calimojo said:

I just watched a few of those TLC Me interviews with the brothers and I have to say, I am starting to like JD more and more.  He is so relaxed in those interviews and talkative.  And he seems very comfortable with the pretty interviewer. 

Don't get me wrong,  he probably has the same crazy beliefs as the rest of the family, and is a bit of doofus, but I think he is a stand up guy and if what we are seeing in those interviews is somewhat accurate about his personality,  then I think it is shame that he and the other brothers were rarely ever featured in the original shows, and for that matter in the new series.

I'm sure TLC didn't realize it at the time, but (IMO) they made a big mistake by focusing so much on Josh in the earlier shows.  I think JD's main job now is to present himself as diligent, responsible, and a positive role model - reflecting well on his upbringing and family values.  He, and to a lesser extent his younger brothers, may actually be more crucial for restoring the Duggar reputation and marketability than the girls are.  The better the brothers turn out, the more of a fluke Josh (and his messes) will appear to be...which will tend to deflect blame off of JB & M.  Likewise, I think there would be no turning back if there was another major screw-up with a Duggar son.

Joy wore pants to work out with Ben, but she had a skirt over the top. Very safe.

Regarding the pen, my grandson at that age loved you to rotate a water bottle end over end. Whatever strikes a baby's fancy is fine, as long as it's not a threat or punishment.

7 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

@ChickenettiLuvr  In addition to all the other great suggestions:

"Gracious!" works well in place of "Jesus!"

"Oh my!" works almost everywhere.

Variants "Good gracious," "Oh my goodness!" etc. are all useful.

"What in the name of all Creation!" works well (in place of "all that is Holy" or "God")

"What the Dickens" is a time honored alternative to "What the Hell/Devil"

And for passive aggressiveness:"Well I just don't understand it," when being critical.

(As for the wedding, spike the punch.) ;)

My mom was famous for sh sh sh sugar!

Oh, FJ ... you all are wonderful !!!  Thanks so much for all the creative suggestions!!

I've been correcting myself all day day, using cheese & crackers as my go-to.  Which was said A LOT.  Especially since I had to do time at the DMV.  Cheese & crackers cheese & crackers cheese & crackers.

9 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

I have a few - but they might not work, given the wrong audience: "Christ on a bicycle!" or...  "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!"

I'll show myself out.....

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Now that is a Catholic one. I hear my mother and aunts voices with that!

12 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Now that is a Catholic one. I hear my mother and aunts voices with that!

My departed MIL, a very, very devout person (8 priests on the altar at her funeral mass) used to say, "Jesus, Mary and Joseph and good St Anne (her parish name)."

16 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

My grandmother would say "Jesus, God, Joseph, and Mary!" in times of extreme annoyance. It seemed like a pretty serious swear when I was a kid. 

In the pre-Vatican II era, people were encouraged to say short prayers called ejaculations to keep your mind focused on religious matters. Ones involving Jesus, Mary, and Joseph were quite common:

https://christhekingcatholichurch.wordpress.com/devotion/short-ejaculations-mini-prayers/

The above link is from a South African Catholic traditionalist parish. It's vague about its affiliations, so it could be super crazy. I chose it because it was either this or something from Fish Eaters, and I'd rather go with the one that isn't filled with excessive amounts of editorializing.

10 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

In the pre-Vatican II era, people were encouraged to say short prayers called ejaculations to keep your mind focused on religious matters. Ones involving Jesus, Mary, and Joseph were quite common:

https://christhekingcatholichurch.wordpress.com/devotion/short-ejaculations-mini-prayers/

The above link is from a South African Catholic traditionalist parish. It's vague about its affiliations, so it could be super crazy. I chose it because it was either this or something from Fish Eaters, and I'd rather go with the one that isn't filled with excessive amounts of editorializing.

Did they really have to call them ejaculations though? Just sayin'.

Just now, withaj said:

Did they really have to call them ejaculations though? Just sayin'.

Ejaculation is a grammatical and linguistic term that refers to short phrases (one or two words) that express strong emotions in a sentence fragment. The most common ejaculations are curse words, but things like "Ouch!" also qualify. They are different from exclamations which do contain the rudiments of normal sentence structures.

I really don't like substitute swear words. I prefer to say nothing at all. Or I'll swear in French, and say, "merde." 

I am not a fan of that emoji, at all. My condolences to those who have lost loved ones to suicide. 

6 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Ejaculation is a grammatical and linguistic term that refers to short phrases (one or two words) that express strong emotions in a sentence fragment. The most common ejaculations are curse words, but things like "Ouch!" also qualify. They are different from exclamations which do contain the rudiments of normal sentence structures.

I'm aware that the usage is correct. I was commenting on the wisdom of using it.

Just now, withaj said:

I'm aware that the usage is correct. I was commenting on the wisdom of using it.

Given that the Catholic Church is well-known for thinking in centuries, the hierarchy would probably blame secular society for changing the meaning. However, I'm not sure which usage came first, the anatomical or the grammatical.

I use 'pluck a duck' . This comes out often when driving or at work.

I made a big point of not swearing in front of my girls as they were growing up, they are now adults and swear a lot. :my_confused:

18 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Given that the Catholic Church is well-known for thinking in centuries, the hierarchy would probably blame secular society for changing the meaning. However, I'm not sure which usage came first, the anatomical or the grammatical.

IIRC, Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica has passages about spilling seed (super sinful of course) that were translated pretty early from the Latin using emission or ejaculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the fervent prayer usage preceded it. 

(Below post merged)

So I couldn't resist looking into this. According to my favorite etymological resource, the usage of ejaculate (from the Latin eiaculatus) meaning "to emit semen" dates to the 1570s, while "to exclaim suddenly" emerged in the 1660s. 

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph is what my Grammy says when she is mildly upset/annoyed by something.

She as other very colorful words and phrases she uses other times. Such as when her cane doesn't stay where she wants it and it falls. (One starts with a c and ends in sucker) never needed to ever hear my Grammy say something like that lol 

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived