IGNORED

Ben, Jessa, Spurgeon Six

SpoonfulOSugar

1 minute ago, TuringMachine said:

At the college I went to I knew a few transgender people and they all had no problem getting the school to use their non-legal names. Student ID's and class lists all had the correct names. They were still listed as their biological sex though.

I don't know exactly what the issues are where I work. I do know that the folks in the Records office are generally slow about processing name changes.  

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Coy Koi said:

Jermajesty has always cracked me up. Also, T.I. has a kid with the middle name Ya'Majesty. His first name is Messiah. Messiah Ya'Majesty. There are not enough eye rolls in the world.

I was surprised when JillyMuffin finally gave birth and they didn't name the kid Messiah, for all the drama over that baby. I get that a baby is a special addition to a family, but outside the family and close friends it's just business as usual. The way they and the media behaved it was the Messiah child. 

12 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Snipped.

But maybe it is a silly concern. As I said, 3 trans cases in my little world in one year has made me sensitive to the problem.

I know only one transgender person.  When Stephen announced that he was transgender, a lot of us assumed he'd become Stephanie.  But like @VelociRapture's experience, she said that she'd considered that more simple change, but she wanted her new name to reflect her new life as a woman, not just to be an altered version of her original name, and she became Monique.  

9 hours ago, nausicaa said:

All five of his sons are named George. Per wikipedia: "George Jr., George III ("Monk"), George IV ("Big Wheel"), George V ("Red"), and George VI ("Little Joey")."

And apparently, he also has a daughter named georgetta. I don't know who this guy is, but man, this is creeepy

9 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

I was surprised when JillyMuffin finally gave birth and they didn't name the kid Messiah, for all the drama over that baby. I get that a baby is a special addition to a family, but outside the family and close friends it's just business as usual. The way they and the media behaved it was the Messiah child. 

I didn't start really reading up on the Duggars until the scandals. But I was surprised how many, on this and another snark site, were so obsessed with these pregnancies and babies. Is it a boy? Is it a girl? Relax, I'm sure it's one or the other!  

5 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I didn't start really reading up on the Duggars until the scandals. But I was surprised how many, on this and another snark site, were so obsessed with these pregnancies and babies. Is it a boy? Is it a girl? Relax, I'm sure it's one or the other!  

When Jill was pregnant it was like royal baby watch, only with much dumber fans (I'm referring to the folks on their Twitter and Facebook pages). It was obsessive, and not in a cute way. They would post photos of JillyMuffin writing thank you notes, eating spicy food, all that crap. And the leghumpers would eat it all up, sharing their baby stories including a woman who shared all of her weekly bump pictures (while standing next to a five foot tall chalkboard illustrating all the wondrous things going on inside her). Speaking of names, that poor kid was named Holden Ronald. Anyway, yes it was over the top. 

Speaking of names....

if you have ever had to look up a urologist you may have come across one named Dick Tapper. I'm dead serious. You can look him up. He's real.

Think I would have stuck with Richard, or Richie, or Rich, or anything but Dick.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Speaking of names....

if you have ever had to look up a urologist you may have come across one named Dick Tapper. I'm dead serious. You can look him up. He's real.

I love those names. They're called Aptronyms. My personal favorite is a record breaking Olympic hurdler named Maria Stepanova (steppin' ova).

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Think I would have stuck with Richard, or Richie, or Rich, or anything but Dick.

Yeah. I had a teacher Mr. Stroecher, pronounced Stroker, the rumor was he went by Dick. 

I hope he had enough sense to use Rich or something. 

13 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

And apparently, he also has a daughter named georgetta. I don't know who this guy is, but man, this is creeepy

George Forman does have a daughter named Georgetta.  For you kids, George Foreman formerly held the world heavyweight boxing title two times, but is probably most known nowadays as the spokesperson for the George Foreman grill. 

George Foreman

On 5/25/2016 at 0:29 PM, Chicken bones said:

Back on my family history (early last century) was a cousin named "Major" as a first name. Imagine how goofy it was when he entered the army for WWII as a private....

News reporter (CBS?) named Major Garrett .    Every time I hear it I think of my father in law's dog, Major. 

23 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I love those names. They're called Aptronyms. My personal favorite is a record breaking Olympic hurdler named Maria Stepanova (steppin' ova).

Bill Lear (of Lear Jet fame) named one of his daughters Shanda.  

There was a doctor Proctor in the hospital where I worked. And a

Dr. Bang. A dentist near my daughter's college: Dr. Paine.

Shanda Lear?  Oh, no. no, no. The mother must've had general anesthesia.

1 hour ago, ksgranola1 said:

There was a doctor Proctor in the hospital where I worked. And a

Dr. Bang. A dentist near my daughter's college: Dr. Paine.

Shanda Lear?  Oh, no. no, no. The mother must've had general anesthesia.

The doctor who removed my gall bladder was Dr. Sharp.  

Someowhat tangentially, there is a feminist scholar with the misfortune of sharing her name with Pamela Anderson. She always uses her middle name, Sue.  :doh:

ETA: My high school driver's ed teacher was called Mr. Car.

The doctor who removed my gall bladder was Dr. Sharp.  

There's a urologist around here named Dr. Nutting.

Ok, just have to jump in here. In my little corner we have had Dick Little, Dick Flood, Payne Fuller, Mercedes Karr, Spring Berry, and Max Long. Do people not think when they name their children? 

Crazy names! I knew of a guy named Harry Rump! He wasn't Henry, Harold or Hank, but Harry!!!

20 minutes ago, Markie said:

Crazy names! I knew of a guy named Harry Rump! He wasn't Henry, Harold or Hank, but Harry!!!

There was a kid in my high school named Harry Sax. Actually it was Harrison but you know high school kids.

Dad's urologist is Dr. Wood. There's also one named Dr. Weiner. He was featured on the tonight show. :pb_lol:

I wonder if you have such a name you feel compelled to go into that profession,

On 5/28/2016 at 0:20 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Speaking of names....

We had an OB-Gyn in town named Dr. Grab :3 

On 5/28/2016 at 3:09 PM, PennySycamore said:

George Forman does have a daughter named Georgetta.  For you kids, George Foreman formerly held the world heavyweight boxing title two times, but is probably most known nowadays as the spokesperson for the George Foreman grill. 

And he also named all of his sons (like 5 of them), George. What an asshat.

My OB-Gyn was Dr. Work.

I know of a Randy Dick.  Why in the name of God if one's last name is Dick, why would you give him the first name of Randy.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived