IGNORED

Upcoming book about an anti-woman dystopian world--with rules taken from current fundamentalists

Rachel333

This seems pretty interesting to me, and relevant to what we discuss here. Like the author, it bothers me to see young women distancing themselves from feminism, so I hope this does help to shine light on abusive, misogynist practices that are happening right now.

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2016/04/19/novelist-creates-a-dystopian-world-for-girls-inspired-by-homegrown-fundamentalism/

On my goodreads list now.

I can't wait to read this. It sounds like a YA slightly-different version of The Handmaid's Tale. Atwood took all of her ideas from what was taking place in the culture at the time, and just extrapolated out. And I think Atwood was trying to draw attention to precisely what this author is talking about: despite what people think, the US is totally vulnerable to this kind of right-wing takeover.

We've been seeing it for at least the last 20 years as dominionists and fundamentalists try to take over school boards, local governments, wings of the federal government, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendation! Just finished this book. It was full of interesting concepts, but could have been stronger in terms of character development and world building. Maybe the sequels will pull that into better focus. That said, I'm donating it to a jr. High school library - hopefully it will be illuminating to some of the students.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2016 at 9:14 PM, EyeQueue said:

On my goodreads list now.

I can't wait to read this. It sounds like a YA slightly-different version of The Handmaid's Tale. Atwood took all of her ideas from what was taking place in the culture at the time, and just extrapolated out. And I think Atwood was trying to draw attention to precisely what this author is talking about: despite what people think, the US is totally vulnerable to this kind of right-wing takeover.

We've been seeing it for at least the last 20 years as dominionists and fundamentalists try to take over school boards, local governments, wings of the federal government, etc.

I have said it a dozen times recently:  I feel like The Handmaid's Tale is actually starting to come true.  I fully expect Donald Trump to advocate packing all the old crones like me off to "the colonies" and exchanging all the women left in America with Eastern European models.  

On 7/6/2016 at 11:57 AM, QuiverDance said:

I have said it a dozen times recently:  I feel like The Handmaid's Tale is actually starting to come true.  I fully expect Donald Trump to advocate packing all the old crones like me off to "the colonies" and exchanging all the women left in America with Eastern European models.  

Yep. Sadly.

When Atwood wrote it, she based everything off of things that were happening in the world at the time, only turned the volume up on it. If I remember correctly, she kept a scrapbook of news clippings.

It's so sad that however many years down the line (20+, I think), we haven't advanced from that and if anything freedoms relating to women are being walked back or eroded.

• 3 weeks later...

I read this book thanks to this thread.  I enjoyed it, but agree with a previous poster that it could have been stronger on character development and word building.  However, I'm eager for the sequels.

I too fear the The Handmaid's Tale is coming soon to the U.S.A. and it scares me.  I'm past child-bearing age so I would be an Unwoman or a Betty, my oldest would be a Handmaid, my second may or may not be a Handmaid due to medical issues, my son would end up in the Angles or the Eye, and my baby girl at the tender age of 8 would be ripped away from be, because her father and I are divorced.  It scares me to no end.  

2 hours ago, Gellhorn said:

Is it something like "The Gate to Women's Country" by Sheri S. Teper?

I've never met anyone else who has read this book! I accidentally stumbled upon it years ago and it's stayed with me, even more so than The Handmaid's Tale. I asked my husband to read it because I badly needed to discuss it with someone. He's a good egg.

It's as chilling as Atwood's book, but I appreciated how women used their wits to improve their living conditions within the confines of a patriarchal dystopian society. This book crosses my mind often, especially when I've spent some time reading various threads on FJ.

3 hours ago, Season of life... said:

I've never met anyone else who has read this book! I accidentally stumbled upon it years ago and it's stayed with me, even more so than The Handmaid's Tale. I asked my husband to read it because I badly needed to discuss it with someone. He's a good egg.

It's as chilling as Atwood's book, but I appreciated how women used their wits to improve their living conditions within the confines of a patriarchal dystopian society. This book crosses my mind often, especially when I've spent some time reading various threads on FJ.

It's stuck with me more than Atwood too.  I've read Atwood but mostly because I'm supposed to than because I relate to any of her characters or get any pleasure out of doing so.  With the exception of one book she wrote, The Robber Bride.  That one I do enjoy.

7 hours ago, ohSparkly1 said:

I read this book thanks to this thread.  I enjoyed it, but agree with a previous poster that it could have been stronger on character development and word building.  However, I'm eager for the sequels.

(snip)

I also read the book thanks to this thread. Agree with your criticisms. Quite a few things were badly explained, or given a "blink and you'll miss it" explanation. While the read kept me hooked, I got the feeling that it was too ambitious for its execution.

Granted, we are supposed to see the world as the protagonist experiences it, but that made for some rather shaky world-building. I would have liked a better explanation for what the faith is all about. It would have lent context. But I suppose the sequels will answer that.

On July 24, 2016 at 4:42 AM, samurai_sarah said:

I also read the book thanks to this thread. Agree with your criticisms. Quite a few things were badly explained, or given a "blink and you'll miss it" explanation. While the read kept me hooked, I got the feeling that it was too ambitious for its execution.

Granted, we are supposed to see the world as the protagonist experiences it, but that made for some rather shaky world-building. I would have liked a better explanation for what the faith is all about. It would have lent context. But I suppose the sequels will answer that.

I certainly hope they do.  I'm totally into dystopian novels right  now.  Any other recommendations would be greatly enjoyed!

On July 23, 2016 at 8:55 PM, Gellhorn said:

Is it something like "The Gate to Women's Country" by Sheri S. Teper?

I just downloaded this one. I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight! :) 

8 hours ago, ohSparkly1 said:

I just downloaded this one. I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight!

I hope you'll enjoy it.  If not, well, it's another book read and that is rarely a bad way to spend two hours or so.

15 hours ago, Gellhorn said:

I hope you'll enjoy it.  If not, well, it's another book read and that is rarely a bad way to spend two hours or so.

I'm over half-way done right now.  Highly enjoyable.  I never have as much time to read as I want.

When I travel for work and it's a short overnight trip, I need 2-3 books. A week-long trip is 7-8.  I forgo sleep when I travel just so I can read.  The TV usually doesn't come on, except maybe for VERY soft background noise.  I love my books.  So very much. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2016 at 0:00 AM, Season of life... said:

Someone gave me a copy of Tepper's book years ago, and it has stayed with me. It's been years since I last read it, so my memories may be a bit off, but one thing that reminds me of Free Jinger fundies is the names given to the religious folk: Retribution, Resolution, and Diligence for some of the men, for example. 

Another thing is how it seems years of SOTDRT has had an effect on the overall wisdom or intelligence of the group, ignorance passing on ignorance to further generations. 

And the genetic disorders from generations of incest...so many parallels to our FJ fundies. 

Sorry if these are spoilers...

FYI, the Kindle version of this book is 99 cents on Amazon. I can't wait to read it. I also requested The Gate Women's Country from the library.

I read The Handmaid's Tale as a teenager and several times since and it's just chilling. It scared the hell out of me when W was president and it seems like things have gotten even more vocal since then.

I read this on your recommendation! It was fantastic. Can't wait for the next one in the series, hope it's not too long! 

Archived