IGNORED

RIP Prince (Merged)

47of74

40 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

I'm pretty sure that rating system helped artists. I remember wanting anything with an M on it.

THIS was my personal argument against labeling.  That's right make, it easier for kids to find the risque stuff.  

And if Tipper had paid attention to Little Red Corvette from circa 82/83 she could had figured out that Prince was out there in the realm of no desired for her kids' ears.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, clueliss said:

Prince's Purple Rain soundtrack - specifically the song Darling Nikki is what helped bring about the PMRC (Parents Music Resource Council) seemingly led by one Tipper Gore.  This led to Senate hearings (hello Al Gore) and the record industry labeling explicit music.  (all because Tipper's daughter wanted the soundtrack and Tipper wasn't bright enough to vet the music first).  Among the acts attacked by the hearings/PMRC was.... John Denver (Rocky Mountain High you know).  

And now Darling Nikki is played on the radio. It seems so tame compared to a lot of music that's out there now.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Florita said:

And now Darling Nikki is played on the radio. It seems so tame compared to a lot of music that's out there now.

So true. It almost seems PG compared to 2 Live Crew of the same era. My favorite early Prince songs were rarely ever played on the radio. I wore out my cassettes rewinding to listen to Sometimes it Snows in April, If I was Your Girlfriend, and The Beautiful Ones. 

21 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Still can't stand Tipper to do this day because of it. She originally wanted the ratings system to describe what exactly was explicit about the album, including a label for "occult." Still don't know what the hell that means...

And good for John Denver for standing up to it, even thought it wouldn't have affected his music. And I liked Dee Snider for telling them off when they implied things about his personal life. 

I love how Tipper was so confident that Denver would be on her side, and he utterly DESTROYED her(as did Snider and Frank Zappa).

• Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/prince-diagnosed-aids-weeks-before-7847295

I knew he couldn't have died just because of the flu. Sadly, he was diagnosed with aids a few months ago. And he trusted god to cure him. Another death because of fundamentalism

I am not a degreed medical expert, but it seems like late stage AIDS absolutely guts a person. If Prince did have AIDS and was dying from it, I don't see how he could have played what seems to have been an amazing concert a week before his death. By way of comparison, Liberace's last performance took place four months before he died, and he was so sick he couldn't even bow, although the playing was flawless. He disappeared from sight until he died from various AIDS related diseases.

I didn't want to believe the rumors had any validity. On a brighter note, the pics in the article show Prince in FLATS!

I heard about the AIDS, and I also heard a "certified medical expert" on one of the talk shows decree that the death was absolutely drug related.

I would hate to think either about Prince, as he seemed to have escaped all of that in his lifetime.

I've cared for people with full blown AIDS, and, as Cleopatra says, it guts them. I don't think Prince could have done a concert just days before his death. If so, the quality of the concert would have suffered.

Secondly, had drugs been in his system, the tox screen would have revealed it right away. Unless authorities are being cagey, we would know by now. Instead, we have the statement, "painkillers were found in his posession." 

I'd love to see this one just be a tragic death due to heart dysrhythmia or something like that. A tragic loss.

• Upvote 1

Sirius Satellite Radio has had a Prince tribute channel (#50) all week, & it's been great to hear songs that I'm not familiar with (which is a lot) or songs I haven't heard in many moons. Not sure how long it'll last, so listen to it if you can.

• Upvote 1

It is entirely possible to have serious reactions to pain meds without being an addict. My neighbor had an opioid prescription for a severe back issue. She only ever took half the dosage to knock the pain down since she had a young daughter to care for. The first time she took the regular dose she went to sleep and died. Even if Prince had an opioid overdose last week, it doesn't mean it was the typical abuse scenario. 

Secondly, had drugs been in his system, the tox screen would have revealed it right away. Unless authorities are being cagey, we would know by now.

But doesn't it take at least a couple weeks for the tox results to come back?  That's what I've always heard, anyway.

• Upvote 1

As soon as I hear "Cause of death not released, it will be several weeks pending further tests" or whatever, my head immediately goes to tox screen.  Seems like every big death has one (I think most recently Scott Weiland), and we hear they take a few weeks to complete. One of the saddest I remember was Heath Ledger.

If its something like a brain aneurysm or a heart problem they tend to just say so. 

• Upvote 1

It's so sad he passed away so young. 

The world needs people like Prince and David Bowie. The innovators, the poets, the dreamers, the artists not afraid to push boundaries.

This year really, really sucks.

46de51454cb138c4d7af21211890bf83.jpg

Edited by DaffyDill
  • Upvote 7

On 4/27/2016 at 5:28 AM, smittykins said:

I love how Tipper was so confident that Denver would be on her side, and he utterly DESTROYED her(as did Snider and Frank Zappa).

That was the best moment ever. I honestly don't think she expected, e.g., Dee Snider to be so articulate and have such well-formulated arguments.

She's such a pearl-clutcher.

• Upvote 2

I will have tot read the rest of the comment later, but I remember the 'Tipper' sticker era and Dee Snyder.He showed up all decked out in court. Did they know he has a college degree? IMO there were plenty of worse things that need to be labeled than Twisted Sister or, " Little Red Corvette"/.It may have been one reason Gore lost the presidency.

• Upvote 1

F the "pmrc". I remember that nonsense, too. 

Incidentally, Sirius channel #50 has extended the Prince tribute through May 7th. :chi-yes:

Edited by LadyCrow1313
forgot something
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

F the "pmrc". I remember that nonsense, too. 

Incidentally, Sirius channel #50 has extended the Prince tribute through May 7th. :chi-yes:

Thanks. I've been listening but never heard how long they'd play it. Haven't heard "7" yet, though. 

I was talking w/my mother & niece last night, & my niece (who's 18 & loves music) said that she's never heard anything by Prince. I gave her the "talk to the hand" gesture, & I plan to play Purple Rain for her asap. Maybe not all of it, perhaps, but I'll play her what I think is appropriate.

Now I realize that she's 18 & has most likely heard of all sorts of adult physical activities, but I'm still in Protective Auntie mode. So there. :P 

The hits keep on coming. Sirius has extended the Prince tribute through 5/13/16. Not that I'm complaining about this, mind you. :chi-yes:

• Upvote 3

On 5/5/2016 at 6:13 AM, LadyCrow1313 said:

I was talking w/my mother & niece last night, & my niece (who's 18 & loves music) said that she's never heard anything by Prince. I gave her the "talk to the hand" gesture, & I plan to play Purple Rain for her asap. Maybe not all of it, perhaps, but I'll play her what I think is appropriate.

Now I realize that she's 18 & has most likely heard of all sorts of adult physical activities, but I'm still in Protective Auntie mode. So there. :P 

Aw, c'mon, Lady Crow. Just let it all hang out and introduce her to "Erotic City" or "Let's Pretend We're Married," LOL! ;)

• Upvote 2

On May 7, 2016 at 8:43 PM, EyeQueue said:

Aw, c'mon, Lady Crow. Just let it all hang out and introduce her to "Erotic City" or "Let's Pretend We're Married," LOL! ;)

Also, "Cream" and "Gett Off!"

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

So sad. I really wish there was a non addictive medication for chronic pain. It's just too easy to get hooked.

• Upvote 1