IGNORED

Counting On - Part 8: You've Seen Half this Show Before

choralcrusader8613

"Walk through" I never understood that. Did they mean "work through", which would make more sense. :imho:

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

"Walk through" I never understood that. Did they mean "work through", which would make more sense. :imho:

It would if they knew the definition of work. 

14 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

"Walk through" I never understood that. Did they mean "work through", which would make more sense. 

The term 'Walk though' always makes me think they're wandering through the forest or something. 

"Lions and Tigers and Josh! Oh, my!"

Too be fair though, I would be terrified if I ran into Josh in the forest (or anywhere for that matter). 

I just watched a few of those TLC Me interviews with the brothers and I have to say, I am starting to like JD more and more.  He is so relaxed in those interviews and talkative.  And he seems very comfortable with the pretty interviewer. 

Don't get me wrong,  he probably has the same crazy beliefs as the rest of the family, and is a bit of doofus, but I think he is a stand up guy and if what we are seeing in those interviews is somewhat accurate about his personality,  then I think it is shame that he and the other brothers were rarely ever featured in the original shows, and for that matter in the new series. 

I really hope that JD has had a chance to meet some 'normal' people in his more independent endeavors.  No doubt compared to other 26 year old men he has been kept on a shorter leash,  but I think his leash has been longer than any other Duggar still living at home.  And with that extra inch or two of freedom he surely has encountered some people or circumstances that have made him look at things differently, even if just for a second.  If he and Jana are close, I would love it if the two of them could quietly disengage from the madness and branch out.  Jana's chances are close to nil, most likely, but maybe JD's are better and with that, he might influence Joe and Josiah.    

Speaking of Joseph,  he seems like a sweet kid.  I hope his time away at fake college was fun for him.  He was one of the more insightful kids when interviewed in the first 3 counting on specials.  He was the first one that I recall who actually said that even as a young kid, when he found out what Josh had done, that he wasn't as close to him anymore.  It sounded like when Josh was forced to confess his sins in church, or perhaps to the family as a whole, that at that point Joseph was insightful enough to realize that it was a big deal, and that it affected how he could relate to his brother from that point forward.  Everyone else just seems to be heartbroken over the second scandal.  Joseph is also the one that seemed to have insight into how exposing your life on TV and profiting from it will make you fair game for criticism and examination. 

Re: this last episode.  As boring as it was and filled with recaps,  those sad interviews with Jessa and Jinger showed real pain.  While I don't think it should be used for profit by TLC,  it did make me think that in the hands of empathetic and skilled counselors and documentary filmmakers,  there could have been something really powerful and healing come from this for these kids.  Joseph's comments show that all the kids were affected ( the ones old enough to understand it) by Josh's actions when they happened.  The separation that was put in between the girl and boy siblings, the distrust that was amplified by the incredibly poor handling of the situation hurt them all.    And of course for the victims, it could have been healing and even inspirational to other victims.  But again, the Duggurnaut took the wrong turn, blamed everyone else for their troubles and persecution and minimized the trauma of sexual abuse in the family. 

3 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Here are the life-changing events I would be thrilled to see:

<snip>

Jana announcing that she has met a gentleman farmer and they are to be wed in the summer.  His farm is in Iowa.

<snip>

Oh darn, guess that counts me and my Nebraskaness out! :pb_rollseyes:

31 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I took it as a loose reference to Bible verses like the 23rd Psalm (walking through the valley of the shadow of death, etc.)

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I took it as a loose reference to Bible verses like the 23rd Psalm (walking through the valley of the shadow of death, etc.)

Ok. That makes some sort of sense. Still sounds kind of weird to me.

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Ok. That makes some sort of sense. Still sounds kind of weird to me.

It's totally weird! Especially since they all use it and it's such an unusual turn of phrase.

4 hours ago, nst said:

I took one for the team and bought and read US weekly 

We get a picture of the six of them parents and kids

joint interview by the girls 

Spurgeon is rolling over (oooh) 

both want to adopt but will accept another kid via the natural way

Izzy doesn't like the pen Jill uses to get him to do things-but likes to run and have his teeth brushed and flossed 

Spurgeon is laid back like his father 

When Israel met Spurgeon he tried to climb in the car seat to kiss him and now talks like him 

Jessa spouts  her input output verses

nothing other major 

OK, I never watch the show as we don't have cable, but W The actual F? She uses a pen to make a one-year-old do things? Because flexible rulers are so 2002?

6 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

The idea of sharing the most intimate of acts with someone that I have never been allowed to even be alone with before, is horrifying to me.  The first time I had sex was when I was 17, and had been dating my boyfriend for several months. It might not seem like a long time before having sex, but we spent a lot of time together, going on dates, or just hanging out and of course, making out.  We had at least built up a level of trust, had gotten to know each other somewhat, had shared stories about our childhood or other past experiences, had been physically close, and developed a bond between us.  How can you achieve that if you are not allowed to spend any time alone with each other; when every conversation or phone call is monitored because a "purity inspector" is listening in? 

A very close friends of mine was raised in a strict Brahmin family in India--by her family's standards, her father was progressive as he sent his children to school (Catholic school, driven there and back, right through college). Her marriage was arranged and she met her husband once in the presence of both families (for him to check her out, "nobody asked what I thought). Luckily he is a good guy and very progressive but it could have (and for at least one sister did) work out differently.

"I think maybe the Indian system is not so good. You never go out with a boy; you don't even talk to a boy. And then one night there you are in the bedroom."

I had to get caught up here while I can before the next 10 days happen.

My son and his fiancee' are on their way home from five states away.  Yippee!!  I finally get to meet my DIL-to-be in person.

That being said -- I need to ask all of you FJ kinfolk for a BIG favor:  I seriously have to curtail the potty mouth/swearing.  Which isn't gonna be easy.  She grew up VERY conservatively (ugh) and wouldn't view it kindly.  Plus, the new in-laws are so conservative Baptist it isn't funny, especially the dad. (Bride actually served two years' hard time at that horrible Pensacola college.) ... But they're not "legalistic" because they wear pants.  (true story) Anyway ... Here's how goofy it gets:

Bride's mom called me to ask where my son should stay while at their home. Because Dad's family "would have a fit if they knew he was sleeping there."  I replied:  1. They're not animals in heat. 2. My son is a gentleman and respects house rules. 3. It's not really any of the family's business where my son sleeps, is it?

Never mind that said son & fiancee' will be staying at his sibling's house for two nights, where said unmarried sibling lives with her man.  (They've been together 5 years.)  And that they're sharing a hotel room tonight whilst on the road.

Same Daddy-o refuses to allow alcohol or dancing at the wedding reception.  Which is unfortunate.  Considering the forced level of polite interaction I'll have with the idiot ex and his bitchy new wife.  *le sigh*

SO - I need suggestions of creative words I can use instead.
Ready. Set. Go!!!

P.S.  LOVED the Jungle Love parody above ^ ^ ^.
P.P.S. Could we please have "Purity Inspector" from ^ ^ ^ as a post count title???

13 hours ago, nst said:

I get that impression every time they kiss. 

It's like they haven't figured out the kissing part.

The only part they figured out is the Spurgeon part

Insert slot A into tab B.

Or, per Jim Bob, the Lego (tm) method. Things just click into place. :pb_lol:

12 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Don'tcha' know, it's a song!

(to the tune of 'Jungle Love' by The Time)

I, I've been prayin' hard
I think, I wanna court ya
Said I, I'm a little righteous
Girl, I'd love to show ya

My Fundie love, yeah

(holy holy oh)
I think, I wanna know ya
Fundie love

(holy holy oh)
Marry me, I'll show ya

I'd come up with the rest, but I need sleep. Fun fact: Prince cowrote that song with two members of The Time. He also played all the instruments except the guitar on the recording.

LOL!!!!!! Right after I saw her reference on "Fundie Love," this started going through my head and I was starting to come up with some lyrics, but you beat me to it.

Too funny!!!

@ChickenettiLuvr If you need to swear at someone (ie. bitchy new wife) a well placed passive aggressive "well bless your heart" has always served me well.  

5 hours ago, nst said:

I took one for the team and bought and read US weekly 

We get a picture of the six of them parents and kids

joint interview by the girls 

Spurgeon is rolling over (oooh) 

both want to adopt but will accept another kid via the natural way

Izzy doesn't like the pen Jill uses to get him to do things-but likes to run and have his teeth brushed and flossed 

Spurgeon is laid back like his father 

When Israel met Spurgeon he tried to climb in the car seat to kiss him and now talks like him 

Jessa spouts  her input output verses

nothing other major 

What does this even mean? Is this a discipline tactic? Using a pen? :confused2:

Thank you so much, @fundiesarefascinating.  Although I lived in the South for several years, I've pretty well forgotten how to use a well-placed "Bless her heart."

I'm gonna have to start saying "cheese & crackers" or "Uffda" (suggested by a Minnesota friend) instead of my usual "Well, hell."  or "Sweet baby Jesus."  Otherwise said in-laws will be taking up a collection for my salvation.

17 minutes ago, VanillaBean said:

OK, I never watch the show as we don't have cable, but W The actual F? She uses a pen to make a one-year-old do things? Because flexible rulers are so 2002?

didn't you see in some videos - she uses a marker

Honestly, when my son began to walk, it was because he saw a very shiny Mont Blanc gold pen he was after.
It was a great motivator!

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I can't imagine being told exactly when I should lose my virginity. I made my own decision, and it was long before Mr. Wolf. Neither of us felt like we were drinking out of a cup that had been spit in, and it's been 40 years. I think that if my first sexual encounter had been on my wedding night, and that wasn't my choice, I would have been terrified.

What gets me is they all pretend (I'm sure it's pretending) that all is OK and that they had this happy kiss and went from 0 to 60 in like 8 hrs with no ill effects.  Some like Jill you know that there was no waiting, or if so it could have only been a few days.  But to think that in reality she is so happy about it... It seems none of us experienced-in-dating-and-kissing-before-marriage heathens could do that without emotional strain, so how can we believe it for her.  Especially having a history of being a molestation victim in your past.  I feel so bad for what I am assuming she must feel inside, but will never show.  But I am sure she would try to convince us all with a perfectly straight face that everything went according to God's plan and even the traumas brought them all closer to God.

8 minutes ago, nst said:

didn't you see in some videos - she uses a marker

Oh, well, then there you go, a marker, that's a totally different situation :) 

Seriously, no, I can't watch. Just can't. But I love to read this stuff anyway. 

3 minutes ago, nst said:

Pickles just posted that Jill is asking for help about Izzy 

with toys and such

Wait, wait, wait..Please tell me she is not getting paid by a reality show and asking for people to send toys. I know she is dim but please don't tell me she is that dim.

1 minute ago, socalrules said:

Wait, wait, wait..Please tell me she is not getting paid by a reality show and asking for people to send toys. I know she is dim but please don't tell me she is that dim.

No, she's asking stuff like "When did you expect your kid to start helping pick up their toys?"

36 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

I had to get caught up here while I can before the next 10 days happen.

My son and his fiancee' are on their way home from five states away.  Yippee!!  I finally get to meet my DIL-to-be in person.

That being said -- I need to ask all of you FJ kinfolk for a BIG favor:  I seriously have to curtail the potty mouth/swearing.  Which isn't gonna be easy.  She grew up VERY conservatively (ugh) and wouldn't view it kindly.  Plus, the new in-laws are so conservative Baptist it isn't funny, especially the dad. (Bride actually served two years' hard time at that horrible Pensacola college.) ... But they're not "legalistic" because they wear pants.  (true story) Anyway ... Here's how goofy it gets:

Bride's mom called me to ask where my son should stay while at their home. Because Dad's family "would have a fit if they knew he was sleeping there."  I replied:  1. They're not animals in heat. 2. My son is a gentleman and respects house rules. 3. It's not really any of the family's business where my son sleeps, is it?

Never mind that said son & fiancee' will be staying at his sibling's house for two nights, where said unmarried sibling lives with her man.  (They've been together 5 years.)  And that they're sharing a hotel room tonight whilst on the road.

Same Daddy-o refuses to allow alcohol or dancing at the wedding reception.  Which is unfortunate.  Considering the forced level of polite interaction I'll have with the idiot ex and his bitchy new wife.  *le sigh*

SO - I need suggestions of creative words I can use instead.
Ready. Set. Go!!!

P.S.  LOVED the Jungle Love parody above ^ ^ ^.
P.P.S. Could we please have "Purity Inspector" from ^ ^ ^ as a post count title???

Chickenetti, have you watched R rated movies on TV?  There are some really creative substitutions for 'bad words' to pick up on. ;)

Right now I'm thinking of the movie "Mommie Dearest", especially the scenes when Joan Crawford was in meetings with the Pepsi bigwigs after her husband died. 

'F*ck you, fellas' turned into 'Fist you, fellas'... which is worse if you ask me. ;)

Just be nice and I'm sure you'll do fine. ;)

Oh boy.  I agree with you on that "substitution."

Cheese & crackers it is, I guess.

10 minutes ago, anotherone said:

What gets me is they all pretend (I'm sure it's pretending) that all is OK and that they had this happy kiss and went from 0 to 60 in like 8 hrs with no ill effects.  Some like Jill you know that there was no waiting, or if so it could have only been a few days.  But to think that in reality she is so happy about it... It seems none of us experienced-in-dating-and-kissing-before-marriage heathens could do that without emotional strain, so how can we believe it for her.  Especially having a history of being a molestation victim in your past.  I feel so bad for what I am assuming she must feel inside, but will never show.  But I am sure she would try to convince us all with a perfectly straight face that everything went according to God's plan and even the traumas brought them all closer to God.

I completely agree!

The whole virginity thing has been such a big deal for these girls. Their entire lives they get preached at about the importance of purity, they literally get rings as a pledge to remain pure for the 'one God has for them'. Personally I, like many people on this forum find this practice utterly repugnant. I can only imagine what a toll going from 0-100 in a matter of hours would be, I think there would be lasting effects for the individuals concerning worth, etc. I know there would be for me. I would feel this crushing pressure knowing that everyone in attendance at my wedding would know what I'm getting up to later that night.  Don't even get me started with JB & M constantly talking about grandbabies and alluding to sex, I'm a grown woman and I would find that kind of attention from my parents mortifying. 

I am lucky to have been raised to make my own personal choices and not have to worry about my parents, other loved ones, and complete strangers know in great detail about my sex life. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived