IGNORED

Sister Wives 3 - Collective in Crisis?

Season 7 starts soon.

Will Meri admit to the error of her ways?

Will Robyn continue to rule the roost?

Will Kody get a new hairstyle?

Part 2 can be found here:

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed that once scandal hits these TLC "reality" shows, the producers, editors, or whoever never actually show any of the fallout. I suppose with the Duggars they've suppressed their emotions for so long that they wouldn't know a real emotion if it punched them in the face, but the Browns do seem able to emote in a semi-normal way, but last season SW largely danced around the elephant in the room. Maybe they'll be more forthright this season, but I doubt it.

I am sorry friends and mods, I didn't know it was bad to do a "mark the spot", sorry sorry all. #bloodatonement #mybad :(

Anywaaaay, I am new to the Browns ---know a bit about the story and the show, but not as much as you all are. I look forward to learning and LOLing along with all y'all!!!  :my_heart:

Just now, MarblesMom said:

@SilverBeach I believe it is May 5th?  Ready for a Cinco de Mayo with quatro esposas (four wives)?!

@seattlechic what is a "mark the spot?"

It is a quick post that just says "marking my spot" so i can find the thread later -done in other forums. :(

Ok, I learned something new!  Thanks.

Looking forward to a new season of SW - hoping the Kode-meister headed to SuperCuts before they started filming!

2 hours ago, seattlechic said:

It is a quick post that just says "marking my spot" so i can find the thread later -done in other forums. :(

At least on my browser, there is a blue line that marks where I have read up to on every thread (provided I read it while signed in).  So I don't think there's much need to do that here :) 

I love on the commercial when Christine says (about Meri's transgressions) "I th ought we were all tighter than this." Really? Has she not seen what we've seen for the last 6 seasons? The fracturing of their family cohesion since the 4 wife entered? 

3 minutes ago, Chicken bones said:

I love on the commercial when Christine says (about Meri's transgressions) "I th ought we were all tighter than this." Really? Has she not seen what we've seen for the last 6 seasons? The fracturing of their family cohesion since the 4 wife entered? 

I feel like Christine, while very sweet, also tends to live in a lot of denial.  She doesn't like to confront things, so she seems to like to stick her head deep into the sand and pretend things are perfect.  

You see this a lot with her and Kody.  She'll pretend everything is perfect until she can't take it anymore, and then suddenly they are in crisis.  Mostly this is Kody's fault, and it's true that he will try to weasel out of smaller conflicts, but Christine is really bad about not expressing herself fully until it's really late.  

After watching the promo- I am really wanting to see what Maddy's announcement will be this season.... 

23 minutes ago, TXGirlInAMaterialWorld said:

After watching the promo- I am really wanting to see what Maddy's announcement will be this season.... 

The announcement will be that she is engaged. It has already been in all the tabloids. (Guilty checkout reader here :my_blush:)

18 hours ago, BamaBelle said:

The announcement will be that she is engaged. It has already been in all the tabloids. (Guilty checkout reader here :my_blush:)

And it's all over her twitter. She's a very active poster. 

@seattlechic-- No worries! I just did something similar and got a warning. It's hard adjusting to different forums sometimes. :)

You'd think with four wives, Kody would be slightly more invested in being a better husband.

Oh wait.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:35 PM, MarblesMom said:

Ok, I learned something new!  Thanks.

Looking forward to a new season of SW - hoping the Kode-meister headed to SuperCuts before they started filming!

I'll give him a haircut he'll never live down.

So I'd like to say that this will be the season that I won't watch.  But I should be honest with myself.  I will of course tune in to watch this shit show.  However, if they try to gloss over it too much and ignore the big elephant in the room again I may throw something at the TV and turn it off. I may need to curse at Kodi/Meri and Robyn any way.  They all irritate me in different ways. 

1 hour ago, JMO said:

So I'd like to say that this will be the season that I won't watch.  But I should be honest with myself.  I will of course tune in to watch this shit show.  However, if they try to gloss over it too much and ignore the big elephant in the room again I may throw something at the TV and turn it off. I may need to curse at Kodi/Meri and Robyn any way.  They all irritate me in different ways. 

They'll probably pad 95 percent of the show with meaningless, scripted filler  and get to the catfishing in the last 10 minutes.

The catfish has written a second book about the Meri "affair." It's on his (her) website, notbatmanyet.com. 

The college kids are interesting. Mykelti, who was the rebel, dropped out of college and lives in St. George, Utah, where she has an LDS boyfriend and a full time job. Maddie, the other former rebel, is engaged at 20 to an older man and moved to rural Montana. She says that she will complete her education. She is evangelical Christian. 

Aspyn, the sweet popular one, joined a sorority and is still in school. Logan was always the quintessential oldest boy. He is at UNLV and has a conservative girlfriend who posts a lot about whiskey, guns, and country music. She is a master's student in criminal justice at UNLV. They seem like a pretty traditional Republican couple but clearly drink/have sex/etc.

Meanwhile, Mariah, who was hardcore about being a polygamist and incredibly religious, is a fucking badass. She's still in school and has become this intense feminist super pro-LGBT Bernie Sanders supporting leftist. I don't know if she identifies on the LGBT spectrum herself but thankfully her family has explicitly said many times that they support gay marriage and gay rights, so whether it's her identity, political views, or both, they'll be supportive. Regardless, her politics have done a 180 and she is involved in campaigning and activism. It's really fascinating and I think it happens a lot...the most intensely religious teens often become the most vocally radical adults, in my experience. Or when they leave, they REALLY leave. The shift is just totally crazy to watch.

On April 24, 2016 at 11:07 AM, SweetFellowshipper said:

but thankfully her family has explicitly said many times that they support gay marriage and gay rights, so whether it's her identity, political views, or both, they'll be supportive.

We hope. If they don't actually, at least the public will make them eat their words! 

They've always seemed quite liberal, for all their flaws interpersonally. They've said explicitly since the start of the show that they support gay marriage and rights and are aware it would be hypocritical not to, so I tend to believe them. They've also explicitly said they would support any gay or bisexual child and one of the moms (Christine, I think) said a child asked her about coming home with a girlfriend (hypothetically). She said that she told her the same rules would apply as if she brought home a boyfriend and she hoped she would wait for sex until marriage to the right woman, but otherwise it would not be a big deal. I don't think she'd outright lie about that. 

I think they have even said that statistically, they are aware that at least one or two of their kids is probably gay or bi, so it's something they expect. 

To be honest, I always thought that Mariah's insistence on sister wives was related to a desire for women herself. That is the case for many women who want "sister wives" who aren't living in an FLDS compound...there are dozens of polygamy dating websites and many of the women are gay or bi and crave female companionship. It's easy to see how a desire for women might translate when you grow up around sister wives to a confused craving for polygamy. I feel comfortable saying that, though of course I have 100% no idea (all speculation), because Mariah's family has repeatedly stated their support of any gay children, she is over 18, and she has lived away from family for several years. 

I do think the family would support a gay child, or a child that had a different lifestyle than the family. The Browns have a LOT of flaws, but I do think what they preach about family importance is true. 

On 4/24/2016 at 11:07 AM, SweetFellowshipper said:

The catfish has written a second book about the Meri "affair." It's on his (her) website, notbatmanyet.com. 

The college kids are interesting. Mykelti, who was the rebel, dropped out of college and lives in St. George, Utah, where she has an LDS boyfriend and a full time job. Maddie, the other former rebel, is engaged at 20 to an older man and moved to rural Montana. She says that she will complete her education. She is evangelical Christian. 

Aspyn, the sweet popular one, joined a sorority and is still in school. Logan was always the quintessential oldest boy. He is at UNLV and has a conservative girlfriend who posts a lot about whiskey, guns, and country music. She is a master's student in criminal justice at UNLV. They seem like a pretty traditional Republican couple but clearly drink/have sex/etc.

Meanwhile, Mariah, who was hardcore about being a polygamist and incredibly religious, is a fucking badass. She's still in school and has become this intense feminist super pro-LGBT Bernie Sanders supporting leftist. I don't know if she identifies on the LGBT spectrum herself but thankfully her family has explicitly said many times that they support gay marriage and gay rights, so whether it's her identity, political views, or both, they'll be supportive. Regardless, her politics have done a 180 and she is involved in campaigning and activism. It's really fascinating and I think it happens a lot...the most intensely religious teens often become the most vocally radical adults, in my experience. Or when they leave, they REALLY leave. The shift is just totally crazy to watch.

I think Mariah is just what happens when you have a kid who cares about what is 'right' and what is the 'truth'.  As a child, she would have trusted her parents and so it makes sense that if she really believes what they believe is right, then she should believe in all the doctrine, not just one.  The flip side to that is when something majorly conflicts with what her inner voice is saying and what her beliefs dictate, it becomes easier to shed them than some of the other kids.  

I think that some of her similarly aged siblings care less about if their beliefs are conflicting.  Some people just don't really care too much about justifying exactly what they believe and why if it isn't causing any real conflict in their lives.

9 hours ago, Shiny said:

I do think the family would support a gay child, or a child that had a different lifestyle than the family. The Browns have a LOT of flaws, but I do think what they preach about family importance is true. 

This is one of the reasons the family doesn't bug me too much.  There are plenty of messed up monogamous families, but as long as they are supportive of their children making different life choices, support their right to a good education and good health care, I don't really care too much.

1 hour ago, Natalie22 said:

I think Mariah is just what happens when you have a kid who cares about what is 'right' and what is the 'truth'.  As a child, she would have trusted her parents and so it makes sense that if she really believes what they believe is right, then she should believe in all the doctrine, not just one.  The flip side to that is when something majorly conflicts with what her inner voice is saying and what her beliefs dictate, it becomes easier to shed them than some of the other kids.  

I think that some of her similarly aged siblings care less about if their beliefs are conflicting.  Some people just don't really care too much about justifying exactly what they believe and why if it isn't causing any real conflict in their lives.

This is one of the reasons the family doesn't bug me too much.  There are plenty of messed up monogamous families, but as long as they are supportive of their children making different life choices, support their right to a good education and good health care, I don't really care too much.

I think that's very true. I know a lot of people found Mariah annoying, but I always thought she really believed in it and had strong values, moral guidelines, and principles. Then she realized when she was older that what she thought she believed in so passionately wasn't true. And she was willing and able to change. She seems extremely focused now on sharing and communicating her beliefs...her social media is full of stuff about racism, sexism, transphobia, raising the minimum wage, immigration, and homophobia. She seems like a kid who really thinks about what she believes. Some of the others, like Aspyn, Logan, and Mykelti, seemed less all about that and more like they just wanted to have fun and live nice lives (which is perfectly fine). I doubt Logan thinks too deeply about what he believes at his core. He's a seemingly nice guy with a nice girlfriend and he likes trying new foods and drinking and dancing and gets good grades and that's about it. Mariah seems very serious and always has. I can see that type of person being either fundamentalist or a very intense leftist activist because they both, in a certain sense, come from the same place in terms of desire. 

Maddie has morphed into what I thought Mariah was going to be as a young adult. She's getting married young and to an older man and had a short almost courtship like relationship to a man that most people would consider family.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived