Geechee Girl

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

Not to trivialize an otherwise serious conversation, but, um, you got some recs? :kitty-shifty:

There's a thread discussing Korean beauty products here:

:)

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Geechee Girl said:

Her new pics kind of got lost due to Bey dropping Lemonade. Lil Kim is now unrecognizable. I believe her extreme body modification is the tragic result of colorism and the resulting internalized self-hatred. She was so naturally beautiful. It breaks my heart that brown girls learn that beauty comes with light skin and "good" hair.

12599436_1609672319355225_2019484782_n.jpg

My god she looks awful 

9 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Check out the new series Underground on WGNA. You'll see that house slaves were no better off than the others. All female slaves were subject to rape by any white man, and any resultant offspring got no inheritance.

That in my show! We need a FJ thread on it. I'm completely spent after viewing. I'm a mess each episode. I was wailing seeing that baby's first day in the fields, but I digress.

As a woman on the lighter end of the spectrum, I think we've shared similar experiences with shady comments. It's a can't win situation sometimes. High school was the worst.

12 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

That in my show! We need a FJ thread on it. I'm completely spent after viewing. I'm a mess each episode. I was wailing seeing that baby's first day in the fields, but I digress.

As a woman on the lighter end of the spectrum, I think we've shared similar experiences with shady comments. It's a can't win situation sometimes. High school was the worst.

I too love the program, binge watched it last weekend and yes it is quite an emotional experience..

Start that thread, I'll join you in the discussion. Jussie Smollett is hardly recognizable compaired to his Empire character, and his acting is better too. Chris Meloni as a bad guy, not sure I line of that after his LAO stint.

On 4/29/2016 at 9:40 AM, nausicaa said:

Do you think it's helped at all to have a very fashionable and high profile First Lady who does not have a very light complexion? (At least to my eye.)

I can't speak for young girls, but back during Obama's first run for president my then 7 year old son was incredibly excited that "the president looks like me!". He's still the first guy we point to as a role model, not just because of his accomplishments but because he's never tried to appear "not black"

And speaking as a straight white guy, if she was trying to make herself more attractive to us, she failed.

On 4/30/2016 at 11:15 AM, nausicaa said:

Not to trivialize an otherwise serious conversation, but, um, you got some recs? :kitty-shifty:

Anything by Innisfree I like.  I LOVE their masks and their sunscreen is one of the very, very few that doesn't bother my skin. Innisfree Eco Safety Perfect Waterproof Sunblock (SPF50+/PA+++) is the one I use (alcohol free, IIRC).

Kikumasamune Sake Skin Lotion High Moisture is one of my favorite skin lotions.  It's going to shock you if you aren't used to thinner Japanese formulations (it's not creamy, it's more like water).  I like this because it is a moisturizing toner, so it's a little thinner on my face for the mornings.  Also, the bottle is HUGE and lasts FOREVER.  

Shiseido Anessa Perfect (Japanese line) is my FAVORITE face sunscreen ever (primer AND sunscreen!), but it is a bit pricey, which is why I moved on.  

Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream is a must for summer, IMO.  It's very cooling and refreshing on the skin, so I love to put it on after a long day in the sun.  You do have to get over that the active ingredient is snail mucus, though it is harvested on cruelty free snail farms!  GREAT if you have scars of acne that doesn't heal well.  

My Beauty Diary also make good masks.  I use them when I'm in more of a floral mood (Innisfree is more herbs/plants/berries).  

And of course the Joseon Beauty Moisture Whitening Anti-wrinkle Cream, though I haven't used that enough to comment too much on it, though it is very popular.

All of these I got off Amazon with Prime shipping :)

If you are sensitive to alcohol, you may want to do extra diligence before buying.  A lot of thinner Asian moisturizers use a bit of alcohol, which makes them really great to people with acne prone skin, but if your skin is super sensitive, it may bother it (though the amount is usually trace enough that many people report they don't have issues).  

If you are concerned about trying brands you have no experience with, a lot of brands that sell in the US have Japanese lines that you can get off Amazon as well!

I want to clarify some of my points I made upthread about plastic surgery. I don't have a problem with it done in moderation and if it helps you to be your best self. If Michael Jackson, for example, had stopped after his first or second nose job (i.e., around Thriller), no one would have thought him strange at all, at least in terms of surgery. However, his eighth or ninth nose was so deformed, I'm not even sure it could really be called a nose; it seems like there would be major ethical issues with trying to do the kind of things he wanted done, but when you're Michael Jackson, I imagine it's not hard to find someone willing to do what you want. The same is true for Lil Kim. She looked so normal and cute in the first photo, much like Michael Jackson as a young man, and then when you look at her today, all you can think is, "What happened? How could anyone think this looks good?" Despite our Eurocentric standards of beauty, the over-surgery "Madamism" look is not considered attractive for most people, whether in show business or out of it. There comes a point with surgery where you split into the uncanny valley territory, and it seems like Lil Kim has reached that point. The only answer I have is that perhaps Lil Kim has body dysmorphic disorder, which means that she doesn't see what everyone else sees when she looks in the mirror. But I am not a degreed medical or psychological expert, so I could be wrong.

I wonder what her daughter is going to think when she's older. Lil Kim has self esteem issues. I think it started with biggie and how he married faith so fast. 

14 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

I wonder what her daughter is going to think when she's older. Lil Kim has self esteem issues. I think it started with biggie and how he married faith so fast. 

Yes, I think Faith was a big part as well as the culture of that time was all about light-skinned video girls with "good" hair.

Lil' Kim doesn't have that much of a legacy either. I came of age around her peak and I still had to think about what she's done besides Lady Marmalade with P!nk, Mya, and Christina Aguilera. Even then she was overshadowed by the other three. 

@Lyle Lanley you've prompted me to take a trip down memory. It's hard to believe "The Jump Off" was 13 years ago. Now I feel old. You're right though, I forgot she was even in Marmalade.

There's also How Many Licks. I was watching the video (I knew the song but had never seen the video) and it was like watching an extremely over sexualized Nicki Minaj video. And everyone made a fuss about Anaconda. I can't imagine that the How Many Licks video would get released now. 

I have to think hard to remember her songs, but the first thing that comes to mind when I hear her name is that time she had to have her stomach pumped and there was 12 ounces of semen in there... I'm sure it's more likely she collapsed on stage from alcohol or drugs and the semen was just an innocent bystander that they also pumped out but I can't erase that memory. 

I did like her song "Conceited," though when you look at her self esteem issues, the song loses some value. 

TBH the only thing I really know Lil Kim for is her feud with Nicki Minaj.

And all I know is Nicki Minaj's diss tracks got way more attention than Lil Kim's...

Lil Kim in these pics looks like a Barbie, ironically. And not in the good way.

Archived