IGNORED

Ben, Jessa, Spurgeon Six

SpoonfulOSugar

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Didn't she change her name and join FJ? 

Calling @JermajestyDuggar...

I've never had a different name on FJ but I did choose this name because Jermajesty Jackson is my all time favorite celebrity child name. And it's a J name! So the Duggars would approve. Just pretend I'm the 20th Duggar.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

I've never had a different name on FJ but I did choose this name because Jermajesty Jackson is my all time favorite celebrity child name. And it's a J name! So the Duggars would approve. Just pretend I'm the 20th Duggar.

I meant you changed your last name :my_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

I meant you changed your last name :my_biggrin:

Oh yes. I decided to leave one giant fucked up famous family for another. Jackson Duggar might take my place so he can be Jackson Jackson. 

12 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I worked with a nurse named Teddy Bare.

we had 2 nurses at our company--Nurse Needle and Nurse Doctor.  those were their real last names.

9 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

I used to date a guy whose stepmother was a special Ed teacher in the Chicago Public Schools. She once had a student named Aft'yrnoon D'lyte, and there was a family in the same school whose kids were all named for Cadillac models. And there was an inventor and upstanding citizen from Denver who carried the name Timber Dick. Stranger still was that his roommate at Yale was a guy named Richard Swett, and you guessed it, he went by Dick. 

you just reminded me--I knew a guy in high school whose name was Peter Swett.

3 hours ago, Snarkylark said:

I think that's a little bit ridiculous. There are still two biological sexes that are very different from each other. To suggest that names should be "neutral" in case a minute number of people want to change it is a little silly. There are probably more people who have stupid names chosen by their parents that want to change their name as opposed to transgendered people wanting to change their name. 

I don't know about ridiculous, but I agree that it is extreme.  I was just pointing out that if parents are concerned about names that their kids will be comfortable with, gender neutrality should perhaps be a concern. 

Agreed that a lot of parents give stupid names, but those aren't the parents who would be worrying about the effect of their names on kids, so they will continue to give their kids stupid names. 

Personally, I gave my kids names that could have a variety of nicknames so that they could choose their "identities" as they got older.  Probably if I were doing it now, I would pick names that lent itself to a gender neutral nickname and/or had a different gender counterpart that allowed itself to be changed easily. (Charles/Charlotte; Patrick/Patricia instead of Margaret or Chloe or Jason or Mark.).  

But maybe it is a silly concern. As I said, 3 trans cases in my little world in one year has made me sensitive to the problem.

16 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Do you havae a nickname for her, Evie, or do you call her Evelyn?

I call her Eve, Evie or Evy depending!

@PennySycamore I know! I don't mind kids with classic names but jeez.... lol

1 minute ago, 19Kittens said:

I call her Eve, Evie or Evy depending!

@PennySycamore I know! I don't mind kids with classic names but jeez.... lol

My middle son, 27, mentioned once he wanted to name a daughter Evelyn. Not married yet, but he has a great girlfriend who he needs to marry because I like her so much. I'll have to mention the Rose name for a middle, or maybe I shouldn't because that might end the whole idea of Evelyn. Clearly, I love beautiful names. And having no daughters, only 3 sons, that is part of it. 

My daughter who never appeared, lol, was going to be Ellen. My grandmother's name. 

I know, I am just fascinating when I go on and on. 

1 minute ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

My middle son, 27, mentioned once he wanted to name a daughter Evelyn. Not married yet, but he has a great girlfriend who he needs to marry because I like her so much. I'll have to mention the Rose name for a middle, or maybe I shouldn't because that might end the whole idea of Evelyn. Clearly, I love beautiful names. And having no daughters, only 3 sons, that is part of it. 

My daughter who never appeared, lol, was going to be Ellen. My grandmother's name. 

I know, I am just fascinating when I go on and on. 

My Eve was supposed to be Tahlia Rose, but her dad & I were split up thanks to hormonal pregnancy insanity when I gave birth, so I was like "I did the work, I pick the name!" She's technically Evelyn Jane Rosaline (Jane being my great grandmother, Rosaline being his great grandmother) But we usually just use Evelyn Rose as her "get your butt over here" name & Evie Jane as a sweet nickname. lol

I like to talk about my toddler a lot. hahaha.

:my_blush: I like strange names, less likely to forget the person.

I wanted to name my daughter Ouida after my grandma but my husband said no only because it rhymes with our last name. Funny there is a fundy who has a daughter with the same name as our daughters but different spelling. We named her after a TV cartoon and 

If this baby is a boy I like the name Ptolemy but husband says no so it looks  we'll have a Tennyson. 

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

I don't know about ridiculous, but I agree that it is extreme.  I was just pointing out that if parents are concerned about names that their kids will be comfortable with, gender neutrality should perhaps be a concern. 

Agreed that a lot of parents give stupid names, but those aren't the parents who would be worrying about the effect of their names on kids, so they will continue to give their kids stupid names. 

Personally, I gave my kids names that could have a variety of nicknames so that they could choose their "identities" as they got older.  Probably if I were doing it now, I would pick names that lent itself to a gender neutral nickname and/or had a different gender counterpart that allowed itself to be changed easily. (Charles/Charlotte; Patrick/Patricia instead of Margaret or Chloe or Jason or Mark.).  

But maybe it is a silly concern. As I said, 3 trans cases in my little world in one year has made me sensitive to the problem.

My brother celebrated one year of publicly being out as a Transgender man recently. He was given a first name at birth that is technically gender neutral, but is used a bit more for females. He could have kept the first name, but he wanted his own identity and his old name was too closely tied to his previous identity (like another poster mentioned.) We grew up with a kind of unusual German last name and people automatically knew who we were in our hometown when they heard it. So he changed the entire thing. His first name honors our paternal Grandpa (his nickname), middle name is what he would have had if he had been born with male sex organs, and his last name is my mom's maiden name. I've got to say, he did a fantastic job picking out that name. It really suits him well!

We're fortunate to live in a state where name changes and birth certificate changes aren't that difficult to do. So I have no issues with giving my baby a gender specific name - if it turns out it doesn't match their gender identity I'd be more than willing to do what is needed to alter that for them, as well as birth certificate changes and hormone therapy. Surgery may be another matter - I think I'd want to wait on some of that until my kid was an older teen, just so we can be completely sure that was the choice they wanted. But that's also something a good therapist trained in gender identity issues could help us work out.

I can see, however, why someone might lean towards gender neutral if they live in a state where those things are tougher or impossible. It could make life a bit easier on the child and the parents. The kid might still want to change their name, but at least the parent(s) can feel like they tried to make it easier.

On the subject of strange names my cousin was asked to help a girl, Pocahauntas with her reading at school. Fine name for a native American princess but not so good if you live in the West of Scotland, Same goes for the child from Glasgow who was named Sparticus. When my sister was pregnant with my nephews every name we discussed my dad would think of insults they may get at school. 

4 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

On the subject of strange names my cousin was asked to help a girl, Pocahauntas with her reading at school. Fine name for a native American princess but not so good if you live in the West of Scotland, Same goes for the child from Glasgow who was named Sparticus. When my sister was pregnant with my nephews every name we discussed my dad would think of insults they may get at school. 

Was that really how she spelled it? with "haunt us" in it? or is that just a spelling error? That would make it even worse. 

17 hours ago, catlady said:

i do payroll, so i see a lot of HR records--while Truly Precious is a new one for me, we've had a lot of Preciouses over the years.

I know someone named Precious. 

They are not precious at all. Actually probably one of the nastiest people I've ever met..

I'm thinking of them piece-meal now......some other employees at my company:  Diamond, Little Mary (not as good as Little Johnson upthread), a man named Kim--Kim is his middle name, and he goes by that (like Evelyn and Shirley, Kimberly long ago was predominantly masculine).  also, 2 women in food prep named Nancy Baker and Yvonne Cook.

3 hours ago, catlady said:

we had 2 nurses at our company--Nurse Needle and Nurse Doctor.  those were their real last names.

you just reminded me--I knew a guy in high school whose name was Peter Swett.

I had a coworker when I used to haul Chemicals named Peter Semens. Another coworker who ran down to the States often used to ask him back at the yard every time he saw him "Hey, does Semens come out of your Peter?" :my_rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, Alachantal said:

I had a coworker when I used to haul Chemicals named Peter Semens. Another coworker who ran down to the States often used to ask him back at the yard every time he saw him "Hey, does Semens come out of your Peter?" :my_rolleyes:

I bet that got old fast.

13 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

In high school I went to this camp thing, and one of the speakers was a man named Dick Rash. He got up in front of hundreds of teenagers and introduced himself as such. For the life of me I cannot understand why that man didn't go by Richard or Rich or Rick or R-Dawg or Ricardo or ANYTHING other than Dick.

Makes me think of Dick Armey and Dick Butkis. Seriously, you already got stuck with those last names and didn't decide to go with "Richard"?

7 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Which reminds me of one of the stupidest celebrity names, IMHO. Jermaine Jackson named a child Jermajesty.

His brother may have him beat. The full names of Michael Jackson's two sons are "Prince Michael" and "Prince Michael II." No narcissism there... And Paris's middle name is "Michael" as well. 

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

My brother celebrated one year of publicly being out as a Transgender man recently. He was given a first name at birth that is technically gender neutral, but is used a bit more for females. He could have kept the first name, but he wanted his own identity and his old name was too closely tied to his previous identity (like another poster mentioned.) We grew up with a kind of unusual German last name and people automatically knew who we were in our hometown when they heard it. So he changed the entire thing. His first name honors our paternal Grandpa (his nickname), middle name is what he would have had if he had been born with male sex organs, and his last name is my mom's maiden name. I've got to say, he did a fantastic job picking out that name. It really suits him well!

We're fortunate to live in a state where name changes and birth certificate changes aren't that difficult to do. So I have no issues with giving my baby a gender specific name - if it turns out it doesn't match their gender identity I'd be more than willing to do what is needed to alter that for them, as well as birth certificate changes and hormone therapy. Surgery may be another matter - I think I'd want to wait on some of that until my kid was an older teen, just so we can be completely sure that was the choice they wanted. But that's also something a good therapist trained in gender identity issues could help us work out.

I can see, however, why someone might lean towards gender neutral if they live in a state where those things are tougher or impossible. It could make life a bit easier on the child and the parents. The kid might still want to change their name, but at least the parent(s) can feel like they tried to make it easier.

Those are good points. I was thinking more of the hassle that people have changing their names rather than their wanting nee identities.  Off-hand, of the trans people I know, about half have come up with new names that connected to their old names and all of these had names that could be "regendered" easily.   (For example,  a Charlotte who was nicknamed Charlie all her young life who became a young man named Charles legally but continued to go by Charlie with family and old friends.).  

So it seemed to me, based on a very narrow experience, that names that aren't too gender-inflexible might be prefered.  However I can understand wanting new identities.

My stepdad always used to talk about his grandpa Seymour and I never thought anything of it until he mentioned his full name one time, which was Seymour Hisscock. Different times, different times. 

35 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Makes me think of Dick Armey and Dick Butkis. Seriously, you already got stuck with those last names and didn't decide to go with "Richard"?

His brother may have him beat. The full names of Michael Jackson's two sons are "Prince Michael" and "Prince Michael II." No narcissism there... And Paris's middle name is "Michael" as well. 

Didn't George Foreman name a whole bunch of his children George?

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

3 hours ago, Casserole said:

Was that really how she spelled it? with "haunt us" in it? or is that just a spelling error? That would make it even worse. 

Just noticed the typo I'm sure hope they spelt it correctly 

57 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Didn't George Foreman name a whole bunch of his children George?

All five of his sons are named George. Per wikipedia: "George Jr., George III ("Monk"), George IV ("Big Wheel"), George V ("Red"), and George VI ("Little Joey")."

17 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Anyway, you would think that changing your name is the least of your worries when going through the transition from male to female or female to male, but the school roll tends to use your legal name and changing that before your transition is complete is hard.  So the student shows up as Susan Smith and has to tell the professor that he is really John Smith.  And the professor has to remember when entering grades.   It would be so much easier if the parents had named their baby something gender neutral (like "Ray" or "Sandy" or "Lee" ) or with an androgynous nickname ("Pat" or "Chris" or "Alex").

At the college I went to I knew a few transgender people and they all had no problem getting the school to use their non-legal names. Student ID's and class lists all had the correct names. They were still listed as their biological sex though.

I'm simultaneously wowed by the cleverness of some parents, and horrified by the cluelessness of others.

I have a name that was extremely popular once upon a time, so much so that in my first grade class there were seven of us. My parents did not use the traditional spelling, guaranteeing me a lifetime of sadly staring at correctly spelled souvenirs in gift shops. Tragic.

I once knew a girl named Razzi Berry. Her name fit her; she was a darling.

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jermajesty has always cracked me up. Also, T.I. has a kid with the middle name Ya'Majesty. His first name is Messiah. Messiah Ya'Majesty. There are not enough eye rolls in the world.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived