IGNORED

Sister Wives 3 - Collective in Crisis?

@SilverBeach I had a new episode - the Thanksgiving one.  I don't think it had aired before?  THEN the catfishing one.  If the thanksgiving one is an old one, I am off my SW watching game ARGH

Mr MM learned a new word tonight: catfishing.  Reminds me of the time he learned "selfie stick" and "furries."

I am glad TLC is still the "Learning" Channel (snort).

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, there was a new episode tonight for sure. The Thanksgiving Feast. Meri and Janelle were trying to work together to make decorations in their pursuit of cooperation. Janelle just doesn't like crafts. Christine is turning into the cheerfullest one. 68 people. Tons of food, Heartwarming if only they weren't who they are.

Kody hung lights out to the center of the cul-de-sac and almost killed himself on a ladder to do that which I thought was nutty. All the kids were home for Thanksgiving which Kody said might be the last time they were all there for a holiday. 

Meri and Janelle did go on a bit about trying to get along. That was boring to me. The scene at the end with the big meal was nice for all of them. 

Yes, I am in the US of A. 

I thought this was new, as the new fiancee Caleb was there.... were they engaged last season?

And Hunter came back from AF school.

I could be off a season, I know I have a short attention span.....

My understanding is that the Thanksgiving one is the new one for tonight. I must be right. Mustn't I?

@SilverBeach. Did you name yourself after Silver Beach in St. Joe Michigan? I remember you said you grew up in Chicago. I grew up in South Bend, IN. Went to Silver Beach once as a kid and seem to remember an amusement park. My first and last roller coaster ride. 

27 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Yes, I am in the US of A. 

I thought this was new, as the new fiancee Caleb was there.... were they engaged last season?

And Hunter came back from AF school.

I could be off a season, I know I have a short attention span.....

Eek! I was napping and slept through tonight's  new SW episode, darn it! I will catch it on demand tomorrow. Y'all are right!

Silver Beach (metallic) is the color of my car, a pretty goldish silver that I love. South Bend is beautiful, with Notre Dame and St. Mary's.

I just assumed my O-L-D condition kicked in, someone ran a re-run, and I was satisfied, yet confused. 

Look, squirrel!

@SilverBeach. Ah....your car color. Not the beach itself. I checked and there is no longer an amusement park there. I remember it being old a long time ago. So they must have done away with it. Or I am mistaken as to its location. Or something. Lake Michigan was always to me very cold for swimming. 

I was able to catch most of the new episode tonight about Thanksgiving.  It was pretty much a snore.

My favorite moment:
Robbbbbyn decided to decorate the "nursery" as half boy, half girl.  Literally painting King Sol's side of the room blue, and Princess ArielAribelaAricelaAceolaArgentina's side of the room pink.
And Christine flat-out told her it was stupid!  YES!!!

So even though the nursery was filled with tons of crappy-crap-crap (making me think King Sol had not yet inhabited this room for mere mortals), the finished product did not include pink paint/blue paint meeting in the middle.  Instead, she decorated each half of the room accordingly.  Still a a little unusual, but not keep-you-up-at-night-awful.

In the Catfish special, they tried to get "Sam" to appear. They called "Sam" and talked to the guy with the southern accent that Meri described. He said he was real and that Meri was the liar. Surprise surprise, when they asked for a picture of him with Meri or if he would Skype with them, he declined. WONDER WHY HE DID THAT

Hmmm - "Sam" was tweeting that Fox news called for a follow up after the Catfish story aired and it was 'up next'.    Don't suppose this can be proven?  Or dis-proven?  

Someone is really working hard at the details for this fictional guy. What's the point, do you suppose?  

18 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

In the Catfish special, they tried to get "Sam" to appear. They called "Sam" and talked to the guy with the southern accent that Meri described. He said he was real and that Meri was the liar. Surprise surprise, when they asked for a picture of him with Meri or if he would Skype with them, he declined. WONDER WHY HE DID THAT

I so wish they would have aired this phone call during the show. 

I start to feel kind of bad for Jackie - I mean ... there is obviously mental illness in play here but at some point you just have to let it go, no? When Meri says in this catfish show that she felt very uncomfortable in the presence of Jackie, that must have hurt her as she probably would love to be in a lesbian relationship with Meri.

Also not sure why Meri agreed to do this show, isn't it all embarrassing enough?! I feel for Mariah. 

On 5/23/2016 at 10:34 PM, ChickenettiLuvr said:
And Christine flat-out told her it was stupid!  YES!!!

So even though the nursery was filled with tons of crappy-crap-crap (making me think King Sol had not yet inhabited this room for mere mortals), the finished product did not include pink paint/blue paint meeting in the middle.  Instead, she decorated each half of the room accordingly.  Still a a little unusual, but not keep-you-up-at-night-awful.

I thought the split window treatment looked very stupid. Who is she fooling? Everybody knows its one room. She should rent one of Meri's spare rooms, haha.

21 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Um, maybe because their love is real and he doesn't want to EXPLOIT Meri? Jeez!

But seriously, in the circles I used to run in, a big butch like Jackie would be in high demand among the local lesbians. They're so rare that she really wouldn't even need to be employed. I'm not sure why she doesn't just find a girlfriend at the nearest gay bar or on OkCupid (queer girls' favorite). There are lots of rural femmes looking for a butch. 

I thought it was interesting in the Thanksgiving episode where Meri throws Christine under the bus over the table setup, even though it was originally Meri's idea to change it.  I would hate to have to deal with that in my family all the time.  Janelle and her just seem like 2 completely different people and would probably have a hard time getting along in the workplace, much less in a family setting.  I agree with others that said Meri seems very unhappy and takes her angst out on others, how tiring for everyone else.  I think out of all the wives, she would benefit most from a monogamous relationship.  As far as the next episode, I completely understand where Mariah is coming from, but she has such an immature way of expressing herself.  

3 hours ago, Nancy Drew said:

I thought it was interesting in the Thanksgiving episode where Meri throws Christine under the bus over the table setup, even though it was originally Meri's idea to change it.  I would hate to have to deal with that in my family all the time.  Janelle and her just seem like 2 completely different people and would probably have a hard time getting along in the workplace, much less in a family setting.  I agree with others that said Meri seems very unhappy and takes her angst out on others, how tiring for everyone else.  I think out of all the wives, she would benefit most from a monogamous relationship.  As far as the next episode, I completely understand where Mariah is coming from, but she has such an immature way of expressing herself.  

In fairness to Mariah, she is only 20.  It takes time to be able to separate yourself from your parents and I'm not sure a 20 year old in college is able to totally do that.  

13 hours ago, SweetLaurel said:

Hmmm - "Sam" was tweeting that Fox news called for a follow up after the Catfish story aired and it was 'up next'.    Don't suppose this can be proven?  Or dis-proven?  

Someone is really working hard at the details for this fictional guy. What's the point, do you suppose?  

Attention, I would think. Anyone that does this needs some serious therapy. The person seems to crave companionship and, sometimes, are narcissists. Catfishing someone famous is pretty ballsy, but the attention that blog and those Twitter accounts is getting - both bad and (surprisingly) good - is probably making Jackie so happy.

12 hours ago, SummerRocks said:

I so wish they would have aired this phone call during the show. 

I start to feel kind of bad for Jackie - I mean ... there is obviously mental illness in play here but at some point you just have to let it go, no? When Meri says in this catfish show that she felt very uncomfortable in the presence of Jackie, that must have hurt her as she probably would love to be in a lesbian relationship with Meri.

Also not sure why Meri agreed to do this show, isn't it all embarrassing enough?! I feel for Mariah. 

I forgot where it was, but I've definitely heard "Sam's" voice before. I think it was on a now private Instagram (@notbatmanyet73). The Southern accent is convincing on the surface but isn't really that great a male voice. I could see how Meri was duped by it.

As for why Meri agreed to continue speaking about it, I think it's because this is a very real and sad and emotional thing for a person to go to, and it takes someone very strong to speak out. Frankly, wouldn't anyone be embarrassed to have fallen for this? But I think the more attention that's brought to the subject, the better, so people who have been catfished feel a little less alone and so people who haven't been can be vigilant of the signs to protect themselves.

I do feel for Mariah, and it's clearly taken a toll on their relationship. It seems like they'll be covering that this week.

I keep wondering how much longer this can possibly go on -- not the TLC storylines, but the whole JO situation. 

8 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

As for why Meri agreed to continue speaking about it, I think it's because this is a very real and sad and emotional thing for a person to go to, and it takes someone very strong to speak out. Frankly, wouldn't anyone be embarrassed to have fallen for this? But I think the more attention that's brought to the subject, the better, so people who have been catfished feel a little less alone and so people who haven't been can be vigilant of the signs to protect themselves.

I agree to an extent. If I never read anything about the whole Jackie situation online (mainly here on Freejinger) I would be so confused by all the talk about it on Sisterwives and now the catfish "special". I don't think the Browns are being transparant about what really went down, should they?! Of course not ... but they (the adults on the show) did choose to be in the public eye by signing up to have a reality show years ago. 

More attention to the catfish phenomenon - great! But doing this while your relationship with your daughter (who never chose to be in the public eye) is rocky because of it? No ... just my humble opinion.

I thought Mariah sounded, from the promos, not necessarily too harsh on her mother, but more that she's taking the situation too personally. It's like when you're a kid and you don't realize that your parents, perhaps especially your mother, have inner lives and identities outside of being your mother. As you get older you come to this realization more and more and separate your identity from that of your parents. When this happens you don't take your parents issues and failings personally when the issue isn't directed at or about you. Instead you think of it as you would a friend going through problems that may or may not be the result of their own mistakes. You just offer support and may feel bad about the situation but not angry and indignant. Mariah hadn't gotten there yet. I feel she should be closer to that at her age but I'm also biased because I stopped taking my moms issues and choices personally and focusing on my own life probably much earlier than most. 

Also the whole thing being in the public eye adds another layer to it, but Mariah is an adult and could choose not to participate in the show if she has s problem with it. I wish some of these adult kids would take that stand 

I think Mariah will be later than average coming to that position because I don't think that attitude is encouraged in her family situation.  They are used to living an enmeshed life and not maintaining normal boundaries.  First she has to learn what appropriate boundaries are and then learn to see her mother as a completely separate individual.  Having been the two of them against the rest of the family for almost all of Mariah's life, she may feel the divorce and catfishing have left her alone but still not understanding why she feels that way so she blames her mother. 

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I think Mariah will be later than average coming to that position because I don't think that attitude is encouraged in her family situation.  They are used to living an enmeshed life and not maintaining normal boundaries.  First she has to learn what appropriate boundaries are and then learn to see her mother as a completely separate individual.  Having been the two of them against the rest of the family for almost all of Mariah's life, she may feel the divorce and catfishing have left her alone but still not understanding why she feels that way so she blames her mother. 

Totally agree.  It's an incredibly enmeshed situation that also involves an us v. them mentality.  Mariah always benefited from Meri's position, and I think it'd be impossible to fail to notice that within the family (except Kody, as his head is firmly ensconced within his own ass, so he doesn't see much else).  I think Mariah and Meri, with the organic foods while everyone else budgeted, the more expensive schools, and all the other benefits, had quite the high position within the family.  But now that Meri's fallen from grace, Mariah's position is unstable.  Mariah was quite committed to the lifestyle for a number of years; she's only recently gone on record to state the polygamy is not for her.  I think a lot of children (even grown ones, or semi-grown ones) would be upset about a parent's infidelity, emotional, physical, or what have you.  Mariah has the added burden of very complicated family dynamics, and for the moment, it appears her mother is bearing the brunt of her anger. 

On 5/24/2016 at 10:08 AM, SweetFellowshipper said:

Um, maybe because their love is real and he doesn't want to EXPLOIT Meri? Jeez!

But seriously, in the circles I used to run in, a big butch like Jackie would be in high demand among the local lesbians. They're so rare that she really wouldn't even need to be employed. I'm not sure why she doesn't just find a girlfriend at the nearest gay bar or on OkCupid (queer girls' favorite). There are lots of rural femmes looking for a butch. 

It sounds like Jackie is one of those people who have made catfishing a perverse lifestyle. The idea of having a semi normal real world relationship has probably never crossed her mind.

Jackie's at it again, this time trying to take down one of her former victims, Cheryl, whom she claims has 101 Twitter accounts to "stalk" "him." Meri talks to Cheryl, and I assume their friendship was founded on Meri finding out the truth about "Sam".

How can Jackie possibly have all these Twitter accounts shut down?

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived